Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 935706 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14910 on: June 02, 2014, 07:21:48 am »

Wait, wouldn't people only need registration for magic usage and not for possessing magic? I mean, if they don't use their magic, no one's going to find out and enforce the registration nor would there be much of a need to.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14911 on: June 02, 2014, 07:24:24 am »

well, obviously they can just pretend not to have magic, and many probably do. Many are not registered. Thing is, if you are able to conjure nuclear explosions, the government wants to know that you can, even if they are not going to let you do it.

And of course you would automaticaly get registered when you apply for the whitelist, even if you get denied
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14912 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:22 am »

Ok new point: 3rd world countries are clamoring for magic citizens to reveal themselves as a way to close the gap between themselves and the developed world, such magicians are being state sponsored as a matter of course with any past crimes wiped off the book and a blind eye generally turned for low level crimes they may commit.

There are small communities that came together because they believe the growing magic is a sign of the end times, they hold up with munitions stores that are frankly absurd for their size. And shoot anyone found to be a magician without question, these are mostly breakaway religious groups, but some "scientific" people that refuse to believe their eyes can be found as well.

Magical creatures are generally seen as a boon in society, but are also treated by most as outsiders, this is not helped that some are able to easily replace most unskilled labour with a cheaper alternative, even if paying more per individual
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14913 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:49 am »

Well, an obvious change in the five years is a boon in science. With access to a mostly under researched field now available, nearly every scientist has started to analyse how magic relates with other universal forces (and how it gets away with breaking rules of physics), how it integrates with biology and morphology, the material aspects of enchanted materials, using magic to make extremely small transistors, integrating wire-based technology and magic circles, the maths and physics behind teleportation and summoning, more weapon designs then you can poke a stick at, the possibilities seem to be endless.

There's been massive advances in magical theory and applications as a result, starting off another technological solution. This decade is the dawn of a new era for mankind, especially for its technology.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14914 on: June 02, 2014, 07:28:43 am »

Actually Also add that cosmetic surgeons are out of a job, most people that could afford them can afford the safer alternative of transmutation magic, which is faster, less painful and can do a much greater variety of changes
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14915 on: June 02, 2014, 07:29:50 am »

after just 5 years, I'd assume most of the stuff is mostly prototypes for now
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: June 02, 2014, 07:41:37 am »

Another change is that humanity isn't alone anymore, it shares the planet with a whole host of new sentient species. As per our normal ways, xenophobia initially follows, quickly followed up by the key trait of the 21st century: the social requirement to be tolerant. Generally, people are fine with them, so long as they aren't being really weird or terrifying. More and more non-humans pop up in public, some causing chaos, most just trying to fit in, and multiple industries attempt to account for that. Service industries are revolutionised to account for a whole new caste of customers, public structures are slowly modified so any species can use them, and multiple cultural exchanges happen all at once, leaving sentients with entirely different cultures to explore.

after just 5 years, I'd assume most of the stuff is mostly prototypes for now

You'd be surprised, technology these days advances pretty darn quick.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14917 on: June 02, 2014, 07:45:18 am »

I guess xenophobia goes both ways. Humans are everywhere and so many and have all those damn guns and will shoot you if they know what you are etc

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: June 02, 2014, 08:19:31 am »

I'm not changing Kyle.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: June 02, 2014, 08:24:15 am »

comparative example. For ICARUS, increasing 3 stats by that amount is a big spell, which costs 6 mana for every turn she uses that. And Kyle just starts with that?

frankly, Kyle ignores any and all of the balancing rules. The armor is frankly broken, and by simply ignoring that powers run of the mag stat, you minmaxed Kyle to absurdity - exactly the kind of stuff you have been complaining about. Or was it when you said "there will always be minmaxing" you meant "I will always be minmaxing"? If you want to godmod, v3 might not be the game for you. Everybody plays by the same rules.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14920 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:50 am »

I'm not changing a character I've been playing for two years, heck, since I joined the forums practically, for you.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14921 on: June 02, 2014, 08:30:37 am »

not just for me, but also for PN, Cado, Usec, Kansa, Wolfchild, Sanure, Projeck, GWG (I would assume?), also Emp and Smurf whod espite not playing are putting effort into balancing things, and for anybody else who may yet join.

this is a game we are all playing, not just us playing a game for you. That includes everybody playing by the same rules. As a child, did you also always claim you had a bullet proof vest when someone pointed their stick at you and said bang?

That being said, there is more to a character than "his stats are much better than everyone elses" as a defining characteristic
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:32:34 am by Akroma »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14922 on: June 02, 2014, 08:33:22 am »

As a child I didn't have a dramatis persona that I had been using for two years before the stick incident.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: June 02, 2014, 08:34:12 am »

Hmm... Now that I think about it, her two modes should do something for her other than allow her to use two skills. Should they also buff her in some capacity?
Perhaps, but how much and in what way?

