Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 73257 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 06:28:28 pm »

In tundra, you will have to go through multiple soil layers of aquifer (just one aquifer layer? psh, regen the world, silly person.) There won't be a cluster of hope somewhere in the map. You have three wood, and are not going to find any stone for at least a layer or two. You are going to need to freeze the aquifer in a 4x4 square (maybe you can 3x4 it, i dunno) to decend through.  This can be done rapidly, even with a single miner, but you open yourself up to surface undead flyers.

And, this is the main difference between the two in my opinion. Glaciers have a calmer cast of wildlife then tundra. Specifically, there are no glacial flyers. Undead yetis always showed up solo in glaicers. Undead weasel people horde spawning immediately? You may not even be able to get your wagon torn apart (I didn't). In the tundra, you are going to have to breach the surface, to a more ferocious set of creatures, to get through the aquifer. 

Hm, interesting.  I apparently hadn't thought that through as far as you have.  I always thought soil layers would have some rock in them here and there.  However, if you have a clay layer you can use clay in all the ways you use ice, as far as I know, and it'll never melt.

Well, if IvyLashes fails I'll definately poke around and see if I can find Tundra instead of Glacier.  I actually thought I was doing it the harder way on glaciers!

However, and my apologies for this, but my gaming will be slow for a while.  I just wrecked my cycle last night and while I'm fine in general, my right shoulder is pretty banged up and really doesn't like moving my arm around much.  Believe it or not flipping between keyboard and arrow keys is actually a pretty fair distance with a sprained shoulder.  I'll see if I can figure it out though, I really want to get IvyLashes down into the caverns.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 06:55:24 pm »

In tundra, you will have to go through multiple soil layers of aquifer (just one aquifer layer? psh, regen the world, silly person.) There won't be a cluster of hope somewhere in the map. You have three wood, and are not going to find any stone for at least a layer or two. You are going to need to freeze the aquifer in a 4x4 square (maybe you can 3x4 it, i dunno) to decend through.  This can be done rapidly, even with a single miner, but you open yourself up to surface undead flyers.

And, this is the main difference between the two in my opinion. Glaciers have a calmer cast of wildlife then tundra. Specifically, there are no glacial flyers. Undead yetis always showed up solo in glaicers. Undead weasel people horde spawning immediately? You may not even be able to get your wagon torn apart (I didn't). In the tundra, you are going to have to breach the surface, to a more ferocious set of creatures, to get through the aquifer. 

Hm, interesting.  I apparently hadn't thought that through as far as you have.  I always thought soil layers would have some rock in them here and there.  However, if you have a clay layer you can use clay in all the ways you use ice, as far as I know, and it'll never melt.

Well, if IvyLashes fails I'll definately poke around and see if I can find Tundra instead of Glacier.  I actually thought I was doing it the harder way on glaciers!

However, and my apologies for this, but my gaming will be slow for a while.  I just wrecked my cycle last night and while I'm fine in general, my right shoulder is pretty banged up and really doesn't like moving my arm around much.  Believe it or not flipping between keyboard and arrow keys is actually a pretty fair distance with a sprained shoulder.  I'll see if I can figure it out though, I really want to get IvyLashes down into the caverns.
You need the stone for clay. Kiln cannot be built from wood (or ice).

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 07:00:05 pm »

Ah, good point.  I'd forgotten about that.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 08:43:08 pm »

Alright. Here is as much evil tundra as I could jam into a small world. Noteable features: Plenty of perfectly flat, terrifying tundra, 3 necro towers, all embark sites tested have been reanimating and clouding. I don't know how deep the aquifers go, because I haven't been able to survive long enough, but they are at least two deep. Lots of good embark sites along that NE edge, and a few scattered around in the middle.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Map is here.

PS 2x2 embarks add Fun!

lechium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 08:22:46 am »

Thanks for doing the challenge and recording it! Hope you'll be fit enough soon to continue Ivylashes.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 09:59:14 am »

Ok so...
I have little experience playing in Evil biomes (bad enough in regular Wild ones), but decided to give this challenge a try.
Genned my world, single-pick embark on an evil tundra, walled everyone in a hole and dug to the cavern layers... Everything as good as it gets, with lots of dehydration and starvation until i had the GENIUS IDEA of butchering my Yaks for food.

HOW FUN IT IS WHEN UNDEAD YAK SKIN KILLS YOUR WHOLE EMBARK PARTY!
Totally doing this again.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 12:01:42 pm »

If you put an aquifer layer in, you are likely going to have to butcher that there yak.

