Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Battle Cries?  (Read 12279 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Battle Cries?
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »

Have you come up with any battlecries that your dwarves might use, in the dwarfish language? Here's what I have, along with explanations (since they don't have words like 'of' or 'for' etc.):

Nazush Nazushnom!
Basically, it's my interpretation of the iconic 'Blood for the Blood God!'. Altough, it literally just says 'Blood Bloodgod'. But it looks kinda plausible if you don't translate it :). I imagine the dwarves would shout this as they descend upon their enemies, all clad in steel and gleaming in the sunlight as they charge from withing their fortress.

Geshud! Etar! Anil Nokor!
A more of a rallying cry, shouted when the fight is uneven or nearly lost. 'For the Fortress, the King, and the Glorious Dead!'

Post what you come up with, bonus points for something related to socks!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Battle Cries?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:42:04 pm »

AAAAAGH! OH SWEET ARMOK, I'M ON FIRE!

If you're doing it right, that's the only dwarven battle cry you'll ever need.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:46:44 pm »

Don't you mean '%&/@£!!! TECAK ARMOK, NING ZIRIL!' ;) ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:37 pm »

Mine are more along the lines of those: (have 20 files like this, dwarves in the mod actually identify their attackers and yell at them)

The dwarf yells: Humans. All talk and no action. I'll give you action!
The dwarf yells: Not so high-and-mighty now, are we?
The dwarf yells: Guns. Cowards..... wait, we can make guns too.
The dwarf yells: Oh, look at me, I'm a human. Prancing around in rose gold, no beard and all, with piss smelling like flowers.
The dwarf yells: We will never be part of your Empire. Sod off!
The dwarf yells: How did you guys even figure out how to make steel? A disgrace.
The dwarf yells: Humans, kill them!
The dwarf yells: These are brave men knocking on our doorstep. I say Lets go out and kill them!
The dwarf yells: Human, I'll chop your legs off, then we can find eye to eye.
The dwarf yells: Your muskets wont help you now!
The dwarf yells: You're not so tough!
The dwarf yells: Who are you calling short?
The dwarf yells: Beer and blood!
The dwarf yells: You will regret the day you left your mothers womb!
The dwarf yells: Taste my axe. Regarldess of me actually wielding an axe or not.
The dwarf yells: By Armoks beard, today is not your day, believe me.
The dwarf yells: You and your tiny bollocks can crawl back into the hole they come from.
The dwarf yells: Losing if fun? FUN? I will show you fun!
The dwarf yells: You will not leave alive.
The dwarf yells: You cheeky bastard, think you can just walk in here. Not today.
The dwarf yells: What do we say to the god of death?
The dwarf yells: Now thats a shady figure. What are you supposed to be?
The dwarf yells: Hey, you! Yeah, you dodgy scamp. Think you can just get away with this?
The dwarf yells: Hey you nutter, come and get some!
The dwarf yells: What an idiot. What a dirty, little, buffle-brained bastard. I gonna shove his poxed weapons up his poxed arse! That twat!
The dwarf yells: Are you gonna cock-up the rest of that little invasion of your's too?
The dwarf yells: Blimey, you are a big fella. Have to chop you up at the knees, do I?
The dwarf yells: I gonna give you one on your bobbin, see how you like that!
The dwarf yells: You cack-handed fool. Watch how a real fighter does it. But be careful, I will only to it once.
The dwarf yells: Stop cocking about and come here, you bastard!
The dwarf yells: Gobshite! Another one!
The dwarf yells: Hey, you wanker. Get over here!
The dwarf yells: Move your arse over here! Or are you afraid of someone half your size?
The dwarf yells: Dont be such a fanny. Afraid, are we?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »

Those would be kinda tricky to translate into dwarfish :D. Have any shorter ones you'd care to 'translate' into dwarfish?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 08:23:25 pm »

If only the dwarf fortress dwarfish was in a state where I could translate "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!" into it I'd go with that, but since it's not the Tolkien version will have to suffice for now :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:33:56 am »

the df dwarvish is gibberish, no way to translate a sentence into it. Only words, mostly nouns and verbs. Thats not enough, and people wont memorize translations anyway. ^^ Better have a "For BOATMURDERED" ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 07:12:58 am »

Many languages lack words like 'of' or 'for' or 'and'. You just have to use your imagination a bit and improvise. I'd imagine that dwarfish is heavily dependent on context.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:49:15 am »

I imagine dwarves to be like the generals in Medieval 2 who have Feck 3 as a trait.

"ARSE PICKERS! PUKESTAINS! CODPIECE FONDLERS, WHORESON MOLLIES AND MALE HARLOTS! BUM SNIFFERS! LUSTING NUN-HOUNDS AND WINKLE SUCKERS! Have I missed out anything concerning these our foes? These rebellious knaves and villains are not fit to breathe the same air as we honest dwarves! They must all die before dawn comes again. This is a mercy, for they richly deserve the gallows for turning against their betters."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 10:40:56 am »

I've always been partial to the idea that my Dwarves don't do battle cries until they're sure they're about to die. Otherwise every battle is just like a normal day, calling out to other Dwarves across the battlements, casually going about their work as the enemy notices that their battle cries are dwindling to only the sound of Dwarven banter.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »

I prefer Tolkien Khuzdul for dwarvish battle cries.
As in my sig:
Baruk Armok! Urist ai-mênu!
(Axes of Armok! The Urist are upon you!)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:25:03 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »

Yeah, Tolkien really nailed it with that language IMO. Making the DF dwarfish more flexible would be a cool fan project, starting with coming up with proper nouns and leading different forms for the words already present. As far as I can tell, there aren't many rules, other than that words tend to end in similar ways. There's a pattern of having the last three letters of a word consonant-vowel-consonant. It would also seem that -th- is a popular syllable, and that most words are nicely balanced, without any 'abrupt' endings (if that makes any sense?). So there'd be a lot of work there.

Altough, dwarfish could easily pass as a language if it only had proper means to refer to things. Different forms aren't required for anything, as all conversations are highly context-dependent.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »

It'd be nice for DF to be able to understand more complex languages (although what's there now is good enough for just naming stuff, which coincidentally is all it's used for).

Alas, I imagine being able to do things like create grammars in a generic, language-agnostic way is a whole other project from DF. And naturally, I'm now thinking about such a project.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 06:19:12 pm »

Personally, I'm a big enough fan of DF to actually want to learn and speak dwarfish :D. I'll just randomly open up a conversation with my friend and he'll think I'm kinda retarded. And also I'd speak with my monitor when I'm playing. Would get my head checked but I'm too busy making icicles.

Roostre

• Bay Watcher
  • DF addict since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »

I played World of Warcraft on a roleplaying server and had a fight-loving dwarf character (surprisingly, a rarity over there; WoW roleplayers mostly pretend to be elf ladies and werewolves). I got an addon for the game that let him automatically spout out one of a list of chat messages when he entered combat or dealt a critical hit, and I could type in whatever I wished. Here's a few I can remember off the top of my head:
  • "Say uncle! Say it, you unconscionable bastard!"
  • "Let's have us a brawl!"
  • "My hammer's in love with your face, and I'm about to throw them a shotgun wedding!"
  • "Outta my way; I'm drunk as hell!"
I admit to paraphrasing a lot of lines I heard elsewhere. <_<
Quote from: Ronnie James Dio
Beware; you've found the answer.
Pages: [1] 2