Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248863 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Ooh, Magic!
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 05:52:52 am »

"...I don't even know."

Half of her wanted to just slam the binder down right here and now and exit the room. The other half, though, wasn't in the mood for giving up just yet. Unsettling or not, there was an unsolved mystery, right here. And she'd be damned to let it stay that way.

Okay. Focus...

Flip through the pages systematically. Establish whether there is any similarities, any repeating patterns or any, well, language involved. If so, try to understand it.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 07:23:46 am »

The first one to try anything is Larry.

"Um... anyone getting this?  Where's fatty, anyway?  Maybe it's one of those osmosis things they ramble on about in those GED classes."

Lacking options, he plants his face right into the book. He finds that he can see the abstract art rather nicely now. In fact, it seems to almost leap at his eyes, worm its way into his brain.

[Larry's mind roll: 4]

To be perfectly honest, he feels quite close to the book in more ways than one - it does seem to be... joining with him, somehow. The diagrams - for that is what they are, are no longer within the pages. They are now on his retinas, and burning their way ever deeper.

And it feels wonderful. Larry starts to involuntarily giggle with the power flowing into him as it becomes clear to him - he has two choices, two spells - he can choose one, no more. At least, that's what the book seems to be telling him. He isn't sure how else he could interpret "TWO POWERS, CHOSEN MORTAL! CHOOSE ONE!"

Spoiler: Larry's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

"...they are a trifle unsettling, though I can't say why. Perhaps it's psychologically meant to make us uneasy. Like, some sort of subliminal messages," Kat offers. She looks over at Larry, his face literally buried in the book, the sound of laughter coming from him. Okay. That's... interesting. She looks at the book, looking for any meaning amongst the shapes within. She, very much like Larry, feels a sense of the shapes leaping out to her, so to speak, but, unlike Larry, she has the privilege of physical distance that means she merely shuts the book, drawing her head back instinctively. Yeah, there's certainly something dangerous in there, she thinks.

Halesey mumbles as he starts to get a really weird feeling about this. He still leafs through the binder, of course, trying to figure out what's going on here. Eventually, he finds a page that looks... particular? Aesthetically appealing? Intriguing? Or more familiar than the others? Nevertheless, he examines the page, then closes his eyes and tries to picture it.

[Halesey's mind roll: 4+1]

Only to find that he doesn't actually need to - his eyes are now closed, but the binder remains even while all else goes away. He stares at the binder. The binder stares back, the familiar picture drawing closer, expanding until it seems to envelop his head like some sort of net, pressing into his brain. His mind wanders through what he can only describe as mental corridors so dusty, he isn't sure God himself has trod here. It's like when you renovate a house and find out that there's an ancient civilization buried underneath three feet of dirt in the basement - it's incredibly surreal, sure, but you're also kind of glad you found this out when you did and not, say, ten years later, for instance. As his mind is pulled on a journey within itself through some unknown means, he comes to a certainty affirmed by what seems to be an external voice - he is to be granted something. Three choices he has, and each holds power of its own.

Elizabeth, unclear on whether she's been had or whether this is some kind of eldritch mystery right there, decides to go for the latter, trying to analyze the contents of the tome. She flips through the book, looking for anything resembling a pattern or a language aside from acid-induced, photocopier-magnified visual gibberish.

[Elizabeth mind roll: 5+1]

She concentrates on the shapes, trying to find any rhyme or reason to them, anything at all to hold on to. After a moment of thought, she realizes that there isn't anything at all in the book. Nothing whatsoever to hold onto.

This, she understands, is because the book seeks to hold onto her to make sense. Find context. Of course the diagrams make little sense to anyone. All she needs is to open her mind, and it will all fold together as easily as can be.

~very astute.~ she hears in her head. ~you are ready.~

At this point, the binder enters a predatory lunge, it seems, though it also doesn't move at all. It pounces on her mind, salivating precious knowledge into the confines of her consciousness, the soft trickle of secret understanding filling her senses. The voice's tone rises monotonously, until at last there is a ding somewhere in her brain. Or the mental equivalent, anyway. A portion of magical power has been served.

Back in Room 303 and not some freakish mindscape, Kat observes that her compatriots appear to be slightly absent in the mental sense. She wonders whether that's a good thing for either them or her.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 07:47:52 am »

Kat now assumed the group might be under the influence of some sort of psychotropic gas being pumped through the air vents.

