Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248304 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2013, 10:18:13 am »

Kat, in a bid absolutely devoid of things even vaguely approaching logic, tries to cast her skirt enchantment spell on her pants!

In a shocking turn, it does not work. Kat is appalled at the universe's inability to accept that pants really are just skirts for each leg that have gotten conjoined in an unfortunate accident, and feels understandably disappointed when said universe, presumably out of spite, adamantly refuses to accept that there is even a bit of sense in that statement.

Elizabeth, quite confident that her new chums can handle this even newer and even filthier chap just fine, goes on to find a hat. Fortunately, this proves simple - a rather sizable cap she presumes (based on a brief evaluation based on her extensive knowledge of old stereotypes) to be the property of either a trucker or somebody who likes or at least pretends to like Convoy a little too much for their own good seems to be at the mercy of the rather terrifying wind in one of the nearby industrial lots. She seizes it, intent on causing intense swankification.

[Elizabeth's affinity roll: 4+1]

The cap shifts and twists in her hands as she summons eldritch energies in its direction. It seems to flip in some unusual fashion, becoming very different in the process - for one, it is now made of high-quality leather, which, as Elizabeth supposes from the delicate fur inlay, is probably quite real aside from being magically conjured. In addition, it is probably quite a bit less lice and flea-infested now, not to mention completely pristine and not stained with anything other than the most delectable of fine nectars. Finally, it smells prominently and indefinably of luxury and opulence. All in all, it's much better than it used to be.

Larry, having prepared himself to become like a grizzled mindscape mariner, trawling the depths of untold magic, places his face in the book once again, prepared to obtain more power than one could possibly imagine.

[Larry's mind roll: 2+2]

It is fortunate that he was indeed prepared, as the vast knowledge that attacks his mind is ferocious, almost incredible, a veritable torrent of possibly magical noise, and it is only through his expert ability that he manages to seize even a few bits of powerful knowledge!

Spoiler: Larry's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Halesey, feeling that he has quite a plan here, refuses to give in just yet.

"Er... Yeah. I think. I'm fine. I just took too many beans man. I'm totally tripping."

"Uhm... okay."

Having cleverly deflected suspicion, he tries again, but with less failure! Hopefully!

[Halesey's affinity roll: 6-->4-1]

This time, he can feel the magic flow through him and out onto a nearby wall, not extremely close to his companions. It's a bit... large, though. And it exerts quite the pull. And smells quite earthy.

[Larry's body roll: 1-->1-1+1]
[Kat's body roll: 4+1+1]
[Halesey's body roll: 3+1]
[Dude's body roll: 2+1]

With the exception of Kat, who grabs a nearby drainpipe, all the people present are then swept off their feet by the vortex, with Larry getting almost instantly sucked into the thing before he can emit as much as a slightly frightened inarticulate exclamation. The dude does little better, also falling over and slowly getting pulled toward the vortex. Halesey is also on the verge of falling over, which he disguises as an opportune crouch to pick up a bean he may have lost.

"Agh! What's going on?" the fellow on the ground shouts to nobody in particular.

"What? I don't see anything," Halesey explains calmly.

"I don't think hallucinations work that way!"

"Why, what's happening?"

"I'm getting sucked into potato hell, that's what's happening!"

Oh my, seems like quite the disturbed individual, Halesey thinks.

Larry, meanwhile, has little time to think. And little to see - just potatoes and infinite darkness all around him, he observes. This darkness presumably holds only more potatoes. Still, could be worse. At least there's air around here. And he can sort of see the mouth of the vortex from here - a few rays of light are consistently radiating toward him from not too far away.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2013, 10:53:17 am »

((Behold, the power of the potatomancer! Um, sorry all. Action later))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2013, 11:09:15 am »

Kat hung onto the pipe for all she was worth!

What else was she going to do? Drop a dinosaur on it?

((OOC: I'd note the following for those not interested in being turned into french fries.

Halesey decides it would be wise to throw chewing gum at it. He removes the pack from whatever place he may have kept it in and hurls it toward the vortex. The pack disappears immediately....Moments later, it flies out of the other vortex, the one in Room 303. Halesey is mildly surprised, and the rest only look curiously for a moment before realizing that it's nothing important.

Apparently, it's a potato-portal gun...or something...though, who knows what happens if you get trapped inbetween them? Probably french-fryification! I'd try to cast another portal at a safe distance and see if Larry comes out. Maybe. Who cares, I got a pipe!))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2013, 11:16:47 am »

((yeah, one if my two plans was to cast another portal. The other involved shooting a bolt of beans into it, having Larry stand on a bean, and displacing it to safety))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2013, 11:21:34 am »

((wish I could help, but my spells are stupid and useless. I need to metagame more.

Question, what if you cast a potato vortex inside of a potato vortex?))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:52 am »

((Question, what if you cast a potato vortex inside of a potato vortex?))

I know I'd certainly like to find out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:33 pm »

Potatoception

Larry muses to himself.  Mmm... cookies.  Then it's less cookie and more potato.

"Um... help?"

Pick Cookie Barrier.  Move toward the possible exit?  Put up a cookie barrier to protect myself.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2013, 02:30:51 am »

"Potato hell? Wow dude, you're totally tripping. It's probably best to kind of lie down in the recovery position and hope it passes, man. It's just a rush, don't panic. It gets much more of a pleasant buzz after."

Cast Potato Vortex again, about thirty feet away from the first one, in as harmless (i.e. open) a position as possible. Use the exact same motions and mental imagery as last turn.

