Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248892 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2715 on: August 26, 2014, 05:18:08 pm »

"Okay then." said Eta to Ivette as she turned around so that her back was turned to the police officers. "If what my experiments have shown me is correct, then this will take about a minute. You're going to face a challenge. Hard, stressful one, probably." She searched her purse until she found her magic matchbox and removed a match. "Might even hear a voice in your head. So, try to relax, get ready and when I strike the match, look into its flames. Tell me when you're ready."

"Well, I-wait, what's he doing?" Ivette asks, looking at THE DUNKER, who seems to be performing a round of enigmatic wizardry on a donut while the others watch.

Indeed.

~Will anything happen, or...?~

Try the donut gesture thing out. Make an enigmatic face.

You wiggle your fingers and make a few twitching, arthritic gestures at one of your donuts - the change, if there indeed is one, is not very obvious, but you've put on your mystic face and your crazy eyes, which seems to work just as well, as everyone seems to look your way as you do it.

"Huh. Whatever you're trying to do, it looks kind of interesting," Joanie says.

"It's not going to explode, is it?"

"If it is, I hope it's a fun explosion."

~It's not going to explode, in case you're wondering. Just feed it to someone who doesn't have magic, like the interested woman. Tell her it'll make it work without dependence on other people's resources, hopefully. I wanna see how well it works on her. It should be perfect for her, I think, but you never know.~

"Uh, I know this is gonna sound silly, but are you making some kind of wizard donut?" Ivette asks of you, snapping you out of the consideration of the pastry in your hand. You dare say donuts look a bit tastier when you've nearly slipped into a trance trying to magic them up.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: August 26, 2014, 06:03:54 pm »

A donut-addicted wizard, to be more accurate. Want it? It should give you magic without dependence on the resources we have to use. It shouldn't explode.

Subtly shift behind someone if she accepts. Can't be too careful.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2717 on: August 26, 2014, 06:15:48 pm »

"That sounds interesting. How did you do it?"

((Wonder what would happen if you ate it. Probably not a good idea, but still.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: August 26, 2014, 06:17:35 pm »

A wizard's gotta have some secrets. You understand.

((That's what he'll do if Ivette or whatever the police spy's name is refuses.))
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: August 26, 2014, 06:35:15 pm »

A donut-addicted wizard, to be more accurate. Want it? It should give you magic without dependence on the resources we have to use. It shouldn't explode.

Subtly shift behind someone if she accepts. Can't be too careful.

"Huh," she says, examining the donut. "That's... cool, I guess!"

She is about to take a bite out of it, but then she looks at you, then at the others.

"This isn't some kind of weird prank, like a wizard hazing ritual or something, right?" she asks doubtfully. You shake your head and simultaneously shimmy surreptitiously behind Nigel. He's not a very good form of cover, you discover, considering you're both wider and taller than he is. But you'll probably make a good cushion if he's blasted toward you.

"If it's a hazing ritual, that guy's way more creative than I give him credit for," Joanie says.

"Besides, magic is a hazing ritual in and of itself," Shauna adds, and Joanie laughs, as is her habit. Ivette looks over at Eta, shrugs a little apologetically, then takes a hearty bite out of the donut, chewing it thoroughly, when she suddenly flips. You can see it in her eyes, when she stops chewing and just starts looking into the distance.

"Shit, look at that! She's getting spells! Isn't it cute?"

A moment passes.

"Hm. Do I look as stupid while I'm conferring?" Joanie tilts her head.

"Not as stupid, I guess. You make way sillier faces," Nigel observes, pointing at Ivette, still standing there dumbly.

"Oh, you've seen them, too?" Shauna laughs, and Raven sort of nervously chuckles as well.

"Yeah, well, fuck you, too!" Joanie replies, also laughing, though more out of reflex than camaraderie.

And then Ivette snaps out of it, blinking a few times before swallowing the bite.

"Um. Huh. That happened, I guess," she says confusedly. "Is becoming God for a moment, er, normal? And what's a regular spell supposed to be like?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2720 on: August 26, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »

It worked. Interesting.
"I have no idea. I usually have to find a way to light the darkness and another wizard I talked to actually had to write spells down as people shouted them. As for what spells are normal, I kinda stopped questioning that when I got the spell 'Transform Dinosaur into Intriguing Hat'. After a while, the questions become so many you just focus on answering the important ones. But hey, I've been a wizard for only a day or so, so what do I know?"

Spoiler: Eta (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:59:32 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: August 26, 2014, 06:51:37 pm »

No idea. Was it an adventure of sorts or something? What color was the voice?
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: August 26, 2014, 07:14:11 pm »

"I have no idea. I usually have to find a way to light the darkness and another wizard I talked to actually had to write spells down as people shouted them. As for what spells are normal, I kinda stopped questioning that when I got the spell 'Transform Dinosaur into Intriguing Hat'. After a while, the questions become so many you just focus on answering the important ones. But hey, I've been a wizard for only a day or so, so what do I know?"

