Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 245536 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #3510 on: March 29, 2015, 04:34:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure I don't have enough money to pay what sounds like the debt of a small nation.
"I don't mean to sound judgmental but that sounds like a really bad idea. I mean, really, really, really bad idea. You don't invest money you can't afford to lose. And you can't pay a debt by going further into debt. And you can't pay a debt by not working and hoping something will magically come along and solve all your problems. And you can't endanger your friends to do that. Ugh. Couldn't you get the money from a bank that gave 100 easy payments or something? Or just run away?"
Eta took a second to take a deep breath and compose herself.
"I'm sorry, it's not your fault. I just hate irresponsibility. I mean, to behave like that, it's just... Ugh."
"One final question."
Eta said as she started removing a couple of pairs of golden high heels from her purse of holding and setting them down on the sarcophagus.
"What are your jobs. Oh and have there been any disagreements with the whole 'keep quiet and delay the inevitable' plan and if so, by whom?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #3511 on: March 30, 2015, 03:23:46 pm »

Larry shrugged.  "You seem to know what's up, bro.  Following you this time."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus
« Reply #3512 on: March 31, 2015, 12:36:30 pm »

THE DUNKER believes he ought to be congratulated for an achievement like this. It's not quite every day that one makes a ninefold moat filled with the best guardians a wizard could possibly ask for. Bet the devil himself wouldn't mind being stuck from the waist down at the top circle for all eternity.

"Other fat guy said I had to make the place defensible, I did so. I'm clearly the ultimate person," he narrates as he walks back inside, only to immediately be met by a committee of all the other wizards... well, except Pete and the potato guy. So three fifths of the other wizards, and the good-looking lawyer lady.

"This place is now significantly more defended. I wouldn't recommend going outside... ever though, I'm not sure if the hookers would let you pass," he declares.

"Dude! Stellar work! Saw it from way up top," the other fat guy congratulates him. The approval makes THE DUNKER swell further than ever before. He is the beginning, and he shall be the end as well.

"Yeah, it's a pretty good start," says Jo, nodding approvingly. "There's still the windows, and each floor up to the fourth needs to have some sort of obstacle on it, is that right?"

"That's the short of it, yep. But if all goes as well as this did, heck, we'll be golden in no time. I'll try to landwarp the windows away on the upper floors, maybe you guys can figure something else out in the meantime? Anybody got better ideas?"

"I'll take the third one and do research there. Gotta figure out how to move the staircase," Paul mentions.

"It'll be more efficient if I do it on the second floor," says Jo. "That way you have to go through each level to get up."

"Uh, okay, makes sense."

"And when I'm done with the windows, I can take either the first floor or all floors above fourth. Which do ya want, riverman? Either way a fat guy's gotta go up many flights of stairs." asks the fat guy as the other two come to an agreement.

In the non-land of the potato, Halesey seeks compromise.

"Profligate? Screw you, man. I show you the path to the greatest power, and you call me a profligate? That was only low level gentleman’s literature, dude," he tells Hungry Pete, who seems to not have quite snapped out of whatever he's doing, or at least doing the very same thing as he was before.

"Look, we are servants of the potato now. We should be friends," he says, but realizes that Pete probably can't hear him. Oh well. It's time for more potato, as it were. Looking into the binder, Halesey accesses the potato within!

[Halesey's mind roll: 6-->1+1]

It is beautiful. It is grand. It is infinite and somewhere between gold and brown in color. Inhaling its aroma, Halesey twitches. It smells like a great many things. Light. Earth. Fire. Starch. Linda. Death. The future, still vast, dark, unknown to him. The power of the potato enters him, creating ever-novel combination of conventional spells and itself, bringing the man closer to true mastery of the noblest of all elements.

Snapping out of his momentary bit of research, Halesey addresses God once more.

"God, what is your will?"

"My will? I wish you, my prophet, to create a temple upon a leyline, dedicated to me, so that you and my other disciples may have a place outside of my realm to operate from. Even now they are separate from one another. I think Initiate Nigel floated off someplace, and Initiate Cadwallader has not appeared ever since he last left my sight."

Hungry Pete, for his part, appears to still be in a coma, probably one of his own making.

John, suddenly recalling the language of all civilized gnomes, addresses the vast amounts of nothing important before him.

"Greetings, gnomes and other assorted magical creatures. My name is John, and I bear you no malice. I am merely lost and looking for someone named Charlie to deliver this suitcase to. It isn't much, but I present you this gift of sausage in good will," he says, producing sausage from his pocket and biting a chunk off, then swallowing it to prove there probably isn't any cyanide in it. He places the rest, plus a few other sausages, in a pile on the ground, then takes a reverent step back. A few minutes pass, and John starts to get a little impatient, but then the sausages, all as one, disappear. Moments later, a creature appears.

