Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Allied Hit-Squads AKA Hire mercenaries to fight of ambushes/sieges  (Read 3323 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Allied Hit-Squads AKA Hire mercenaries to fight of ambushes/sieges
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 01:12:48 pm »

Dukea, we think alike in the regard. I might introduce "caravans by request only" as an optional setting, by default...  On? Off? I dont know. On the one hand, I personally do like On more, but it will of course confuse people that just start the game, dont read the manual/changelog, and then wonder why no caravans come.

I'd call this a success. :)

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 01:37:30 pm »

So. How does one ensure these entities survive worldgen?  I sill rarely see automatons, though I tend to create very savage heavy worlds.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 01:49:03 pm »

They should have no problem whatsoever surviving. after all, every civ member is either a buffed up legionnaire or mage, with 10-15 points in all combat skills. Its probably more a question if they dont kill other civs in worldgen.

Automatons are broken in the regard, they die of very easily. I never figured out why.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:08 pm »

A shame. I like them conceptually. Would makin them prefer badlands or desert biomes help keep them away from other civs to have a better shot?  Not sure many civs tend to hang around there.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 02:36:54 pm »

I'm all in favor of having no caravans arrive automatically, definitely on by default in my opinion. Makes the first year a fight for survival and considerably increases difficulty of embarks as you can't really count on outside help until your fortress is stable. Of course this might not be possible as i don't know if the first caravan is hardcoded. I vaguely remember it showing up when parent civ was dead just like the first two migrant waves.

One of the original seven might have to be a skilled herbalist or hunter to ensure survival or maybe you bring along a couple more animals for meat and eggs because you're on your own until you can send for a trading caravan.

This should also open up some interesting storytelling options like playing a non trading fort without those caravans showing up to ruin the immersion. I can imagine the lone mountain outpost that is too isolated for wagons or a failed mining expedition trapped inside by a cave in or even a bandit fortress that lives off of raiding other civs and ocasionally trades with likeminded races.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 02:43:28 pm »

I dont know why Automatons die out easily. Maybe deserts help, maybe they dont.

The first caravan does NOT arrive, if I dont want it to. :)

Currently spawning a caravan is done in the embassy, a cheap building that only costs blocks, and the reactions themselves cost 1000-5000 gold coins, depending on the type. A caravan is 2000 gold coins. If you get that first year, you should have no problems. If you have no gold you can exchange money at the tavern, copper for silver, silver for gold. so 8000 copper or 4000 silver would also be enough.

Any other ideas for prices of diplomacy? I currently only charge some coins. Thats it.

Merchant Stalls require a "trade licence" first, which MUST be traded from a normal caravan. I only did this to ensure that isolated players wont magically build merchants, without having outside access. They are also quite expensive, with ~4000 dwarf bucks each.

EDIT: New profession sprites are done. They look better now. :)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 04:18:34 pm »

Maybe paper and ink to actually write up the contract? I just can't see a savvy mercenary showing up to fight for you without a binding agreement that they'll be rewarded properly.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »

I like it. Paper and Ink. Makes sense.

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 08:33:39 am »

Haha good to see i gave you some ideas Meph! And i knew i can spawn entire friendly sieges! Anyway i hope you dont mind if i steal i mean copy i mean consult your raws for some directions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 09:16:05 am »

What? How do you spawn friendly sieges? That would be a lot more useful then just friendly caravans.

Raws are not released yet, you might have to wait 1-2 days for that.

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 11:39:23 am »

What? How do you spawn friendly sieges? That would be a lot more useful then just friendly caravans.

Raws are not released yet, you might have to wait 1-2 days for that.
Oh nvm i missread your words my bad.
Pages: 1 [2]