Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 73287 times)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #405 on: August 30, 2014, 09:21:31 am »

For me personally, I find that all is fair in the battle for FPS, since about 80% of my forts die to the FPS being so low that I get bored waiting while nothing happens
Also considering FPS, I recently noticed that RAM speed does have an impact on Dwarf Fortress, tested with an FM2 system(A10-5800k) I use for browsing, and there was about 40% difference in FPS just from changing between 2133 and 1333 ram.
So it's worth noting that for heavy Dwarf Fortress players, buying cheap ram may be a bad idea(especially since where I live at least the difference in price is tiny)
(EDIT: of course that needs a CPU that supports that ram, the 2133 did not do much for my 1100T for example, which refused to run the RAM at speeds over 1600)

In non-FPS thoughts, the forgotten beasts on the map edge, how feasible is it to drop bricks on their heads?
Or maybe carve fortifications into a wall next to them, and then flood lava through those fortifications?
(surprisingly this IS possible with constructed walls too)
Just make sure it wont reach 7/7, then I believe any lava immune creature will be able to swim through.(bug 3327)
In a non-reanimating biome I would just carve fortifications and shoot through them, but I think making the FB's undead would not help much.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:44:28 pm by enizer »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 01, 2014, 03:04:19 am »

Just a note.  The anniversary edition is coming together, but it's taking a while to edit to my happiness.  FPS is back to reasonable (25-35), and things are coming along nicely.  Just taking a bit to put together.  My strange mood has been strange, and I haven't been able to really dig into it and make it coherent.

On another note, I recently decided to watch some of the first videos in the series... and I am sorry for subjecting to people to them.  This might be why I'm being so picky about getting this one done better.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 01, 2014, 08:26:21 am »

Heh, a good example of how we are often our own worst critics.
I watched the early failed attempts more then once, and they are mostly different from your current episodes.
They are not by any means bad.

In fact, I quite like seeing some of the gameplay happen as it happened, even though much of the latter gameplay is repetitive, some things are a lot of fun to watch mostly uncut.
For example, seeing you pressured to get through the aquifer as fast as possible, and then try to get things stable before everyone went insane, was quite educational, and I'm quite sure that no summary or thorough edit would have done it justice :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:42:02 am by enizer »

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 02, 2014, 08:59:41 am »

For example, seeing you pressured to get through the aquifer as fast as possible, and then try to get things stable before everyone went insane, was quite educational, and I'm quite sure that no summary or thorough edit would have done it justice :)

+1

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 13, 2014, 05:53:23 am »

Perhaps, but I know I can present it better.

FC 37 is in the hopper, but I need to finish it up for the presentation.  As it should be for the 1 year anniversary, it's us getting the final pieces together for full control, but I'll show you shortly.

I'm still here, just work, etc, is getting the better of me lately.  I'll try and finish it up today/tomorrow.  Thanks guys, for a year worth of fun and sharing.  It's been an education for me, but fun too. :)  Everyone's comments and involvement have made all the difference.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 13, 2014, 10:38:51 pm »

FurnaceClans 37 is posted! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euV2P6e8sVs&index=37&list=PLdudzEyUcmvinY7TP1n65Tp8GqbFU9cbg

An overview of the fort, finalization of the surface control entryway, some window smashing, and general fort discussions.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 15, 2014, 02:39:02 am »

Happy Anniversary!

Staying on track for an entire year without even succumbing to FPS death: Impressive!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 15, 2014, 09:40:04 am »

Congratulations for keeping Furnaceclans running for a year real-time  and 56 years dwarf-time.  It's a bit mind-boggling, to be honest, comparing the surface between the undead-infestation at its height to now.  Where did all the cursed dust lying everywhere go?  Picked up/removed when dwarfs walked through it, or just covered up by fresh snow?

Here's a design I use in my underground forts to spot incoming thieves, ambushers, etc. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It positions a guard animal above 2/3 of the entry tiles for the hallway below.  Each animal sits on a Grate giving them visibility below, and renders them immune to attack.  For your corner design, you could place an animal above each corner square, and possibly a row of them across the entire path to catch leakers.

