Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Update - V.3f - SCIENCE, Bugfixes and an introduction of new workshop ideas.  (Read 9896 times)

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mh... maybe it would be a good idea to make a "Future of the Mod" thread, were ideas and current developement is being discussed. ^^

Thanks to forum help I also managed to fix my test-version of the biology system, so I can start writing the Biologists Lab next. :)

BillyJack: That is very reasonable. I can move them to the craftsdwarf or toolmaker, and then just use them as buildmat. The vouchers are just as quickly stockpiled (or not stockpiled) as coins, so there is no real change, either way the dwarves have to find the reagent, be it TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_VOUCHER or COIN:NONE.

EDIT: Now that I wrote it, I notice how wrong I am. I need the fishing poles and fishing nets in reactions... because I use them for balancing. Different costs and return rates are linked to them. How would you solve that, if they are buildmats? Just have free fishing reactions?

Could you make the darn poles not stockpile, like you did for Slag? I don't know exactly what I'm asking, but I think they're finished goods or something like that. I know when I went to adjust my kitchen stockpile so it could accept them (and bar them from others), I couldn't find them. Not that a few haulers fishing in their free time with buckets can't supply my whole fort with food and shells.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An arbalest traded speed and bulk for power, it was like an over sized crossbow with all manner of complicated draw mechanisms.... That crossbow bolt spamming monster you have is like no effing medieval siege craft ever made :o feel free to call it Armok's Big Toe or Mountainhome Luvin.

I would not mind more material choices for the equipment merchant.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Well, I only ever used it against wildlife... how does it fair against an ambush/siege?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well just started in on exploring the invention system and ran into an interesting snag.  Whenever I've needed library stuff before I've always used vellum.  Unfortunately I ran out of leather..."no problem," I thought "I know there's other things that can be used" and looked them up.  Sure enough according to the manual I can get paper at the screw press from logs. I never use wood any more so it'll be putting them to a good use...except the reaction won't show up as valid...I'm sure there's some step I'm missing but for the life of me I can't figure out what.  Built a crucible fine and now just need a blueprint to build the ammocaster.  The plan is after that is to do the magic research and start exploring the changes there.  Guess I'll build a thatchery and find out if I even have what's needed for papyrus.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yeah, paper is made from rough wood, I guess all yours is smooth wood or fungi wood.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Hey Meph, how do I stop the wood chopping block from auto-smoothing all my wood?

P.S. Everytime I read your name, I think it's Meth.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Suspend the reaction?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Huh. Alright.

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

may i suggest a new weapon type for humans and similarly sized civ creatures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katar_%28dagger%29

the basic katar is a handle which is made up of two parallel bars connected by two or more cross-pieces with the end one attached to a short, wide, triangular blade that's generally has a toughened point for piercing to prevent stab punches from breaking the blade and even a basic katar is generally able to get thru mail armor pretty easily, some more advanced models the grip can be squeezed to open up the blade to reveal a spike used to pierce even plate mail or had 3 blades with the middle blade made for that purpose, although a few katar models have blades shaped to be used as primarily slashing weapons most combat issue katars have the sides of the handle grips toughened and weighted for defense and blunt bashing.

my idea to translate this into MDF is as follows.

basic and advanced katars use dagger and striker skills except for slasher katars have a Piercing attack that uses striker skill (since katars are mostly a extension of ones arms and hands and basic katar combat moves generally are done like punches are) and weaker slashing attacks that uses dagger skill and in some katar variants have a special attack that opens up the blades to reveal the spike or stab with the middle blade to do a piercing attack using dagger skill and a secondary handle side slap strike using striker skill probably make these equal to some of the weaker hammer (think like around candy hammers and stuff like that but a bit stronger) hits since even the biggest katars don't have big handles since they are long and thin and thus don't have much to strike with.

Slasher Katars do not have the special spike/middle blade stab attack and only use the dagger skill for their primary attacks and are worse at stabbing than the basic katar but have a better slashing attacks and retain the handle slide slap attack.

mostly because neat weapons like katars barely get love and i'd like to see them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:13:39 pm by AJC »

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The arbalest works super fine as an isolated tower 5ish Z levels up and reached via underground path. Put the ammo stock pile on the lower floor, decoy up on the roof and plunk the towers within range of where you expect sieges to appear. Just run over a hauler when the fun begins... Need to try poisoned bolts bur meh, my Aragon needs help.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Boffo: The arbalest does not actually shoot bolts. Its an interaction. The ammo type you use for the reaction does not matter. ^^ Thats something I have to do later, if I want to expand the system.

AJC: While I like well researched and written sugggestions, I have to say no. DF is distincly western. An indian dagger as a local item does not make sense. I do however include it since the very first release as a foreign item that can be created in a mood. And now in the Inventors Workbench as well. Although I named them fistdaggers ingame, because people would probably not recognize the word Katar.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KATARA_TWIN]
[NAME:pair of fistdaggers:pairs of fistdaggers]

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

...Maybe the White Tigerman civ is due an expansion?

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still "testing" with v3f. Got a crash in year 7. Will try again later and see if it is reproducible.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]