((Toaster, I'm not sure what else I can do, really. Sorry about that. If this doesn't work then I do have two other options, but they are both pretty scientific. Actually three other options, if you include fleeing. The two scientific options would be shoot beans in, or shoot potato vortexes in. Oh gosh, yes, in fact a fourth option would be to find a rope, tie it to something VERY solid, and throw the end in. Crikey. I could attempt that if you'd prefer.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2013, 07:40:29 am »

((Your current move seems rather reasonable.  Considering my roll (and past experience with Perplexicon) this even seems rather mild.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2013, 07:49:37 am »

((I haven't read the whole Perplexicon game, but dying to suffocation from a massive otherworldly mass of potatoes would be the weirdest death I have ever thought of))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2013, 10:04:10 am »

Kat, supposing that getting sucked into a vortex of potatoes is not something she wants to do today, hangs onto the pipe, trying her best not to get pulled in and thinking happy, non-potato-related thoughts. It seems to work rather wonderfully, keeping her quite safe in her current position.

Larry, though, finds himself in a very different situation. Floating through the earthy, potato-filled dimension, he can only feebly suggest that he needs help, hoping that there is some kind of force that might have mercy on him in here.

Well, he can do that and summon up his newfound eldritch power to summon barriers made of cookies, that is. And really, if you can summon cookies, what possible reason could you have not to? So he does just that.

[Larry's affinity roll: 6-->4+1]

He focuses his will on a particular segment of the potato dimension - a segment all around him, in fact. His mind moves almost automatically to address the alarming lack of cookies in each direction, resulting in a pipe-shaped barrier springing up all around him. It is, naturally, made purely of assorted cookies, all of which seem to be in flavors and consistencies he finds pleasing. Not to mention that the barrier seems to be unmoving, unlike the potatoes all around him. Being in a rather snug cookie-rich spot does wonders for his peace of mind, Larry finds, even if it fails to address any overarching concerns of his. Like, for instance, the fact that he is both weak as a kitten and trapped in what may very well be a dangerous and inescapable fate. He must say, this is not really what he envisioned happening to him this morning. Well, at least there seems to be air in here. There's even a rather notable breeze.

In slightly less mystifying place, Halesey tries to open up another potato vortex even while steadfastly denying the existence of the first one.

"Potato hell? Wow, dude, you're totally tripping. It's probably best to kind of lie down in the recovery position and hope it passes, man. It's just a rush, don't panic. It gets much more of a pleasant buzz after."

The guy getting sucked into a vortex doesn't seem to be really listening to him at this point, being busy hanging on to the pavement for dear life. Oh well.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 2-1]

Halesey begins to concentrate on another spot in the area to summon more vortexes to fix the situation at hand, at which point he realizes that the vortex still seems to be pulling him in. Fortunately, when he loses his footing he notices a small potato vortex begin to form beneath him. A vortex that immediately shrinks back into nothingness, too. He's starting to get the feeling that magic isn't really about repeating the same gestures over and over, to be perfectly honest. It hasn't worked for him so far, at least not very well.

[Halesey's body roll: 2]
[Dude's body roll: 2]

Both Halesey and the other guy seem to be drawing perilously close to the vortex, actually. The other guy especially, who looks to be no more than a meter away from the thing and losing ground fast.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:48 am »

He's starting to get the feeling that magic isn't really about repeating the same gestures over and over, to be perfectly honest. It hasn't worked for him so far, at least not very well.

((Yes but I have no other idea on how to save my comrade from potato hell and I am a responsible citizen. And, you know, nothing has worked particularly well for us yet. I am very close to shooting a bolt of indestructible beans in to save Larry. Or kicking the other man into the vortex. Or just running and praying for Larry's soul whilst saying sorry a lot.))

"Crap."

Halesey decides he doesn't much like vortexes of potatoes and he's getting nearer to one by the second.

"Double crap."

Why should he care about some bloke he'd never seen a few hours ago?

"Extra crap."

Maybe he should just run for his life and never speak of this again?

"Extra double crap."

Unless, he supposed, he suddenly needed a hell of a lot of potatoes, but he couldn't imagine, at the moment, that kind of situtation coming up very often. Crap, was that his foot slipping into the potato hell is was trying to deny?

"Feckin' enormocrap."

And then it hit him. The solution would probably - probably - be to get naked.

"Hey girls. Can I have your pants? I'll give you some beans?"

Swiftly remove trousers. Tie one end to nearest drainpipe. (If possible i.e. consent is given or at least not withheld insert step of tieing other peoples' trousers to own trousers here) Tie other end to foot. Leap in and save Larry, dragging him and his special cookies to safety. Or just him, given that there seem to be a lot of cookies.

((the worst that can happen is I end up naked in a swirling hell of potato, and if that happens then I have a plan))

edit: Sheet:

edit: sweet, naked potato hell high fives all round.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:13:28 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:14 am »

Kat rolls her eyes despite her potential potato-related doom.

"You planned this all out, I swear." She says, shucking her jeans.

It had to be the day she wore short pink boxers and orange socks...

Action: Give up my pants to form the great chain of heroic rescue rope. Help pull out the boys. Hold onto that pipe!

Spoiler: Kat's Stats (click to show/hide)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2013, 11:02:26 am »

Meanwhile, Elizabeth has found the group after taking several wrong turns and getting lost, and-

"What the actual fuck. How. Just how."

Remove trenchcoat and assist in whatever the hell they're doing.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2013, 11:09:43 am »

The white chocolate chip ones looked most delicious.  Now, about that exit...

Attempt to move to the exit.  Accept any pants-based help.

Also, see below.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 244