It is slightly less than a meter tall, and reminds John of a velociraptor, except distinctly featherless, and with a shorter tail. As it looks upon John, it emits two primary things - first, there is a soft radiance coming off its flesh, bathing the surroundings in a pleasant light. It nearly brings a smile to John's face to look upon it, but then the second thing, a horrendous stench resembling that of a rotting corpse, hits his nose and nearly provokes a violent retch.

"I'm Charlie," says the saurian gnome in a vaguely pleased tone. It's clearly had its fill of your offering. "Are you delivering something to me? Why? I didn't order anything."

Eta tries to not sound judgmental.

"I don't mean to sound judgmental," she begins to talk at the shade, "but that sounds like a really bad idea. I mean, really, really, really bad idea. You don't invest money you can't afford to lose. And you can't pay a debt by going further into debt. And you can't pay a debt by not working and hoping something will magically come along and solve all your problems. And you can't endanger your friends to do that. Ugh. Couldn't you get the money from a bank that gave 100 easy payments or something? Or just run away?"

She takes a deep breath. The shade seems distraught, though she's not sure how she can tell.

"I'm sorry, it's not your fault. I just hate irresponsibility. I mean, to behave like that, it's just... Ugh. One final question," she says, setting down several golden shoes next to the nearby sarcophagus, as it's propped up against the wall and thus not really suited for setting things down upon, "what are your jobs? Oh, and have there been any disagreements with the whole 'keep quiet and delay the inevitable' plan and if so, by whom?"

"Well, we, uh, work at a manufacturing plant on one of the great lines... it's somewhere in the beginning, as we can't tell what it is we're making from what we can see. Most of us operate machinery like the, er, spiraling spectral lathe and other things, and I'm... well, I'm the scapegoat, mostly. I'm there to take the heat for inefficiency. They've got a fancy title for it, too."

The shade pauses, sighing.

"But... don't be too hard on Ziggy, okay? It was the only way out of this life. Purples have even worse interest rates at banks than at loan sharks. And the investment sounded really good. Jim Blessed was apparently interested in it before Ziggy, for what it's worth. And I don't even know if that's true anymore, but it sounded really true to him then, I think. And then when he'd get an orange designation, he said he'd help us after that, too. It was all for a good cause, you know?"

Larry places his faith in this guy he doesn't know but who seems magical enough to know what's up.

"You seem to know what's up, bro. Following you this time," he says. The guy looks at Tracey, who's still trying to shut the both of them out.

"Well, uh, I guess we... wait, here's an idea," the guy says, and the world around Larry and Tracey melts away, revealing what appears to be a vast meadow in spring, with blue skies and white clouds above. They appear to have landed outside a small white house, complete with a whitewashed fence, a mailbox about as classic-looking as one could imagine, the meadow grass neatly trimmed within the boundaries of the yard. The air here feels invigorating, and the bright red front door of the house is almost beguiling in its implied invitation.

"Home. Nice place, huh? I'm thinking of coming here when I, uh, retire," the guy explains, indicating the house with a broad sweep of his arm. "Uh, what do you think? Unassuming enough?"

Tracey, seemingly, has not let this sudden change of scenery slip her by.

"Whoa! Where are we now? Looks idyllic. Is it a painting?" she asks, walking in a direction away from the house slowly.

"It's, uh, not a painting. Well... maybe it is if you, uh, liberalize the definition. Maybe it's one of those... uh, dreams? But, like, more solid. Less fleeting. But maybe not by much."

"A mindscape!"

"Is that a real word?"

Tracey shrugs. "I dunno. It is inside your mindscape?"

When one mentions the Marigold Moore Public Library, it would scarcely be in connection with such paltry things as adventure, or indeed much at all. It's not even particularly notable in its own neighborhood, the now-devastated Retiree Row, or at least this was so in the recent past before a plummeting stegosaurus happened to crush the other, much better-equipped but much less fancifully named Hopkins Public Library. Now, though, it's much more of an interesting destination, especially in the last eight or so hours after the invasion of dinosaurs that drove off most of the previous people working there was defeated by a prodigious invasion of dogs seemingly made of solid gold - the details are unclear, as Retiree Row is largely empty of life at this stage, and indeed nobody would take note of the place at all were it not for the rather sizable billboard repurposed and carried over, then set up on the library's roof at a relatively great height - it says, peculiarly enough,

APPRENTICES WELCOME
MAGIC IS TAUGHT
APPLY INSIDE

Now, this is what people in the business of wisdom would call a blatantly obvious trap of some kind. Who would brave the threatening streets of Retiree Row and approach a building guarded by currently benign, but clearly dangerous hairless golden dogs of possibly Mexican origin in order to seek the further endangerment to their lives that knowing anything of magic provides? Moreover, who would be so hasty as to do so within the first hours of the offer being made?

