Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248833 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1305 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:44 pm »

So she really came from nothing. Interesting. And good to know. And kind of sad. This poor thing has nothing in her life.
I wander up to the lawyer and Eta. "Sup?"
Oh. Great. Eta thought sarcastically. It's that pantless man again. Just what I needed.
"Oh, I'm just helping this poor Lawyer here while I wait for my matches to transform."
Eta turned to the Lawyer..
"Why don't you look on the bright side of things? Lois... Can I call you Lois? Think about it this way: you came from nothing. You have nothing. And in the end you'll have nothing again, just like everyone else in this world. So why don't you try to make the most of the time you have? I can take you to a restaurant or a courthouse. Or maybe a bar, fancy meeting some boys? We can have some fun! What do you say?"

((I (and by extension my character) suddenly feel really bad and somehow responsible about Lois. Kinda like a parent. Can't leave her here all alone when she's feeling so bad.
Reminds me of a sci-fi AI or clone.))
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:07:00 pm by Parisbre56 »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 15, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »

"Mayhaps I can cheer you up."
I cast Become Musical Cookies.
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1307 on: April 16, 2014, 05:24:21 am »

Eta looked at the pantless man. She didn't trust him one bit.
"And how exactly do you plan on doing that?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 16, 2014, 05:38:16 am »

Halesey cannot allow his good friend Larry to fall into the vortex, and resolves to help him along with the help of his fellow mafiosi.

[Halesey's body roll: 5+1]

The mafiosi and Halesey promptly form a branching human chain even as Halesey sprints to save his buddy, a surprisingly complex maneuver for what are ostensibly people not very well-educated in physics, and Halesey manages to reach the desperately resisting Larry even as the latter begins to cast a spell!

[Larry's affinity roll: 6-->4+1]

And at that exact moment, an extendable hat appears on the wizard's hat! It seems to be made of tea, and immediately pours down his body, but it was a reasonable idea at any rate! And it does not matter all that much, since Halesey catches him anyway, and soon the mafiosi have successfully dragged the entire magical lot back to a reasonably safe distance. Quite the close shave right there.

Eta is right in the middle of comforting the individual she seems to have just created when Dave suddenly turns up, still without pants and being nonchalant despite the rather pronounced horripilation he seems to be experiencing.

"Sup?" he asks of Eta and her new friend.

"Oh, I'm just helping this poor Lawyer here while I wait for my matches to transform," Eta says, not very pleased with the way this pantless man seems to have followed her. She then turns back to her rather scuffled (though uninjured), mentally blank friend.

"Why don't you look on the bright side of things? Lois...can I call you Lois? Think about it this way: you came from nothing. You have nothing. And in the end you'll have nothing again, just like everyone else in this world. So why don't you try to make the most of the time you have? I can take you to a restaurant or a courthouse. Or maybe a bar, fancy meeting some boys? We can have some fun! What do you say?" she says, trying to inject some positivity and fun into a somewhat bleak existential state.

"That would be nice, I suppose," Lois begins, stretching out on the ground and rolling on her back, her eyes turned to the sky. "But I don't think I have anything I can really talk to people about. No interests or anything. Just a great big blank. Nothing whatsoever," she then says, her face appropriately expressionless.

Suddenly, Dave has an idea.

"Mayhaps I can cheer you up," he says, and tries out one of his spells.

"And how exactly do you plan on doing that?" Eta asks, but her question goes unanswered as Dave raises his arms and begins to shiver with the magic coursing through his body.

[Dave's affinity roll: 1-->5-1]

It doesn't seem to work, though... only a little tingle spreads through all of his bones. It feels a tad menacing, and when it passes, Dave feels like he may have narrowly avoided something unpleasant.

"I don't think I like anything yet, either," Lois continues, looking at Eta. "Well, except maybe you. I suppose I like you. You seem nice," she says ponderously, then sits up. "If you really want to, I guess I can go to a restaurant. Lying around here seems to not help much."

John definitely agrees that retreat is the soundest of plans right now, and together with Trey begins to follow in Luz's footsteps - however, before they leave, he turns to the ruined mass of methheads amidst the yetis.

"I won't forget your bravery, nameless methheads," he says. Maybe the methheads heard it, wherever they are now. And with that done, he and Trey proceed out - Trey seems quite uninjured in the bone department, although John is fairly certain that he will have a whole lot of scars after this. They run out into the hallway, and notice that Luz seems to be beckoning them toward the staircase - not one to argue with somebody who's actually been to this school, John follows her, and together they climb the stairs up to what seems like the third floor, making sure to close all doors on the way - the yetis, for their part, don't seem to pursue them particularly aggressively.

