Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 73731 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:12 pm »

Part 3 is up for IvyLashes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmVWT1hI1yY

This is more a review of about 9 dwarven months of work than an actual playthrough.  We've found the caverns and have walled ourselves off a small piece of it against the water.  Built a hospital, lost a few dwarves due to dehydration and moods, have started farming, and am low on food and booze again.

Edit: I should mention this one's shorter than many of the more recent ones, as it's just a walkthrough of where I'm at.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 03:18:43 am »

Bahahahah.

Ivy Lashes just went down in flames in a tantrum spiral / undead war with itself.

Part 4 was consumed by fraps using the wrong screen again, but nothing much happened in 4 (now labeled 3.5)  Caravan came in, we bought what we could, they didn't bring an anvil, and dwarves started going to lounge on the surface for no good reason while the door was open to let the merchants out.  Dumbasses.

Then a dwarf threw a tantrum and I didn't think anything of it.  Then we butchered a yak who was crying about the overcrowding at the upstairs meeting room.  The undead in the drop hole kept scaring off my dwarves...

Cue Part 4 (to come soonish): Tantrum Spiral of IvyLashes, aka: How many dead bodies can you throw overboard before you can't kill them fast enough to throw away?

Also, Looks like attempt 3 will be coming.  I'm going to borrow that undead raising Tundra edgefigaro had and do an open air aquifer punch, I think.  Well, I'll be back with the vids tomorrow most likely. Takes forever to edit on occassion... unless y'all want to watch me try to recover from the spiral for over an hour in real time...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:41 pm »

For those still curious about my endeavours, LashedNuts, attempt #3, has begun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYV32Pdd9hk

This is done in the Tundra that edgefigaro supplied above.  Thanks for that edge.  I've gotten everyone indoors with only minor problems, gotten everyone fed once, and have finished drilling through the aquifer using the freezing drill method.  I've laid out the next stage of the fort as well, hopefully cleaning up a few problems from IvyLashes... such as a drop pit that wasn't deep enough.

Edit: I need to addendum that video. LancedNuts went down about one dwarven month later... and our brave explorer caught it on tape.  I'm adding a bit more to the video (it's not worth a separate load) but they take forever to process.

Sorry about that.  Use this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SHg8kf4BcI

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 03:59:09 pm »

Great tantrum spiral and zombie Apocalypse at IvyLashes! I seen someone had knocked my dwarfs teeth out and ripped his nose off! XD Can I get a re-dwarf in your next somewhat successful fort? As far as LancedNuts goes, it was looking so promising! The owls just had to ruin everything D: Also if you put your food in a stockpile it will never spoil even if it is not stored in anything.

That new map is quite the piece of work! I wonder what the cursed clouds do... Was all that brown stuff in the snow slime or something?

*Eats popcorn*  :D
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »

Can I get a re-dwarf in your next somewhat successful fort? As far as LancedNuts goes, it was looking so promising! The owls just had to ruin everything D: Also if you put your food in a stockpile it will never spoil even if it is not stored in anything.

That new map is quite the piece of work! I wonder what the cursed clouds do... Was all that brown stuff in the snow slime or something?
Of course. :)  Yeah, shame about LancedNuts.  Was almost there... almost there... screwed.  All I wanted to do was hatch the stairway and off I'd go.  Forgot that food didn't need pots to not rot.  The pots just keep out the vermin.

The Dust... I don't know what the heck it does yet.  So far noone non-undead has been caught out in it, so I don't know.  The new site has it too so my guess is eventually I'm going to end up with some migrants who... inform me what the dust does.   :D

FurnaceClans Part 1 is up (I haven't finished annotations so no speech bubbles and whatnot yet) and is basically LancedNuts with a roof.  The aquifer dig was MUCH smaller this time.  Also, FurnaceClans has a lot of fliers nearby.  I restarted 4 times (I'm not ashamed to admit it) just getting my dwarves downstairs fast enough.  It was literally a case of the RNG determining flight paths for the first giant raven flock.  Either I got lucky, or I didn't.  I also got better about getting everything downstairs at warp 9.8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5oWiy0XuLU

Does anyone know how, in youtube, to move annotations from one video to a different one?  Can I download the XML for them and upload to a diff video?  There's a ton on LancedNuts I did originally that I'd like to move to the addended version.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:28 pm »

Hey Edge...

... you could have mentioned you get titans in the middle of summer in that embark...  Brutal locale man.  :D

FurnacedClans is still alive, partially due to dumb luck that I started a project earlier than normal for migrant access. 

Much !FUN! is being had... particularly by the perma-webbed migrants!  Update to come.

... btw, does anyone know if migrants can come via the caverns?  I believe the surface just became uninhabitable until significant dwarven engineering is applied to titan removal.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2013, 04:56:14 am »

So, FurnaceClans part 2 is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHxU1Aqabgg

Safely sealed in, our courageous embark watches a titan arrive on the surface, laying waste to two migrant waves.  Hurredly digging for the caverns to allow caravan access, they abandon the craftdwarf workshop areas in a mad drive down for mud and plants.  Mafol even tries to be a hero and goes spelunking!

