Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 73688 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:25 pm »

This project looks awesome!

could I be dwarfed into a metalsmith?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2014, 01:50:37 pm »

I just wanted to say again how much I've enjoyed the series.  Yesterday I watched part 5 again to get some technical details and ended up marathoning the whole thing all over again.  Now that you have the surface pretty much undead free, the next time you dont feel youre in danger of ambushes/sieges, you might want to set up a couple migrant traps on the surface that dont have them pathing the same way as the undead.

Spoiler: Migrant Trap (click to show/hide)

Both bridges raise to the north.  The white bridge would stay up all the time while the brown one would stay down.  When a migrant wave comes, you activate the meeting area inside.  When everyone is in, raise the brown and lower the white.

One of these on each edge of the map should greatly increase the chance of getting migrants/liasons in safely.  Just a thought, of course you should continue doing what you think is best  :)

DeusMortem

• Bay Watcher
  • my dwarf has an atrocious spatial sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2014, 04:40:41 am »

since i so far refused and dont intend to get a google acc i write it here thanks for a great LP and the load of technical details tried similar settings for the single pick challange but mainly used weapon traps and atomsmashing for the undead ... lots of micromanaging and lever pulling so i gave up after my dwarfen civ died out but now i ll try your setup wont make it to the king/queen though since i use population cap
Eripe Diem

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 20, 2014, 12:36:20 am »

Elves, Dolwin, Dues, thanks for the kind words.

Dwarfing has occurred, and a new FC is up.

http://youtu.be/4nxAOpLKEq8

Cave in on a FB, some discussion of dropping ice in a frozen biome, a few other things, and 15 hours of personal to find 1.5 seconds of corrupted video causing me ridiculous headaches in trying to edit and produce the video... but it's done now. :)

Edit: Enizer, apologies, I'll get you next episode, I just forgot your request when I was looking through the tail of the thread.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:53 am »

Awesome ice tower is awesome. I generally have my ranged military do a thing where they go
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Instead of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I find it allows for more coverage of the surface, especially in conjunction with another archer squad that has the opposite schedule.

Anyways, good to see the fort is still going. This is by far the oldest fort I've actually seen, looking at the rooms and rooms of green glass pots really makes my 5-6 year long forts look tiny. Its super interesting looking at something this many in-game years in front of anything I've ever done. Especially the minecart bits which really bend my mind to think about.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 29, 2014, 01:13:35 am »

Yeah, I'll get there, once I have more squads.  At that moment I just wanted to spam a few into place to show what I'd intended.  I'll do something similar to that too once the Live Fire Pit is up (1/3 months at the pit).  Edit: I do however usually use a 3 month rotation for defense because of how long it takes to get the dang dwarves on point sometimes, particularly if they need to go get ammo and stuff. /Edit

The fort is roughly 35 years old.  I currently keep around 2500-3000 prepared food and 5-6k in drinks generally for storage.  The rest of that is plant and food storage (dog meat, for example) to be used eventually.  That huge room though, that's ALL booze.

None of the minecart pieces, by themselves, are all that complex, I promise you.  It's like building with legos.  First you build one part, it does what you want.  You add to it, that works too... etc.  Eventually you end up with the insanity that is the OMG for slaughtering the Undead and a massive minecart network to feed magma where you want it that's been expanded 5 times (and is currently getting a 6th drop point for the Live Fire Pit so I can cleanse it if necessary).

What will really bend your mind is at some point I'm going to do a rolling credits of every slab I've HAD to create (some of which are actually goblins but they're labeled as dwarves because of a bug).  Well, as long as I catch the fort before it fails in some spectacular fashion, anyway.  :D

StoneToad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 30, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »

You pulled me back into playing DF again, heh.  One pick is I guess a rather drastic solution for my embark profile OCD!

I'm incredibly impressed at how long you've run this fort.  Most of mine don't get beyond year 5, though I guess that's partly because I get OC about all my immigrants.

So far my first attempt ended up in a savage biome, turned out only the ocean beach was terrifying.  After failing 2-3 times on the chicken run method I realised that it was failing because the miner was trying to dig stone, not dirt.  Then I realised that gabbro wasn't an aquifer stone.  Woops.

So I tried out methods to do a 1 layer aquifer punch w/o opening to the sky.  Since there was no lower aquifer layer to drain into, I had to undercut the plug in the lowest dry layer, so I needed 3 layers of dry soil to pierce the 1 deep aquifer instead of just 2 to pierce a 2 deep aquifer.

