Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 937321 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #12240 on: April 15, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »

Indeed, Emp seems to be fond of such things. But honestly, emp, it's bigger than most of the people it's stabbing. xD

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »

At the end of the day, since this is using multiple worlds. Say you travel to the past, what it actually means is that you travel to what matches your interpretation of the past which is a pointless venture since you have chosen to observe what agrees with your viewpoint.
Yes, you cannot be 100% sure of it, hence why I may argue it is the result of memory and knowledge, there's no concrete past that one may know of. Devil's Proof, this "true past" may as well be God, or the aether with no way to prove it nor any method to disprove it. Unfair, I admit but it nonetheless sustains the matter.
Not only is it unfair, it is meaningless. The exact same argument that you use to say that travel to the past is impossible, I can use to say that travel to my house is impossible. Since travel to my house is possible, your argument is invalid. Your conclusion is valid with your assumptions, but the conclusion is inconsistent with reality and is therefore untrue.
It seems that I have made a second mistake: traveling to the past and changing it is impossible. Yuri reconstructed the past so I suppose you could say that she pseudo-time traveled and bypass any argument of mine against. Hence I suppose it is better to say one can time travel, what one cannot do is change the past. Think of a computer, it performs reversible actions, you may even say it is deterministic in function. You may perform something and reverse the process before doing something else. That does not mean the undone process did not occur, you merely made it seem like the past was changed. Go back to the multiple worlds thought experiment, you travel to that past and you change it, but it is not the original world, it is not the past of the original world but rather one identical to its past. Hence, in either case presented, traveling to the real past does not occur nor would changing it change the past.

Indeed, Emp seems to be fond of such things. But honestly, emp, it's bigger than most of the people it's stabbing. xD
Just in case they somehow survive the stabbing, they'll have to deal with it in a few years :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: April 15, 2014, 07:18:13 pm »

You may as well just transmute their body into a liquid slurry then. :P

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:39 pm »

Yeah but plot-runners and GMs tend to dislike suddenly turning major villains into slurry with one stab. Neurodegenerative diseases may be more acceptable, after all, (I hope) a plot won't run for the amount of time required for it to actually start screwing them up (fatally I mean) :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:23:48 pm by Empiricist »

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:26 pm »

Didn't Will try researching what day Arthur was going to show up this month?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: April 15, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »

It seems that I have made a second mistake: traveling to the past and changing it is impossible. Yuri reconstructed the past so I suppose you could say that she pseudo-time traveled and bypass any argument of mine against. Hence I suppose it is better to say one can time travel, what one cannot do is change the past. Think of a computer, it performs reversible actions, you may even say it is deterministic in function. You may perform something and reverse the process before doing something else. That does not mean the undone process did not occur, you merely made it seem like the past was changed. Go back to the multiple worlds thought experiment, you travel to that past and you change it, but it is not the original world, it is not the past of the original world but rather one identical to its past. Hence, in either case presented, traveling to the real past does not occur nor would changing it change the past.
What makes one past or one world any more real than the others?

Didn't Will try researching what day Arthur was going to show up this month?
He did that at some point.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:09 pm »

What makes one past or one world any more real than the others?
I used the word "real" to mean a past that, when changed, automatically changes the present.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12247 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:15 pm »

And in what way does this make time travel impossible?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12248 on: April 15, 2014, 09:51:02 pm »

It doesn't I noticed that, although @Elf stated time travel was possible, Yuri did the whole "magically reconstruct past" during my pseudo-plot so arguing it would be moot. Hence why I had to state that it was changing the past which was impossible. Yes, I know I'm moving the goalposts again and I do apologize, but it seems @Elf and myself overlooked what Yuri did and the non-standard forms of time-travel.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: April 15, 2014, 10:15:43 pm »

I'm completely not sure what you're arguing.
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12250 on: April 15, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »

I had to change the discussion to "Changing the past to change the present is impossible". Since I only just remembered that Yuri did the simulated reconstruction thing you mentioned.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12251 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:54 pm »

Well, if you changed the configuration of the world to (say) five minutes before you dropped your computer, breaking it, what's to stop you from stopping yourself from dropping your computer?
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12252 on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:21 pm »

Nothing. Except you didn't travel back in time, you rewrote reality.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12253 on: April 16, 2014, 12:36:30 am »

Basically we fucked up and didn't notice that Yuri borked reality.

Normally, the past cannot be changed. Ever. Even if SOMEHOW, you were able to go back in time, the things that happened in the past would still lead you into going back to try to fix what went wrong.

And of course you can't go back in time.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12254 on: April 16, 2014, 12:41:15 am »

Actually, she didn't.
She performed @GWG's stated form of time travel.

Except that form of it does not allow her to change anything. Hence why I have been arguing that the only way to do so is merely warping reality to simulate the effects. Of course, if someone was capable of that, they'd probably just do whatever the fuck they wanted to directly without simulating a temporal rewrite.
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1030