"Okay, okay, I think... I think we need to get up to the roof," Luz says when they hit the third floor on the stairwell, out of breath and in a horrendous amount of pain from the looks of it.

"Why?" Trey asks peevishly.

"The leyline's there. I-I can sense it now," she replies shakily. "We can't turn back now. Joanie's going to straight-up... murder us, you know, if we don't get ourselves some power."

"I think we're gonna die if we try to go for it now," Trey says, supporting himself against a wall, leaving a bloody Trey-print on it in the process.

"No, no," Luz says. "It's the only way we're not gonna die, Trey. We've gotten this far. No turning back, Trey. We turn back, we're so dead. You get it? Dead," she says, eyes growing wild as the idea seems to overtake her.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 16, 2014, 07:19:50 am »

"Well that was sure a gigantic failure. I'ma go get some pants so... bye."
I go to the thrift shop by the school and get some pants.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 16, 2014, 07:29:32 am »

((*claps approvingly at title*))
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 16, 2014, 07:36:44 am »

"Thanks, guys.  Saved my bacon, there.  Let's step back a bit before we keep going, yeah?"

Step back a bit and launch another S-C vortex.  Maybe off to the side this time?

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1312 on: April 16, 2014, 12:37:34 pm »

"Great! Let's go!" Eta said jubilantly, grabbing Lois by her arm and dragging her off in search of an open restaurant. Perhaps she could take her to Chez Ronardo's but she was unsure of whether or not she had enough money on her for it. It was a rather fancy place, after all.

Also, check my matches, I don't suppose they've changed in any way while they were in the matchbox?

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 16, 2014, 12:44:57 pm »

"Relax, kids, none of us are going to die any time soon. Because we...are just too pretty to die. That being said, you're not looking too good, Trey. But, I'll defer to Luz's judgement, let's get to the roof then. Lead the way!"

Follow Trey and Luz to the roof. Read magazine once more!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 16, 2014, 02:16:29 pm »

Also shoot off a vortex - also off to the side a little, after backing off a bit!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 17, 2014, 03:29:37 am »

Having fulfilled his daily chumminess quota, Dave decides that his secondary priority of obtaining some pants should be addressed now, particularly since his ability to entertain people with magic is... unpredictable, to say the least. And so he heads off to look for a thrift shop! He's pretty sure there aren't any in this neighborhood, and so breaks into a jog - after all, no better way to warm yourself than with some movement! And running through the streets of the city with no pants on is quite liberating, if Dave has to be honest. Even a police officer he passes on the way dares not stop him. His journey culminates at the somewhat renowned 'Git Ur Things' thrift shop, located next to the rather picturesque (if slightly more ruined and covered in gore than Dave remembers it) Mills High. Known for working at unusually late hours for those special midnight needs that people get, Dave walks in and instantly feels at home, a whole warehouse of cheap, highly varied things stretching out before him. Having been here before, Dave immediately runs to the pants department, getting a weird look from the cashier on the way.

And within minutes, Dave is there! Pants everywhere, of all sorts and applications, going for two dollars a pair, with a special "buy 2, get 1 free" deal in effect for at least the next hour!

Back at the alley, Eta enacts plans of her own, and coincidentally they seem to involve going somewhere as well. But in this case the endeavor is altogether more selfless.

"Great! Let's go!" she says, grabbing Lois by the arm and going off on a magical restaurant-hunting adventure. In a fit of wisdom she immediately forsakes any thought of finding a place that's open around here - if what she's heard is correct, any place aside from Chez Ronardo's doesn't let anyone in without a reservation, and the maitre d's have taken to carrying guns to enforce that rule. So they wander out of the neighborhood and eventually reach a rather charming-looking cake and tea shop on Raymond Street - it's even got a giant cupcake sign. Eta's heard good things about the place from her friends. And it does look to have quite a few people inside currently, so presumably it'll be a great learning experience for Lois to dine here. They head right in, basking in the slightly retro atmosphere. Few of the people here seem all that young or exciting, but at this hour one has to take what they can get.

