Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 245497 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2745 on: August 29, 2014, 07:12:44 am »

Halesey stared at the dude. This was not the right kind of barrier. His magic seemed to be getting affected by Nigel's rabid apathy!

"Course I have, friend! Did he not get them yet?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2746 on: August 29, 2014, 07:19:26 am »

"More the castle, I guess. I mean, it looks totally awesome and all, but it's not a regular thing that all of you can do without effort, right?"
"I don't think it takes any effort at all. Sometimes our spells are actually many times more powerful then we intend them to be. That's why we have to understand magic, why we have to use and distribute it responsibly and teach new wizards to do the same. Otherwise we end up with disasters like Dinosaur Rain and... well, whatever happened to this neighbourhood. Because if this keeps happening, we might end up with things like witch hunts, once people realize what's going on, and that would be very... unfortunate."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:21:22 am by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 29, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »

Halesey stared at the dude. This was not the right kind of barrier. His magic seemed to be getting affected by Nigel's rabid apathy!

"Course I have, friend! Did he not get them yet?"

"I suspect you're not being honest here, friend. Where's my money?"

"More the castle, I guess. I mean, it looks totally awesome and all, but it's not a regular thing that all of you can do without effort, right?"
"I don't think it takes any effort at all. Sometimes our spells are actually many times more powerful then we intend them to be. That's why we have to understand magic, why we have to use and distribute it responsibly and teach new wizards to do the same. Otherwise we end up with disasters like Dinosaur Rain and... well, whatever happened to this neighbourhood. Because if this keeps happening, we might end up with things like witch hunts, once people realize what's going on, and that would be very... unfortunate."

Ivette inhales nervously.

"I... see. That is... troubling! Kinda troubling, yeah! So, are we moving on or what?"

"I dunno. Are we done yapping? I wasn't paying attention."

"Can't we just talk on the way? I'm feeling kind of exposed over here."

"Uh, yeah, me, too."

"Me three, I guess."

"Let us go onward! To destiny!"

"How'd you get here, anyway?"

"I followed you, obviously!"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 29, 2014, 04:08:05 pm »

"Darn, this place is pretty shitty. I'm not really looking forward to going in there. Is this really the only way to the leyline?" John asks, pulling out his handkerchief and holding it in front of his mouth and nose

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 29, 2014, 04:14:36 pm »

"Darn, this place is pretty shitty. I'm not really looking forward to going in there. Is this really the only way to the leyline?" John asks, pulling out his handkerchief and holding it in front of his mouth and nose

"Unless you possess a jackhammer, probably!"

"Um, do I have to go in as well?" James asks as he follows you down the ladder, stopping midway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: August 29, 2014, 05:21:20 pm »

Well, enough jibber-jabber, let's go!

Make way through the denture moat! Try not to get stuck.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: August 29, 2014, 05:38:34 pm »

-snip-
"No, James, you don't have to follow me in there. Allright, Menkau, if anything happens you get me out of there. Please. I'm in no mood to die in a goddamned sewer. I'm just going to go take a peek then."

Crawl into the tunnel, try to ignore the filfth as best I can. Use my cellphone as a flashlight if it's too dark. Try and crawl towards the leyline

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2752 on: August 29, 2014, 07:30:30 pm »

Eta made a gesture, pointing the rest of the wizards to Ivette.
"You see? This is what I mean. They're like children." she whispered to Ivette before following the other wizards.

She approached Joanie next.
"So, you said you were working with some other 'master wizards', like Pillton. Is this little expedition related to them in any way?"

Follow.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: August 30, 2014, 01:22:23 pm »

Dave, tired of phrasing things in familiar terms, attempts to expand the image of the moon on another spatial axis - no doubt this is something that is entirely necessary, he thinks. So he wracks his brain, trying to imagine a fourth dimension of space this moon of his may expand into.

Fortunately for him, he's got a fertile imagination! With the image in his mind, Dave begins to invent brand new ways of extending it further still, many pieces of this puzzle of his beginning to fall into place as he considers the problem. He believes he may be reaching a certain level of mental capacity, since it slightly hurts to even think about the image he's got in his mind. All he can do right now is to keep it in place, and try not to think too hard about the implications of it all. If only he had something to jot all this down on. But he is as regrettably without pants or tools as always.

Larry, after banging on the door a few more times, heads over to the hotel's front desk, where the robot-thing still awaits him, looking as silly and directionless in life as ever. Its glassy eyes stare out at him, and Larry feels a pang of sadness for but a moment before he notices that there appears to be no pen or paper anywhere on the front desk, which seems to have a very minimalistic look.

This means, Larry realizes, that he needs to ask this thing before him for either of those things, probably. This is a distasteful avenue of action, and in other circumstances Larry would not ever lower himself to it. But right now, he may have no other choice. He must, to his regret, acknowledge that the creature before him is in some way a person. Humanize it. Find out something about it, rather than just leave without knowing anything at all or caring.

Having had enough of the yammering in plain sight, the group begin to move on, THE DUNKER leading the way as they enter the moat and circle around the castle.

On the way, Eta engages Joanie in some enlightening conversation.

"So, you said you were working with some other 'master wizards', like Pillton. Is this little expedition related to them in any way?"

