Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Lets Play! UFO:Alien Invasion - Its over, sorry!  (Read 19954 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Lets Play! UFO:Alien Invasion - Its over, sorry!
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:12:52 am »

UFO:AI is a little gem I have fallen in love with over the last 6 months. In short, it is a free, open source game inspired by X-Com. Interested? Find it here. The key word here is inspired – this is not a remake. Instead the dev’s of this project are aiming for a realistic, gritty, and dark military sci-fi. The game is hard and brutal, just as an X-Com style title should be. This LP shall be run using the in development 2.5 version of this game which has some nifty features, but is slightly unstable. You guys have naming privileges for pretty much anything – nearly any structure or employee can be renamed, and I would imagine most you wanting to be named as a soldier or pilot. Just dont expect to live for very long.

Spoiler: Plot... (click to show/hide)

I will be playing the role of PHALANX commander. You guys get to come along for the ride as a soldier, pilot, advisor, anything I can offer. I shall keep you posted with updates about missions, tech breakthroughs and so on to whatever conclusion we reach. However, before we can get going, we need to decide on the location and name for our first base. We can choose anywhere on the globe, but one of these 3 would be the best... feel free to suggest somewhere else though if you want.

Spoiler:  Option 2: Asia (click to show/hide)

In addition to this, we have a research choice to make – do we start with “Alien Origins” to begin evaluating the threat presented to us, or do we go with “Continuous wave laser operation” to investigate the feasibility of direct energy weapons?

So, if you wouldn’t mind voting on location, base name, research topic and signing up for duty please? When signing up please give some suggestion as to what role you would like – Pilot (Fighter or Transport) or Soldier (close combat, assault, explosives or snipers) would be best.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:08:33 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play! UFO:Alien Invasion.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:25:00 am »

Ah, this's gonna be good.
Location-wise: Option 3, since that's what I always put my base when I play this and it serves me well. Kinda.
No clue on the name, though. I suck at naming my bases. :v

Go for lasers as the first research topic. I mean, why is that even a question.

Lastly, gimme a sniper if you'd be so kind.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 04:33:22 am »

Ooh nice.  I tried this game and never really got into it, but I wanted too.  This lets play is my perfect chance to fall in love with it like I should have!

I'd like a role as a scientist, if I could, an assistant to a physicist, my character herself is training as a biologist but does not yet have a degree.  My boss is kind of isolationist and has my character interact with the world so he doesn't usually have to.

Dr. Branth recommends that the base be built in Eastern Europe.  He feels that coverage of as much of the world as possible is essential, even if that coverage has to be marginal for many important areas.  He views a base in Central America to be the poorest of the suggested locations, as this would leave far too much of the population undefended, and far too much of the defended area open ocean.

Dr. Branth cannot stress enough the vital importance of furthering Continuous wave laser operation research with all haste.  It would be a reprehensible waste at this crucial time to study Alien Origins for the purpose of evaluating the threat that is posed by this menace.  They are a menace.  They have brought war to this world.  Their history can be studied later, when we again face peace.  The only responsible action open at this time is to protect our world and ourselves.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:43:51 am »

Imp, I can rename a scientist after you, but this does mean that they dont get to do all that much other than sit in a lab, though feel free to RP it up at every opportunity. :)
This is a blank sig.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:55:48 am »

RP is fine with me; I kinda envisioned my actual character as this virtual assistant to a (maybe not even coded in, so also virtual) scientist.

It's safer that way; I can't end up MIA if I never actually existed, unless the pop center where I supposedly am gets torched or something.  ;D
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 06:59:56 am »

Add me as as a Riflermann.

Also I'll say option 2 for Base.
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02:08 am »

Option 2 please!

I would love to be a fighter pilot.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02:54 am »

Option 2, Close Combat soldier named Bruce Bonzer, from Australia. And Alien Origins.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:09:46 am »

I'm for option three...

And I shall be a sniper (if one is available)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:29:10 am »

Tiruin to be changed at thier request to an assault soldier.
This is a blank sig.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:03 am »

Option 2.

