Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248943 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus
« Reply #3525 on: March 31, 2015, 03:04:39 pm »

"SQEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLL Snuffle"
(Hey! I don't know how any of this bullshit actually works! I was hoping that using a different magical creature as a relay or something would provide a loophole of some kind. Speaking of. Have you found a pattern of any kind for where they show up? I could get some gremlin priests or something.)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3526 on: March 31, 2015, 03:09:43 pm »

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
"Hm. I see. Goodbye Gef. I hope we do not meet again under the same circumstances."
Exit and close the door.
"Good. I think I know where he is. Just one more quick check and then we can finish this. Unlock this one for me? Or do you have something to say?"
Indicate the door marked F on the map.
Assuming the law shade unlocks the door and doesn't do anything else, say the following as I open the door.

"Hello. Now that wasn't very polite."
Actions/words will follow based on what I see inside.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: March 31, 2015, 03:16:34 pm »

I shall swap Musical Garbage Blast and Emp- oh goodness. No. I shall swap Musical Garbage Blast for Stupefying Pillar of Potatoes. If I knew the technical differences between a portal and a vortex perhaps I would choose that instead - perhaps I could cast a portal, then jump into a vortex and pop out the portal? But the Nexusness of it all suggests I have no time left for such experimentation or cunning.

"Ah. Pete. I need you to kind of, revive, man. I think... I don't know why I feel this, but I think potato jihad is on."

Benjamin Halesey, Prophet of the One Potato God, feels fear. But at the same time he feels oneness. Wholeness. Certainty. For the first time in what seems like months he thinks of his brief but deep acquaintance, Larry, and hopes he does not have to potato jihad him. He looks towards God.

"God, I shall do as you wish. But I ask you two things: first, can you make your three initiates appear before me, conscious, and inform them of this Holy Task? And second, will you please forgive me for the impertinence what I am about to do?"

Cast Empathise with Potatoes at God.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: March 31, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »

"And now, I would like to inquire about the origins of the power you seem to hold."

Joel clenches his hands nervously, slightly embarrassed that he did not convey his intentions thoroughly the first time. Remembering his etiquette, he removes his fedora.

She stares at you with a satisfied look, slowly blinking.

"You would? The answer would be me, I'll tell you already," she tells you slowly, her smile slowly becoming a grin.

"SQEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLL Snuffle"
(Hey! I don't know how any of this bullshit actually works! I was hoping that using a different magical creature as a relay or something would provide a loophole of some kind. Speaking of. Have you found a pattern of any kind for where they show up? I could get some gremlin priests or something.)

"I've been trying to talk to you these past few hours! I haven't figured out a thing! And hey, if you want to take anything up with the gremlin kings, be my guest! Would save me some grief if you just went and took care of this on your own without badgering me for help if you don't actually want what I can give you."

"Hm. I see. Goodbye Gef. I hope we do not meet again under the same circumstances."
Exit and close the door.
"Good. I think I know where he is. Just one more quick check and then we can finish this. Unlock this one for me? Or do you have something to say?"
Indicate the door marked F on the map.
Assuming the law shade unlocks the door and doesn't do anything else, say the following as I open the door.

"Hello. Now that wasn't very polite."
Actions/words will follow based on what I see inside.

"I hope so, too. But thank you for listening," Gef says as you leave.

Once you are in the corridor and ask the law-shade for its opinion, its non-interventionist policy no doubt allowing all manner of unvoiced insights to develop.

"These shades require a harsher touch," it says when prompted. "The one you spoke to could have been broken with insistence. Revealed something it was holding back. Though your method reveals other avenues as well."

With that, it unlocks the hatch indicated, and it opens inwards, revealing... not much, really. It's the same sort of room as you've seen already, cramped and lacking in amenities, the sarcophagus looming in the distance entirely closed.

From behind the open hatch you hear a nervous sound, a startled movement. Looking down, you spot two shadowy legs running down beneath it. A feeble attempt at hiding oneself. Though you admit it does seem rather good at blending in with the drab metal walls.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: March 31, 2015, 03:44:23 pm »

I'll take the first floor. I can put a ton of those pork queen ladies on it to fight whoever tries to get up, except us.

Head up/down to the first floor if I'm not already there and summon many platoons of Foreign Pork Queens. An unreasonable amount.
Command them to spread out and take strategic positions so as to effectively guard the entire floor from anything except me and the other magicians I'm with. Maybe also go around putting Walls of Enchanted Traffic Lights up in spots that could be defended better to give the queens some fortifications.

((This action's gonna take a while.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3530 on: March 31, 2015, 03:52:15 pm »

Firm? Okay. Let's try firm.
"Oh, will you look at that. This room appears to be completely and utterly empty and I have no reason to doubt that. I sure hope nobody is hiding in here, because I tend to react violently and cast horrible spells to rude people who surprise me. So if anyone was hiding in here, it would probably be best for them to politely announce their presence, step out of their hiding place and greet me."
As Eta finished talking in a loud and exaggerated manner, she started taking slow and loud steps towards the entrance of the room.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: March 31, 2015, 04:00:04 pm »

Firm? Okay. Let's try firm.
"Oh, will you look at that. This room appears to be completely and utterly empty and I have no reason to doubt that. I sure hope nobody is hiding in here, because I tend to react violently and cast horrible spells to rude people who surprise me. So if anyone was hiding in here, it would probably be best for them to politely announce their presence, step out of their hiding place and greet me."
As Eta finished talking in a loud and exaggerated manner, she started taking slow and loud steps towards the entrance of the room.