Surprisingly, quite a few. First to arrive was a small tanned fellow with a most uncommon knowledge of chakras and the purifying nature of hard work in service of greater minds. His name is Samson, and he's been here a while already. The dogs have been eying him the entire time as he's sat at the reception desk, finding his almost immediate arrival entirely too suspicious.

This worked well for the next person to arrive, Joel, as all the suspicion that would normally be directed at him as someone who's obviously a government spook of some sort, or at least an overly excited agent for a possibly currently hypothetical (at least until he reports his findings and gets mad amounts of recognition on a federal level for it) government agency is instead squarely pointed at the weird guy who got here first with little to no adequate explanation.

Even better, soon yet more supplicants appear. Third to appear, seeking some explanation for a freak storm of the worst cocaine he's had in his life, was the recently detentacled man named Roger. He probably didn't have anywhere else to go for that kind of thing - with his luck, the authorities have cordoned off the entire alley and affected apartments in a misguided effort to figure out how the existence of magic impacts the war on drugs.

And finally, about ten minutes before now, a strangely happy-go-lucky individual, presumably the only one here without some form of vaguely sinister or mysterious happenstance to explain their arrival, only mere curiosity about the mysteries of high sorcery, is Tiana. It's almost surprising to her how none of these three other people say one word to her as she arrives, and so she takes the initiative and starts to introduce herself, only to be cut off as one of the golden dogs barks at her, its body ringing in a metallic manner as it explodes into sudden rage, only to calm down moments later. Further attempts to say anything are met with the same response, and even whispers elicit a growl from their keepers, and for a moment Tiana suspects that this may not have been such a good idea after all.

But she is reassured that all is well when a dog ambles down one of the nearby staircases, holding a large cardboard sign in its mouth, on which is written as if by a dog's paw dipped in ink...

THE MISTRESS WILL SEE YOU NOW

Ushered urgently by the golden hounds, all four quietly make their way up the scratched and partly broken wooden stairs and into a particularly dismal reading area, where an adolescent girl wearing an ill-fitting golden dress with red dragons on it combined with slightly better-fitting platform heels and a tacky mink coat. Her lips, ears and nose all pierced in several places, with the presumable originals replaced with much more expensive-looking and out-of-place jewelry, including what is obviously a small diamond earring hanging from her right nostril. She is reclining sideways atop a pile of discarded books as if it were a hoard, anticipating your arrival with a faint smile.

"You may speak now," she says with affected calm, softly giggling as she runs her hand over the pile of books. "Tell me of your desires."

The dogs nudge the supplicants a little harshly at this prompt in case they have become speechless at the glorious sight of the mistress.

The negotiation has gone on for long enough.

"-the problem's not the denture, dude, it's the lack of exclusivity, you catch my drift? What kind of god would I be if I didn't stick up for my ele-"

Charles snorts derisively at the unreasonable demand. Against the Denture God it is a surprisingly effective tactic, slave to public perception that it is.

"No! I'm not backing down on the principle. You can't have the denture and a burst of denture power if it doesn't limit you exclusively to denture magic. So either you take the denture without the exclusivity and get me another disciple for a burst of holy power, or you take the denture with the exclusivity and the holy burst of denture power and be satisfied. And that's that! You can't have the perks of both, and I am really sorry about that!"

It sounds like it means it, too. Perhaps there is an opportunity to be exploited here. Or perhaps the offer is plenty generous already. Most of all, though, Charles is glad that he managed to get the Denture God to understand the noises he makes. Wonder if regular mortals would find him just as intelligible. Or at least be so kind as to ask questions with binary answers.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:49:19 pm by Harry Baldman »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: March 31, 2015, 12:46:37 pm »

John does his very best to concentrate so hard on the pleasant light that he might forget the stench. He fails, but tries not to show it.

"I'm not entirely sure, sir. I was asked by an old man in an abandoned gas stop to deilver this briefcase to you, he also said not to open it. It seemed like a good idea not to ask question at that time."

He holds up the briefcase that is attached to his arm

"This is it. I'm just the messenger, so I don't really know anything else, I'm afraid."

Yo sugardaddy, any info on this guy? He doesn't look like any gnome I've ever imagined.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 31, 2015, 12:55:31 pm »

"Snort Grunt"
(Can you jimmy around those gremlins or something? Their entire planet's in your domain.)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: March 31, 2015, 12:57:32 pm »

John does his very best to concentrate so hard on the pleasant light that he might forget the stench. He fails, but tries not to show it.

"I'm not entirely sure, sir. I was asked by an old man in an abandoned gas stop to deilver this briefcase to you, he also said not to open it. It seemed like a good idea not to ask question at that time."

