Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Lets Play! UFO:Alien Invasion - Its over, sorry!  (Read 20228 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

I would like to bring a six pack of MaxClones and a bunch of boom to the fight if I can, please.

We should use Paranoia Rules.
Six clones. Every death a beer.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I would like to bring a six pack of MaxClones and a bunch of boom to the fight if I can, please.

We should use Paranoia Rules.
Six clones. Every death a beer.

That is, of course, where I got the six pack from.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

I wouldnt have it any other way. Hell, anyone who whats one can have a set of clones. Hopefully will have an update up later tonight or early tomorrow.
This is a blank sig.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

And that was how Shadenight123, Maximum and Monkeyhead all got smashed as the Earth burned beneath the Alien invasion.
Mostly, it probably was monkey's fault for willingly sending soldiers to their dooms in exchange for booze.
I can already imagine the ending credits.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

27th March, 2084, 10.30pm

Spoiler: Pilot Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Tiruin has made an official request to change their deployment – apparently they also hold a valid combat pilot rating. I have assigned Tiruin to pilot the dropship – it’s not an glamorous job, but someone has to do it. 2 new recruits and an experimental project replace them, as detailed in their bio’s below.

A young Brit fresh out of marine training with impressive strength and rifle ability. A bit on the slow side though.

This Brazilian lady is a decent sharpshooter who has a shady history – her government records appear to have been heavily edited with regards to what duty she has seen. Suspicious.

Spoiler: MaxClone Alpha (click to show/hide)
Normally I wouldn’t touch such a project with a bargepole. However, desperate times require desperate measures. A secret UN human biology department is running a project to clone then artificially accelerate the growth of a human foetus (which they are calling mitosis assisted acceleration, hance MAX) to a fully developed adult in less than a week. The results are... interesting. Clone Alpha seems to understand that he is fully expendable, and although I am not about to order the useless deaths of my soldiers, he shows no fear of getting killed. This could be useful – especially as it displays a strong affinity for grenades.

29th March, 2084, 8.30am
Dr Branth’s assistant has submitted the final designs for a ground laser battery. Faster firing and far more accurate than our missile batteries but with a much shorter range and less punch, it is essentially an up rated version of the aerial cannon, it is a shame we have no space to turn over to one just yet. Might be useful in any future bases though.

I have ordered the immediate dissection of one of the dead aliens to see what useful intel can be gleaned from their biology.

31st March, 2084, 6.15pm
The autopsy has been completed. Below are some key excerpts from Dr Branth’s report on the “Taman”. The name apparently comes from Hindi or Sanskrit, and means “Demon”.

Spoiler: Mmm, organs... (click to show/hide)

1) Basic humanoid body plan – bipedal, brain and sensory apparatus similar to human, internal structure and organs all basically similar in function and structure to human, save for the digestive tract which has3 stomachs apparently for the digesting of plant matter – the biochemistry of their stomach suggests they cannot digest meat of any kind. At least they have not come here to eat us.  Shorter and lighter than humans, thin delicate skeleton.

2) An interesting structure was found in the throat of the alien, isolating its lungs from our atmosphere. Dr Branth requests permission to analyse this device further.

3) Large overdeveloped eyes offer better night vision than the human eye. This eye should be very sensitive to the effects of a flash-bang.

4) The thick skin of a Taman contains silicon based molecules, providing some resistance to heat and impact – it will require extended exposure to fire to harm one.

5) The frail skeleton provides minimal protection to the internal organs of the body. The Taman is highly vulnerable to explosive and armour piercing weapons.

Analysis: A highly dangerous combatant – agile and potentially very smart. Delicate manipulators suggest the ability to use a wide variety of weaponry. DNA analysis shows minimal similarities to humans, with their DNA seemingly to have a more complex structure than our own. Could they have been the legendary “greys” from the 1950’s? I have ordered the lab team to analyse the strange implant to determine both what it does and how it does it.

1st April, 2084, Midnight
Our first funding has cleared from the UN – our monthly running costs come to around 250,000 Cr, and we were granted a total of near enough 650,000 from the 8 funding bodies along with a new batch of potential employees. It is early days yet though and nobody is yet displeased with our efforts at protecting them from the alien threat. Our workshos have finished production of the aircraft mounted laser cannons - these replace our rotary cannons.

1st April, 2084, 8am
Construction of our secure storage yard in the Egyptian Sahara is complete. Intact specimens of UFO’s will be sent here for dismantling and analysis.

4th April, 2084, 8am

We are receiving reports of alien activity in Egypt. A craft and a number of aliens have been spotted in a Red Sea harbour, fairly close to our storage facility. I cannot help but conclude that they are investigating what we are up to. The dropship is loaded up and ordered out.

Combat report to follow.

Spoiler: In Hospital (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Fallen... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:10:05 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

5th April 2084, 2.40AM

The dropship arrives at the harbour in the early hours of the morning. Tiruin struggles to find a spot large enough to land in, but finally manages this in amongst a messy jumble of shipping containers. She elects to stay on site to avoid a risky take off amongst the cluttered scenery. Fortunately the artificial lighting at the dock provides enough light to see by.

The squad fans out into a search pattern, picking its way slowly through the shipping crates in an easterly direction.

Shadenight spots the first enemy – standing in clear view on top of a stack of shipping containers.  He appears to be carrying two of the nasty alien short range pistols we recovered from the farmhouse. There is no clear shot on the alien yet, so Shadenight and Lukeinator take cover ready to ambush it when it moves.

