Yes.
- 2 (100%)
Yes.
- 0 (0%)
Also Yes.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead: Back 4 More [Highway to Hell: Chapter 4/5] [Normal]  (Read 71489 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

Welcome to “Left 4 Dead: Back 4 More” a board game version of the classic zombie shooting title “Left 4 Dead”. As far as I know there is no official board game so I’m making my own rules and you can consider this very much a beta test. Please be vocal with all suggestions and criticism. As this is in early beta changes can be made at any time. Players will be informed prior to changes taking place.

Survivors
Each player must fill out the following sheet in order to be considered for the game. The players will be together for an entire campaign so it’s important to try to flesh out who you are.
Spoiler: Survivor Sheet (click to show/hide)

Each survivor functions identically in combat and as such the majority of the above is simply for flavor.

The limit of players on the survivor team is anywhere between one and eight. More players allows for more firepower but also makes zombies spawn at an increased rate and, at certain thresholds, increases the difficulty outright.

Weaponry and Items
Without a weapon you would be hard pressed to get very far at all as they are your primary offensive means. Items are also very important as they augment your arsenal for a wider variety of situations than pure offense. Picking up an item or weapon removes the previous occupant of that slot from your inventory and replaces it with the new one.

All weapons follow this template:
Spoiler: Weapon Template (click to show/hide)

Primary Weapons
Primary weapons are powerful but have a drawback of needing to reload every few uses. Furthermore they have an “Ammo Count” that needs to be replenished.

Spoiler: Ak-47 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Auto Shotgun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Compound Bow (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Flamethrower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Grenade Launcher (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hunting Rifle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heavy Machine Gun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: M16 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pump Shotgun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sawn-Off Shotgun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SMG (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sniper Rifle (click to show/hide)

Secondary Weapons
These weapons are weaker than primary weapons but never need to be reloaded and some can even be used while incapacitated.

Spoiler: Chainsaw (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dual Pistols (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Melee Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pistol (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Revolver (click to show/hide)

Backpack
Backpack items provide a powerful bonus to the team. All of these items are one use only and disappear afterwards.

Spoiler: Bile Ammo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Defibrillator (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Explosive Ammo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Health Kit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heavy Ammo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Incendiary Ammo (click to show/hide)

Throwable
These one use items are auxiliary weapons that can provide a number of interesting effects but are almost always offensive.

Spoiler: Bile Jar (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: C4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Grenade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Molotov (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pipe Bomb (click to show/hide)

Pocket
This one use items are essentially secondary back-pack items. They tend to provide lesser effects that will fade over time.

Spoiler: Adrenaline Shot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Binoculars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bullet Proof Vest (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pain Pills (click to show/hide)

The Infected
The Infected are the enemy and the main obstacle to your survival. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Alone they are weak. Together they will likely give you a hard time.

Spoiler: Infected Template (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: CEDA Zombie (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Common Infected (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fallen Survivor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Psychopath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Riot Infected (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Boomer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Charger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Hunter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Jockey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Smoker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Spitter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Tank (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Witch (click to show/hide)

Misc

Death
If a player is incapacitated 3 times without being healed or if they are not picked up after being incapacitated quickly enough then the player’s character is dead. They may take no actions nor may they influence the game in any way. But is this the end of your adventure? If even one survivor remains than it doesn’t have to be. Defibrillators are a powerful item for this very reason as they can bring a dead survivor back to life without waiting. If all survivors have died then they restart the level at the previous safe-room with all equipment they had in that safe-room.

Incapacitation
When a player reaches 0 health they are incapacitated. While incapacitated you cannot use most of your weapons or any of your items. While incapacitated you lose 20 health per Survivor Turn plus any damage that infected do to you. Furthermore you only have 2 action point neither of which can be used to move. If you reach -300 damage you are killed and drop all items in your possession within 1d3 squares for each item. If you are picked up while incapacitated you receive 30 temporary hit-points.

