Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248064 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus
« on: August 23, 2013, 06:38:41 pm »

The Forgotten Art: An Urban and Magical RTD

The weather this Saturday afternoon is rather appropriate for the season – a furious downpour interrupted by occasional bits of extremely loud thunder, not to mention a gale that could strip the flesh from your bones were it not too busy making off with your hat or possibly your umbrella if you have one. All in all, it promises to be a miserable time for everyone except the most hopelessly contrarian people you wouldn’t enjoy talking to anyway.

Still, the outside world, as gloomy as it may be, is not quite our concern presently. Instead, we direct our attentions to a certain building on a particular street in a nonspecific city, which just so happens to be in an unimportant place in space. Despite the normally agreeable and temperate climate actively rebelling against anything that one might construe as fun or engaging, something is indeed happening within the walls of the aforementioned building – the Coleman Community Center. More specifically, within Room 303, where a rather fat, informally dressed and unkempt man sits in a room that can easily be recognized as a former classroom, albeit a slightly redecorated one. For one, there’s a whole bunch of burning candles around, some of them rather aromatic. Secondly, the entire room stinks of cheap incense. Thirdly, there is a prominent red banner draped over a nearby whiteboard that has the words “OBSCURA SEEKER CLUB” embroidered on it rather delicately. The fat man appears to be hardly able to contain his excitement, and checks his watch periodically to make sure that the hour of destiny is indeed approaching.

As the hour approaches, the door opens, and in comes a raincoat-wearing individual, followed eventually by three others. The fat man’s grin widens with each arrival until it seems like he might reach his ears if it were to stretch just a little more. Luckily, no more people seem to be coming, so nobody gets to find out what that might look like, fortunately for their psyche. When the man is confident that no others shall arrive, he addresses those that have assembled.

“Right, everyone! Welcome to the first-ever meeting of the Obscura Seeker Club! Now, I know what you’re thinking – why am I even here? Who is this guy? Well, I’ve got two words for you – magic, baby. That’s what occultism is all about, getting those sweet magicks, right? Here you will- wait. Getting ahead of myself right here, I am. I don’t even know you guys! Luckily, that’s what your club cards are for!”

The assembled people look at him, then at each other perplexedly.

“Oh, goddammit, let me guess – your question right now is ‘what cards?’, right?”

His potential fellow clubmates shrug.

“Sheesh. Well, there’s some over there. Fill ‘em out,” he says peevishly, pointing to a stack of photocopied pages on a nearby desk that one certainly wouldn’t mistake for cards.

Spoiler: The Premise, The Rules (click to show/hide)

Important note: as of March 31, applications are now closed. If I've somehow missed your application from before then, tell me and I'll see if I can put you in.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:48:08 pm by Harry Baldman »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: An Urban and Magical RTD (signups welcome)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:40:55 pm »

The Playerlist
  • Toaster - Larry Malone
  • lawastooshort - Halesey
  • Pancaek - John T. Deschutter
  • Parisbre56 - Henrieta 'Eta' R. Hippo
  • Xantalos - the DUNKER
  • Nunzillor - Samson
  • Jamahawk - Joel Cooper
  • flabort - Roger MacCurren
  • The Froggy Ninja - Charles Suilla
  • wipeout1024 - Tiana Smith

The Waitlist No Longer Exists

Waiting Coolly For Their Masters' Return
  • Dwarmin - Kathryn Jones
  • Errol - Elizabeth Blanc
  • Cheesecake - Willy
  • wolfchild - Henrietta Black
  • darkpaladin109 - Myles Terrell
  • BlitzDungeoneer - The Observer

Missing, Presumed Dead
  • Gamerlord - Samuel Bornhast
  • scapheap - Clair Malk
  • The Froggy Ninja - Dave D. Davidson
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:47:13 pm by Harry Baldman »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:02:15 pm »

1. Why are you here and not someplace else: Because I am intrigued, if this is all showmanship I have wasted a little time, less if I am entertained. If it is true then, well as the song says, "never let a chance go by"
2. What’s your name?: Henrietta Black
3. What color do you identify yourself with? Red but with an orange Highlight like so
4. Describe yourself: I am female, 1 meter and 30 centemeters tall, I am about average in weight for my size. I have Grey eyes and Brown hair
5. What do you like/love/enjoy: I enjoy watching things burn, and a well cooked meal
6. What do you dislike/hate/fear: i Fear being completely alone, with no-one to care about or to care about me.
7. In terms of occult or obscure power and knowledge, who would you like most to resemble (fictional people included): Dannerys Targeryn
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:30:30 pm »