Anyway, your first few reanimating attempts will be demolished by reincarnation spirals.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 04:16:53 pm »

I did this challenge back in the old thread. It certainly is fun, but the challenge of this one comes in the first year where you are getting yourself established. After that, it becomes a standard evil embark. Granted there is a good bit of luck in those first 2 seasons that will determine whether you crumble or not. Big thing is have the first "small" room designated and your chosen dwarf with mining labor enabled and ready to go into the absolute nearest wall before you unpause the first time. The longer your dwarves have to be on the surface for any reason the more likely someone is going to die and start a cascade.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 08:03:05 pm »

IvyLashes continues to prosper, albeit slowly.  We've had more migrants come by, a bit more success with our meat industry, and the caravan has came and left!  Our migrants bringing their animals with them are causing other issues, and while helpful, they're also deadly due to the loss of our earlier undead slaughtering system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvtaxZWAAPs

... and we still haven't found the caverns.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »

Hey Edge, question.

I was just screwing around with the Tundra Biome Aquifer with the freeze-drill method.  I can get through it relatively quickly even with a no skill miner (8th of slate, 3 layers) but I was curious, what's your method for dealing with the lack of stairways back out for your miner?  You can't drill into the walls and you've got nothing to build stairs with, and you've removed your ramps to be able to downstair dig for the next layer.

There's two ways I can see doing it.  One, create an ice quarry for stairway materials.  Two, use an oblong dig (4x3, 6x5, 8x7, etc) and leave the extra row for a ramp out, but that creates its own issues if you misjudge the depth and have to rebuild all the levels above to reramp them.

Note: IvyLashes still lives, I just wanted to play a bit. :)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:51 am »

Often times ice drilling is kinda ad hoc. I have really solid success with going with a 5x5 or a 5x6 starting plot and then making each subsequent layer one dimension smaller eg 5x5 becomes 4x5 becomes 4x4 becomes 3x4 becomes pray you don't have another aquifer layer or plenty of ice. I prefer channeling and ramps to stairways when ice drilling.

If you want to do the stairway route, you want to make sure you leave that tile you want your stairway as an aquifer, not channelled out into ice. So, for example, if this is what you want: (I is ice, S is stair)

IIII
IS.I
I.. I
IIII

Then when you are digging out your layer, you want to leave the spot for the stairway undesignated, and channel the rest. Once you have ice in the layer, it will look like this
IIII
IAII
IIII
IIII where A is an aquifer tile you can safely drill into without flooding.

Anyway, ultimately, I stopped using staircases all together. If you make a mistake, you need to do a whole bunch of construction/deconstruction that end with FUN, and it seemed like I things never went as smoothly as I imagined it should be able to.

BTW, slate 8th is much faster then I usually work. I'll get under the surface and walled in and such, but I will set up shop assuming i've got giant raven corpses upstairs, and am going to need to kill a pack animal.  I have gotten -very- good at killing one or both pack animals while I wait for flying corpses to leave. The trick is to drop a floor tile into a water filled garbage dump, removing the ramp so you can dump your nervous tissue, cartilage, and hair into the pit and then prevent the undeads from getting out. Spinning threads isn't worth it, but tanning the hide is.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:06:28 am by edgefigaro »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 11:18:45 am »

Does nervous tissue and cartilage reanimate? I've never seen happen before...

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 12:15:32 pm »

WanderingKid, edgefigaro, good luck completing my challenge! BWAHAHAHA! It is doable and you can learn a LOT in the process! I am glad to see someone considers my challenge worthy.  ;D

Dwarf me plox!  :o
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:27 pm »

Hey Andrakon?

Your videos were both interesting and entertaining.  I feel like I'm struggling to keep the content interesting while still showing the pertinent parts of the challenge.  This seems like as good a place as any to ask, any recommendations, if you've watched over my vids?

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 02:02:36 pm »

Hey Andrakon?

Your videos were both interesting and entertaining.  I feel like I'm struggling to keep the content interesting while still showing the pertinent parts of the challenge.  This seems like as good a place as any to ask, any recommendations, if you've watched over my vids?

Regardless your videos had some interesting ideas and tricks to get past this challenge and I learned some things. (I am rusty and have not played since I made those videos so I forgot a LOT of things!  :o )

Most of being entertaining is just experience and growing confidence in talking to yourself on camera! :P It took me about 12 half hour long episodes before I was more relaxed on camera.

One tip is finding something to say while you are waiting on the action. This can be anything you are comfortable with sharing with the audience. I would recommend things like telling stories of past forts, mentioning random bugs related to what you are doing if you know of any, musing out loud about random weird things in the dwarf fortress world, or maybe even bragging about your DF accomplishments or completed personal challenges.

Also a really good idea is to talk about different ideas of interesting things to do in dwarf fortress that newer people to the game may think is a good idea to try out! Lesser done things like silk production using a cave spider or better yet a giant cave spider, taming weird things like dragons or crocodiles, lava cannons etc. And of course mentioning alternative ways to do what you are doing is also good, especially if you can think of a better way to do whatever it is you are doing.

Honestly, becoming a chatter box is something you would have to train yourself into.  :)
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32