Because her senses were warring with her usually strong sense of reality. Kat was not without an imagination, but this was too much. A simple book shouldn't have this effect on her, or the others. She resolves to look for the trick to it all, like any good reporter would, unwilling to believe what she obviously can't

Action: Examine the book again, wary of the changes.

Spoiler: Kats stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:19:20 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:47 am »

A muffled voice comes from Larry's binder.  "That's the trick- you just have to rub your face in it!"  Maybe eating a page would help too?  Maybe later.  He had the power now- the book said so, and of course it must be right.

Anyway, he had a choice.  Commune... wasn't that where dirty hippies lived?  Storms are powerful, so that must be better.  He didn't know who Mucus was, but he was probably a hippie.  Damn hippies.

Let's give it a try.

Take door number 1.  Stand up, face an empty wall, and try it!

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

So, from here on in, I want you all to post a spoiler after each action that contains your current name, inventory, stats and spell list, if you'd be so kind.

Current name?   :P
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 07:59:04 am »

I'll mention that you can all assume that you have about 50 dollars or so in spare cash if you feel you would, plus some more on your credit cards or whatever. You can also assume that you have a cellphone and some mundane items that you have already mentioned, like Halesey has a stolen watch and Elizabeth's got her headphones (and presumably something to plug them into).

Current name?   :P

You can give yourself a new one if you like. You're all either wizards or somewhat magical, so you can do whatever you please as long as nobody (like your mother or something) tries to stop you.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:01:07 am by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:13 am »

Do we need to list those?  I just assumed that obvious stuff (clothes, shoes, undies, phone) didn't need a mention.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 08:02:53 am »

Do we need to list those?  I just assumed that obvious stuff (clothes, shoes, undies, phone) didn't need a mention.

No, not really. I assume you have them either way, unless you specifically state that you don't.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 08:20:09 am »

((Don't mind me, I'm just a stickler for RP details, lol. ))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:03 am »

”Wow. Whoa. Shit. Uh.”

Halesey doesn’t want to open his eyes and risk losing this, but is glad when he does and takes a look around. Nothing in the room seems to have changed and nothing seems more out of the ordinary than it was when he arrived. He finds he doesn’t actually have to shut his eyes to see all that… stuff again. He just sort of stops looking at the room and it’s there. He wants to joke that he’ll take a Displace Beans please Bob, but thinks better of it and stops to consider what he’s just heard, or felt, or…

Enraging… sounds kinda bad. Wigs. Judges. Hmm. Enchanted canned goods? What? Beans. Hmm. Displace? Now that sounds useful. Got no beans though.

He wonders whether he should speak his choice aloud, or try to speak it into his mind. Something in the back of his head wonders where the fat toilet dude went and whether any time has actually passed.

”Uh.. Displace Beans please,” he ends up mumbling, hoping that no one else could hear, if they were paying any attention at all.

He searches in his pockets to see if he happens to have a bean lying about in them. He feels a bit stupid: he can’t remember the last time he carried beans loose in his clothes.

But he does find a half pack of chewing gum.

He takes one small pellet and holds it on his palm, and tries to think the feeling that Displace Beans gave him when he was offered the spell. He tries to visualise it ending up on the floor in front of him.

If nothing happens he goes back to feeling through the spell book.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2013, 11:04:27 am »

All knowledge is valuable, and I shall not refuse any gift of knowledge, no matter how small. Elizabeth thinks these words, forming the sentence in her mind as clearly as she could manage, in hopes of the voice picking them up somehow. It was kind of ridiculous - but then again it wasn't talking to the book, which would be openly ridiculous and besides oh please shut up brain this book just talked to me in my mind and maaaaagic is happening.

The irrational part of her brain was having a little Ron Paul moment. That was going a little too far, so she forced herself back into a focused state.

So... all of them, if you would be so kind. And... another thing, if I may... who are you?

Continue chatting with the weird voice. Take all three spells.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:18:55 am by Errol »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 12:10:31 pm »

Kat, supposing that there might be some trick here at work, tries to examine the book again. Obviously, she could not just turn away without some form of explanation. Such an attitude is where all sorts of silly legends spring from. She takes a deep breath and opens the binder again.

[Kat's mind roll: 5]

This time, though, the book is not ready to let go as easily. In fact, there is a certain determination about it, or is it impatience? The diagrams, once scorned, immediately flood Kat's vision as she looks into the book once again - she tries frantically to close it, but it is too late - the floodgates are opened. Worlds of meaning and power flood through her perceptions, spinning wildly and bouncing within her head, not very good at staying in one place, evidently. Things she has not seen or heard, things no mortal has witnessed in ages and perfectly mundane things becoming extremely twisted - all of these fill her mind to the point of almost bursting, then, in a process that comes as naturally as exhaling, leaves again, leaving but a few meaningful vestiges and a choice to be made.