If Tiruin changed, could I be a pilot if there is one? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the game.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:14 am »

Of course. I assume you wanna be pilot of a fighter, not the transport :)
This is a blank sig.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 07:55:50 am »

Of course. I assume you wanna be pilot of a fighter, not the transport :)
Yes please, more chance of death and excitement that way. But mostly death. RP'll probably follow after I do stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to be called Jesse James, for cheesiness and deliciousness.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:00:35 am by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 10:16:00 am »

Option 3.
Honker Bonker, gimmie a machine gun or grenade launcher or a rocket launcher or a flamethrower.
BTW why isn't Cyprus in the EU?  :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:39:48 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play! UFO:Alien Invasion - Game Start.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:26:57 am »

21st March, 2084

When I signed up, I never dreamed that things could get this bad... Aliens, attacking Earth. Lucky old me gets to lead our first, last and only chance at a fight back. If I am leading humanity in a losing fight, I sure as hell am determined to go down swinging.

After careful consideration I have requested our base be situated in Eastern Turkey. Our duty is to protect humanity, and the greatest concentration of people live in and around the Mediterranean Sea. This choice does leave the coastal regions of North America and Australia very vulnerable, but it is a risk I have no choice but to make. I have also ordered the construction of a secure storage facility for any UFO’s we successfully recover, and 2 SAM sites  to provide us with some kind of defensive capability.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

The base itself is quite impressive – built to the design of PHALANX back from the 1950’s but updated with the best the UN can provide where possible.

Spoiler: Base (click to show/hide)

We have the ability to launch 2 interceptors and a single troop transport, 2 small workshops for on-site small scale engineering work, housing for all personnel, a state of the art radar and command and control centre, an on-site reactor for power, 2 small but state of the art labs, a world class emergency medical facility, basic storage units and an untried and untested alien storage unit. Should the base be attacked, the layout will funnel enemies from the only access in the northern side towards more defensible positions in the southern half of the base.

The UN has really spared no expense with equipment either. They have provided us with the best that Earth has to offer in terms of weapons and other gear - I shall save you the boring technical details until necessary. Despite this, the performance of our weapons against extraterrestrial beings can currently only be guessed at, of course, but the best we can do is the best we can do. If what we have on hand is not up to the job, then the human race is in trouble.

I have instructed our labs to focus on Continuous Wave Laser Operation. This project is based on documents from the original PHALANX project that are now almost 100 years old, and has the potential to allow us to produce Lasers for use as a vehicle weapon or in an anti aircraft role. We will need every edge we can get if we are to hold our own in this war.

Spoiler: Dr Branth (click to show/hide)

Dr Branth, who leads the lab team, is a brilliant but flawed mind, and is distanced from the real world in the fullest sense of the word. Dr Branth can cope with no direct human contact, and instead deals with myself through an assistant.

We are currently in possession of one Stiletto class short range interceptor, piloted by Jesse James, call sign “Spaghetti-7”.

Spoiler: Jesse James (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stiletto Interceptor (click to show/hide)

This is a quite formidable craft capable of stunning feats of speed and agility though with a severely limited operational range, and I have ordered the immediate requisition and arming up of a second. Both will be armed with rotary cannons and air-to-air missiles, armoured and fitted with the best EM warfare gear we can supply.  Our troop transport is a military modification of a cargo craft occasionally used for search and rescue operations, and should provide us with the ability to dispatch a small squad to nearly anywhere on the surface of the Earth. Unfortunately its impressive range is countered by its lack of speed and vulnerability in the air – this craft will be kept well away from air combat.

17 soldiers and 3 are stationed on base (along with 20 scientists and 20 engineers), and all are volunteers from the world’s security services. They are supposed to be the best of the best, but until they face live combat against the aliens I shall reserve judgement. Standard soldier kit assignment is for a primary weapon, a flash-bang and smoke grenade,  night vision goggles, full combat armour, a combat knife, and if the soldiers carrying capacity allows for it a med pack, a secondary weapon and/or grenades. Worthy of note are the following promising recruits:

So, now we wait for the Aliens to pay us a visit.

Spoiler: In Hospital (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Fallen... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:04:36 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13