"I would really rather you left my room," the shade says very tensely. "I don't want to speak with anyone. I'm really in a very bad state of mind right now, and the sudden appearance of visitors is not making things much better."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3532 on: March 31, 2015, 04:13:35 pm »

"As much as I'd like to, I'm afraid I can't do that. I can't leave until I've delivered my message."
Enter the room and face its hiding place.

"But, as long as I'm here, why don't you try talking about what troubles you? It helps ease the burden of your problems when you share them with another. I bet recent experience has shown that to you. Together in the promise of success, together in failure."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:15:49 pm by Parisbre56 »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: March 31, 2015, 04:47:52 pm »

"Sniff Sniff"
(Okay okay I'm sorry. Let's just go over the situation again. Then maybe we can think about it in a more logical fashion.)

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »

Tiana looks around in amazement, and turns to face the woman.
"Well, my desire is to learn magic, and that's pretty much the only thing I came for.
After saying this, she continues to look around the library.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: March 31, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »

Roger looks unimpressed.

"I desire a hot dog. And maybe some way to protect myself, since I was perfectly happy until I was disturbed by... well, you may not want to know. Magic sounds like a good defense against magic, at least, so I came here. So, uh... are these dogs yours?"
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Nunzillor

« Reply #3536 on: March 31, 2015, 08:12:02 pm »

Samson was tired.  He was tired of fruitless groveling, of empty ritual, of fake mysticism and false mystery.  First thing's first, he had to know if this was for real.

What do I want?  I want the truth.  Tell me, what true sorcerer gives away her secrets to whoever shows up at a library?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:31:09 pm by Nunzillor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: April 01, 2015, 09:54:38 am »

"As much as I'd like to, I'm afraid I can't do that. I can't leave until I've delivered my message."
Enter the room and face its hiding place.

"But, as long as I'm here, why don't you try talking about what troubles you? It helps ease the burden of your problems when you share them with another. I bet recent experience has shown that to you. Together in the promise of success, together in failure."

The shade pokes its head out along the side of the hatch. Just as purple-eyed and featureless as any other.

"A message? For Bonzo, I'd guess. Rest of us haven't done anything wrong. You gonna break his legs in three places each, then? It's been long enough already, hasn't it?"

"Sniff Sniff"
(Okay okay I'm sorry. Let's just go over the situation again. Then maybe we can think about it in a more logical fashion.)

"Oh no you don't! That tactic may have worked the first twenty times you did it, but not this time. Just pick one already, denture magic plus a touch of holiness, nonspecific magic without a touch of holiness. You can't have nonspecific magic with a touch of holiness, no way, nuh uh, not ever. Now pick already and leave me alone!"

Tiana looks around in amazement, and turns to face the woman.
"Well, my desire is to learn magic, and that's pretty much the only thing I came for.
After saying this, she continues to look around the library.

Many of the bookcases are overturned, books spilled out on the ground in a disorganized mess. A few places in the ceiling have cracks or holes, and water damage is evident beneath these on both the books and the floor. There's a conspicuous trace of red off in one of the aisles, though nothing remains other than a stain on the carpet.

As you state your goals, however, the mistress fetches a book from behind her and slides it over to you along the ground - one of the dogs springs to the front to intercept it, arresting its progress with a paw, snuffling as it navigates its snout over the thing, then shoving it in your direction once again. It lands at your feet. The cover says "Crystallokinesis: A Different Kind of Physics", and seems adorned with all kind of new-age mysterious symbols.

"Take the book, tear out a page, burn it and watch the flame," the mistress of magic herself says slowly and deliberately. "I like your style," she adds. "Straightforward-like."

Roger looks unimpressed.

"I desire a hot dog. And maybe some way to protect myself, since I was perfectly happy until I was disturbed by... well, you may not want to know. Magic sounds like a good defense against magic, at least, so I came here. So, uh... are these dogs yours?"

"Yeah, they are. Have a book, too. Same deal, burn a page, watch the flame," she says, sliding a book over to you as well - the dogs don't appear to care about this one, and you notice that it veers wildly off-target, almost getting shuffled into one of the dogs now pacing behind you. It has "Longing in the Jungle" written on the cover, and features a shirtless man sitting on a tree branch with an intense look on his face, with a half-transparent, odd face of a generic woman in the background.

Samson was tired.  He was tired of fruitless groveling, of empty ritual, of fake mysticism and false mystery.  First thing's first, he had to know if this was for real.

What do I want?  I want the truth.  Tell me, what true sorcerer gives away her secrets to whoever shows up at a library?

She rolls her eyes at the question, her expression becoming a little more animated, though her speech remains slow and, you think, a little bit slurred.

"All true sorcerers, genius. Beats having to drag you in one by one," she says derisively. "Take a book, burn a page, watch the flame," she says, passing a book to the space right next to you. It's a copy of Hodgman's All-Purpose Compendium, Volume 15. "Then we can... talk more."

Nunzillor

« Reply #3538 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:31 am »

The prelude to more fakery, surely.  Nevertheless, Samson decided to indulge her.  Maybe there was a kernel of truth to her claims.

Take the old lighter out of my pocket and light a page on fire.  Look into the flames, skeptically.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3539 on: April 01, 2015, 10:20:58 am »

"Nothing that violent, not unless he is uncooperative. I am here to deliver a message, investigate and if I find it appropriate, take whatever action I consider to be right. That doesn't sound as bad as it could be, does it Gamu?"
Observe his reaction.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:22:47 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 244