Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248691 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1560 on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:31 am »

Have we got time to do this plan before I do this... dinner? Cos my plan's real quick. And as stupid.

Why don't we meet outside that bar and I'll tell you about it?  Bring a bag.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 14, 2014, 10:39:23 am »

Er... okay. Will be there shortly. Probably 30 minutes.

((I just have to see if I can bust open ATMs with potatoes first...))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 14, 2014, 10:49:35 am »

Fine

Relax a bit, then meet Halesey at the bar.  Bring a bag.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 14, 2014, 02:15:01 pm »

Halesey knows that the power of the potato vortex is sufficient to smite the wicked and perfidious, but can it open up the forbidden confines of the average ATM? Is he permitted to wonder? It does not really matter, as he intends to discover the truth in the best way possible - the empirical way!

[Halesey's affinity roll: 5+1]

The vortex, as bidden by Halesey, appears absolutely perfectly and powerfully, its edge touching the very middle of the machine. The wall around it shakes and cracks, and the machine is pulled straight out, plunging into the vortex laboriously. It doesn't seem to have opened, but it is free of the wall now, rather wonderfully. Halesey ponders what to do for a moment before the machine is promptly hurled out of the vortex by the tubery hands of several potatomen, flying through the air very rapidly and smashing into the wall of a nearby convenience store and leaving a sizable mark in addition to breaking apart, quite a bit of money spilling out of its formerly well-protected mechanical innards, along with an absolutely obscene amount of weird orange stuff that looks a little like what you'd expect robot blood to resemble.

Well, that's a spot of good luck, Halesey thinks before getting a very promising message from his partner in glorious magical shenanigans. After arranging a meeting, he wonders how much time he has left before a contingent of burly, heavily armed men arrives and attempts to sodomize any suspicious characters into submission with their loaded firearms.

Eta, now that the subject's been opened up, tries to explain to Lois why someone might be uncomfortable sleeping in the same bed as a dear friend of theirs.

"Well, some people don't like it. Maybe they like to have the bed to themselves or maybe the other snores or has uneasy sleep or maybe they're just... I don't know. Uncomfortable, perhaps. I guess there are lots of reasons. All depend on the people and the bed, I suppose," she says, sitting down on the bed on the side next to the alarm clock. "If you think I'm disturbing your sleep. just tell me and I'll relocate to the couch."

"Oh. I haven't actually slept before, so I guess I can't really say if I'm good to sleep with," Lois says, shrugging. "I should be okay, though, right? Sleeping can't be that difficult to do, right?"

Eta guesses she agrees, and offers Lois a nightshirt to wear instead of the bathrobe, but she seems to like wearing the robe too much to accept. After setting the alarm for 6:30 AM, something that is sure to be a very easy time to wake up at, given that it seems to be 1:13 AM right now, she lays down and eases on into dreamland, and Lois seems to do the same.

Slightly more than five hours later, the alarm goes off, and Eta finds herself feeling shockingly rested. Must have gotten the rhythm just right. Lois seems to be altogether more drowsy, and not entirely wakeful at this point, seemingly fading back into unconsciousness as soon as Eta turns off the alarm.

Dave, in a fit of unusual luck, seems to have obtained a useful spell! Why would he ever not want to transform into a porcine clown, he wonders, and can't seem to think of any reasons right now, possibly on account of his mildly pickled brain, but also because it's a totally flawless plan, or so his brain tells him.

[Dave's affinity roll: 1-->3-1]

Concentrating for a single moment, Dave gets in touch with the essence of both pig and clown, each of which flows into random body parts of his! His right leg begins to swell and pulse, and he is suddenly overtaken by a splitting headache! Both of them begin to grow abnormally and become incredibly painful within seconds, and about a minute or so of incoherent screaming later, both his head and his leg suddenly explode in a very bloody, painful-looking, yet also somewhat relieving fashion! As the red mist clears, Dave becomes aware of two important facts - his leg is now a relatively small pig, and his head is now a fun-sized clown that appears to be sitting on his shoulders, but in fact is connected to his spine with its elongated, primitive tailbone. Both look very disturbing, though they seem to be fully under his control.

With all this in mind, Dave is rather curious about when something will go right for once, really.

