Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sir, You Are Being Hunted - Tweedpunk Survival Sandbox, RELEASED  (Read 5829 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I can't believe this game hasn't gotten any attention from Bay12, it's right up our alley.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is an open-world sandbox survival game that sees you stranded in Bizarro Great Britain, a cluster of five islands (currently just rural, fens, and mountains, but an industrial district and a giant castle are in the works), all procedurally generated, and procedurally generated very well.  Between the dismal landscape, constant rain, and random arrangement of roads and villages with no coherent planning, you'll feel like you're really in rural England!

If you hope to get back to your dimension in time for tea, you'll have to collect all the pieces of the malfunctioning device that sent you here and bring them to a circle of standing stones.  They're scattered across all five islands.  Worse, with Bizarro Britain comes Bizarro Britons.  The islands are inhabited by a landed gentry of sharply dressed robots who have decided to make a sport of hunting you down and murdering you.

That's the gist of the game.  You have somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 macguffins to find and, being an open world sandbox, you can go about finding them in any way you see fit.  There's a simple food mechanic that forces you to keep moving, and the robot inhabitants are conducting an increasingly sophisticated manhunt to find you.  Chilling out and sipping tea while they look out for you at first, eventually they bring out searchlight balloons, robot bloodhounds, giant systematic sweeps of the farmlands, it gets pretty intense.  Oh, and if they find the Macguffins before you do they'll set up perimeter defenses, knowing you'll eventually come to them.

It's pretty challenging, a lot of fun, and despite the silliness of fancy robots hunting you, it can get pretty scary at points.  Minus the tweed, the idea of being hunted down for no reason by an alien intelligence pushes some deeply-seated buttons, and when you add in the bleakness of the environment and the complete lack of safe havens, you've got a recipe for some good horror.

The game's out on Steam early access for 20 bucks.  Does anybody have it yet?  Any interesting stories to share?  I don't have much yet, but I'm on the lookout for exciting stuff.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:37:51 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sir, You Are Being Hunted - Tweedpunk Survival Sandbox in Alpha
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:24:39 am »

Pair of bots lurking near a macguffin bit. I got a pistol with twelve bullets and an axe. Drop one with pistol fire, wound the other enough to make him run away.  Instead of going after the Macguffin, I give chase with my axe, catching up with the slippery git fairly quickly. He keeps backpeddling away as I rush closer and closer, bloody vengeance on my *BLAM*

Turns out they can run and shoot! Ow!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:53:49 am by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:34 am »

I pre-ordered a while ago but haven't played yet because of the derp with Humble and Steam keys. Looks really good though! I too was shocked at the lack of thread; I'd make my own but I suck at making good first posts.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:01:24 am »

This game looks awesome, I wish I could afford it right now.
It almost looks like DayZ mixed with Mann v. Machine from TF2.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:57 am »

I've had my KS alpha access for a while, and it's turning into a good piece of high entertainment value. It's got the paranoia and atmosphere of DayZ, just without annoying humans and with british humor. Douglas Adams would have loved this game. Still got rough edges though, and the macguffin-fetching is tedious.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:58 am »

Yeah, I watched a couple of LPs after hearing that it was out on Early Access and you can tell there are really tense moments, but mostly it's... walking.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:55 am »

I've been playing this, quite entertaining, though my FPS skills are pretty abysmal.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »

PTW, because this game interests me greatly. Thinking of buying it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 03:34:05 pm »

I'd certainly recommend giving it a spin. The feeling the first time you get one-up and thwack a robotic pursuer with your axe is something truly dramatic, moreso when you then lose the advantage and run for your life as his buddies give chase, their hounds barking and their shotgun fire peppering the ground around you as you vault fences and hedgerows.
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:59 pm »

Oh, this looks good. I believe I'll have to buy it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:06:02 am »

I've almost completed the first island.  I've got one more macguffin to find.

Here's a tip, guys!  Draw a map.  I'm serious.  Get some paper, send your mind back to the days of Dungeon Master, and draw a map.  It doesn't have to be good, but having some kind of idea of the lay of the land will be a huge asset when you're down to one or two macguffins.  The uniform terrain and lack of a pattern to development makes the islands very disorienting, towns and fields blend together and it's easy to find yourself going in circles.

Mysteries!

Spoiler: The letters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The wisps (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The thrum (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:05:48 am »

About the letters, I
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:36 am »

I'm relatively sure the "thrum" you described is from the balloon. I've literally only ever heard it when that bastard was hovering nearby.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:25:34 am »

PTW, this looks really cool. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 06:27:42 am »

If I wasn't living hand to mouth, I'd be all over this like you wouldn't believe. I've been following the development on and off and man

-Procedural generation game
-Procedural generation STEALTH game
-BRITISH procedural generation stealth game
-British procedural generation stealth game with ROBOTS IN TWEED

This game hit buttons I didn't know I had.
Pages: [1] 2 3