1. Why are you here and not someplace else? Because I want to meet ,investigate and explain occult phenomena and creatures and uncover the mysterious.
2. What’s your name? John T. deschutter, a.k.a Toronto John
3. What color do you identify yourself with? I'm quite partial to teal
4. Describe yourself. I am a fairly tall guy with wirey muscles, brown eyes and brown hair with a short cropped beard. 
5. What do you like/love/enjoy? I enjoy guns, a good mystery and the occasional stiff drink.
6. What do you dislike/hate/fear? I greatly dislike politics and those little packets of ketchup that never open the way you want them to.
7. In terms of occult or obscure power and knowledge, who would you like most to resemble (fictional people included)? I'd say a mix between Garrett from Garrett PI and Karrin murphy from the dresden files.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:26:44 pm »

I've always considered magic in a "modern" environment an interesting setting.

1.  Because the ad promised power and glory, and I seek and deserve both.
2.  Larry Malone the Great.  Or soon to be great, at least.
3.  Purple, the color of royalty, of which I deserve to be.
4.  I may be short and unassuming, but soon I will transform my appearance into that of the gods!
5.  I like power, wealth, glory, and rubbing those into the faces of others, as well as ordering others around.
6.  I hate losing, being weak, being ordered around, and spiders- oh god, the spiders.
7.  Gandalf, as he chucks fireballs and lightning and blows up Sauron singlehandedly with his wicked beard.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:27 am »

Very good. Now, only one more sheet and I'll have the minimum required number of applicants.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:47 am »

THAT SHALL BE ME

1. Why are you here and not someplace else: Academic interest. ...actually, a massive amount of guilty pleasure.
2. What’s your name: Elizabeth Blanc.
3. What color do you identify yourself with: Soothing lime green.
4. Describe yourself: I'm a plain, short woman with long black hair and fancy headphones, college student and part-time bookstore clerk.
5. What do you like/love/enjoy: Books - particularily Fantasy -, the pursuit of knowledge, silence and peace, video games, Melodic Metal.
6. What do you dislike/hate/fear: Egomaniacs, fighting, ignorance, stupidity and the particular smell of ten sweaty nerds in one small room.
7. In terms of occult or obscure power and knowledge, who would you like most to resemble (fictional people included): Patchouli Knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:15:54 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 04:09:36 am »

No!

1. Because then the mean doctors will find me!
2. Mom told me not to tell my name to strangers. But okay! My name's Willy.
3. Ultraviolet.
4. Ooh! I know this, the doctors always talk about this! They call me: delusional, demented, disturbing. Ha ha!
5. I like sharing
6. What do you dislike/hate/fear?
7. I'd mostly resemble Billy. He always talks about these things! He looks, acts, and speaks just like me! You could even say we're one in the same!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:44:57 am »

Ooh, I'd like to if I get time later.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 05:55:16 am »

Ooh, I'd like to if I get time later.

Game starts on August 26th, so you've got plenty of time.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 06:07:25 am »

1. There's worse ways to deal with a breakdown than to find a hobby. I can't sleep very well lately...might as well then find something to occupy my time.
2. Kathryn Jones
3. The color dark blue. I'm partial to dark colors, generally.
4. I'd be too embarrassed to describe myself as anything other than average. I have dark brown hair I keep shoulder-length short, I'm 5.2 and 110 pounds.
5. I am, or was a photographer. I don't consider myself an artist, but I am a professional.
6. I tend to dislike bad weather, certainly. And those who waste my time.
7. Harry Dresden is a character I rather enjoy reading about.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 06:19:47 am »

1. Because it interest me.
2. Clair Malk
3. Orange
4. Red headed woman with blue eyes.
5. I love nature.
6. I fear fire.
7. Morrigan(dragon age) with better morals.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 06:46:10 am »

I find it interesting how everybody filling out the card, when asked "describe yourself", immediately writes out their height, weight and distinguishing physical features, like you're joining the military or something. Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 06:51:37 am »

where else are we gonna say what our characters look like, plus the rest of the card gives personality insight
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:03:05 am »

1. For the free booze.
2. Samuel Bornhast
3. Silver
4. Tall guy with medium length black hair, black eyes, 2.10 metres and approx 95kg.
5. Metal and concrete.
6. Anything natural.
7. Lu-Tze (Discworld History Monk)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:07:17 am by Gamerlord »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 244