Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 935528 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14700 on: June 01, 2014, 05:21:29 am »

That depends, are we talking about anti-magic as in the thing that fucks up magic and prevents its usage, or antimagic as in void?

In the first case, it usually just cancels it out, unless the anti-magical field has an exception for that kind of magic, though I suppose it could cut a powerful spell down to a weaker, more appropriate size.

In the second case, they tend to fuck each other (in a different way to the God of Creation and the God of Void) but can be used together if done right. Doesn't generate anything 'pure', but can be used without destructive interference.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:23:46 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14701 on: June 01, 2014, 05:53:27 am »

From my understanding, there isn't any "pure" supernatural force, though it is possible to get something pure from some domains.
The former PC, Shys'm Caes wielded pure Creation.
The NPC, Void (yeah, @Ragnarok never bothered giving him a name) wields pure Void (though I don't think he ever used it).
I don't think pure persona are possible unless you fuck around with the collective unconscious and archetypes seeing as they tend to be locked to their user.
Fate was available by proxy but now due to it's agents being abandoned, is available only in pure form.
Wall Street isn't available in pure form as it's abilities are broken down into set categories.
The Gallery's magic seems to only ever be used in pure form.
Not sure what a pure superpower would be. Probably not possible.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:59:46 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14702 on: June 01, 2014, 06:01:27 am »

As Creation and Void seem to be opposing forces, I thought combining them would make something... explosive, like matter + antimatter.

Alright, we should work out the kinks in the prototype system, whatever they may be.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14703 on: June 01, 2014, 06:06:51 am »

Okay, time to write up the complete system, and then wait for all the dozens of comments what needs to be changed because I am such a fool.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

I think this is it. I will try to figure out summoning rules soon, but as only Alucard seems to be using that, it's less of a problem, as the stuff he summons falls into my lore expertise, so I can decide upon what category a summon is in. Bigger summons may need to be sustained through a continous mana cost though

now, feel free to make adjustments to this system or make your own and whatnot. When enough time has passed, voting will happen
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:22:41 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14704 on: June 01, 2014, 07:02:45 am »

Hmm, maybe have a singular defense skill instead of two? It'd make combat a bit easier, especially if an attack is a combination of physical and magical attacks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:04:23 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14705 on: June 01, 2014, 07:04:05 am »

singular defence makes minmaxing super easy. The purpose of having two is that it makes it very difficult to cover all bases. With just one defense stat, you put that very high and are safe from all forms of attack. Have two, and either you are weak to one form of attack, or you put both of them high, meaning your other skills will fall short
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:07:25 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14706 on: June 01, 2014, 07:12:19 am »

True. Then can we integrate defense into other skills? Less stats is always good.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14707 on: June 01, 2014, 07:16:01 am »

very against it. from the start, the problem was some skills doing way more than others, and just pumping them up would make you nearly invincible.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14708 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:20 am »

Hmm...

Well, there's no skill that seems to dominate the others, so it should be fine.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14709 on: June 01, 2014, 08:09:36 am »

so, assuming we will use this system, I already have Icarus statted. If maybe someone else will try and do their character, for a test battle? For testing Purposes, assume 80 pool, and Items worth 4-8 points, really depends on your tastes.

I.C.A.R.U.S (Independant Combat And Rescue Utility System)

An original project by IRIS and DARPA to create the ultimate weapon for the fight against the supernatural, 7 Prototypes were built and distributed around the world for testing purposes. Through interactions of remnant magic from Winries technomancy and Kyles supernatural fertility when he tried to update ICARUS programming, a sort of electronical spirit was sparked into life, which slowly but surely grew more intelligent, eventually sentient, and even obtained a soul. This spirit, Icarus, marks the beginning of an entirely new age of supernatural phenomena, but is sadly entirely reliant on a sufficently advanced computer to sustain her existance.

Currently lives with Alice in Calais, trying to not draw too much attention, as previous events that maaaay be interpreted as a terrorist attack forced her to abandon the ICARUS-05, and go into hiding with the PIXEL-01. That doesn't stop her from going out at night and beating up criminals. She just can't help it, it's part of her nature. She also has taken up hacking, and is showing quite a talent for it, understanding systems better than most humans could. The PIXEL has various cables that can be used to gain access to systems, should a port be found, and has little trouble wirelessly accessing W-Lan, or even tinkering with mobile phones.

Stats (100)

Health:         14 - 42 HitPoints
Mana:           11 - 22 Mana
Speed:          16 (17)
Skill:             15
Strength:       13 (16)
Mag:              9
Defence:        13 (14)
Resistance:     9

Perks: (I guess they carry over from v2?): Brisk - Speed roll is increased by +1 when dodging
Statperk: Speed - Dual attack on two targets at 60% damage, calculated after damage reduction

Equipment:
PIXEL-01: A body created by Winry, which at least while dressed, looks human. Made for intermingling with society and evading law enforcement.

