Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256910 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #3150 on: December 03, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »

((Sorry, I used the wrong word. Meant police press releases. Something like this: http://www.worcesterma.gov/wpd-press-releases
Anyway.))

That blog looks interesting. Keep reading, there might be a thing or two I don't know in there.
Maybe there will be a hint about leyline locations or who the mystery person is or from whom they got their magic.
Even if there's nothing new, if those spells are true, I could learn some new effects from them.
And even if that does not work, I could gain some ideas about how to best write my own info and what mistakes to avoid.

Spoiler: Eta (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: December 03, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »

"You mean the fellow with the weird monotone and steadfast refusal to be impressed? For I have seen that initiate very clearly indeed. Hours ago, in fact. Seemed like an agreeable chap, ultimately. Could evolve potatoes, too - very fascinating thing, that. Gave him a blessing and sent him on his way. He'll be doing good work in my name, I assume. Seemed on top of things, generally, though didn't like you much for some reason. Bit too shy for prophecy, methinks. Not too patient, either."

"You might want to tone down the vortex a bit, though. It's unsettling for me to look out into the mortal world like that. Is it really as potato-free as it looks from here?"

"Er, yes, Derek was quite hard to impress. I think he dislikes me a little because I tried to make him impressed by the glory of Potato. I surmise he has not yet entirely reached emotional maturity. And... yes. Sorry. I presume that is my mortal world You can see - I've never looked through myself to see it, and... well... it is quite Potato-free. Most Potatoes there are confined underground, or in plastic bags. I will try to make the mortal world Potatoeyer. Which reminds me of something - how can I get back there to find a third disciple? Because before, I travelled through vortexes. Now I am one. Can I travel through another one? Forgive my humble questioning."

Ask thus, and attempt to tone down the vortex a bit. Also try to look at my folder, concentrating on the theme of Potato.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: December 05, 2014, 08:54:57 am »

"Hmm"

"I don't know, oil lamps seem kind of heavy and not very practical. I don't even know where I'd get one, to be honest. How about one of those fancy boxes of liquor chocolates? The ones made out of metal? And you'd need to eat a chocolate to get acces to the magic. Tasty and relatively easily refillable."

Converse with magic voice some more. Also keep an eye on the waitress, just to make sure she's all right

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 12, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »

Dave, moved by God's approval of getting this mad party up and running in dentureland, lets the power run through him as he prepares his next spell. The power of the gods themselves burns inside his body, begging for release!

[Dave's affinity roll: 1-->1+1]

There's a bit of an issue here, Dave notices as he begins to conjure a massive amazing underwear cyclone to lighten the place up. It escapes him for but a moment what that might be, but then the burning sensation of power input greatly outpacing the respective output. What follows next is a rather bad feeling as underwear begins to stream from his fingers, godly power animating it into tiny tempests to fill the denture skies. He's about to suggest that maybe God should step off a little on the jim-jam, if he knows what he means, but then he notices his skin has begun to glow. And then it suddenly randomizes all over, which feels really tingly for some reason, each bit of muscle, skin and bone flying every which way, transmuting into underwear more heinously gaudy than Dave previously thought possible mid-flight, changing their trajectory violently in the process, carried by the power of Dave's spell and the engine of raw magic that the God of Dentures seems to be, a runaway process that continues for but a few moments before Dave, or at least his previous form, is gone entirely, as is the underwear, having screamed off in the distance without a care in the world, seemingly having no concern for behaving atmospherically as Dave wants them to.

Where Dave was, only one thing remains - well, two things. A pair of floating eyes, for one, or at least that's what Dave can currently see. Then there's Charles, floating around confusedly, looking at the space where his host seemed to be moments ago, seemingly displeased at seemingly being two-legged due to the loss of the hip that made the impairment rather moot.

"Huh. Weird. Sorry, dude. Didn't mean to do that."

If Dave could speak, then perhaps he'd have a few choice words for God.

Larry, waiting for Cal seemingly being his only option, tries to make a little smalltalk to pass the time.

"For angels, they sure do get along well with demons.  You seen any here?"

"Nah. They're segregated pretty fully, which I think is a real shame. I hear they're good people, funny as that sounds," his host says. "Or at least not a bunch of raging assholes, mostly. Maybe a bit weird and dogmatic at times, though. Hence why the angels like to mess with them a lot."

Before he can tell Larry more, however, there is the sound of a vehicle slowly coming to a halt with gravel grinding underneath its tires, which Larry finds more odd when he looks to see that it seems to be Cal's van, currently standing on nothing at all off the edge of a walkway outside.

"What's up, guys? Come on, Larry, time's a wastin'!" the angel says, sounding pretty excited for some reason. "We want to get there before the place freezes over, optimally."

Eta is interested in the secret wisdom of this man or possibly woman (though she wouldn't bet on it) of the Internet. Being a polite reader of blogs, she starts out from the very first post on the subject, titled...

She finds it a little odd that the next installment is posted mere minutes later. As are the rest - all of these seem to have been posted roughly simultaneously, probably been written in advance. Almost all of them were posted yesterday morning.

Eta's about to start reading the next one, but she hears a voice from unsettlingly close by.

"Hey, baby! How's the morning treatin' you?"

Ah yes. That explains the lack of noise and sudden smell of smoke in the room. Hope he doesn't set off the fire alarm.

Halesey, though his mind is cleared of any proper doubt and has been for a while, is still somewhat perplexed, as his rather vortex-like tummy presents quite a problem - namely, what it will feel like if he tries to travel through this same vortex. And though it does feel completely unnatural to do so, he heeds God's request to tone down the whole vortex thing a little, since it's pretty clear he's impressing no one with it thus far. He shrinks it to the point where his head is fully reformed, as are his limbs - his torso, though, is still one gert big vortex, he's pleased to note.

