Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to make new caravan wagons.  (Read 1696 times)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make new caravan wagons.
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:36:06 pm »

In my current game the dwarves come in just as the humans leave and the wagons collide. It's getting annoying cleaning up after them. Even when the humans pull in they pile up head to tail and take an age to enter the depot. When the humans hit head to head with the dwarves, they are stuck permanently. The thought occurred to me to mod the damned wagons so they wont pile up on each other and in the process end the scuttling and map pollution (fps death) too.

I went into the raw files, found creature_equipment.txt and changed it's body to WAGON2 then went into body_default.txt and added a wagon2 entry there for it. I removed all the body parts (BP) thinking it would solve the problem. No such luck. The wagons move at lightning speed however so that was a nice bonus but they are still large 3x3 blocks and will still collide with each other.

I need an entirely new wagon or some way to fix the current wagons so they will not collide. I had hoped to make them a single tile in size to solve the collision issues but I couldn't find where that was. I'm a rookie to modding so maybe you guys can point me to the right files?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make new caravan wagons.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:30:03 pm »

Wagons are hardcoded. They're always 3x3.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:25:59 am »

hallway width isn't hardcoded  :P

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:29 am »

My depot is walled in behind a 3-wide trench. The bridge is 5-wide and the depot is placed in the northwest corner with the bridge on the west side. The dwarves came in from the northeast and pathed along the north edge of my fort. When they turn south they met the humans who were leaving. The humans are trying to exit out of the north edge of the map. To the west is a huge area of open space. No trees, no boulders, just a lot of rock salt ground and grasses. The tree line is 15 to 20 tiles west. That is as wide a hallway as it gets and they will not path around each other. In open space. They collide and get stuck. With nothing to block them turning off to the side.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:57 am »

Just make the hallway 2 wide and wagons stop coming, it really reduces the amount of junk they try to sell you also.  Pity it reduces the amount of garbage you get them to take away though.
I've started to consider playing without a depot altogether. I'm sure I can get rid of all my garbage and work with whats producible locally.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:06:05 am »

The solution seems clear to me!

Give wagons dragonbreath.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 03:33:03 pm »

My sides. Oh dear lord they're gone.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 04:15:53 pm »

My sides. Oh dear lord they're gone.
Allways glad to be of service  :P
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:08 am »

Its actually not that silly. I made several wagon-copies, calling them cart, supply wagon, carriage and so on, for more variety. I am not quite sure how to restrict each one to each civ, but you could do some kind of siege-engine that way.

Elven caravan brings a Ranger-Wagon, that has an interaction to shoot arrows, silly things like that. So the trader scuttles along to your depot, while the wagon shoots at every enemy in range. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:11 am »

You say "silly"??

That's brilliant! Think about it. Elven tanks... out of wood... shooting arrows and crap! And we could go another step forward: steel-wagon for dwarves and humans. The only thing needs to be figured out is  how to make wagons drop the personnel, along with fire/mist/smoke when destroyed.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:05:06 pm »

I just want to point out that elven tanks would shoot wooden shells. I don't know why but that makes me smile a little.

They just did it again to me. Humans left just as the last dwarven wagon was pulling in. One damned space more and he would have been in but no, the lousy humans had to roll him over. I'm starting to think the humans hate the dwarves and that's why they always destroy their caravans. Wish I could disable human wagons. Or something. I'm going to give the double depot thing a try but for now I'm just closing the wide side of the airlock so the human wagons will pass on. They never bring you steel or anything in dwarf size so they are pretty useless for trade outside of food and booze. Humans are getting almost as bad as elves.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:14:14 pm »

You can disable humans caravans...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 01:53:36 am »

Ok, that definitely works. Wagons use interactions.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 06:01:55 am »

Ok, that definitely works. Wagons use interactions.

wow just wow.
to bad there is no way of assigning different kinds of wagons to different races then you could give the legion a battle wagon 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 11:28:51 pm »

Oh, there is, but so far I have to run the script manually. I just need a way to run it automatically once you load the map, then it would work. Steam-punk battlewagons for gnomes, archer-wagons for elves, that would work.

Only exception is the wagon you embark with, because it counts as a building, not a creature.
Pages: [1] 2