"Exactamundo! You see, two of them are dead! Murdered! And someone's responsible!"

"Fat guy thought we should go look for who did it."

"And then do, like, justice and whatnot!"

"So... we're going to look for..."

"Suspicious things to bother, investigate and interrogate in the ruins! It is our first and only lead at the moment, since we have no idea about anything!"

"I see! That's good, I guess!"

"We're probably not going to find any-" Shauna begins to say, but the entire group stops in front of what looks like an open manhole. Two people are loitering in front of it - one young man with messy blond hair, and one oddly shrouded, taller individual wearing a wide-brimmed hat.

"Suspicious individuals loitering about in the dead of night," Joanie says in a mysterious voice.

"Next to an open sewer, no less."

John, after telling James that he can freely stay behind if he wants, an opportunity that James thankfully accepts while climbing right out, and asking Menkau to come help him if it seems like he may have drowned in sewage, something that Menkau solemnly promises to do if it occurs to him, descends fully into the terrible depths of the sewers, getting on his hands and knees while keeping his phone above the rather foul water to use as a flashlight. It helps a little bit, though not much, and slightly impedes his progress. Locking in on the leyline, John crawls onward.

[John's body roll: 2]

He crawls forward a bit, but the fact is, the cellphone impedes his crawling progress quite a bit, and the rather thin, nigh-unbreathable air is of no help, either. Feeling like he may be putting himself in danger, John crawls back, climbing a little bit up the ladder, taking several deep breaths.

If he wants to do this, he suspects he'll need to do it blindly, using only his magical sense to get there. Problem is, though, once he gets over to the leyline, how is he going to get out?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: August 30, 2014, 01:29:50 pm »

RELEASE THE SPELL!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: August 30, 2014, 03:38:55 pm »

Hello, admittedly suspicious folk! Seen anything unusual recently?
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2756 on: August 30, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »

"Yes, do you happen to know anything about the destruction of this neighborhood perhaps?"
Eta stepped forward to back up THE DUNKER, trying to look calm and relax.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: August 30, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »

Hello, admittedly suspicious folk! Seen anything unusual recently?

"I did see a rather marvelous house of self-replicating dentures rise above the horizon just minutes before in the direction that you came from. And also one ornery unstoppable beaver when I came over here." the shrouded figure replies. There's something really off about him, you notice. "Have you noticed anything similarly amazing? Unusual things are my bag, actually, and I actively tend to seek them out. Hence why I'm here, obviously."

"You're pretty wordy, aren't you?"

"Always!"

"Yes, do you happen to know anything about the destruction of this neighborhood perhaps?"
Eta stepped forward to back up THE DUNKER, trying to look calm and relax.

"Oh, sure. It was the work of two teenagers, wizard types like all of you, with a death wish and a great deal of contempt for two people by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Lee, two rather good friends of mine. One of them summoned an invasion of unstoppable beavers that ruined this neighborhood, and then turned into a buffalo and stomped, I believe, both of them to death. It was quite grisly. Most of the collateral damage was quite incidental, but nevertheless pretty distressing for all the poor people living in this area. A sordid affair, all in all. Any other questions?"

Hungry Pete raises his hand.

"Yes?"

"Are you, perchance, the devil?"

"Oh, not at all. Why do you ask?"

Hungry Pete mumbles something and shakes his fist seemingly at himself.

"... would these two teenagers happen to be-"

"Trey and Luz? Why, yes! Would you like to hear what I did to them, mayhap? I'm not one to brag overmuch, but I do believe my solution was pretty clever. So, how about it? Wanna hear it? Come on!"

Shauna seems to have gone a little pale.

"I'm... not sure that I really do, to be honest."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: August 30, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »

Oh please do, it's what we came out here for.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: August 30, 2014, 04:43:22 pm »

Oh please do, it's what we came out here for.

"Okay, see, I'd promised Mrs. Lee that I'd scare those two pesky kids straight, and I did! At least, that's what I thought at first. I even promised to torture them for eternity and rip their humanity from them forcibly through sustained physical and psychological assault over subjective infinities of time. I even gave them a short demonstration! But sadly they, being lovestruck teenagers that they were, did not feel very intimidated by this, as you may be able to tell. And I had no time or inclination to torture them for eternity, to be perfectly honest. Torture is a very distasteful thing to engage in, although there is a certain creative element to it that I can dig, you know? So what I figured out was, I turned Trey into an old woman, Luz into an old man, erased their original personalities and put in new ones that are guaranteed to despise each other - in fact, hard-coded to despise each other - and then put them in the same retirement home in the place of two elderly dementia sufferers that happened to be spitting images of their new forms. On the bright side, I did turn those two original dementia sufferers into perfectly functional young people. You know, do some good with the bad, that kind of thing. So now those two teenage lovebirds get to live out the rest of their lives in a care facility not knowing who they are, under the correct impression that they've forgotten, with families they don't recognize that visit once a year, and they despise each other for reasons they don't comprehend. I think I covered all the important bases in a self-sustaining manner, you see! No additional work needed, everything's delegated to unsuspecting participants, fire-and-forget nature of punishment... isn't it sweet?"

"I... guess it's something, all right," Joanie says, taken aback. Raven and Shauna do not seem to have anything to say, and are instead looking at each other with a bit of horror.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 244