The chicken run drain aquifer pierce is really a very sweet design.  We should get this into the wiki.  I think it's faster then the doubleslit method even for a normal embark, especially on soil aquifers (building walls at least feels much slower then smoothing).

And if you do the setup for the cave-in right, you should be able to avoid getting any cave-in dust on the miner, so it's not like that's a big risk over the doubleslit either. (channel from top layer, use diagonal step in corridor to trap dust, give miner job elsewhere to make them leave before the dust rises up to their z-level.  This at least worked with my 1 layer pierce, which was basically a 3x3 version of the 2 layer method with a dry upper aquifer layer.)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 01, 2014, 08:10:32 pm »

Welcome back to the fold, StoneToad.  I don't worry so much about immigrants.  I consider them a labor pool for advanced projects and/or military draftees.

If you want a really tough biome to play in, back on page 1/2 of this thread EdgeFigaro provided a hellacious biome (the one I'm playing in) that brings in Titans in your first summer, raising undead, 2-layer aquifer, and a number of other prizes.

FurnaceClans 25 is also now posted!

http://youtu.be/JIqrcLycgQg

I figured the 25th episode would be a good time for a short review of the fortress, I go over some copper mining we're beginning and will be doing for a long time, there's a problem with the ice tower, and the OMG gets completely stalled out and shutdown.  This might be the beginning of the end!

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 02, 2014, 08:40:42 am »

Hm, that's a problem I never imagined, endless fight between something that uses only fire attacks, and something that wont die to fire..
also, I do like ice walls, nice to know that this may be a problem, this would have caught me completely off guard.

for the flooding for the tree farm, I prefer to make a cistern, and just dump a TON of water at once in, a trickle like that can take far too long in my experience:)

a few thoughts:
on that mining op: cassiterite?
Isn't that TIN?
I guess if you are low on iron, you may want a bronze industry, but I don't think you can do that much with tin on it's own, what's the plan with that tin?

your stocks window shows you have drinks set for dumping?
and there is a steel mail shirt, and a BUNCH of steel weapons forbidden
if you have a shortage of good metal, it might be an idea to check if any of those steel goods are reachable :)
finally i'm curious about the bottom level of the OMG, there seem to be a ton of metal items there, and in the magma, is any of that steel?

looking forward to see how you manage to solve that endless FB duel you have going, great show :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:43:49 am by enizer »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:18 am »

a few thoughts:
on that mining op: cassiterite?
Isn't that TIN?
Yes, Josh caught me out in the comments on that.  I put in a massive annotation but you have to have them on.  I'll also make mention next video.  Whoops.

I guess if you are low on iron, you may want a bronze industry, but I don't think you can do that much with tin on it's own, what's the plan with that tin?
Get back to you on that.

your stocks window shows you have drinks set for dumping?
Probably on the surface somewhere, also forbidden.

and there is a steel mail shirt, and a BUNCH of steel weapons forbidden
Yeah, surface again.

finally i'm curious about the bottom level of the OMG, there seem to be a ton of metal items there, and in the magma, is any of that steel?
A little.  Mostly Iron.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 02, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »

Have you run the (non-reveal) prospect from DFHack?  You might have some copper around somewhere.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2014, 02:59:21 pm »

Have you run the (non-reveal) prospect from DFHack?  You might have some copper around somewhere.

After realizing that was all tin, I did a prospect all to find out what the embark might have.

Tin: Volume in the insane quantities
Iron: Decent amount
Candy: Some
Platinum: A small bit if I trip on it.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »

that's odd, i don't think i have ever had several metals, had tin, and not copper, it's usually the other way around, plenty copper, never any tin..

I would be very tempted to play minesweeper with the candy at this point.
There's aways something to get even if you play 100% safe.
And when you need to take risks to get more, there's always smooth -> carve fortification.
I have released the clowns that way, and they were stuck in the spire.
They did manage to murder my FPS though, so I recommend against that anyway :)
(also i'm not sure that will be useful if there are any gas clowns, I did not get any in that test)

I was always quite nervous about the candy, but after trying to shave the spire as someone recommended, the closer I cut it, the more I had to count where the 2x2 hollow pipe might fit, and in the end, the analogy was correct, I was pretty much playing 3d minesweeper.
.. although with MUCH higher stakes on failure :)

edit: wrong word
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:00:10 am by enizer »

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 02, 2014, 10:40:56 pm »

copied and pasted from the comments of the video. :

Cassiterite: 122914
Magnetite: 14142
Candy: 2582
Platinum: 475