Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Revenge of Athra Kashtuc  (Read 811 times)

christopher1006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Revenge of Athra Kashtuc
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:14 am »

Athra was the son of a mildly famous adventurer who was the son of a slightly more famous adventurer.  When Athra's father suddenly died after being mauled by a herd of Reindeer lead by a Donkey, he knew that justice must be done upon the animal kingdom. The question though, was how? As Athra contemplated his plight, he was walking along a dirt road and spotted a cat. Remembering the stories of olde about the terrible overpopulation of these feline beasts in fortresses, Athra decided that he should start with this pathetic waste of cuteness.  Drawing a just polished iron sword, Athra raised his blade in high in above his head, sunlight glinting along the fine edges of the blade. He swung down to the joyous screech of the furball's last breath.  Feeling better about himself, he turned around to find a Guinea fowl blocking his path.  Turning to his left, a cat and to his right another cat.  All around him, they swarmed as if in defiance of him. Athra broke down laughing at the thought so he didn't see the cat charge to try and knock him off his feet. Nor did he see the Guinea fowl try to bite a man where no man should be bitten.

At that, Athra was very aware and very much in pain. The pain turned to rage though and the knowledge that the Kingdom of Animals had brought forth their champions for revenge. Half closing his eyes, he swung his sword forward to take off the leg of the Guinea. He turned and turned, slashing and stabbing, methodically putting each animal out of his misery until *thwack*. Athra dodged just in time to see the iron arrow fly past his cheek.  Looking in astonishment, his friend, some longbowman who he had met at a hut, was fighting for the animals! Charging, Athra brought the bowman down and snapped his right arm, swinging the deadly blade to remove the bowman's other hand.  He turned and continued on his path of slaughter through the horde of kittens and cats and Guinea, now using his teeth to rip their throats from their soon to be carcasses.  Finally, it was over.

He looked around at his surroundings to see what had been wrought. The word was red, Nature's fallen champions lay strewn before him as trophies to the might of Civilization.  Sighing in contempt , Athra bent down to begin a long day of looting for a long night of food and blood fresh off the tooth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The story about the Reindeer and the Donkey is completely true.  I decided that I was going to practice wrestling a Reindeer, forgetting that they usually have a herd at least of immediate family. After the Donkey kicked my poor characters head in, I found the strange sight of cats and Guinea fowl wandering amongst each other and so proceeded to get revenge on significantly more helpless animals.  That bowman was a guy I had recruited 10 minutes earlier, I didn't realize that people were so defensive about random animals.  Dwarf Fortress, land of the Fun!