Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248849 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Ooh, Magic!
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »

"Oh. Hmm."

Halesey glances towards Larry, but decides someone who can summon flocks of filthy fans isn't someone to mess with just yet. He needs something more useful than the ability to move very small things he doesn't have. Either he should go out and get some beans or he should learn something more generally applicable...

He moves to the corner of the room and sits cross legged, opening the folder on his knees.

Re-enter the book whilst trying to keep the Displace Beans spell in mind. See if anything can be interpreted or understood with the previous spell. Can something similar be found?

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2013, 04:03:47 am »

The ex-classroom is filled with the sounds of people consumed by wonderment at their own abilities. Like Larry, for instance.

"Fweehehe!" he intones. It is at this point that the storm of fans begins to quickly subside, the filthy things floating down to the ground as the force that seemed to animate them apparently loses the will to do so anymore. Hm. Clearly, he needs more of these spells! He opens the binder and rubs his face on the pages again!

[Larry mind roll: 3+1]

Once again, the magic fills his senses, getting its grubby magic hands all over his brain! And in return for experiencing the mental equivalent of being felt up in a subway, Larry also feels that he is given a choice once more.

Spoiler: Larry's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Kat, meanwhile, makes a momentous choice with all the awareness of a dog in a cell awaiting trial for drug possession with intent to distribute.

"Dinosaur rain?"

Clearly, this was taken as definite affirmation of what she wishes, as she is immediately returned to reality, a decidedly less stormy room than before.

Hm, well, if she's crazy, might as well enjoy it. She points her hand at a particular spot in the room and calls upon the mystical power known as Dinosaur Rain.

However, dinosaurs fail to appear at said spot for some reason. Kat wonders why for a moment, but can't think of any reason why this might be. Maybe the magic fizzled? Or maybe magic doesn't exist at all? Difficult to say.

The antics in the room, blissfully uninterrupted by any dinosaur visits, continue unabated. Elizabeth in particular seems to be quite dizzy with the potential of whatever she's got right now.

"Ooh no you didn't! Take this! Bolt of Alcoholic Beeeeeeeans!" she shouts, not aiming at anything in particular.

[Elizabeth affinity roll: 4+1]

And, right as rain, a bolt - well, more of a sharpened glob, really - of beans appears in front of her palm and hits a nearby wall with reasonable force, the beans scattering throughout the room.

Halesey resists the temptation to try his bean displacement abilities on said magical alcoholic beans, and instead tries the book again.

[Halesey mind roll: 4+1]

He manages to get back into the book, and it is as vivid as ever - however, he isn't sure any of it is under his control in any shape. In fact, he would say he isn't so much reading the book as the book is reading him instead. It's an odd feeling, but he supposes you get used to it. After a short while of the book invading his sensory apparatus, he comes away with yet another bunch of choices for his next supremely magical power.

The thunder outside intensifies, growing more frequent and the room grows darker.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:04:14 am by Harry Baldman »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:45 am »

Kat nodded. Because of course, magic doesn't exist. At least, she couldn't do it. Which meant this was all an illusion. Or she wasn't doing it right. But how you could do something right that had no business existing in the first place?

She giggled, fleeing the room, binder tucked under her arm. Perhaps the world was ending, that was it. Apocalypse. Mayan sun spots driving everyone insane simultaneously! Nosferatu Masons had unleashed their beam satellites on mankind! The fluoride in the water was taking it's final toll!

Kat hoped the weather wasn't as bad as it sounded, though. It was hard enough to drive a motorcycle while sane.

Action: Escape the crazy classroom! Get back to my motorcycle.

Spoiler: Kats stats (click to show/hide)

((Man, nothing works for me. I think I'm failing alot of unshown rolls somewhere.
Edit: Unless the dinosaur is about to fall through the roof of the building. Hmm.))
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:23:34 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:18 am »

"Vortex? Yes please… Who knows where a portal might go… and I dunno if I want a bunch of bouncy angry dentists hanging around…"

Halesey had been sceptical but the sudden apparition of the filthy fans seemed undeniable. The beans too, although perhaps a little less impressive, or perhaps more so, as they seemed… a little more controlled. He wanted to experience that for himself to see if this was real…

Face the same wall as Larry did, point left hand towards the wall, and concentrate on summoning a vortex of potatoes on the wall. Or a Potato Vortex.

((This could possibly go badly. If so, apologies. It’s that or displace some alcoholic beans.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 07:53:12 am »

Ahh, the feeling of power rubbing into his brain.  That was the ticket.

Now... there was a more interesting choice here.  Musical strippers were never a bad thing, but demon knights to serve him?

Of course, did "Calm" mean calming one that was around or summoning a calm one?  Well, whatever, let's give it a try!  Those musical strippers were trouble anyway; they always ignored him.  Especially that one, and he had even given her a whole dollar!

"Come forth, Demon Knight, and serve me!"

Choose Spell #1 again.  Give it a shot.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2013, 09:32:01 am »

This... was... getting a bit ridiculous. Quite the flurry of casting and learning and, to be honest, ridiculous spells. Yes, rrridiculous. She had expected something a little more... conventional? The spells flung through the room seemed like they came from a joke article mail order spell book. She picked up the dirty fan that had landed on her shoulder with a sigh, and tossed it away.

That wasn't actually a bad thing, she realized. All things considered putting Fireballs of Explodingness in the hands of magic novices was a bad, bad idea.

