Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 937912 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #12270 on: April 16, 2014, 03:21:49 am »

I wonder if it will ever reach a point where Selina tries to drown her sorrows with alcohol, or illicit substances.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: April 16, 2014, 04:11:04 am »

fuck if I know what the hell Meta-Temporality is even supposed to mean.

Is that even a thing?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: April 16, 2014, 04:18:39 am »

It is in Indigenous Australian beliefs and one of their creatures did pop in. It apparently refers to encompassing the past, present and future into a complete reality. The Dreaming (cosmological explanation, interestingly it's an ongoing process) is apparently metatemporal and their Ancestral Spirits (gods, more or less) run it.

I was assuming that it meant that in this setting, those god-equivalents exist beyond the veil of time and space like some sort of oddly benevolent eldritch aberration. Which probably would explain some of Australia's organisms.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: April 16, 2014, 04:20:39 am »

well, I suppose there are always exceptions to the rules
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: April 16, 2014, 04:21:23 am »

It is in Indigenous Australian beliefs and one of their creatures did pop in. It apparently refers to encompassing the past, present and future into a complete reality. The Dreaming (cosmological explanation, interestingly it's an ongoing process) is apparently metatemporal and their Ancestral Spirits (gods, more or less) run it.

I was assuming that it meant that in this setting, those god-equivalents exist beyond the veil of time and space like some sort of oddly benevolent eldritch aberration. Which probably would explain some of Australia's organisms.
A Decalogue-esque thing for mythologies might be useful here.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: April 16, 2014, 04:24:19 am »

So they're basically eldritch gods that exist in all points in time but too busy making sure places have water and too reclusive to exploit it? That works for me.

A Decalogue-esque thing for mythologies might be useful here.
Yeah, I suppose so but it would really just be summed up as, "Do what @Elf says, bitch."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:56 am »

Does this ripoff of Knox's Decalogue suffice?

I.     The entity must be mentioned earlier either IC or OOC if it is to be suddenly involved, its involvement must be justifiable with that information; Suddenly being rescued or beset upon by flying pigs from the frozen plains of hell demands justification.
If you have things that may pop in, at least make sure everyone knows that they may be involved rather than showing in previously unknown entities.
II.    Any sufficiently powerful entity must have a reason not to intervene in a decisive in plots; Otherwise there would be no need for characters to do anything.
Such as being busy, apathetic, having an odd sense of morals, etc.
III.   No specific philosophical outlook may be favored over another; There are enough arguments already without getting epistemology involved.
Observer interference in void is all fine and dandy as long as empiricism, rationalism and the like make still be applied.
IV.   No hitherto undiscovered supernatural phenomenon may be used; After all, doing so would seem like an ass pull.
You could say it's theoretically possible, allude to it's existence or provide enough information for people to recognize it as a possibility, don't just shove it in there.
V.    No Crossover must figure into the story; There is a crossover ban after all.
People can go coplay and mimic whoever they want, just don't shove other fiction into this.
VI.   No accident must ever help the players or antagonists, nor must any party ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right, unless that is their ability of course; Again, that would be an ass pull.
Needless to say Will and to a lesser extent, Azerfernia are covered by the end bit, this also helps prevent exploitation of meta-knowledge.
VII.  Any lore or plot information is to be presented on request when its examination no longer risks spoiling or causing metagaming; Transparency and whatnot.
This also helps people figure out how parts of lore or plot they liked were constructed and replicate that.
VIII. The characters must not use abilities or skills which had previously produced for the inspection of the players; That would be Mary Sue-ish, would it not?
Not as in displaying more of their current ability at higher output or an application of it, as in, suddenly using an entirely new ability without warning, emotional trigger is not an excuse.
IX.   All relevant information that may affect other realms are to be disclosed to the players running those realms; Seriously, that needs to happen.
It's best to know the full consequences of your developments after all.
X.     Semantic abilities or similar phenomenon generally, must not appear unless the lore duly prepares for them; If creative interpretation may be used, there should be a hint to that.
For example, Wall Street has an entire treatise entitled 'On the Economics of Non-Sentient Entities' to justify its rather odd applications of economics.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:04:31 am by Empiricist »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: April 16, 2014, 05:21:46 am »

*Awaits feedback*

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: April 16, 2014, 05:27:50 am »

sounds like common sense

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: April 16, 2014, 05:30:50 am »

Yeah, I had no real idea what to put in so I just modified a preexisting decalogue.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: April 16, 2014, 08:29:49 am »

Just went back and read the OOC pages I missed.
Ashley has levelled up, this being her.. 3rd?
We're busy making the Theory of Ashleydynamics.
Hmmm?
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: April 16, 2014, 08:32:21 am »

It means I got pissy about Ashley somehow aging ten years in a week when she should only age a week without outside influence messing with her perception of time. This lead to me figuring that Void mind raped Ashley into believing she was in the void for ten years so he could impregnate her and make sure no one else would take her.

On that note, what did that crit do?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:43 am »

Basically we fucked up and didn't notice that Yuri borked reality.

Normally, the past cannot be changed. Ever. Even if SOMEHOW, you were able to go back in time, the things that happened in the past would still lead you into going back to try to fix what went wrong.

And of course you can't go back in time.
1. Why is everyone retconning everything?
2. How? I really don't like these "It happens this way and that's just how it is" explanations.
3. It's impossible to go back in time, just like it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, right?

Also, time travel is impossible because OOC it's a pain in the ass to keep track of already, and IC the past is but a concept, and the future has Fate.
I'd like to point out my counter-argument. You can't travel to concepts, but you can travel to specific instances of those concepts.

I do, of course, have a contingency proposal for when someone inevitably finds a loophole: a person's actions always affects their temporal coordinate only.
If someone somehow goes back in time and replace the daggers Caesar's murderers with shivs, the past remains the same, some unfortunate person in the present just suddenly gains shiv wounds.
If Pearl Harbor was altered so that the pilots of the bomber swam all the way from their carrier to the ships and shivved the damn things until they sank, then someone in the present randomly gets shivved so hard that were they a fleet of naval ships, they would have sank.
If Demons Run was sealed by getting shivved into submission rather than bound with virgin sacrifices, then someone, somewhere in the present gets shivved really damn hard. As in REALLY FUCKING HARD.
In all cases, nothing else is affected.
Pardon my language, but that makes no fucking sense. On multiple levels.

Fuck if I know, I'll work it out when I can. Busy moving house, so I'll be posting slightly less frequently.
How is that even possible?

It means I got pissy about Ashley somehow aging ten years in a week when she should only age a week without outside influence messing with her perception of time. This lead to me figuring that Void mind raped Ashley into believing she was in the void for ten years so he could impregnate her and make sure no one else would take her.
Meanwhile, we pointed out how time dilation doesn't work like that at all.

((Why is this even called "Rise of the Magic Girls" anymore? I think "Bay12 Adds Death-Rays and Eldritch Aberrations to Mythology" is probably more appropriate by now :P))
Given how much we're screwing up the mythology, not really.
You do have a point, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: April 16, 2014, 08:37:29 am »

The time dilation makes no sense in the presence of someone who would not be able to realize it is happening though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:39 am »

The time dilation makes no sense in the presence of someone who would not be able to realize it is happening though.
How so? Why does it matter?

Well, looks like no one is fooling him anytime soon.
I find this assumption to be improbable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1030