Robot-Fists +3 on damage on "unarmed" attacks. Concealed weaponry that pretty much looks like normal fists, but quite suprise when you notice they have a steel skelleton
Normal Handgun, +3 on damage, ranged, 10 shots in magazine, unregistered.
Steel-Frame (light armor) +1 on damage reduction
Weak to electricity, weak to acids, immune to poison, Overdrive is locked at small acts. Overdrive in this body can increase Str, Spe, Skl.

ICARUS-05: A body created by Winry in cooperation with IRIS and DARPA, after recent events, is locked up at the headquarters of Interpol in Lyon (that's where the HQ really is. Convenient coincidence that our old base is not far from there)

Orichalcum high-frequency blade, +4 on damage, ignores 1 point of armor. Increased damage against the divine.
Silver Particle Cannon, +2 on damage, magical damage, allows the increase of mag through Overdrive
Boron-Nitrate-fiber Armor +2 on damage reduction
High torque cyclonic barrier, when activated allows the increase of Def with overdrive.
Weak to electricity, resistant to fire, immune to poison, Overdrive is locked at medium acts. Overdrive can increase Str, Spe, Skl, Mag, Def.

HYDRA-01: A body designed by DARPA, and ICARUS by faking the identity of various designers that worked from home. Not built yet.

Ability: Overdrive. Icarus sends energy into her systems to for a short time, greatly increase her combat abilities. Not all stats can be buffed, details in backstory. Because her current body, the PIXEL-01 is not the high tech military hardware she used to pilot, her abilities are currently locked at minor acts, until the ICARUS-05 (medium) and/or the HYDRA-01 (big) have been attained

Negliable: Sensors. Unless whatever Icarus is scanning is actively shielded against scans, her Sensors can gather a large amount of information hidden to the naked eye. [locked]: Flight.

Small: Increase of single stat by 1.5 or two stats by 1.2 (TN: No roll, cost 2 mana)

Medium: Doubling of a single stat, 1.5 of two stats, increase by 1.2 of 3 stats (TN:3, cost 4 mana)

Big: etc (TN:3, minor drawback - deals d3 damage to body, cost 6 mana)

higher levels will be statted when they become avaiable.

Of note: Weak to electrical attacks, but resistant to fire based attacks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:55:22 am by Akroma »

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14710 on: June 01, 2014, 08:14:05 am »

I'll make a character for the test battle

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14711 on: June 01, 2014, 08:15:01 am »

I think the mana costs are a little low on ICARUS, they should be higher otherwise we run into the same problem of mana never running out in battle again.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14712 on: June 01, 2014, 08:16:13 am »

Best try and stat HILDA or Alucard, or something you will use in the future anyway, saves time for when you actually need to stat them and fix their abilities etc

Kansa: noted. Manapools and Manacosts will be subject for revision, after the test battle.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14713 on: June 01, 2014, 08:17:39 am »

"Refining"? My queries are more on the "defining" side.

I know that not many people are interested in it, but...for the record, if we went with GURPS, all these numbers would be both defined and refined.
Well, I do want to avoid cases of this, so I'd rather roll for combat checks than have it a set value.
First, is that really the best video you could find?
Second, GURPS does involve rolling, it's just that the difficulty of various rolls is already determined and the numbers adjusted accordingly. As another bonus, it lets us figure out abilities that much more easily.

A circle like that would be drawn over an entire city or country. Plus it only works during a solar eclipse.
Does it need to be total? If not, what part of the circle needs to be eclipsed? Total solar eclipses aren't very wide...

Okay, back on topic, how will lore be handled? I have summaries of some of it below:

-snip-
You left out demons.
Spoiler: Hell and Demons (click to show/hide)
I'd also like to note that a fair portion of the cast seems to be bisexual, rather than merely homosexual.

Equipment being an innuendo for a mans genitals and enchanted... being magically imbued somethings.
Seriously? You felt the need to read innuendo into that?

Looks fine to me, though I wonder if magic has a void counterpart.
Depends on how you define "magic". It could easily be its own Void counterpart.

Not sure what a pure superpower would be. Probably not possible.
Considering that the universe superpowers are from is based on comic books...there's probably someone wielding pure superpower.

Optional rule: Depending on which stat on a character is the highest, he gains a perk based on that stat.
How about just generalized perks? That allows us to differentiate between characters even better. Or we could incorporate perks into powers.
This could be a good place to slip in a bit of GURPS hybrid. Use this system for most things, but use GURPS advantages (with some tweaking to fit the system, or only selecting ones that don't need it) for the perks and powers.

Mana:
...A regen phase is about 6 hours without using mana, and regens your Mana by as many points as the stat is high...
Possible perks: regen of mana during combat 1 point every 3 rounds...
Seems like a pretty dang impressive perk...especially compared to its Health equivalent.