Anyway. No more wanton magic. Seemed like there was nothing better to do than to continue studying the book... and waiting for the head wizard to return. Had to be one hell of a dump. Elizabeth decided to move to a corner first, to avoid getting hit by too much magical crossfire... put on the headphones, as the thunderstorm worried her a bit... and delve into this magic binder once more. She only vaguely noticed the other woman exiting the room swiftly.

Study the binder. Not with that much of a focus on new spells - if the book doesn't feel like giving me anything else, fine - but rather focusing on more... understanding.

And remember, always be polite in dealing with entities beyond your comprehension.

Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:42 pm »

Kat realizes that whatever's happening here, she wants absolutely no part of it. After all, she's not crazy. And magic probably or possibly doesn't even exist. Right? She rushes out of the classroom, heading downstairs. She needs to get out.

She scales several flights of stairs down to the first floor, running right out of the lobby and into the rainy street. She looks for her motorcycle. Oh, thank God it's still there. She needs whatever-

Her thoughts are interrupted by a giant mound of scaly, suspiciously feathered flesh plummeting down like a meteor, falling dead-center onto where her motorcycle had been safe and sound a short while ago with a deafening boom. Said mound appears greatly displeased by what has just happened to it, figdeting wildly and getting to its feet, revealing Kat's motorcycle to be rather badly crushed. Oh dear. Kat looks around to judge whether this might be a singular act of God specifically to spite her for consorting with sorcerous forces, and comes to the conclusion that this is probably not the case, as there appear to be similar creatures raining everywhere (really in about a 9 square block area, with the community center miraculously exempt from the rain for now) - some are dog-sized, some even smaller, some approach the size of a car or even a house. Needless to say, there's quite a bit of property damage going around. The poor things themselves look pretty confused - well, the ones that don't smash into the ground and essentially explode all over their surroundings, which appears to have happened some distance away to a particularly large specimen.

Rather miraculously, this seems to be happening in a certain radius around the community center.

Back in the classroom, Halesey chooses the power of the Potato Vortex, wondering what that might entail. And by wondering, I mean trying to find out experimentally.

[Halesey affinity roll: 3-1]

He steps over to the wall, concentrating hard upon it and outstretching his palm like a professional wizard or something, but nothing happens! The magic doesn't feel like coming out of him, looks like. How utterly disappointing.

Larry, growing pleasantly accustomed to the sensation of power searing his mind, goes with Spell #1, Calm Videotape Demon Knight! Hoping that a videotape demon knight somehow comes with the rest of the deal, he raises his face from the book.

"Come forth, Demon Knight, and serve me!" he says. However, the videotape demon knight refuses to do so. How disappointing.

Elizabeth, observing all the silliness happening around her, ceases the wanton bean magic and returns to studying the binder, seeking understanding. She opens it up.

[Elizabeth mind roll: 3+1]

~want more?~

I seek knowledge right now, not power.

~eh, no dice. maybe later. quite a bit later. for now, power.~

And truly, power does seem to hit her in a wave, and Elizabeth's mind clutches at two phrases - she must let one go, or risk being swept away.

Just as suddenly as he disappeared, the fat man returns, a look of tranquility on his face.

"Hey, you guys know anything about the fact it's raining dinosaurs outside?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:41 pm »

Kat wondered how many innocent families were getting crushed in their homes by her callous use of magic that shouldn't exist.

Then she thought what she'd look like if a Dinosaur sat on her. Probably like her poor motorcycle.

She giggled in a high pitched manner and fled back into the dubious safety of the classroom.

"It's raining dinosaurs outside! And they smashed my bike!" She exclaimed to everyone, though they didn't seem very surprised.

She pointed to the fat man and advanced upon him. "Hey! You! You're gonna tell me everything you know about magic right this minute. How can all of this be happening? Why would the book give me the power to destroy several city blocks with previously extinct reptiles...er, birds...whatever!" She says, poking him in the chest.

Action: Conversation time!

Spoiler: Kats stats (click to show/hide)

((OOC: I'm around for some quick response RP if needed))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »

Then... the beavers... I guess?

The choice had been born from morbid curiosity about how exactly beavers could be racist. She figured that it would be a bad idea to test it right now.

What to do now... studying would be pointless... the room is calm and... oh, hey. Someone just finished his audience. And... okay, what?

"Is it really raining dinosaurs?"

Go to the windows and check what's going on outside.

"Whoa. You've got no idea what palaeontologists around the world would give to be here right now, but you don't sound too fazed by that. I take it you've seen stranger? Also... what do we do now? Is there a wizard equivalent of the Men in Black?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2013, 12:56:58 pm »

Well... I guess the knight needs, like, a passport from Hell or whatever.  It'll come.  Larry notices the one lady returning and squalling about dinosaurs.

"See?  See the power we now wield?  And you doubted it!  HAH!"

Larry turns to the fat man.  "Hey big guy, where's the spell of infinite power and wealth?  All we've found are fans and dinosaurs so far.  Is there an index or something?"

Question nameless fat man.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:25:19 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:37 pm »

"See?  See the power we now wield?  And you doubted it!  HAH!"

"Of course I doubted it! And it seems to be a power I 'wield', but am entirely unable to control. I tried to summon just one dinosaur. A small one."

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 01:16:50 pm »

"But, it wouldn't be a dinosaur rain if you only summoned one. It'd be more like, uh, a dinosaur droplet?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2013, 01:23:54 pm »

Larry gestures at Elizabeth.  "See?  She understands.  What's the point of power if you don't swing it every which way?  Why summon one dinosaur when you can summon hundreds!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »

"But the dinosaurs will kill dozens, if not of hundreds of people!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 02:14:12 pm »

Kat thought a moment.

"Well, that sounded completely insane."

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 244