Pinned
When you are pinned by a special infected you continuously take damage per Survivor Tick and have 0 Action Points even if you are rescued from the pin on that turn.

Temporary Health
Temporary health depletes by 1 every Survivor Tick [-5 per Survivor Turn]. Temporary health cannot be used to take you above 100 health. If you have Temporary and permanent health than damage depletes your permanent health first.

Areas and Events of interest

Car Alarms are a dangerous hazard. If one is activated [via being shot by a stray bullet, being hit by a throwable, or even by having a survivor make contact] it will trigger one of three crescendo event: Either a small horde will attack, a tank may spawn nearby, or a crazed survivor group will attack. It is best to exercise a lot of caution when one of these is nearby.

Closets will be found every so often where a dead character might just be found barricaded inside. If one of the surviving players opens the door the dead character is brought back with a single pistol and 50 health.

Rescue Vehicle mark the end of the campaign. After a finale is completed an uber-horde will spawn. At the same time a rescue vehicle will arrive and open its doors for the survivors. Once all non-incapacitated survivors are inside the vehicle the campaign is completed and you win. If you are downed inside the Rescue Vehicle you still win. All who are left behind are considered dead and therefore lose.

Safe Rooms mark the beginning and end of each chapter. Each one holds four health kits, Two-three weapon stacks, and three Backpack/Pocket/Throwable items. As an added bonus most infected cannot destroy safe room doors so they are as they are advertise: Safe. Even better all dead survivors will respawn inside of a safe room after a chapter is completed with 50 health and a pistol.

Stray Bullet If an accuracy roll is below ½ of the necessary number the bullet instead retargets the first unit within the Line of Fire [a straight line heading from the shooter to the target] and rerolls the accuracy roll with that unit as the target.

Crescendo Events
These are event that ramp the difficulty up for an undefined amount of time. They are placed in order to kick up the amount of action. Some of these allow you to decide when to trigger them while others occur randomly.

Finale: Finales are ramped up versions of a Survival Section or a Gauntlet section. Both involve two large hordes, two tanks, and an uber-horde. The large hordes and tank sections are randomly assigned an order to occur in.

Gauntlet Section: During this crescendo event the survivors must reach a predetermined point and use an Action Point to press a button that will end the event. This event will continue forever otherwise.

Horde: During a horde a large amount of common infected spawn and attack the players regardless of where they are located. These can occur randomly, during a finale, during a Survival section, during a gauntlet section, or during a car alarm. Horde’s can appear in several sizes: Small [30], Medium [50], Large [100], or Uber [Unlimited]. These numbers are, of course, rough estimates. Most hordes comprise of waves that also come in various sizes Small [10], Medium [20], Large [30], or Uber [40]

Survival Section: During this crescendo event the survivors must survive for a random amount of time. Afterwards the crescendo ends.

Tank Attack: During a tank attack a single tank spawn and does its best to kill the survivors. These can occur randomly, during a finale, or during a car alarm.

Uber-Horde: Occurring only at the end of a finale the Uber-horde comprises of a Never Ending Large horde and two tanks at the same time.

Difficulty
Difficulty is just that. It influences how difficult it is to win the game. Difficulty increases Infected Spawn Rates, Infected Damage, Infected Health, Ammo frequency, Item Frequency, and friendly fire damage.

Spoiler: Easy Mode (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Normal Mode (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Advanced Mode (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Expert Mode (click to show/hide)

Rules continued in the next post.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:15:21 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: Back 4 More
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:42:08 pm »

How to Play
Goal: The goal of this game is to move from Safe Room to safe room until you reach true safety with the rescue vehicle. In your way there is an entire army of infected.

Survivor Turn vs Survivor Tick: A Survivor Turn ends when each survivor has used all of their Action Points. A Survivor Tick refers to the part of a Survivor Turn where the Survivors are using their action points. Each Action Point used takes one Survivor Tick. A Survivor Turn always comprises of 5 Survivor Ticks even if a Survivor doesn’t use all of their Action Points. This is similar to the Infected Turn vs Infected Tick.