He holds up the briefcase that is attached to his arm

"This is it. I'm just the messenger, so I don't really know anything else, I'm afraid."

Yo sugardaddy, any info on this guy? He doesn't look like any gnome I've ever imagined.

"I do not know this old man at an abandoned gas stop. If it's for me, it's probably poisoned. Poisoned and trapped. Are you sure it's for me?" the gnomosaur narrows its eyes, tilting its head this way and that.

~I have no earthly idea. He's tiny like a gnome while also being a dinosaur! And something else that's glowy as well! Mysterious. Can't get a read on him. Could that be the entire point? Obfuscation on levels scarcely dreamed of before? The mind retches with amazement!~

"Snort Grunt"
(Can you jimmy around those gremlins or something? Their entire planet's in your domain.)

"Why? They're not doing anything, and it's only in my domain for seconds at a time. It's somewhere else the rest of it. And anyway, what's that got to do with me giving you non-exclusive magic?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 31, 2015, 01:03:45 pm »

"I was specifically told to deliver this to Charlie in Greenblatt Park. I actually managed to get lost on my way here and met a beavergnome, who also pointed me in this direction."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:01 pm »

"I was specifically told to deliver this to Charlie in Greenblatt Park. I actually managed to get lost on my way here and met a beavergnome, who also pointed me in this direction."

"Well, this isn't Greenblatt Park. Have you tried delivering it to Charlie on Jew Street? How about Charlie who lives upstate? Greenblatt Park's in town, for Pete's sake. You know where that is?"

The gnome shakes its dinosaur head disapprovingly.

"That's a rhetorical question. Of course you don't. Let's just fast track the process, huh? Put your hand - your free hand - in my mouth and we'll get to business," the creature says, opening a small, yet nevertheless formidable toothy maw. The stench intensifies as it breathes in your direction.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3518 on: March 31, 2015, 01:13:53 pm »

"I understand. I will try my best."
"I am sorry for disturbing you. I hope that is enough to compensate you. And to thank you for your help. You're a good ma- shade."

Eta started walking out but paused.
"Just one more thing. Do you know anything about the investment or the loan? Do you know who loaned him or how much he owes?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 31, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »

John looks at the lizard, and blinks

"So, the beavergnome did lie to me after all. But really, what's the worst that could happen when I put my hand in your mouth. I'm sure I really care anymore."

Trust mister dinosaur, put free hand in his mouth.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 31, 2015, 01:19:04 pm »

((oh no! Not an endpoint! :(  monstrous and sweet update, btw))

Jamahawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 31, 2015, 01:36:33 pm »

Joel raises an eyebrow at this unusual and, no doubt, magically inclined figure reclining before him.  Then, he looks around the room at the gilded hairless Chihuahuas, taking a mental count.

"I am here to investigate the source of the strange occurrences in the area.  I must uncover the origin of this magic, and is there no better way than to go directly to one that is advertised this boldly?"

Joel stands up a bit straighter, having been direct, and waits for her to speak again.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 31, 2015, 01:56:38 pm »

"I understand. I will try my best."
"I am sorry for disturbing you. I hope that is enough to compensate you. And to thank you for your help. You're a good ma- shade."

Eta started walking out but paused.
"Just one more thing. Do you know anything about the investment or the loan? Do you know who loaned him or how much he owes?"

"This guy named... what was it, Hugh Vizza? Hugh Vazzam? Something like that. And the amount owed, that's, erm, tricky to discover. You have to ask around to find out, and then they ask what your name is, and then it gets really tense, I think. The original favor was a... trip to the surface and back, which is, uh, kind of a lot, and the interest's murder, and since it's favors we're dealing with the creditors can get... er... a little creative. Especially with markups for lateness."

Joel raises an eyebrow at this unusual and, no doubt, magically inclined figure reclining before him.  Then, he looks around the room at the gilded hairless Chihuahuas, taking a mental count.

"I am here to investigate the source of the strange occurrences in the area.  I must uncover the origin of this magic, and is there no better way than to go directly to one that is advertised this boldly?"

Joel stands up a bit straighter, having been direct, and waits for her to speak again.

Not quite Chihuahuas. A bit more wolfish, and about the size of an average dog. And also a little freaky-looking. There's three in the room, standing at the backs of you and the others. They don't seem very friendly.

The mistress smiles vacantly, touching her lips with her fingers lightly as she rests her chin in her hand. "So you have found me. And now...?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: March 31, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

Larry shrugged.  "Now you're making up words.  Let's go!"

Barge in!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jamahawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 31, 2015, 02:30:27 pm »

"And now, I would like to inquire about the origins of the power you seem to hold."

Joel clenches his hands nervously, slightly embarrassed that he did not convey his intentions thoroughly the first time. Remembering his etiquette, he removes his fedora.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:40:29 pm by Jamahawk »
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 244