That is a loooooot of buffs.
is that about Stella?, cause most of em are both positive and negative
True, you're only OP in the right environments. Heh.
Hard to tell, isn't it?

frankly, Kyle ignores any and all of the balancing rules. The armor is frankly broken, and by simply ignoring that powers run of the mag stat, you minmaxed Kyle to absurdity - exactly the kind of stuff you have been complaining about. Or was it when you said "there will always be minmaxing" you meant "I will always be minmaxing"? If you want to godmod, v3 might not be the game for you. Everybody plays by the same rules.
Pretty hard to pin down what, exactly, is unbalanced, isn't it? Oh, you know Kyle's unbalanced, but you can't give him specific examples of how he can tone down the power level while keeping the Kyle he knows and loves.

Again, if we were taking a page from GURPS as far as balancing abilities goes, it would be easier to figure these kinds of questions out.

It fires a beam of energy particles, not actual matter. And plus the energy is moving at 0.5c, but that's still pretty fast. Fast enough to not be able to be dodged.
As to the first bit, it matters little at those speeds. Unless you're firing neutrinos, but who would make a neutrino-based weapon?
Well, if you have a rifle that fires a lethal dose of neutrinos that really good aim/intel, you'd be able to snipe people through the planet :P Probably not the most efficient but it certainly does have a degree of style.
Not exactly easy, though. Assuming that you'r sniping that person from 2/3 of the planet's diameter away, the required neutrinos increase with the square of the distance (reasonable, since that's how most things roll), and that you're firing the neutrinos in about a 0.1-degree arc (unreasonable, but I need a number), you'd still need about 1.7E-13 supernovae to kill someone with neutrinos like that. It might not sound like much, but supernovae are freaking big. Assuming the same light:neutrino ratio of a supernova, your weapon would be brighter from literally a million miles away than detonating a nuclear weapon pressed against your eyeball (WARNING! Do not try at home). (Assuming xkcd is precisely correct and a supernova from an AU away is 109 times brighter than said nuke, they have equal brightness at 1.212 million miles.)
In case you haven't figured it out yet, my point is that whatever you're using to generate that many neutrinos is probably going to be more devastating than the neutrinos themselves. (Kinda like 500-mph winds.)

This !!science!! has been brought to you by Wolfram Alpha.

on different news
Spoiler: Stella maybe? (click to show/hide)
Not really. She has blue scales, said scales cover her whole body when she's even partly transformed, and that kind of expression and set of implied actions is completely out-of-character for her.

Wait, people had multiple active characters? That's a pain, especially if it gets metagamey.
You have no idea. At least we avoided getting metagamey for the most part.

Hmm... I wonder if true magic-based enchantments could be powered with doses of Stella's blood, specifically magical bullets, forming something similar to a Raufoss Mk211 thus using both its corrosive effects and magical properties to enhance the bullet's damage.
That depends. Is the person who is taking the doses doing so with consent, or is he in the hospital with horrible burn wounds watching as his darkest secrets get uncovered by some anonymous stranger?

I think for the setting, every player should write down 1-3 tidbits for stuff about the settings they'd like so, with explanations as to why they make sense etc, and then we compile them. If everyone adds something, already the setting becomes rather fleshed out.
Alright.
Spoiler: My Tidbits (click to show/hide)

hmm three points, I wanna do something with the dragons but that was GWG's plot-line, lemme think for a bit
I'd like to hear your ideas.

a) Shape-changers are required to register as such and must carry identification for all of their forms where identification is required, if an unrestricted shapechanger they must settle on a base form for ID and be chipped.
Ooh, good one.

I think shape-shifting registration falls under magic registration.
It's a different, probably more restrictive registration.
It's...um...I hate to use this example, but it's like the difference between having a criminal record and being on the sex offender registry.

Wait, wouldn't people only need registration for magic usage and not for possessing magic? I mean, if they don't use their magic, no one's going to find out and enforce the registration nor would there be much of a need to.
It's one of those laws that's on the books but pretty much unenforceable. You're still gonna get busted if you use magic without registering yourself, and most people are going to be getting registered anyways.

not just for me, but also for PN, Cado, Usec, Kansa, Wolfchild, Sanure, Projeck, GWG (I would assume?)...
You assume? I'm trying to add in a system for the express purpose of making the acquisition of balanced powers and perks, and you have to assume?

As a child I didn't have a dramatis persona that I had been using for two years before the stick incident.
If those horribly unbalanced stats are a vital part of your dramatis persona, your persona is a Mary Sue.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14924 on: June 02, 2014, 08:43:37 am »

The stat bonus the armor gives is kinda too much.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1030