Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 936627 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14715 on: June 01, 2014, 08:42:31 am »

It still seems a bit too powerful that way with what the powers give, maybe nerfing the powers itself is the answer. With how it is now you can double a stat and times two other ones by 1.5 for the entire battle with no rolls required.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14716 on: June 01, 2014, 08:44:35 am »

not the entire battle, just for one turn, also only double one OR increase two by 1.5.

but yeah, scaling and balancing is still something all abilities will go through, as it stands, this is an early alpha ICARUS, the ability may yet be decreased

edit: updated rules again, and updated Icarus. As it stands, using her power in a minor act to increase her strength would increase it by 4.5, to 14 (rounded down), or if she wanted to increase both speed and skill at once that would increase speed by 2.6 so by 3 points, and skill by 2.4, so 2 points. For a single turn, for 2 mana. On average the strength increase would increase the damage range before damage reduction, with the +2 from the weapon to 3-17. An enemy with I guess a 10 in defence would be common, would reduce that damage by 1-10 points, so a boosted attack would, on average do about 5-6 damage, however the spread is quite large, might at max deal 16 damage, though unlikely. Unboosted, against the same opponent, Icarus would have a damage range from 3-13, and would on average deal 3 damage, to a possible maximum of 12.

Seems okay to me. In fact, maybe even a little low. I may consider lowering health, or increasing base weapon damage. What do you guys think would be better?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:56:52 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14717 on: June 01, 2014, 08:53:47 am »

Ah ok I thought it was both sorry, by saying for the entire battle I meant that you could basically just use it over and over as there is no cool down on the actual abilities.

The new abilities seem better now :)
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14718 on: June 01, 2014, 08:57:38 am »

Dr. Alucard Faucheuse
XP: 570

Stats    (120)
 HP------13 [39]
 MP-----22 [44]
 SPEED---6
 SKILL---20
 STR-----6
 MAG----34
 DEF-----9
 RES-----14 [14]

Perks
 Magic Efficiency- In his years researching magic, Alucard has learned to more easily cast spells. -2 to spell TN.
 Manaburn- Alucard's spells disrupt the target's mana pool, draining mana equal to 20% of the damage he deals.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special Moves (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:11:07 pm by PrivateNomad »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14719 on: June 01, 2014, 09:01:33 am »

well, what do you think, made an edit to previous post running some numbers.

Is this sort of damage output acceptable? Does health need to be reduced, or base weapon damage be increased? I think that is a normal weapon only adds +2 to damage, against average healthpools of 60, that is rather low. The maximum damage dealt seems big, but that would require Icarus rolling a 17, and the enemy rolling a 1, so it is absolutely justified that it deals huge damage.

I am thinking a bit of both, putting Health to give you 5 HP (6 with perk), and all weapon bases be increased by +1

PN, please include in your char description examples for negliable, small, minor etc acts, for the GM to better judge how stuff, especialy out of combat, should be judged.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14720 on: June 01, 2014, 09:04:08 am »

update: decreased healthpool, increased base weapon damage, updated Icarus inventory.

PN please adjust your sheet, and then we shall have our test battle. I will gladly GM it. Note that magic damage has been nerfed to 1.5 mag on small, 2*mag on medium etc spells

suggestion for the void rift in mechanics. AoE that through the sucking effect, decreases the speed of those caught in the AoE by 2 points (as a small act), 4/6 for medium and big, though medium and big can also used to increase AoE, or difficulty of escape. Resistance roll to escape, TN on 3/5/7  but minimum time affected by the rift is 1 turn. (it's all on resistance nowadays, streamlining and all), if resistance rolls crifails (rolls a 1) get sucked to center and no, dont instantly land in the void, but take d3 void based damage, higher damage if spell is set to deal high damage. Note that any increase in the suggested fields mean an increase in spell size, not an increase in spell size means that all fields increase
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:13:17 am by Akroma »

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14721 on: June 01, 2014, 09:08:58 am »

Updated.

Akroma, can void entities be sealed, banished, etc?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14722 on: June 01, 2014, 09:10:33 am »

A) Generalised perks, maybe. Make a list of suggestions. I'd suppose chars start with just one.
"A list"? I think you're missing the point: That characters would be able to make perks that best suited their own abilities.

B) Considering we will revise mana amount and/or mana costs of spells, it becomes less impressive, but yeah it might be nerfed to every 4 or 5 turns.
"In-combat" is pretty impressive compared to "every several hours," no matter how many turns it takes.

