Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Ignorant Fortress Part 2: Minefield (Still accepting New Overseers!)  (Read 17363 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

So I got this really stupid idea (and in DF, nothing is truly a stupid idea unless its already been done, so its "dwarfy" for now) and I came up with a really fun and hilarious way to start a succession fort:

RULES:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What gave me the idea for this? I'll explain:

Imagine what it is like to have no real communication between dwarves? They're always working (if your fortress is running properly), eating or drinking, and you can't have a conversation with a mug of ale going down your throat or a mouth full of plump helmet. And many people who role play succession forts always say they talked with the other overseer before passing it on to them. But in DF, is this the case?

So I decided to start what I would like to call: Ignorant Fortress. The succession fort that you have no idea what is going to happen when you take it over.

Current madme- I mean, players:

green means turn finished
teal means currently their turn
yellow means awaiting the save file or awaiting a response from them
orange means awaiting their turn
red means turn skipped
purple means I have no idea what to call that...

1) highmax28
2) 4maskwolf
3) Exodius

Save Files
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:47:15 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mineforest: A twist in succession fortresses!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:50:16 pm »

Journal of Highmax: Founder of Mineforest
Edit:
(Hit post instead of preview when I started this >_<)
I'm finally here. I set out with my friend Ustuth and his friends and his friend's friends to this place far, far south and I know I can win that bet. Hold an establishment until year 20? I can last that long as long as we can get regular supply lines from the mountain-homes, I told him. He told me even if I don't live to see it, the fortress would gain substantial amounts of wealth and fame if we did so. So, we're here. I'm a simple mason and an engraver, but I know that with hard work comes sustenance.

We agreed to have Cilob Lazdeduk as the expedition leader. After all, who is best in the wilds then one who knows the wild's inhabitants? Only Sibrek, the cook and the brewer, and Cilob's own friend, was unsure of this. Then again, she hates people of authority to begin with.

Cilob got my just unpacking things mostly. The snow is starting to melt, but the iced over water still remains. I really hope no one falls in. Hopefully we can get some things done before snow comes again. Hopefully, that will be months away, but I am unsure in this area. I am not familiar with the surroundings, only that the location is perfect for a fortress to take hold.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:03:36 pm by highmax28 »

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:06:24 pm »

Sounds pretty cool. I am going on vacation very soon, but will be back on Monday, exactly a week from today. May I have the first (second I suppose) turn? I will try my best not to doom the fortress, to make it a shining light for all dwarfkind!

And, if I may make a suggestion, we could make a massive hidden corpse stockpile, that allows only goblin and megabeast corpses, so that the next overseer could "discover" the remains of fallen enemies, and thus gain some understanding of the current level of threat.

Also, I'm assuming that your not allowed to leave notes?

Hmmm... I just did some quick math, and at the speed my computer runs df, I could play to the 20 year goal in my single week if I played 12 hours a day...

LETS DO THIS!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:03:05 pm by ShadowHammer »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:17:17 pm »

Sounds pretty cool. I am going on vacation very soon, but will be back on Monday, exactly a week from today. May I have the first (second I suppose) turn? I will try my best not to doom the fortress, to make it a shining light for a dwarfkind!

And, if I may make a suggestion, we could make a massive hidden corpse stockpile, that allows only goblin and megabeast corpses, so that the next overseer could "discover" the remains of fallen enemies, and thus gain some understanding of the current level of threat.

Also, I'm assuming that your not allowed to leave notes?

Hmmm... I just did some quick math, and at the speed my computer runs df, I could play to the 20 year goal in my single week if I played 12 hours a day...

LETS DO THIS!
(I like that. I also forgot to add a part of the rule that we leave sundays for file transferring. regardless...)

Cilob ordered me to build a trade depot today, although we're not expecting anyone anytime soon. He pointed me towards a large opening and I built it there. Then he ordered me to MOVE everything we had INTO the hole. And we just had it in a nice pile outside!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:41 pm »

I just got word from Cilob that I am to make a mason's workshop and with it, many objects needed to sustain our outpost and make it a home. I was also assigned in some smoothing duty at the same time. Other then that, a lot of dumping and moving the stockpile orders that I'm too busy to do.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:43 pm »

A group of migrants apparently arrived. I saw a few new faces as they came by and started clearing the rocks around my work area. Hopefully my smoothed walls and floors will look better without all this clutter. Also I'm watching as some of the workers place beds nearby and doors. Cilob said that I now have a bedroom, which is wonderful, cause now I can stop sleeping on this smoothed floor (as soft as if is, its still not comfy to sleep on). I still got that order to do at the mason's workshop, but that can happen after I'm finished up with the smoothing.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:17:08 pm »

We ran out of booze today, I found this out when I went to go get something to drink and I couldn't find any. Cilob explains that everything will be alright in a couple of hours. Well, I don't have hours for my break, I just want some booze!