Action Points: Each survivor has 5 action points with which they can do any of the following actions:
  • Covering Fire – Using this ability ends your characters turn. Your character will fire once at the first valid target that stops moving within your weapons max range. If another player has already killed your target you roll a d20. If the number you roll is greater than or equal to [6+Squares away from target] you will not fire at the corpse. If you fail this roll you will not take any more shots.
  • Crouch – For the rest of this turn you may no longer move. However you are immune to friendly fire [excluding damage from the Explosive skill  and you gain a +2 bonus to accuracy rolls.
  • Drag Injured - If you are in the same space as an incapacitated team-mate you can move both yourself AND them at a rate of 2 squares per action point. You can only do this if you are able of moving 2 squares per action point yourself.
  • Fire A Weapon – Attacks a target with a selected weapon. See Weapons for more details.
  • Move – Moves your character to a new square. The distance you can move is based on your current health. See Survivors for more details.
  • Open/Close Doors – Doors can be opened/closed by spending an action point. This allows you to pass through them and stops them from blocking your line of sight. Safe Room doors do not block your sight.
  • Overwatch – Using this ability ends your characters turn. Your character will fire once at all enemies when they finish moving within your chosen weapons max range. If another player has already killed your target you roll a d20. If the number you roll is greater than or equal to [6+Squares away from target] you will not fire at the corpse.
  • Pick up Items – By spending an action point while next to an item or piece of equipment you can use it.
  • Revive Teammates – By standing next to a team-mate who has been incapacitated you can bring them out of the incapacitated status with 30 temporary health points. This takes 3 action points. You cannot take this action on a team-mate who has been attacked by a Tank or Witch last turn and the infected in question is still alive.
  • Shove – Forcibly moves all enemy units in the target square back two spaces. Shoving rescues survivors from the pinned status unless the target infected has the Unshovable skill.
  • Trade - You can spend an action point to swap an item of yours with another player's similar item. Dual pistols are treated as having two single pistols for this action. You  must be adjacent to the team-mate you plan on trading with.
  • Use an Item – Uses an item and creates whatever effect is applicable. See Items for more details.

Survivors

Spoiler: Marks/Ranger Cado (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ali/WhitiusOpus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Damon/Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jeffrey Mason/Kashyyk (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:57:54 pm by Nerjin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chapter Select
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:43:06 pm »

Spoiler: Highway to Hell (click to show/hide)
Chapter 1: The Office
Campaign Start, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11, Part 12, Part 13, Part 14, Part 15, Part 16, Part 17, Part 18, Part 19, Part 20, Part 21, Part 22, Part 23, Part 24, Part 25,Chapter End

Chapter 2: The Garage
Coming soon to a theater near you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:51:43 pm by Nerjin »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:43:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

done
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:14:45 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:45:01 pm »

Quote from: Scapheap
one moe

Is there an issue or is that a reserved?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:52:03 pm »

Quote from: Scapheap
one moe

Is there an issue or is that a reserved?
Reserved thing because I can never get close enough for my spellchecker.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 04:08:42 pm »

As long as its not too high maintenance, i'm in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:14:20 pm by RangerCado »
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »

Well that's the point of this beta test [which is what it is]. It shouldn't be too high maintanence though considering it's just "Choose up to 5 actions to take." and stuff.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 04:22:07 pm »

