Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256966 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Wild Magicking
« Reply #870 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:56 pm »

((Larry's not clever enough for that.  I imagine he has the numbers of the other three starters, but certainly not anyone else.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 02, 2014, 03:37:27 am »

"Well, I suppose we should go and ask if anyone has seen these kids"

Go over to one of the buildings that seems inhabited, knock on the door and ask for information about the kids
I shall do the same
Spoiler: Clair Malk (click to show/hide)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 02, 2014, 03:39:58 am »

Stalk my way up to these people.
Hellooooo~

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 02, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »

Halesey has a marvelous idea. He'll call Al the Lawyer.

"We could offer Al the Lawyer a 10% cut to keep everything legal and not screwing us over? Or 5? He was called Al, right? Was that this morning? He was a good guy and probably knows more about contracts that us. He'll let us know if we have to potato this jerk. Take it out of my share if you object - I don't think I actually need that much money any more, you know? I've... in some way ascended to a higher plane. A shamanic plane. Yeah. More, like, poetical than the life I've left behind," he mentions to Larry.

"Sure, whatever.  Once we get Summon Babes and Infinite Power, it won't matter anyway. Or firing laser beams out of my nipples or whatever," Larry replies. Halesey is glad to have him on board, and takes his phone immediately, where he finds the contact for Al the Lawyer, which must have been put there by Elizabeth after she disappeared into the shadows a while ago. He calls Al right up, waiting a moment for an answer.

"... yes?"

Halesey breathes heavily for a moment, but then decides against making that sort of call at this particular hour and goes about his business.

"Al the Lawyer?"

"... no? This is Her-"

"I have business with you. Legal, legitimate business."

"Well, that's certainly unusual, I mean, not that that's a problem, sir, but-"

"I need you to-"

Before Halesey can complete this sentence, though, the shampoo raincloud above him flashes, and a streak of soaped lightning arcs into his body without provocation of any sort, followed by the sound of rolling thunder.

[Halesey's body roll: 5]

Halesey twitches, gibbers inarticulately for a moment and starts swinging his arms around, but seems to overall be perfectly alright. He looks at the phone, which similarly seems to have gone completely unharmed, which is quite the testament to either its construction or a very convincing argument that shampoo lightning might not be as deadly as regular lightning. He merrily puts the phone back up to his ear and speaks.

"I need you to look over this contract. You're a lawyer, right?"

"Um, no, I'm actually a-"

"Great. We'll get this sorted out in no time. Get on over to..."

"Klein's Pawn Shop on Burton Street."

"Yeah, Klein's Pawn Shop on Burton Street. It's very important that you do," Halesey concludes the conversation, hangs up and hands the phone back to Larry. Larry, in turn, isn't quite sure what just happened. Who did Halesey even call? Hopefully not his mom or something.

"So, let me just go into the back room and call up my own guy, and we'll have this done in a couple hours."

He wanders slightly away from his new pals and makes a phone call. Not long after he's done, Al the Lawyer arrives, stepping cautiously into the store, his eyes immediately drawn to the now-organized stacks of smut filling one whole side of the store.

"So, uh, you needed help with something? A contract, right?"

John, in an uncharacteristic move, takes the initiative as Clair follows, moving onward to adventure. As they move, they are vaguely aware of Samuel slinking behind them.

"Hellooooo~" Samuel intones, but nobody listens to him as the two approach a random tenement. Checking the stairwell door, Clair finds it locked, so it is up to John to knock on the window most likely to have people behind it. This has pretty decent results, as soon the dark-haired head of a rather grungy-looking adolescent girl pokes out of the window.

"What do you guys want? And what's wrong with that guy?" she asks, pointing at Samuel, who appears to be pretending to be jelly. She turns back to John and Clair, who seem to be busy deciding how extremely likely it is that they're looking for this girl. Their guess would be 'very'. "And why're you looking at me like that?"

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »

"First question, Do you know a Mister Lee?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 02, 2014, 02:30:04 pm »

Samuel wobbles over to the girl. Hello!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 02, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »

"First question, Do you know a Mister Lee?

"Oh shi-uh, no?" she replies, trying to look innocent. She seems to have also decided against leaning out of the window so far.

Samuel wobbles over to the girl. Hello!