C) Maybe. I was just trying to resolve a common problem we have, that we are usualy in great numerical advantage, and if the penalty does not reset, villains would be pummelled to death rather quickly. The penalty reseting after being hit makes things more survivable, without making things entirely untouchable.
The solution? More than one enemy.

D) Well, I'm very reluctant to enter yet another stat to handle mundane perks. I am open to suggestions. Anyway, a guidelines for PCs is "just because you could does not mean you should". If someone takes high skill to have a high mundane skill, that person is welcome to put a smaller amount of points behind the number in brackets for combat - or maybe take low skill, and then a perk that increases it for the mundane skill?
Maybe something. It still feels wrong, though...

F) Non-attack magic falls into the descriptions the players put on their sheets, examples etc. When they then do some magicing out of combat, the GM compares the suggested action to the examples to see what kind of category it would fall in to determine mana costs and TN. Multiple types of magic as with Sanure do get balanced by them being weaker. They'd deal way less damage in regard to their mana cost, basicaly putting all of that kinda stuff up one category.
And yes, some magic does fall into fiat time. It's the GMs duty to look into just how powerful an action is to see if it is possible, give it appropriate mana cost and TN, and then narrate the result. That's what GMs do
I'm not sure how well that would work...especially since we told smurf that his role as GM wouldn't involve doing particularly much.

G) After combat, any players remaining alife will stabilize wounded players if they have time. The unconscious player still need a regen phase until the get back up and can act again.
Alright. Good to know that there are numbers.

but yeah, scaling and balancing is still something all abilities will go through.
For the record, if we used GURPS as a guide for abilities, they would be pre-balanced.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14723 on: June 01, 2014, 09:15:55 am »

PN, maybe consider my rule example for the rift? A basic rift does not need to be medium, only as you increase certain fields (AoE, slow effect, difficulty to escape, damage if in center) gets increased to suit needs, it increases

also, we need to find a duration for the rift. I'd say base is 2 turns, and beyond that, needs to be kept up, that is to say after 2 turns, every further turn costs a point of mana, as a suggestion

and yes, they can be banished, by people who know their way around anti-magic, or who are summoners themselves, as summoners always also learn how to unsummon. they probably leanr how to unsummon before they even learn how to summon. Never call what you can't get rid off
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:17:33 am by Akroma »

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14724 on: June 01, 2014, 09:27:38 am »

Edited. Does more damage to the center and decreases speed in AoE.
Base 2 turns is good.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14725 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:02 am »

I like the idea of Alucard having an anti-magic pistol and an anti-void pistol that can be combined to form a completely normal pistol :P

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14726 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:00 am »

Alright then, combat time.

Alucard bumps into Icarus in a crowded bar, spilling her robo-drink.

"Da fug dude you wan fighd? Bring id you gasmask sukin freag!"

Combatants:

Icarus (50) (18)
Alucard (50) (26)

Insert action.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14727 on: June 01, 2014, 09:35:35 am »

"bich 1v1 me robot fgt get on mi lvl kid ima 360 nscope u"

Alucard conjures a major void rift. In the middle of the bar.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14728 on: June 01, 2014, 09:47:37 am »

Turn 1.

ICARUS, having the higher init, boosts her strength by 1.5, to 14 (16 mana remaining), and then proceeds to punch Alucard straight in the face!
[6]vs[2], she hits him square, dealing [6+3] vs [2] 7 damage! Alucard has 43 health remaining.

Alucard, wanting to settle things quickly goes all out on ICARUS, conjuring a void rift [7] and is succesfull, spending 5 mana (21 remaining). He tries to aim to get ICARUS into the center [10] vs [4+1-2], and is succesful. ICARUS takes [8] vs [2] 6 damage! While in the rift, her speed is decreased by 4. She has 44 Health remaining. Several people in the bar are also sucked in, panic erupts, a piano is slammed somewhere.

Combatants:

Icarus (44) (16)
Alucard (43) (21)

Insert action.
Also man, all dem colors, In bigger battles I may cut down on that, it takes ages. The 4+1-2 is her rolling a 4, +1 from the brisk perk, -2 because AoE
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:49:17 am by Akroma »

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14729 on: June 01, 2014, 09:49:21 am »

Spoiler: new stats Selina (click to show/hide)

Selina stated cause why not?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:16:11 pm by RangerCado »
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 1030