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 05:24:53 pm »

It looks like this one may even work out for a little wile. Too bad about the migration waves being cannon fodder. A generational fort under these conditions may even be to your benefit because you have fewer dwarves to keep fed and happy! Unfortunately it also means less replacements for accidents. Good luck!  :o

Urst! Step up the slab production! We have another migration wave coming!
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »

Note:  It is confirmed. Wagon access does not make the caravan come in via the caverns.  Perhaps more variables are required (such as sealing the map edges *completely* on the surface) but simple access does not force it.  My merchants and liason were just slaughtered wholesale by Stez Slalstongosla Uzbad Ato, the Savanna Titan.  Stez Crabmountains the seals of Swimming has shut off my fort from *everything*.

I believe the next episode will be me prepping the capture and subsequent abuse of Stez.  Adamantium mace whiffbat beatings seem the most appropriate.   Death by a thousand bonks.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2013, 07:39:09 pm »

I don't know if you want hints, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, I don't see mid-game tantrum spirals as that much of a problem. Tuck away a few artifact makers and new parents with a personal food, booze, and huge rock stockpile, get them to spam out coffins and slabs, and wait for the happy migrants as everyone else goes crazy carrying their friends to the giant corpse stockpile up top. Cage traps everywhere can stop them short too.

And you've got me single-picking. In the desert, with no aquifer. Because going strait to the caverns for survival is interesting, especially if you miss the first one, or two. Also, no-item. Fishing murky pools will totally get you to the caravan and buy you a pick if you can survive the surface. Wrestling trains pretty quick if you bump skulls up to size 100 too.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2013, 08:42:49 pm »

I don't know if you want hints, but you can just put hatch covers over your garbage drops, and the odd cage trap nearby in those long drop tunnels at ivylashes would've saved you a lot of fighting-undead morale problems. Also, during tantrum spirals, make everyone do everything so stuff keeps getting done, get doors up everywhere, lock the madmen away, and tunnel around them. Build more than one craftdorf shop already, six is much faster. Buy lots more picks, everyone's a miner, the stone doesn't stand a chance.
Hints are always welcome.  Part of this is to find out what I don't know. :)  The only way to do that is to share what I'm doing so people can point out my errors.

So, hatches will keep my dorfs from getting scared about the undead in the holes?  Good to know.  I won't have to design 6z drop pits (like are currently in FurnaceClans) to get rid of skins and the like.

Cages, however, would have been very tough.  I had no metal industry and wood was still scarse.  The cage traps would have been a too little/too late kind of thing.  Very appropriate though, and I may use that idea in FurnaceClans.  We've certainly got enough other problems that I'm not afraid of pushing the system abit... namely, Stez.

Of course, I don't see mid-game tantrum spirals as that much of a problem.
This was my error.  I'm very used to being able to ride out a tantrum or ten and then get on with business with a few dorfs in the jails.  I'd forgotten the constant undead removal would cause so much heartache on the little beards.

And you've got me single-picking. In the desert, with no aquifer. Because going strait to the caverns for survival is interesting, especially if you miss the first one, or two. Also, no-item. Fishing murky pools will totally get you to the caravan and buy you a pick if you can survive the surface. Wrestling trains pretty quick if you bump skulls up to size 100 too.

WOOOT!  Another one!

How do you mean no-item?  With the wood from the cart in a desert you should be able to make a few training axes and go nuts on lumber.  Cactus works quite well as a lumber source, at least at first.  While you dig down you should be able to pretty easily set up a palisades and a few workshops.  Probably one of the only excuses for wooden armor, too. :)

It looks like this one may even work out for a little wile. Too bad about the migration waves being cannon fodder. A generational fort under these conditions may even be to your benefit because you have fewer dwarves to keep fed and happy! Unfortunately it also means less replacements for accidents. Good luck!  :o
I've confirmed I have two pairs of lovers, they just need to wed (and stay alive).  Generational is a possibility.

Urst! Step up the slab production! We have another migration wave coming!
... or merchants... or liasons...

I'm going to nickname the main dining room's hallway as "The Migrant Memoral".  It's becoming paved with slabs.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2013, 10:22:49 pm »

How do you mean no-item?  With the wood from the cart in a desert you should be able to make a few training axes and go nuts on lumber.  Cactus works quite well as a lumber source, at least at first.  While you dig down you should be able to pretty easily set up a palisades and a few workshops.  Probably one of the only excuses for wooden armor, too. :)

Well this depends on what kind of desert you embark on. Yellow sand deserts usually will have a good bit of cactus and well as grass, but red sand deserts usually are quite barren and cactus-less. It would be quite a challenge to go without an item in a desert. The surface water may not last in a hot desert until the caravan arrives. And your only hope of making trade goods would be from bone and skulls, assuming you can kill anything.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2013, 10:50:31 pm »

!!Science Note!!: Reanimated Titans no longer can spit webs nor are they building destroyer type 2 anymore.

Good point, though, Andrakon.  I'd only embarked a red desert once and I high-tailed it deep into the stone.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2013, 01:13:31 am »

It's late on Saturday night and I'm playing Drunken Fortress while compiling the last video, but I felt the need to share.

I've never had a more effective security system against kobold thieves than half a hundred husks randomly roaming the range while we whittle away alone below the badlands.

And yes, I meant to do that.  ;)

Also, I should have chosen the name 'GopherHoles' for this fort.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32