Spoiler: Kat's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Larry, currently in the middle of a choice that may define at least the next five minutes of his spellcasting career, finds the time to give advice to his partners-in-magic.

"That's the trick - you just have to rub your face in it!" rings out his muffled voice, his mind already made up on what his next spell shall be - oh yes, he shall choose the first - the Storm of Filthy Fans! As he orients his mind toward his goal, he feels the spell enter his mind in a dramatic fashion, making him feel up to fifty percent more magical in no time at all.

As he removes his face from the binder, looking like he's feeling rather good about himself right about now, he stands up from his chair, then strolls over to an empty wall. He focuses his mind and tries to unleash the power of the spell.

[Larry's affinity roll: 5+1]

He aims his hand forward and concentrates his will, urging the magic within him to come out and have a good time at the expense of this wall right here. The air shimmers around his palm, and a massive torrent of filthy fans - if the homeless had a king, these would be the fans he would be fanned with on a hot summer's day when his flowing, matted locks would glisten with venerable sweat. They issue forth from his palm, flying against the wall, curving in their path and flying along the entire room, fluttering everywhere and making a general mess of things - the rest of the cards on the desk fly about, candles go out from the wind of the fans flying around, and the smell of incense is soon replaced by that of perhaps fortunately unidentifiable filth. Larry himself is untouched, fortunately enough, but the rest are hit by quite a few of the fans, leaving filthy fanprints all over their clothing! The fan storm shows no signs of abating after a good minute or so.

But who cares, right? Magic! That he can do at will in a presumably infinitely repeatable fashion! Aw yeah!

Halesey, who has just made a selection of Displace Beans and feels rather optimistic about it, is less than pleased by this development, as when he removes a pellet of chewing gum from his pocket and tries to magic it away, an errant disgusting fan knocks it right off his hand. Oh well. He supposes it wouldn't have worked anyway. After all, it does say pretty clearly that the spell displaces beans, no? Now, if this was Japan and he had bean-flavored chewing gum, then he might be in business.

Elizabeth hardly even notices the storm, mostly because she hasn't exited her spiritual journey to the center of magic or whatever yet. This is probably good, as it would throw off her concentration, anyway.

All knowledge is valuable, and I shall not refuse any gift of knowledge, no matter how small. So... all of them, if you would be so kind.

~splendid. go nuts.~ Three spells move right into Elizabeth's mind, acting like they pay rent and everything.

And... another thing, if I may... who are you?

~don't wanna say. bye.~

Elizabeth is then snapped out of her trance, three spells richer. The room's changed somehow - she doesn't recall it being host to a storm of fans somebody's clearly pulled through several garbage cans. Aw, damn, there's fan gunk all over her clothes now!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »

Larry laughed with glee.  This was it!  Power!  There was nothing, and then he made something!  All because he willed it!  He had done it- taken the first step to unlimited power!  Sure, it's just fans, but who cares!  He leaned back and let loose his best maniacal cackle.

"Fweehehe!"

Hmm... needs work.  No time for that now, surely the spell for immortality was in here somewhere!

"This is the best thing ever!  Isn't it great, guys?"

Dive back to the book!  Rub my face all over it again, and over my body if that doesn't work.  Embrace its gifts!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:31:32 pm by Toaster »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 12:24:52 pm »

Kat blurts out loud "Dinosaur rain?"

And apparently that's what she chose.

Seeing the room rapidly filling with dirty fans from thin air and incontrovertible truth that either magic existed, or she was having a manic episode and strapped down in a gurney somewhere, Kat shrugs.

Huh, magic. How...well...

She concentrated on the spot near the front of the room, where the fat man had been standing. She imagined a...friendly dinosaur? The one that eats plants, with plates on it's back-a baby.

Then she waved her hand in that direction mystically, laughing girlishly.

Might as well enjoy the crackup, she thinks.

Action: Choose number 1! Then try to rain a dinosaur into the room where it won't squash anyone. Presumably.

Spoiler: Kats stats (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2013, 12:31:06 pm »

"Dinosaur rain?"

Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2013, 01:09:47 pm »

"Ooh no you didn't! Take this! Bolt of Alcoholic Beeeeeeeans!"

She would never have admitted it - but right now, she had the time of her life.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:16:03 am by Errol »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 244