Larry, after giving Halesey a heads-up, chills a bit on his couch, nodding at one of his dude posters in a bro-like fashion before deciding that he had better get over to the dang bar already, and grab a totally inconspicuous duffel bag he's got lying around while he's at it. And so he ventures out, reaching the Golden Noon Mountain within a reasonably short while. Maybe he can try to pick someone up a second time, since he's almost a high roller now. Chicks dig a man who can blast infinite cocaine at them, after all.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: May 14, 2014, 02:35:52 pm »

John leans back on his bike, sighing deeply.

"Right, I suppose this means you want me to get them back, right? I understand that this is something I should do, but you do realize that there is only one of me and two of them? I did start out with two other people, but they just went braindead along the way. So if those kids really don't want to come, they will kill me. Surely you understand that I'm slightly hesitant to go and drag them back?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 14, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »

"Right, I suppose this means you want me to get them back, right? I understand that this is something I should do, but you do realize that there is only one of me and two of them? I did start out with two other people, but they just went braindead along the way. So if those kids really don't want to come, they will kill me. Surely you understand that I'm slightly hesitant to go and drag them back?"

"Dragging them back won't work, son, even I know that. They're equipped and ready to fight something like that. Naw, what they need is something more impressive. Question is, are you ready to help me on this?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 14, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »

"Magic givith and magic takith away.
MOAR SPELLS!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 14, 2014, 03:19:48 pm »

"Dragging them back won't work, son, even I know that. They're equipped and ready to fight something like that. Naw, what they need is something more impressive. Question is, are you ready to help me on this?"
"I feel like I'm somewhat betraying their trust. But yes, I'm with you all the way, mister Lee. I'll do whatever you say."

Maybe things will be allright when someone better than I takes the lead, john thought.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1568 on: May 14, 2014, 03:59:53 pm »

I'd better let her sleep. I can't imagine what it's like to sleep for the first time in... ever.

Get up and prepare a breakfast for me and Lois with the food I brought last night. Try to be quiet.
Put the TV on mute and watch the news for anything distressing like pictures of Eta. Eat while watching.
Then get dressed and leave a note telling Lois that she can eat the breakfast I prepared for her and that I'll be back soon.
Then take the hotel room key and leave the hotel.

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:02:15 pm by Parisbre56 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 14, 2014, 04:07:17 pm »

Equip hood and stuff cash into pockets - but not so much they bulge. Wait, crap, I think I'm wearing a suit now. Well, stuff jacket pockets with non-bulging quantities of notes, and stroll briskly away. Did I bring my bag? Maybe I should stuff cash into it, but with emphasis on getting out of there quick. If I didn't, buy some food at the nearest small shop that could supply said food in a bag. Head to meet Larry.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 14, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »

Getting shot down was not new to Larry, but he had a goal in mind- the ladies could wait until later... this time.  He'd need to keep his eyes open, though.

Scope out the bar population.  Recall if there is a convenient alley or secluded area nearby.  Wait for Halesey.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 15, 2014, 05:17:28 am »

"I feel like I'm somewhat betraying their trust. But yes, I'm with you all the way, mister Lee. I'll do whatever you say."

"They won't thank you for it, but it's for their own good. Meet a friend of mine out by the Git Ur Things next to the school. He'll set you straight on the matter, son."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 15, 2014, 06:02:46 am »

"Right. I'll get there asap. Bye"

John puts away his phone and takes out the spellbook.

"Okay then. Let's load up on some new spells and git going."

Read magical magazine. Then get on my bike and get going to the Git Ur Things

Spoiler: john (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 15, 2014, 01:00:28 pm »

Dave, acknowledging the fact that magic only seems to givith him things so that it may immediately takith them away or fuckith him over with them, once again, tries to get more spells, because he finds it highly unlikely that he'll get out of here without some serious magic happening. Lighting another match, he observes the flame with his clown.

[Dave's mind roll: 4+2]

And once again he tumbles through a massive mindscape, hovering above a vast plain. There is no vegetation as far as the eye can see, and no water is present, either. Dave tries to breathe in, but finds that there is no air. His clown honks its nose sadly, and his pig begins to flip out as it realizes that it can't take in any oxygen. All is dust around Dave, and the atmosphere ripples as he observes it. The world is silent.