Spoiler: Dramatic hiding shot (click to show/hide)

Lukeinator then spots a second alien at the foot of a cargo crane – it takes a few pot shots at him but misses. Lukeinator returns the favour, scoring a hit and wounding the alien.

Spoiler: This one loves cranes (click to show/hide)

Shadenight pops his head out of cover to check on the alien spotted earlier – he has made a move down from the container to chase some dockworkers (who goes to work at 3am?), and is easily dispatched with a clean headshot.

The rest of the squad move into a flanking position to take down the alien engaged by Lukeinator. This alien chases after and guns down a civilian.

Unfortunately, it turns out that the alien killed by Shadenight was not the one hiding on top of the shipping containers. The one who was drops down from above Lukeinator, and from point blank range covers him with bolts of plasma. Lukeinator is killed instantly, with several charred holes visible in his torso. The young marine is our first combat fatality, but discipline in the squad holds. Shadenight dispatches the alien with a second neat headshot.

Spoiler: Revenge! (click to show/hide)

MaxClone is next to act – neatly lobbing a grenade at the alien from under the crane tower.

The alien didn’t stand a chance.

Again, a short but frantic combat. 180 seconds saw us kill 3 aliens. Granted, we lost a man and 2 civvies also died, but I was pleased with how well our weapons performed against the enemy. The squad heads back to base to rearm. When they return I lead a short memorial service for our fallen comrade. It is hard not to think how many of these I will need to do, and who will be next on the KIA list.

Spoiler: In Hospital (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Fallen... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:24:19 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I found one of the hardest parts of this game is pure attrition, especially of soldiers.  Even though we only lost one soldier, and that is typical for some missions (basically any involving lots of close-in fighting, where the alien weapons are strictly superior and ambushes are common), those single soldier losses add up over the month.  Piled onto that is the need to station soldiers at bases, and the more bases you have, the more soldiers you need for the garrison.

In my short experience with this game, I commonly had four-soldier garrisons (essentially half strength, although I'm not certain if base defense is capped at 8 or 12 or higher).  The fact they were often unarmored and equipped with pistols didn't help on base defense, lol.  I eventually wise-ed up and at least got them some assault rifles.

Of course, most of my current experience is on impossible difficulty.  Your results may vary.   :P

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

I typically have 17 soldiers per base (as I can fit 60 housing slots in my starting build - 3 pilots, 20 for lab workers and 20 for engineers), so even when a dropship is out I have 9 troops on base (minus whoever is in the hospital, and at least 5 when better transports become availiable. I also have learnt to leave them ALL armed and armoured up just in case - one storeroom has 10000 supply space, and I never seem to go above 8000. Base defence is capped at 12 troops.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:38:09 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, that is pretty impressive.  Of course, from this LP so far, I think I'm a bit more aggressive with building bases, so I've got more marginal bases than you do.  Although if I'd doing poorly, I'd prioritize the living quarters and storage just so I can defend the base prior to pouring money into making it actually functional.

Any advice on the managing the economy.  I've often had to sell squad sidearms to fund new scientists and so forth.

Also, for the readers at home, I'd like to point out that it isn't strictly necessary to arm and armor soldiers that will be used for purely base defense, as the game gives you an option to equip and assign base defenders immediately prior to the alien attack on the base.  However, I don't think you can purchase equipment at that time, so it's a lot safer to arm and armor troops prior to the alien attack, as that way silly mistakes can be avoided such as giving the base defenders 4 assault rifles but no ammo (which means the rifles are useless, and probably the soldiers also, as without a loaded gun, grenade, or melee weapon they can't attack).

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

I am sad to see that my guy didn't manage to kill anything this turn, but I'm liking this LP so far  :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am sad to see that my guy didn't manage to kill anything this turn, but I'm liking this LP so far  :D

I can relate, but at least we're still alive!  Here's to not dying!   :D

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

I tend to never have more than 2 or 3 bases the entire game tbh - its possible to cover the main population centres with 3 bases and some radar towers, and the later game fighters have an insane range. As for the economy... not really. Production doesnt really turn a profit (other than a marginal profit you can make selling deconstructed UFO components as opposed to whole UFO's), but selling alien gear you dont need is a decent earner. Base upkeep is signifigantly expensive (especially in wage bills), which is why I limit how many I run. I tend to have a production base near my UFO yard (which is usually my starting base, which is modified once my second base is up and running), a research base and optionally a third base crammed with long range fighters. Each base needs a single, preferably two fighters and a combat team to defend and carry out local recoveries, with the main fighter base carrying out most of the ground combat.

The best way to balance the books is to carry out as many missions as possible - this will keep you funding and a steady supply of saleable goods, but thats hardly ground breaking advice. I am quite agressive on not emplying engineers or scientists if there is nothing to make or research, but thats more relevant in the late game. Mid game, when I have little cash and things are going badly I might not be able to do any production or research at all - I think its just how the game is meant to work. I tend to play on Very Hard rather than Impossible, as the devs state that the impossible difficulty is meant to be nigh on unwinnable and I like a fighting chance.
This is a blank sig.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile

I'll take a soldier again, Luke, any weapon.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another question, a bit spoilery: How do I make man-portable laser weapons?  I haven't found the new research requirements on the site, unlike most everything else.

Boy, is there a great weapon for you in the semi-distant future (if you don't mind star wars references)!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Sure thing - will get you in next update.

Another question, a bit spoilery: How do I make man-portable laser weapons?  I haven't found the new research requirements on the site, unlike most everything else.

Boy, is there a great weapon for you in the semi-distant future (if you don't mind star wars references)!

This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13