Speed:
When you are dodging multiple enemies in succession, you gain a penalty of -1 on each successive dodge. This penalty resets between hits.
Why? I'd have it reset between turns--ie, once you've had a turn, you don't take more penalties on dodge rolls.

Skill:
How good you are at aiming, timing your attacks or going for blindspots. This is also the skill that is used to roll on for mundane skills, like crafting and whatever else, if the GM feels it is appropriate.
...Seems like a pretty darn generic mishmash. Master smiths also have to be sharpshooters?

Strength:
How good you are at dealing physical damage. Yes, I know, being super buff should not affect your damage if you use a gun, BUT we are looking for unified system, with clear rules. So you better be lifting son.
Also problematic.

Wether or not Personas use the same stat or are so radicaly different, I barely care. Only one person uses them, and in fact, does not use them for anything other than the healing spell, and instead has technology skills that definetly classify as a superpower. I will leave this for others to figure out.
For the record, I don't really care if we ditch Personas altogether. They don't really mesh with anything else...and they were introduced by Richard, aka "person from another universe".

Should someones health fall to 0, that character is unconscious, probably heavily bleeding. His allies now have [health] turns time to perform any sort of CPR or live saving measures on him. This takes no roll, however while doing so, you are an easy target, and prone to interruption. Maybe you wanna kill the demon first and CPR then? Maybe someone should cover you? Should health fall below 0, you have that much less turns to save the wounded allies live. Wether he was saved or not, that character is out of combat.
And what about after combat?

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)
I'm noticing that there's basically no mention of where anything but attacks would fit in. Since the non-combat magic was the most problematic...shouldn't we bother to do something about that?
Insert point that GURPS would provide a balanced, complete system for this here.
On that note...well...it would be kinda tough to fit into your proposed Magic system, but if we just used GURPS for the abilities, we would have access to a wider array of potential powers. Passive powers, for instance, are impossible. Having multiple weaker types of magic? Difficult if not impossible to balance. Noncombat magic? Fiat time. Perks? Better hope you can get a stat one that fits your fancy. These problems are solved with a GURPS hybrid system. The biggest problem would be converting damage values, but that's not such a problem.

True. Then can we integrate defense into other skills? Less stats is always good.
Oh, I disagree. Less stats is only good if there are too many stats. Splitting up the Ruling Stats (stats that are far, far more important than any other, like Dexterity in v2 of this game, Agility in Looter's Delight, Speed in Call of Cthulhu...huh, I'm noticing a trend) is always a good thing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14714 on: June 01, 2014, 08:34:41 am »

A) Generalised perks, maybe. Make a list of suggestions. I'd suppose chars start with just one.

B) Considering we will revise mana amount and/or mana costs of spells, it becomes less impressive, but yeah it might be nerfed to every 4 or 5 turns.

C) Maybe. I was just trying to resolve a common problem we have, that we are usualy in great numerical advantage, and if the penalty does not reset, villains would be pummelled to death rather quickly. The penalty reseting after being hit makes things more survivable, without making things entirely untouchable.

D) Well, I'm very reluctant to enter yet another stat to handle mundane perks. I am open to suggestions. Anyway, a guidelines for PCs is "just because you could does not mean you should". If someone takes high skill to have a high mundane skill, that person is welcome to put a smaller amount of points behind the number in brackets for combat - or maybe take low skill, and then a perk that increases it for the mundane skill?

E) Different weapons running off different skills to deal damage is too minmaxy. Someone who uses guns would not need and strength at all, but only skill, thus being able hit more often *and* deal more damage, all with the same stat. Similar things happen if damage for weapons would run of dex etc etc. So no, Strength stays the stat for physical damage, regardless of your weapon.

F) Non-attack magic falls into the descriptions the players put on their sheets, examples etc. When they then do some magicing out of combat, the GM compares the suggested action to the examples to see what kind of category it would fall in to determine mana costs and TN. Multiple types of magic as with Sanure do get balanced by them being weaker. They'd deal way less damage in regard to their mana cost, basicaly putting all of that kinda stuff up one category.

And yes, some magic does fall into fiat time. It's the GMs duty to look into just how powerful an action is to see if it is possible, give it appropriate mana cost and TN, and then narrate the result. That's what GMs do

G) After combat, any players remaining alife will stabilize wounded players if they have time. The unconscious player still need a regen phase until the get back up and can act again.

-----------

As for the mana patch, how about simply doubling the costs we have right now. Small spells costing 2, then 4, then 6 etc. That way ICARUS would for example run out of Mana after 3 big uses of her power - which is basicaly how it is right now. Considering how much big spells do, that seems good. Mana regen may also be slower

updated rules
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:37:45 am by Akroma »
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1030