Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 73743 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #420 on: September 20, 2014, 06:48:30 pm »

FC38 is up.  Nothing of particular interest, just screwing around in the new entryway.  I had a bunch of material (you don't want to know how much is on the floor after the cutting room was done with this...) that I had to go through so consider this a 'while you wait' episode for FC39.

Link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=004UMPs03dg&index=38&list=PLdudzEyUcmvinY7TP1n65Tp8GqbFU9cbg

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 22, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »

Interesting to see the undead siege path in, very slowly and orderly..

A couple of thoughts here, first, I would be very tempted to put ballista up against the fortifications facing the map enterance, to be honest, it probably would not be all that useful on a reanimating biome, but it's just so satisfying to see a ballista fire down a corridor :D
It would probably be more useful to station crossbow dwarves there, and remembering that dwarves don't fire through fortifications without being right up to them, unless they reach high enough level, might be ledgendary, but not sure.
In any case I don't quite see what good thinning the enemy ranks would do in a reanimating biome. unless you get a goblin invasion and want to mess them up bad with infighting.. but then the OMG probably cleans them out faster anyway.

and second, while you were dumping the upper arm bone(4) I'm pretty sure that once undead parts get knocked to pieces like that, with just bone(number) then it's no longer possible to reanimate, and is now just a resource.

Pity the glass thing turned out to be a building destroyer magnet, that looked like something I would try myself.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2014, 02:05:04 am »

Enizer: Yeah, but there was a head and two hands too that needed to get gone, might as well get 'em all at once. :)

However, for those who are curious why I don't include Closed Captioning (I intend to do it for DFHowTo, when I get there)... an example from the speech detection software from Adobe, from the snippet about detecting the goblin in 38:

[Speaker 0] so little evidence of that nowhere or Windows work our dog dish was the team that scores the way to the windows I have had ceased managed to sneak in and are not to say that this is a perfect solution um but they do work generally and this guy actually the top of her stomach but he really just to see it turning into eight sections of the same thing I'll use it with the door I think he's confused but eventually you'll just one are awesome

... That was off the raw, no music or anything interfering.  It boggles the mind.  I also can't use those auto-dictation things.  One of these days Siri is going to send me to Antarctica via Moscow.

I've been head down in tutorials lately on Premiere Pro picking up the dozen little things I missed along the way bull-heading my way through the application.  This whole built in CC item had interested me so I finally beat my way through a few dozen items until I found all the keywords I needed, and realized a window just wasn't large enough to see the button... which is just silly.  I've yet to meet a software that doesn't have it's quirks, though.  The idea, though, is to pick up a few new tricks the professionals use to speed themselves up, as FC is partially a practice and training run for me.

Err, well, I'll stop there.  You care about FC, not my journey into the dark world of video and audio editing.   Just wanted to share that, it was funny as heck to me.  :D

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2014, 09:50:38 am »

Wow, I tried to read that quote several times and still fail, about a third of the way through it my brain just stops, and... WHAT?
I guess Adobe really doesn't like your accent.. or something :)

Naglfar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 23, 2014, 03:01:33 pm »

This sounds like a nice, pedagogic embark. Is this the best one for a newbie seeking a rigorous treatment of Dwarf Fortress?
There is no cow level.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »

This sounds like a nice, pedagogic embark. Is this the best one for a newbie seeking a rigorous treatment of Dwarf Fortress?

If rigorous is a euphemism for being treated like a bowling ball by the local troll, then yes.  :D  It's a good embark, lots of dangers and a good aquifer in it.  However, as a self-proclaimed newbie, I'd learn the mechanics in a place not quite so emphatic about the removal of your health.