A more risky method is to have a squad of macemen/hammermen, in full steel, train for several years (pref. above ground) and once legendary place their barracks right at the edge of the map.  Channel out a single tile nearby, and use minecarts to fill it with magma.  Legendary mace/hammermen shouldn't have any problems with invaders or their subsequent undead corpses, the local magma pit give haulers a place to dump bodies, and they are, in my experience, much better at spotting enemies.

Better yet!  Have their barracks located on a series of retracting bridges (the armor stand being on a pillar of ground in the middle) and fight there as well.  Once the fight is done, order your squad off the bridge, and pull a lever, dropping the corpses into a magma filled pit 1z level down.  Spikes linked to a lever will take care of any animating corpses. 

Of course, while both mace/hammerman guard scenarios allow your fort to be 'open' all the time, the odd titan would probably make the guard animal design much safer.

Looking forward to your next video!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 15, 2014, 12:26:03 pm »

Where did all the cursed dust lying everywhere go?  Picked up/removed when dwarfs walked through it, or just covered up by fresh snow?
Since everyone's going through the bathtub to clean off the deposits and my FPS was approaching turn based gameplay (5FPS), I cheated so the fort didn't die in a fire.  I used DFHack to clean area and clean items to pick up massive amounts of it for FPS recovery.  If there was a 'clean this area' designation that I could have used I'd have avoided it and done that, but there isn't.  I recovered ~8 FPS from that.  I think I discussed that briefly in 35 or 36.

It positions a guard animal above 2/3 of the entry tiles for the hallway below.  Each animal sits on a Grate giving them visibility below, and renders them immune to attack.  For your corner design, you could place an animal above each corner square, and possibly a row of them across the entire path to catch leakers.
Interesting.  I thought bow gobbies and the like could shoot up through grates.  Good to know!  Part of this was I'd just never played with windows before, and wanted to see how well they'd work out.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 15, 2014, 01:03:15 pm »

Excellent job with FC as always.  Did you ever think you would gain control to the point where you could turn off the OMG whenever you werent under attack?  Its been a long trip but a pretty rewarding one just from the spectators point of view.  Hopefully you're proud of all the hard work paying off!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 15, 2014, 01:46:19 pm »

Excellent job with FC as always.  Did you ever think you would gain control to the point where you could turn off the OMG whenever you werent under attack?  Its been a long trip but a pretty rewarding one just from the spectators point of view.  Hopefully you're proud of all the hard work paying off!

I figured we'd gain it eventually, simply due to the fact that I was being hyper-cautious.  After the first 6 months I was getting pretty cagey.  I had assumed though that it was going to require a giant horde of catapults and ballista, however.

Actually, I am pretty proud of what I've done so far, however mostly it's in my new understanding of video editing and the like.  This exercise has been a lot of fun, too, as I've learned new things in DF and apparently taught some folks as well.  :)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 15, 2014, 03:06:31 pm »

I think it would be enough if you channel a lava moat on surface and fill bottom with upright spikes connected to repeater. Then maybe create another safe entrance for migrants and traders...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:06 pm »

I think it would be enough if you channel a lava moat on surface and fill bottom with upright spikes connected to repeater. Then maybe create another safe entrance for migrants and traders...
What's to stop the traders from coming in the enemy entry, or the enemies from the trade safe direction?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:55 am »

By "safe entrance" I meant more like your current setup. Single entrance from edge of map and another branch on the path for friendlies. I have never tried that kind of entrance trap so I don't have slightest idea if it would actually work well enough.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 16, 2014, 12:49:51 pm »

By "safe entrance" I meant more like your current setup. Single entrance from edge of map and another branch on the path for friendlies. I have never tried that kind of entrance trap so I don't have slightest idea if it would actually work well enough.

Undead won't path into magma on their own, thus the massive OMG setup to chuck them in there.  There's spikes in the bottom of that (now).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32