Dave looks around, and sees a nearby mountain - there appears to be a cave atop it, and light is emanating from it. With a single thought, Dave finds himself at the entrance, and ventures in despite the pig's attempts to do its own thing. And, once inside, he finds... nothing at all. For some reason, he is struck by a sense of profundity, which slowly begins to fade as he returns to the world of dentures.

Spoiler: Dave's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Eta lets Lois continue her rest - she obviously lacks the necessary mettle to live on five hours of sleep or less like most responsible adults do, and easing her into the cold, harsh reality of everyday life is probably best. After fixing up an improvised breakfast (a process made slightly difficult by the fact that of what she brought here, about three quarters by mass are carrots) for both herself right now and for her friend to eat later, she sits down by the TV and begins to watch some muted news. It takes her a moment to realize that she's still on Channel 97 and that the guy cosplaying as Sam Elliott on what is probably their resident news show doesn't seem to be a big fan of captions or quality pictures, and she promptly changes the channel to something more informative. The national news seem altogether less distressing than feared, and no pictures of Eta seem to be available there. Guess counter-terrorism technology has a ways to go before overnight perpetrator identification and capture.

Eta reflects that it would be funny if a special forces team busted down her door just as she thought that. Fortunately, it appears that life, while funny, does not appear to feel like being an asshole to her this fine morning. It is a bit funny to see the caption "DOWNTOWN DINGO DETONATION SAFELY AVERTED" beneath the vivid image of trucks carefully driving several miniature thylacine pillars down the streets of the city as the sun begins the arduous process of rising.

Ah well, no time to dally! Eta quickly gets dressed, writes Lois a note with instructions about breakfast and information on her absence, then heads out of the hotel. There seems to be a different guy at the reception desk, but he pays Eta no mind as she leaves.

Outside the hotel, the streets are pretty quiet, cold and dark, just as an early bird like Eta likes them.

Halesey quickly scoops up whatever cash he can, somewhat miffed at the way all of it seems to be sprayed with some kind of orange crap, and, after stuffing whatever he reasonably can into his jacket pockets, runs off, quickly popping into a grocery store on the way to the bar and buying some loose onions to get one of those cool reusable bags. Hopefully his buddy will have something promising lined up!

Larry, currently in the process of waiting for his buddy, scopes out the population of the bar, and quickly determines that there is nobody of interest here - bunch of old, drunken farts, that's all. Seems like attendance has bottomed out at this hour, pretty much.

But Larry, savvy fellow that he is, immediately thinks back to the layout of the surrounding neighborhood, and remembers that there are at least three secluded alleys in the area that he could get some action in, or even provide some should the mood strike him. These thoughts keep him occupied until Halesey, all dressed up and with places to go, shows up at the bar, looking a bit tired out, no doubt from all that running he seems to do.

John, after agreeing to a date with Mr. Lee's friend, tries to load up on new spells before his departure.

[John's mind roll: 4+1]

With an atypical sense of urgency, he catches a whole bunch of spheres like nobody's business and quickly makes a selection.

Spoiler: John's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Making his choice, he pedals on back to Mills High, and stops only when he has reached the friendly sight of the Git Ur Things secondhand clothing warehouse, the best friend of fashion-conscious people with absolutely no money since 1989. John wonders where the person he's supposed to meet might be, and whether he knows who John is. He'd assume so - after all, Mr. Lee didn't tell John what this person looked like or anything. Outside the store in the rather sparsely populated parking lot there appears to be a man in a suit checking out a closed hot dog stand, a middle-aged lady messing around with her car engine, a muscular, shirtless man covered in tattoos sitting on a bench and relaxing, and a fellow in a laborer's shade playing a koto right next to the entrance.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 15, 2014, 02:03:32 pm »

"Er hey dude. Hang on a second. Urgent bathroom visit required..."

Head to the bathroom, lock myself in a cubicle, and check all the cash to see if any of it is orange-fluid free. Exit bathroom, leaving orange stained cash on a toilet seat.

"So, er, I could do with a drink, but I don't really have any spare cash on me. My stupid plan was... pretty stupid, I guess. So what's your plan?"
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 244