Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doing Some !!SCIENCE!! With Arena-adventure mode.  (Read 2193 times)

Dragoon_103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doing Some !!SCIENCE!! With Arena-adventure mode.
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:35:16 pm »

Hello i have been doing some science with the arena mode in dwarf fortress. when you create a unit go into adventure mode and sleep for any amount of time, you go to a cool flat map that not very large, has some water in spots here and there, and some weird flashing block thing on the floor every once in a awhile. the flashing block thing seems to be, i think, a gliched "every" item/thing in the game. the reason why i think this is cause you can pick the item up. but every split turn the item changes, like first you go "G"ear to pick it up and lets say its STEEL, then you git Esc then "G"ear again it will be something completly diff like, Toxic ButterCheese. i even was able to pick up a Flash of Blinding Light, then it turnd to dust in my hands an a big cloud of blinding light (yeah i know...) poofed around me. it also seems that some items are poisonus or have syndromes attached to them, and my poor little testing kobold turnd into a giant marble-bronze Mega-Golem... and the poison items have killed plenty of my testers.

this world or region is also completly devoid of all life except some top grass on rock, and the entire place is flat and is made of a type of rock.

using dfhack i make my tester give birth to children and i am now wondering if there would be a way to save this map and load it up in true adventure mode, because the only menu options i have are Abort. i cant save nor die from starvation.

i think this is a little cool thing i found but other people most likely have also found this, but i guess if any one you guys want to try this and post what you find out in this world that would be really cool.

i guess lets shar our findings in this!

P.S. If you dont know how to get into the Arena-Adventure World then you need Dfhack, or The LazyNewbpack and load up an arena game then spawn a create, assume control, Press z, then type in: mode set : without the Colen into the dfhack console, then press 1 and enter. then just sleep or fast travel. (warning this also has a high crash rate when doing this)

EDIT: it seems that all the items you can pick up from the glitched tiles when you drop them are Pile of [insert name]. i havent found a way to actualy put a use to this Pile of stuff but if you have some thing called explosion or of that like then if you though it it blows up. metal acts like metal when your holding it and walking because you will aperntly start freezing and freezing to dether, but no death will come of this

Poison Kills you if it turns to gas when you pick it up
drinking toxic stuff does not seem to have instant effects actually no effects what soever
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:12:07 pm by Dragoon_103 »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doing Some !!SCIENCE!! With Arena-adventure mode.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:58:24 pm »

Wow. I must admit, I this was a hoax unil I realised that I'd never tested DFHack's mode set command in arena mode and curiosity overtook me. A quick test proves this to be true; upon reloading the map you will find yourself in a flat hill biome with a couple of murky pools and flashing ' and ` tiles (reminiscent of grass on fire) which seem to cycle between all the different materials defined in the raws. However I would like to point out that some of the materials mentioned, along with their respective syndromes, are most likely due to mods-for example, I seem to remember Masterwork including the "flash of blinding light" material to make reactions more lively. Also interesting is the fact that the whole map is made up of only 2 z-levels; the ground's level and the one under it, without any above.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:56 pm »

the grass area is just the surface of the original arena , which is several feet under ground, and to the north. if you reveal the area and look down a 100 Z levels.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dragoon_103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:51:48 pm »

well... i guess thats intersting. so its actually always there? but if its underground why is it all bright and you can see the sunlight?

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 07:13:18 pm »

I think he's saying that the original arena is underground to the north, although I haven't tested that. I'll go do that...
EDIT: This does not seem to be the case. It's just 1 z-level of stone under the entire place.
In addition, when I tested it, after switching back to arena mode, creatures spawned mid-air do not fall, and are not displayed when the 'look' cursor is on them (in the list).
And, finally, you can get to this location by doing anything that will unload the local map, such as traveling (might be the only other thing, though...).
Also, when you pick up a random material from a glitch tile, you can continue to pick up more random materials.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:24:43 pm by Lost in Nowhere »
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 02:39:35 am »

this is what I'm talking about, the grassy patch of land is directly above the arena which it self takes only a small chuck of the grassland. this was tested on meph's arena which is large enough for the arena to overlap. Being able to see sunlight is due to outside occupancy tiles was used to simulate so that it won't end up being pitch dark. that and most of the sky above is unloaded tiles
"body swapping and YOU!"

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 02:32:32 pm »

Well done! You discovered paradise.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 05:36:14 pm »

Is DFHack needed for this? Sleep isn't available when you take control of a creature in the Arena...
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Atomicdoom

• Bay Watcher
  • Stand back! I got this. *DEAD*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:53:58 pm »

Is DFHack needed for this? Sleep isn't available when you take control of a creature in the Arena...

Yep. You need to set your mode to adventure and sleep..And i guess you just wake up in a wonderful gliched paradise

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:18:25 pm »

I just switch to adventure mode and revealed the area, no sleeping required. it's possible with Advtools to build a stairway to the ceiling then dig through.
"body swapping and YOU!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:38 am »

Rapidly changing rocks are one of the typical symptomes of duped raws. Interesting find.
Duped raws generally also have whips as digging implements and FB civs. Just throwing that out here.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.