*sigh* I guess its back to smoothing stone for me then... I hope I can finish this up soon and work on that order, Cilob said it was kind of urgent...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 11:27:09 pm »

Some more migrants have arrived. I finally finished that order. I decided to take a break from smoothing and complete that. My work area is clean of clutter and my smoothing job can be done a lot quicker. But after this, Cilob said there is more smoothing jobs for me to do... What a bother. We also slaughtered our horse, we really needed the meat. Also, booze is back on the menu thankfully, now I don't have to run all the way to the icy cold river where I'm getting chased by badgers as everyone else is.

Edit:
Water just froze over and badgers are chasing migrants... Into our outpost... Yay?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:30:15 pm by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 11:48:39 pm »

Had to wall off some way leading to the outside. It had lots of frozen water and there was mud everywhere. The mud also smelled horrible, but it must've been from the water. I also did some more smoothing (wow this is taking a long time) and I also heard our sheep getting harassed by some badgers, but they left them alone thankfully.

Also, a caravan has arrived. Hopefully, the king didn't cheap out on me with this...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 12:09:24 am »

A ranger by the name of Rakust made an artifact toy larch axe. Its pretty amusing how its got an image of itself on itself. I also got two new workers to help me smooth off this area and the next area. Hopefully, we'll be done quickly; I still got another order to do!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 01:07:12 am »

I heard that the traders had left; I mostly figured that out when I saw the empty depot. I also finally finished that first smoothing job, now its off to the next... Wait, I got HOW MANY smoothing jobs waiting for me!? 6!? Oh boy... This is going to get messy... at least they told me its all cleaned out for me.

After I finished that second room with the two new guys, I went to walk out and Cilob just pointed back at the room and said "you're not done, start engraving images". I finally got to do some creativity. I made one really good one, and the other two did ok on their detailing jobs. A child also created a bone spear with the image of cut gems and a certain dwarf that I can't remember why he was remembered. Regardless, I started working on that order again and the order forms seemed to be piled up, especially with the migrants that came in. More people means more jobs are needed, so hopefully those two will deal with the last five smoothing jobs as I dig through the forms and see whats needed.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 01:38:01 am »

An elven caravan has arrived, and I work seems to be good from what I see, but I hear that more jobs are needed in order to keep the outpost running smoothly. I have heard that now that there a few stockpile changes, but I'm still busy with the smoothing that I can't take part of it. A lot of people are complaining about not having plump helmet spawn because we're not going through as much plump helmets as they are pulling out of the ground, so they sit there and shout out to everyone over and over that there are no more plump helmet spawn. I say just do your job without alerting to the world that you're missing something to finish your task.

Elven caravan left, I heard their gear was useless though, so we kinda lost out on that trade. I hope that when the next caravan arrives, we get some longland beer, I heard that was some good stuff, but they didn't have it this time around.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:29:47 am »

A perfect indigo tourmaline (artifact) was made today, it looks pretty menacing with its spikes. Also, three smoothing jobs are finished thus far, and another wave of migrants have arrived. So far, nothing really exciting happening as far as I can tell.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 11:08:10 am »

A human trade caravan has arrived, and also I was told to build bridges, but I don't know what for. All I know is when I finished one, an angry dwarf came across from the other side and yelled at me before leaving to go talk to Cilob. Oh boy, do I pity him right now. On the bright side, I finished smoothing another room,  so that's four area jobs down.

Caravan left and I'm just finishing up on one last bit of smoothing... And then Cilob comes around and says to engrave another few areas. Wonderful...

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 11:25:47 am »

I did not finish reading the rules yet, nor I managed to Figure out exactly how the time limit works. Is it like that one fortress where you have infinite ingame time and 24h limitation? Either way please sign me up for a turn.

EDIT: Ok i read the rules and i think i understand them. One more thing that is not included, You said communication outside the game is forbidden but what about Notes? Most people say that there is a note scribbled in place where Dwarves can see it and with reading skill implemented it makes sense. So can we use Notes, Use them only if our dwarf has at least dabbling Reader skill or never at all?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:34:16 am by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16