Once you've gotten up the mechanics cliff, yes, the embark is fun. :)  First summer titans, undead raising, etc.  However, be aware the map that's associated with this series is version 34.11, not 40.x.  I'm basically just finishing it up while I wait for Version 40 to stabilize.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 24, 2014, 01:34:32 pm »

I had some good fun watching your series today, thanks! Watched all the way to Furnace Clans part 6 but I'm taking a break now. Is it still possible to wrestle down undead enemies in 40.xx? Zombies seem be to very strong now from what I've seen in a couple of videos. I'm concerned that one of my dwarfs dies, turning into an unstoppable enemy and murdering everybody else.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 24, 2014, 02:55:33 pm »

I had some good fun watching your series today, thanks! Watched all the way to Furnace Clans part 6 but I'm taking a break now.
Fair enough. Production value goes up later in the series as I learn what the heck I'm doing, just so you know. :)

Is it still possible to wrestle down undead enemies in 40.xx? Zombies seem be to very strong now from what I've seen in a couple of videos. I'm concerned that one of my dwarfs dies, turning into an unstoppable enemy and murdering everybody else.
I'm not sure.  I know you can pulp the undead now, where you do enough damage where they finally stop getting up.  In 34.11, you can never truly kill an undead creature, just destroy the corpse before it re-rezzes with atom smashing or magma.  I assume the purple pits are roughly equal in doing that, too.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 24, 2014, 06:06:24 pm »

That grinder is truly impressive! I'm still pretty new to DF and I learned a lot about pathing, minecarts and magma by watching your videos. =3

Good to know that you can now pulp zombies but the main problem might be discipline and sheer numbers. Fights are very unpredictable with the new discipline system. I had my militia commander go into a martial trance and beat up a couple of ogres all by himself (They simply fled in panic.) and had an entire squad of new recruits desert to one kobold bowman. Until your dwarfs are well trained each fight can pretty much go either way it seems. With the downside that undead will never flee, give in to pain, get exhausted or run off for a quick drink.

I should stick to Untamed Wilds for now, maybe in neighbourhood of a tower. That way I don't have to worry about hair coming back alive at least. Not to mention that 600 undead on the surface would bring DF 40.xx to a grinding halt on my machine.

Anyway, great videos! Thanks bunches!
Just kids...

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 25, 2014, 12:52:55 pm »

hey,

for your vids, when you'll decide to end the fort (to move on 40.xx i guess) i realy hope you'll give him a nice end fighting the circus ! (i whant to see what kind of ingenious things you can come up with to kill them, and maybe burtcher their corps, would be awesome to retire with some dorf equip with d**** leather ;)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:03 pm »

Thanks Jessup, glad you're enjoying.

Diacetyl: I have something in that vein planned, we'll see how it falls out. :)

I have 30 minutes of final edits, spread out into 3 different episodes and one of them is going to end up being a supplementary entry simply because it's all mechanics and not really 'pushing the fort forward'.  So, there's stuff there, I just need to wrap up certain events so the episodes are coherent and you folks should see some newer stuff soonish.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 26, 2014, 02:02:06 pm »

FurnaceClans 39 and a supplemental episode are up.

FC 39 covers Fortunato, a new catapult tester, issues with winter biome farming, and some difficulties with the OMG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPBNRfP9Bh0&list=PLdudzEyUcmvinY7TP1n65Tp8GqbFU9cbg&index=39

The supplemental, which is not included in the playlist but has an annotated link, covers dealing with unbinning goods en-masse.  Found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xte8rcnmiI8

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 27, 2014, 04:17:29 am »

Lots of useful information, thanks!
I hope we get to see the catapult vs. some undead critters at some point. So far I have only relied on traps, never tried any siege engines.
Just kids...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 17, 2014, 09:52:00 pm »

Soooo, I'm bored.  Oh, there's tons of minutiae to handle and the occasional double-raid where the goblins and the undead slam into each other on the surface and anything near the entryway stops cold.  I've got plenty of busy work.

But, I've really only got a few major projects I can see undertaking and none of them are appetizing at the moment.  I could go visit the circus, I suppose, but I need to get the infrastructure together for that, and I'd rather wait until the King shows up for that.

Other options include trying to free the 7 or 8 Forgotten Beasts that are trapped... on top of trees (remember, this is 34.11, not the new one with branches and stuff)... against the wall of the universe.  I've got some ideas towards that, but it's going to take a bit of work and a significant amount of caution to approach it so I don't get obliterated.  One FB can completely hose up the OMG, 7 of them could ruin me.

With this in mind, I was wondering... are there any requests? 
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32