Speaking of hours, Eta quickly checks her matches. They seem to be visually unchanged, though they do appear to smell quite different now than they did before - the have a strong scent of cinnamon now, which is quite unexpected, since that's pretty much a diametrically opposed scent to the rather toxic smell her original match had. But it hasn't even been a full hour yet, so who knows what's going on there.

"So, what are we supposed to do now?" Lois asks when the two of them enter through the front door. The place isn't particularly packed, and there seem to be quite a few seats available, some further from company than others. A few eyes in the room, mostly from polite-looking gentlemen who look like law-abiding regulars of the place, turn to them for a few moments, but no longer than would be considered strictly appropriate.

Larry is thankful for the aid provided him - he hasn't done nearly enough cardio, strength exercises or wild magic infusions to make his body ready for another extradimensional journey.

"Thanks, guys.  Saved my bacon, there.  Let's step back a bit before we keep going, yeah?"

The others, Halesey especially, seem to agree, and they all back up more than a few bits before the next wave of vortexes.

[Larry's affinity roll: 6-->6+1]
[Halesey's affinity roll: 2]

And Larry, in a single, highly inspired hand motion, creates an immense vortex of sweaty champignons slightly off to the side of the other ones. The interplay of the vortexes is somewhat fascinating to watch - it's as if the fabric of reality itself is beginning to shiver in the area. If one looks closely, one can almost see the space around the church get hit with dozens of tiny little ripples, as if something was punching the framework of matter in a friendly fashion, or at least poking it with all sorts of instruments.

It's so entrancing, in fact, that Halesey forgets to provide the requisite final vortex entirely, and the next minute or so is filled with a fair bit of nothing, with Larry glancing at his buddy, then deciding that poking him might be an endeavor too dangerous to attempt right now. For all Larry knew, Halesey could explode into potatoes suddenly if someone did that.

John feels he should be the voice of reason and endorse the safest course of action.

"Relax, kids, none of us are going to die any time soon. Because we... are just too pretty to die. That being said, you're not looking too good, Trey. But, I'll defer to Luz's judgement, let's get to the roof then. Lead the way!" he says, and Trey looks doubtful for a moment, but ultimately follows without any audible words on the matter. They head out into the third floor hallway, and carefully look around to check for yetis - none are present, fortunately. Though sounds of battle are audible from the next room - evidently something is happening over there.

"Right, let's stop for a moment and... urk... get new spells, huh?" Luz says, getting out her book. John guesses that's an agreeable proposition, and gets out his magazine, and Trey joins in on the fun as well.

[John's mind roll: 2]

Sadly, though, his fractured arm proves a bit too distracting to give him a very good chance at doing well on a mind-intensive task such as this one. And Trey seems to have a similar problem - only Luz seems to be able to concentrate on anything, paradoxically enough. Moments later, she raises her eyes from her spellbook, looking quite purposeful.

"I got Sabotage Hair. What did you guys get?"

The others manage a slight shrug.

"Doesn't matter. Let's keep going, roof access is not too far off," she says, and leads the others to a reinforced metal door that seems to be very locked as well as highly unlabeled. "Yeah, this is the one. All we gotta do is get past it now," she adds, confirming with a push and a pull that it hasn't been by some stroke of luck left unlocked. "Any ideas aside from... ugh... hitting it with a washing machine wave? I don't really feel like doing that one point-blank."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 17, 2014, 03:31:50 am »

"Er. Wow. Nice vortex, Larry. Let me try again."

Step slightly further back again and BLAST a potato vortex at the centre of the church tower!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1317 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:46 am »

"Well, let's sit down and order I suppose. Then we can find out what you like! It'll be fun!"

Find a table to sit down, not too close to other people so that Lois doesn't get uncomfortable but not so far away that we look like we're hiding and so that we can approach others for conversation should the mood strike us.

Give the following order: "Hello there dear sir/madam. I was just informing my friend here that this establishment sells the most exquisite tea and cakes. Would you be so kind as to bring us two cups of tea and a selection of your finest cupcakes for us to try? My friend just got here from out of town you see, and I'm giving her a small tour of the city and I told her we must absolutely stop by here to try your fine desserts."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:51:17 am by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 17, 2014, 07:25:30 am »

((A 6->7 and no horrible side effects?  What is this world coming to?))

"Get the potato out of your ass and get casting!"

Step a bit more back and a bit more to the side and cast up another S-C Vortex.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 17, 2014, 08:43:11 am »

I buy some suit pants and hammer pants, put on the suit pants and go cheak out the school.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 244