Name: Ugly Jim
Physical Appearance: A huge, muscle-bound brute, Jim has a face not even a mother could love. Tiny, bloodshot eyes glare out from a lumpy, scarred face. The huge, mishapen nose was clearly broken multiple times and set badly. His hair is brown and shaved short. Jim wears a cheap suit that hangs on his huge frame, looking ridiculous.
Personality: Jim is a really, really nice guy. He worked hard and earnestly in an office, when he slowly earned their respect and like. He spent his spare time working in a charity shop and a soup kitchen, helping the less fortunate get back on their feet. Shy and self-concious, he thinks everyone should be nicer to each other.
Backround: When the infection hit his city proper, he was taking a long walk, upset at horrible comments from a group of teenagers. While he was walking, he walked in the outbreak without realising. Through sheer chance, he walked through without notice, until he found a discarded pistol. Planning to get rid of the thing (it would be dangerous to leave lying about), he looked artound properly, and saw what was going on around him. Frightened, he ran through the city streets, until he ran into the other survivors.
Preferred Difficulty: Advanced.
Color and Symbol:A red U.

Health: 100
Action Points: 5
Movement: 3 per Action Point above 40 Health. 2 Per action point above 15 health. 1 Per action Point below 15 health.
Primary Weapon: None
Secondary Weapon: Pistol
Backpack Slot: Health Kit
Throwable: None
Pocket: None
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »

Done my app. Is it okay?

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:28:17 pm »

A bash I shall give. I will point out that the M16 seems a little pointless to me, ESPECIALLY if you have dual pistols. for 10 less damage on double shot, you're actually more accurate at extreme ranges.
Also, 50 damage on double shot for the m16 makes it very difficult to be effective or even compete with any shotguns except for picking off enemies at further ranges, but even then.
Not sure how to balance it in my head, and it wasn't just the M16, but the ak and the smg fall into that as well. Twas my first read though, so I may have missed something.

Name: Ali
Physical Appearance: An slim and attractive 21 year old female. Her chestnut brown hair would reach her shoulders if it wasn't in a ponytail. She wears jeans and a white T-shirt. Black Trainers.
Personality: Ali is scared. Terrified. This was not what she expected to happen. She looks out for her friends, and is authorative when NOT in combat. Once the fighting starts, she tends to panic a little and misses the bigger picture to lead.
Backround: Ali grew up wanting to travel. She worked hard in school for her grades, and then learned languages in university to travel as an interpreter and a side teacher. She enjoyed her life, always smiling and enjoying the sunny places. When the infection hit, she was devastated, seeing her students turn, her friends lose contact with her and everything that made her smile is gone.
Preferred Difficulty: Normal. Can always amp it up if it gets too easy...
Color and Symbol: A purple 'A'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health: 100
Action Points: 5
Movement: 3 per Action Point above 40 Health. 2 Per action point above 15 health. 1 Per action Point below 15 health.
Primary Weapon: None
Secondary Weapon: Pistol
Backpack Slot: Health Kit
Throwable: None
Pocket: None
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:15:39 pm by Maxinum McDreich »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 04:37:12 pm »

Looking at it, the sniper rifle gets less accurate as you get further away, and the opposite for the other guns.

Double pistols look like absolute destroyers: 40 damage, never need reload, decent accuracy at all ranges. Pistols themselves seem very powerful. Two pistols makes basically all the rapid-fire weapons obsolete.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 04:40:09 pm »

Alrighty well let's get nerfing then.

So far all the applications are fine and it appears we'll be using: Normal [3] or Advanced [1]

Keep in mind that as a beta the rules are subject to change at any time though I will always inform you first.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 04:54:44 pm »

Changes

Buffs
-Ak-47 now does much more damage per shot. [From 40 to 75]
-M16 now does much more damage per shot. [From 25 to 50]
-SMG now does more damage per shot. [From 15 to 25]

Nerfs
-Pistols, Dual Pistols, and the Revolver now suffer from accuracy falloff. [3/8/13/18 at 1-2/3-4/5-6/7+ squares away instead of 10 at all ranges]

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: Back 4 More [Still Accepting Players]
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:54 pm »

Also please keep in mind that it's easier for me if you use a symbol that can be made with a keyboard. It just fits into the board better.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78