Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 924426 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #12225 on: April 15, 2014, 06:08:10 pm »

Yes, I know it's a cop-out, but it is still theoretically possible, though not remotely likely for weird shit to occur. Very well, I shall present a different argument. How would you know it's the past? You can only observe the area you are in, not the rest of the universe, even if you could do so, his supposed past may have a differing past to the past of your own past.
Because it looks like the past.
How do you know it's actually me posting, and not someone who hacked my account? You don't. Does this mean that someone hacked my account? No.

1.) Well, the other option commonly considered is FTL, but that gets screwed over by mass dilation.
2.) Because magic is dictated by fickle beings known as the players and the GM. And the GM doesn't want time-travel backwards at all. I can't really present any meaningful arguments on that seeing as magic here involves arbitrary geometrical constructs, interest rates and sex.
1. We don't have to stick to relativity's time-dilation things, because we have magic. The question isn't if it's possible by a specific method, but if it's theoretically possible. So far, you haven't shown it to be theoretically impossible.
2. ...Well, that's a boring argument.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:09 pm »

Yes, I know it's a cop-out, but it is still theoretically possible, though not remotely likely for weird shit to occur. Very well, I shall present a different argument. How would you know it's the past? You can only observe the area you are in, not the rest of the universe, even if you could do so, his supposed past may have a differing past to the past of your own past.
Except one only has an idea of what the past is, a summation of memory and knowledge. To say it looks like the past would thus be to say that it looks like what one thinks what the past was.

1.) Well, the other option commonly considered is FTL, but that gets screwed over by mass dilation.
2.) Because magic is dictated by fickle beings known as the players and the GM. And the GM doesn't want time-travel backwards at all. I can't really present any meaningful arguments on that seeing as magic here involves arbitrary geometrical constructs, interest rates and sex.
1. We don't have to stick to relativity's time-dilation things, because we have magic. The question isn't if it's possible by a specific method, but if it's theoretically possible. So far, you haven't shown it to be theoretically impossible.
2. ...Well, that's a boring argument.
Sorry, I can't really form any concrete argument since the magic here doesn't so much have any rules as much as it has vague suggestions with little to no known limitations.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: April 15, 2014, 06:24:00 pm »

Meanwhile, Bismuth is gonna learn to do FMA-stuff by slamming her sword into the ground. And it will be glorious.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: April 15, 2014, 06:26:02 pm »

FMA?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: April 15, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »

Full metal alchemist I assume
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:17 pm »

Except one only has an idea of what the past is, a summation of memory and knowledge. To say it looks like the past would thus be to say that it looks like what one thinks what the past was.
You can make that same argument about any location. How do I know I'm at the house I grew up in? Because it looks like the house I grew up in. How do I know I'm at the White House? It looks like the White House. How do I know I'm in Low-Earth Orbit? Because it looks like Low-Earth Orbit. And because I'm suffocating, but that's just another sense so it fits.
In other words, your argument is fundamentally meaningless. You can travel to the past, but you just can't be 100% certain of it (just like you can't be 100% certain of anything).

Sorry, I can't really form any concrete argument since the magic here doesn't so much have any rules as much as it has vague suggestions with little to no known limitations.
And that's why you shouldn't declare anything as being impossible.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »

Full metal alchemist I assume
Indeed.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: April 15, 2014, 06:36:02 pm »

Seeing as I haven't heard of it, what would slamming the sword into the ground do? Transmute it?

You can make that same argument about any location. How do I know I'm at the house I grew up in? Because it looks like the house I grew up in. How do I know I'm at the White House? It looks like the White House. How do I know I'm in Low-Earth Orbit? Because it looks like Low-Earth Orbit. And because I'm suffocating, but that's just another sense so it fits.
In other words, your argument is fundamentally meaningless. You can travel to the past, but you just can't be 100% certain of it (just like you can't be 100% certain of anything).
At the end of the day, since this is using multiple worlds. Say you travel to the past, what it actually means is that you travel to what matches your interpretation of the past which is a pointless venture since you have chosen to observe what agrees with your viewpoint.

Yes, you cannot be 100% sure of it, hence why I may argue it is the result of memory and knowledge, there's no concrete past that one may know of. Devil's Proof, this "true past" may as well be God, or the aether with no way to prove it nor any method to disprove it. Unfair, I admit but it nonetheless sustains the matter.

And that's why you shouldn't declare anything as being impossible.
It is impossible as the GM said it is, the issue is, in regards to magic, I do not know what the precise reason is. Presumably, to record data on all particles and determine previous states is just as impossible with magic as it is without.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: April 15, 2014, 06:38:31 pm »

First off, you have no nerd cred at all.

Second off, it would do alchemy stuff. So yeah, transmute the ground and/or materials in the circle.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: April 15, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »

Why can't it just transmute the air? Or the person it stabs?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: April 15, 2014, 06:43:15 pm »

It can transmute the air, but it can't get a lot out of room-temperature nitrogen and oxygen.

Transmuting the victim is an excellent idea, though. >:D

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:00 pm »

What can it transmute things into? Actual elements? Compounds? Antimatter? Exotic Particles? Magical Stuff with Odd Names?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: April 15, 2014, 06:48:18 pm »

Can transmute one arrangement of atoms into another, definitely. May or may not be able to make things change elements.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:37 pm »

So it could stab someone, misfold their proteins to form prions and give them something like mad cow disease?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: April 15, 2014, 06:51:17 pm »

At the end of the day, since this is using multiple worlds. Say you travel to the past, what it actually means is that you travel to what matches your interpretation of the past which is a pointless venture since you have chosen to observe what agrees with your viewpoint.
Yes, you cannot be 100% sure of it, hence why I may argue it is the result of memory and knowledge, there's no concrete past that one may know of. Devil's Proof, this "true past" may as well be God, or the aether with no way to prove it nor any method to disprove it. Unfair, I admit but it nonetheless sustains the matter.
Not only is it unfair, it is meaningless. The exact same argument that you use to say that travel to the past is impossible, I can use to say that travel to my house is impossible. Since travel to my house is possible, your argument is invalid. Your conclusion is valid with your assumptions, but the conclusion is inconsistent with reality and is therefore untrue.

To rephrase this refutation: You're Zeno, I'm walking across the room.

It is impossible as the GM said it is, the issue is, in regards to magic, I do not know what the precise reason is. Presumably, to record data on all particles and determine previous states is just as impossible with magic as it is without.
Things that are far less possible have been done with magic.

So it could stab someone, misfold their proteins to form prions and give them something like mad cow disease?
Seems like a lot of effort and precision needed for not much gain. And it's called Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease in humans.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1030