Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you destroy slabs and books?  (Read 2361 times)

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you destroy slabs and books?
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:52:16 pm »

I find myself interested in hunting down every necromancer in the world, slaying them, and confiscating the slabs and books carrying their dark secrets so I can have them all to myself to rid the world of their evil. How would I go about destroying the items afterwards, though?

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: How do you destroy slabs and books?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:30:12 pm »

A couple of ideas come to mind (bear in mind, these are untested and I also have no quick way of testing them):
  • Find a volcano, throw them in.
  • Build a fortress with an atom-smasher, then use it as an adventurer.
Not sure about the second one, but it sounds plausible anyway.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:56 pm »

The volcano would be quite cinematic, but is there a simpler method for the books? Necromancers love to write a ton of those...I don't think I can just burn them in the campfire (though that ought to be a possible interaction!).

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:46:19 pm »

Unfortunately books and slabs are artifacts, so they cannot be destroyed, even if they are just a necromancer's essay on a book about another book.

Lighting them on fire may be possible, but (I)nteracting with a campfire will not heat it up enough to burn, I believe. You will have to actually drop the book onto a fire, but this won't actually destroy it, it will only cause it to burn indefinitely.

A volcano will work for all intents and purposes, as there will be no way to obtain the book again with out some dwarvern trick, and most items that fall onto a semi-molten rock tile are destroyed instantly.

Edit: The wiki has no mention of whether an atom smasher can destroy artifacts, but I don't see why not. It wouldn't take long to start a fort, build a bridge and link it to a lever, then abandon it and (u)se the lever with extreme prejudice.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:52:39 pm by BlackFlyme »

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:01:49 pm »

Edit: The wiki has no mention of whether an atom smasher can destroy artifacts, but I don't see why not.

This requires science. I shall make dinner, and then science this.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »

Results are in. Atom smashing destroys the thing itself. It's still visible in the stocks menu, but you lose the "zoom" option, and it no longer physically exists.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »

Results are in. Atom smashing destroys the thing itself. It's still visible in the stocks menu, but you lose the "zoom" option, and it no longer physically exists.

Does the creator get an unhappy thought?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:10:05 am »

I would think so, given that the game accounts for the disappearance.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »

Tell me, how does an atomsmashed artifact appear on the "artifacts" screen? I remember once embarking on a necromancer's tower using the embark-anywhere utility to find that a slab was listed but marked as (lost). Legends mode described it as having been lost in [location], and it was nowhere to be seen. Does the same thing happen here?
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 04:47:49 pm »

Does the creator get an unhappy thought?

No, because the creator's head will have sailed off in an arc by then. :p Or that's the plan, anyway. I hope that book burning will be implemented eventually, but for now I'll stick to finding a nice volcano! If that fails, I'll just put them in a chest and dump it in the sea...I believe they got rid of one of the Rings of Power that way.

Edit: wait, so what if I found myself one of those fancy HFS structures? Could I go down there and toss them into the pits?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:49:07 pm by Crinkles »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 06:02:48 pm »

Wait, so what if I found myself one of those fancy HFS structures? Could I go down there and toss them into the pits?

The only way I can see that failing would be if it landed on the other side of the pit when thrown. Ensure its destruction; leap into the pit while carrying it :P.

Edit: Assuming you can deal with the underground wildlife, the circus tent "inhabitants", and the clowns, go for it. Hell, you'll even find an interesting little "toy" down there for you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:05:43 pm by BlackFlyme »

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »

Wait, so what if I found myself one of those fancy HFS structures? Could I go down there and toss them into the pits?
Ensure its destruction; leap into the pit while carrying it :P.

Now that would be a proper Greek tragedy! After killing all necromancers, I realize the only necromancer left to kill is myself. XD