"Oh. So they're supposed to be this wonky?"

"You know it!"

"Did you get Goodify?"

"Um, no. Ghostify. Ghostify Mold, whatever that means."

"I got 'Transform Into Indestructible Hamburger', if that helps. And that was, uh, the most useful-sounding one, let's say. I... don't know if it works."

"I can displace tuberculosis and summon racist potatoes. The second one works, and that's all I'll say about the matter."

No idea. Was it an adventure of sorts or something? What color was the voice?

"I got a... grayish vibe from it? I don't know what that means, I guess, but I'd say grayish. And yeah, I suppose it was an adventure as well. Kind of fun, I guess. Does it work again?" she asks, then takes another bite immediately, her eyes rolling into the back of her head within moments. And you would say the donut still has a good two more bites left in it, judging from the weak chomping ability and insistence on chewing that Ivette seems to be going for.

"Taking to it like a fish to water! She's not mine, but I'm proud no less!"

"Almost enough to melt even your stone heart."

This episode takes noticeably longer, and she stumbles back a little, looking wide-eyed.

"Okay, it gets crazier. I know that now. Hah. Yeah. Adventure. Voice is definitely grayish, I think. It makes more sense if you try to actively hear the color! Yeah! And in other news, I can apparently now empathize with hookers."

She seems to be trying to power through her confusion with sheer acceptance. Joanie sees fit to intervene in this time of discovery.

"Right, so, that's fun! But let's move on! Anybody got a plan on how to get past that police line?" Joanie asks, pointing at the officers down the street.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: August 26, 2014, 07:18:11 pm »

Well, we could sneak past them, or I could do this.

Cast House of Self-Replicating Dentures on a spot nearby the cops![/b

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: August 27, 2014, 03:28:00 am »

"Kind of meh so far," the man goes, not turning his head your way.

((apologies for being slightly absent))

”What? Are you a mentalist?” Halesey is unsure what to do in the face of such cynici- ah! Of the Three Minor Followers, he is surely The Cynic!

”Why, what’s so meh about it, dude? Do you want to touch my Holy Potato instead? Most people are terrified by the vortex, so I am beginning to wonder if you are touched by the grace of the Potato God – touching my potato would surely show if this is the case. This is not a euphemism, incidentally.”

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:44:26 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: August 27, 2014, 04:20:14 am »

”What? Are you a mentalist?” Halesey is unsure what to do in the face of such cynici- ah! Of the Three Minor Followers, he is surely The Cynic!

”Why, what’s so meh about it, dude? Do you want to touch my Holy Potato instead? Most people are terrified by the vortex, so I am beginning to wonder if you are touched by the grace of the Potato God – touching my potato would surely show if this is the case. This is not a euphemism, incidentally.”

"Eh. Give it here, I guess."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2726 on: August 27, 2014, 05:23:41 am »

Take a few steps away from the wizard. Watch what he does. Be ready to move, either away from him or past the police, depending on the success of his action.
I don't want to be trapped in another pit.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: August 27, 2014, 05:26:54 am »

”Are you Canadian or something? Er, anyway, as far as I recall – which is pretty far, actually, but not very clear – the Three Holy Potatoes are in my chest, and if you are one of the Chosen, the Holy Potato that is best suited to you will leap non-fatally out of my chest and meld with your mind in such a way that you see and feel the Truth. Open your mind and beware!”

With this, Halesey reveals his naked chest!

((I am not 100% sure I have remembered this Potatoing process correctly))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:58 am »

”Are you Canadian or something? Er, anyway, as far as I recall – which is pretty far, actually, but not very clear – the Three Holy Potatoes are in my chest, and if you are one of the Chosen, the Holy Potato that is best suited to you will leap non-fatally out of my chest and meld with your mind in such a way that you see and feel the Truth. Open your mind and beware!”

He looks at you.

"Sort of. And couldn't hurt, I guess."

As you bare your chest to the man, he is nonplussed up until the moment when the filthy, disorderly potato slowly exits it, flesh at first bulging, then parting as the potato gets out, and proceeds toward your soon-to-be apprentice. At this point he raises an eyebrow and calmly snatches the potato out of the air.

"Hm," he says when the potato disappears into his hand. "That feels a little weird, I guess."

He proceeds to stare at his hand for a good minute or so, then looks back at you.

"Eh, I guess that's okay. Is that all?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:32 am »

”Erm, yes, that’s all for now – the Potato God has chosen you, so that’s nice. Would you describe yourself as filthy and disorderly? Just wondering, won’t affect your chosenness. So – you want to come back to Earth and find the other two apprentices now, and then go see the Potato God, or do you want to try and learn some spells first? Oh yes, what’s your name?”
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 244