The girl nervously jerks her head toward the sight and sound of you, then looks back at Clair. Here eyes begin to dart between all three of her visitors. You can smell fear! Yay!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »

"Hi, Herbert. Thanks for getting here so quick. Yeah, I wondered if you could read over the contract that Al the Lawyer is gonna draw up for Klein the Pawn Shop dude here, just to make sure everything looks legit. Basically we want him to be our distributor for our publishing business in the States, you see, so he wants exclusive rights in the US, and Mexico, and we want some money. I know, I know, I'm just meant to be on vacation here, but when I see a good deal I can't help myself. And you've been a real good friend since earlier, so I wondered if you would want in, and help me out for, say, 5% of the ongoing contract? It's to sell gentleman's literature, so if you have qualms, I won't be offended if you back out. The first amount is something like $3000 times three quarters, and I can't remember the rest of the details cos I just got struck by lightning, but they seemed okay to me. What do you say? Or even 25%, if you feel like managing the business side of things for me."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 02, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

Clair hold out her hands(with Cabbage and mag) in a 'easy, girl' matter "Relax, you not in much trouble, mostly since there isn't a glowing crater or something. Your family is probable worried sick and Lee sent us because...I don't know, keep us out of trouble." She look in Samuel's direction
Spoiler: Clair Malk (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 02, 2014, 03:21:35 pm »

You smell pretty - you smell like fear~

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 02, 2014, 03:41:41 pm »

You smell pretty - you smell like fear~
Scandalous Potato Bolt Samuel

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 02, 2014, 03:46:12 pm »

"Ahem, pay no mind to him, he's had a complicated childhood. Honestly, you aren't in any trouble, we're just here to check up on you and perhaps convince you to go back with us, as my partner already said. Mister Lee and your parents are worried sick"

say the above to the girl

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 03, 2014, 01:21:03 pm »

Halesey explains to Herbert what might be up.

"Hi, Herbert. Thanks for getting here so quick. Yeah, I wondered if you could read over the contract that Al the Lawyer is gonna draw up for Klein the Pawn Shop dude here, just to make sure everything looks legit. Basically we want him to be our distributor for our publishing business in the States, you see, so he wants exclusive rights in the US, and Mexico, and we want some money. I know, I know, I'm just meant to be on vacation here, but when I see a good deal I can't help myself. And you've been a real good friend since earlier, so I wondered if you would want in, and help me out for, say, 5% of the ongoing contract? It's to sell gentleman's literature, so if you have qualms, I won't be offended if you back out. The first amount is something like $3000 times three quarters, and I can't remember the rest of the details cos I just got struck by lightning, but they seemed okay to me. What do you say? Or even 25%, if you feel like managing the business side of things for me."

Herbert sure looks like he finds the idea somewhat distasteful, but he seems to have decided against expressing this sentiment.

"Er... sure. I'll help you. For, uh, five percent. Yeah. Five percent sounds good. I guess I'll... speak to Mr. Klein, then."

"You'll speak to my lawyer, rather. He's coming over. I've got the backroom ready for the negotiations. Go right in," Mr. Klein says, pointing to a door. Herbert glances back at the pawnbroker with what seems like uncertainty. "He'll be there in a few minutes. So go on. We'll do fine here."

Herbert nods slowly, then walks into the backroom. At this point, Mr. Klein turns back to Halesey.

"Hope it's not too much of an imposition, but you wouldn't happen to be somehow related to all that weird business going on in the news? Dinosaurs raining from the sky, mountains of cocaine turning up in the street, weird creatures running around, that sort of thing? I'm asking for safety here."

Clair tries to make the girl relax by doing her best impression of a worried hostage negotiator.

"Relax, you not in much trouble, mostly since there isn't a glowing crater or something. Your family is probable worried sick and Lee sent us because... I don't know, keep us out of trouble," she speaks in her characteristic urban dialect. However, just then Samuel decides he wishes to be his regular charming self again.

"You smell pretty - you smell like fear~" he says in a sing-song voice, which visibly creeps out the girl, causing Clair to take matters into her own hands.

[Clair's affinity roll: 3]
[Clair's finesse roll: 2]

A potato flies out of her fingertip, which she just so happens to be pointing at the ground. As it hits the pavement, it splatters, causing the girl, John and Samuel emit a simultaneous involuntary gasp. That's definitely no way for a potato to suddenly appear and behave, they believe. John is the first to take charge of the situation.

"Ahem, pay no mind to him, he's had a complicated childhood. Honestly, you aren't in any trouble, we're just here to check up on you and perhaps convince you to go back with us, as my partner already said. Mister Lee and your parents are worried sick."

"I'll... be right back. Hold that thought," the girl says, nervously closing the window, pulling the drapes shut. The three mages can hear a faint stomping sound that soon fades into nothingness. Hm. That could have gone better.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:35 pm »

"What, us?  We're fine upstanding distributors of gentleman's literature.  Why would you ask that?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nunzillor

« Reply #884 on: February 03, 2014, 07:21:43 pm »

I suggest that Halesey offer a protection racket to the store.  Given his criminal background, it would not be an implausible thing for him to offer.  What do you think, la?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 244