"Er, yes, Derek was quite hard to impress. I think he dislikes me a little because I tried to make him impressed by the glory of Potato. I surmise he has not yet entirely reached emotional maturity. And... yes. Sorry. I presume that is my mortal world You can see - I've never looked through myself to see it, and... well... it is quite Potato-free. Most Potatoes there are confined underground, or in plastic bags. I will try to make the mortal world Potatoeyer. Which reminds me of something - how can I get back there to find a third disciple? Because before, I travelled through vortexes. Now I am one. Can I travel through another one? Forgive my humble questioning."

"A very good question, my prophet. You can, naturally, but it would be more convenient to just use the vortex on your own person - simply dive through it with all of your limbs, that is. It may be a tad difficult if you are not experienced, but I understand that it is like turning a shirt inside-out - strange, and yet completely intuitive. Try it, should you dare."

The voice has not convinced John of the stylistic merits of the oil lamp, and a counterplan of using a fancy box of chocolates to provide magic occurs to him, and his voice can, at best, offer a shrug of acceptance.

~Yeah, that works, if you're into that limited-use thing. It's a bit overwrought, in my opinion, but hey, I admit there's a lot of style points to be had for offering shady candy to innocent neophytes on the street.~

Meanwhile, Tracey the waitress seems to be regaining consciousness, rather rapidly so. She gets up immediately, looking spooked.

"Did I really just pass out and fall on the ground?" she says, looking over at Mr. Pilton.

"It looked kind of like a seizure, actually," Mr. Pilton offers.

"Kitty! That's no way to treat your friends!" she shouts, looking up at the ceiling.

"In his defense, maybe it's better to research magic sitting down," he says.

"I could have gotten a concussion, and then where would I be? Hospitalized and magical, that's where. And that's no way for a person to be, not around these hospitals," she replies, a touch angry. "I'm pretty sure Kitty's a she, too. I think she's a she."

"Anyway, you have any pressing questions, maybe?" Mr. Pilton asks, seemingly starting to get bored of both this situation and Tracey.

"Uh, none I couldn't ask her, I guess. Though she seems to only be able to reply to me in cat sounds. Is that normal?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 12, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »

Then we should set up security and sleep. Pork Queens, please guard us while we do so.

Sleep, with my battalions guarding me!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 12, 2014, 04:48:55 pm »

Larry blinked for a second, then got it.  "Hah, hah, aren't you funny," he said as he got into the van.  "You sound happy to go to Hell."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: December 12, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »

Larry blinked for a second, then got it.  "Hah, hah, aren't you funny," he said as he got into the van.  "You sound happy to go to Hell."

"It's a big change of scenery, Hell," he says as he starts driving off, pausing to shut the door you left partly open. "And there's people there I haven't seen in ages! It's gonna be a blast, I tell you."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 12, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »

"Goodness, I dare! I have complete faith in your power, O Potato!"

Try to return to... Earth, by leaping into myself with my limbs. If it doesn't quite work out, try again! Twice.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 12, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »

"You seem to get along well with demons for an angel."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 13, 2014, 02:58:49 pm »

Yo voice! Got any suggestions or should I just do the thing I did with the clown?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 13, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »

"You seem to get along well with demons for an angel."

"Oh, that's just me keeping a positive mindset. Actually, starting trade relations with demonkind is kind of a crazy idea to even try. But I'm figuring that if it works, you and I are gonna get some mad props from our peers. And if it doesn't, hey, the main perk of being an angel is that you can escape anything!"

Yo voice! Got any suggestions or should I just do the thing I did with the clown?

~Uh, sure! Do that thing you did with the clown! What did you do with the clown?~

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 13, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »

I told it to f**k off with my mind. And it did. And you congratulated me and our bro-bond allowed me to gain spells.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: December 13, 2014, 03:58:57 pm »

I told it to f**k off with my mind. And it did. And you congratulated me and our bro-bond allowed me to gain spells.

~Oh, that. Sure, go right ahead.~

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3163 on: December 13, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »

Speak to the voice? That funny sounding thing? I thought it was something like those little poems on calendars. Mildly related to them but ultimately useless flavour. Guess I'll have to try it out. As well as some other things. Whoever wrote that seems... OK.

"Hey, baby! How's the morning treatin' you?"

Ah yes. That explains the lack of noise and sudden smell of smoke in the room. Hope he doesn't set off the fire alarm.
Ah, him. One of the few people who seem nice and reasonable around here.
Eta smiled a bit, thinking of how bizarre putting the words "nice" and "demon" together is.

"Considering I haven't yet felt the need to curl up in a fetal position and I just discovered I have free magical Wi-Fi, I'd say pretty nice." Eta said as she closed her phone's screen.
She turned around to face Clive, still smiling.
"Shouldn't you give me a call or at least knock first before appearing out of thick smoky air? What if I was naked?" she joked.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 13, 2014, 04:10:11 pm »

"Considering I haven't yet felt the need to curl up in a fetal position and I just discovered I have free magical Wi-Fi, I'd say pretty nice." Eta said as she closed her phone's screen.
She turned around to face Clive, still smiling.
"Shouldn't you give me a call or at least knock first before appearing out of thick smoky air? What if I was naked?" she joked.

"Ah, see, that's what the eye on your hand is for. Checking if you're naked or busy before I interrupt you. Granted, I might interrupt you sometimes even if you're naked, but you can assume it'll be a pretty fucking serious situation if I do, and usually it'll mean you'll have to come along regardless of how much clothes you have on," he explains, trying his best to radiate leathery cheekiness. "Anyway, I need you to do something for me now, as per the rules. We're gonna take a little trip to hell."
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 244