Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256086 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Changing of Hands
« Reply #645 on: January 04, 2014, 12:03:52 pm »

Larry snorts and gives the woman a look of disdain.  Well, if he HAS to share the power...

"Well, IF the book finds you worthy, it will give you the magic it deems you're worthy of having.  Like, an incantation to clip your toenails or something."

"There's an incantation to clip your toenails?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 04, 2014, 03:17:33 pm »

"Er, well, I'm fairy sure there's an incantation for everything, just I guess if your brain tried to hold it all you'd go mad... I think madness is quite a risk, in the mage business. You know, Larry, I'm considering opening my mind to the book another time, but I'm worried if I lose the access to potato hell I'm just gonna go mad myself. Bearing in mind it is pretty much the ultimate power, out of any we've discovered so far, what do you think? I don't wanna trade ultimate power for... for some feckin' incantation to clip feckin' toenails, you know?"

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 04, 2014, 06:37:44 pm »

"And these blessings are a disease that takes a long time to work and a portal to infinite shoes?"

"Those are but the beginning! Through effort, you will find powers beyond your wildest dreams! The blessings are wide and varied, and some will be more dramatic than the others, naturally!"

"So, where are we gonna move the church?"

"There is a factory on the dilapidated side of town that interests us - it is there that we must watch the old world die and the new one begin! But first you must prepare, my son!"

You notice that there seems to be one man in the crowd of worshipers coughing loudly. He looks pretty happy, though. The guy next to him looks equally pleased.
"Alrighty then, let's go!"
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2014, 12:18:29 am »

Larry shrugs.  "Wouldn't bother me if you lost it.  Why don't you lock yourself in there next time you want to cast it?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 06, 2014, 05:36:55 am »

Halesey makes an effort to explain magic to Jo and possibly his own self as well.

"Er, well, I'm fairy sure there's an incantation for everything, just I guess if your brain tried to hold it all you'd go mad... I think madness is quite a risk, in the mage business. You know, Larry, I'm considering opening my mind to the book another time, but I'm worried if I lose the access to potato hell I'm just gonna go mad myself. Bearing in mind it is pretty much the ultimate power, out of any we've discovered so far, what do you think? I don't wanna trade ultimate power for... for some feckin' incantation to clip feckin' toenails, you know?"

"Wouldn't bother me if you lost it.  Why don't you lock yourself in there next time you want to cast it?" says Larry, being as helpful as usual. Just as Halesey is about to make further comments, the fat guy returns, a binder in his hand. He throws it to Jo, who fumbles the catch and has to pick the binder up from the ground.

"There ya go. Acquaint yourself with the material."

"Uh... okay," Jo says, opening up the binder. She leafs through it for a few moments. "Is it supposed to... ah... hm..." she begins to say, but trails off as her eyes become wide and quite glassy all of a sudden. Ah, the joy of discovery.

Willy has lingered in this smelly, cramped, unsafe closet of a church for long enough - time to leave!

"Alrighty then, let's go!"

"Onward to glory!" Hungry Pete yells, beckoning the others to follow him - most do, except one who collapses, coughing blood and grinning widely at the same time. Willy guesses it would be impolite to disturb him and moves on. As the group walks through the streets, avoiding several confused dinosaurs on the way, another guy does the same thing - he also gets left behind. Willy wonders if he'd benefit from some kind of immunization.

Before he can decide to do anything, though, he finds himself in the bad side of town, outside a rather gray and blocky multi-story building, which Willy would recognize as a shining, if dilapidated example of Brutalist architecture had he ever studied such things. Instead, he recognizes it as a shining example of a place his mother told him to never, ever go to. There's holes in the walls, for Pete's sake.

"And we are here! Now, my children, let us deliberate - do we enter as brave conquerors and the vanguard of salvation, or do we approach as humble seekers of truth?"

Most of the followers present look a bit too happy and/or diseased to answer, honestly, while the others are a little too concerned about this fact to notice much of anything Hungry Pete is saying.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:11:15 am by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 06, 2014, 05:57:49 am »

"Okay. So. I'll just do this and then we can sort out the cash for the interior decoration."

Re-open mind to the Book of Power. Try very hard to not lose access to potato hell.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 06, 2014, 09:10:32 am »

"Uh, sure.  You mean like our skull thrones and shit?"

Hit myself with some more magic too.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 06, 2014, 09:44:01 am »

Noticing how Jo takes to the book, Halesey supposes he could use some new spells as well. He opens up his own binder.

"Okay. So. I'll just do this and then we can sort out the cash for the interior decoration."

"Uh, sure. You mean like our skull thrones and shit?" Larry asks, but Halesey is already consumed by the process. Figuring there's no harm in refreshing one's spell list, he goes for a spin as well.

[Halesey's mind roll: 6-->4+1]

Halesey, meanwhile, blissfully floats through a vast mindscape, his greedy mitts clutching passing knowledge by the handful, only stopping when he is suddenly snapped back into reality, at which point he realizes he is almost bursting with power.

[Larry's mind roll: 2+1]

Larry, however, is less lucky. He likes the knowledge, but the knowledge, regrettably, doesn't like him, it seems. It squirms out of his grasp, avoids his advances and generally behaves like an evasive jackass to him, seemingly delighted at giving him the slip time and again. Eventually, he catches a single spell, but he gets only a moment to enjoy his find, as he is immediately catapulted out of the ol' magical fishing hole.

Spoiler: Larry's New Spell (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:04 am »

((Is that "take it if you want" or "STFU you get this spell?"))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 06, 2014, 10:30:41 am »

You have to take it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 06, 2014, 10:32:58 am »

Not what he had in mind.

Drop the demon spell, then.  Focus and prepare to take another try.

Larry nodded.  "Yeah, uh, listen to that man.  He knows what's up."

Follow along.  Mucus anyone that gives us grief.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:00 am »

((oh god what to swap for a Wall of Pigeons?! Especially where having a hairy mafioso actually seems useful. But on the other hand, imagine! Boom! Wall of pigeons!))

"I... the... ngggggggg!"

Take Hairy Mafioso but procrastinate a bit as I'm not sure yet

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 06, 2014, 01:00:11 pm »

Larry is slightly dissatisfied with the spell he got - when are the nuclear blasts coming, anyway? So he resolves to try again, but with more concentration this time. He doesn't get anywhere with that, though - his head still hurts a little after that bit where he focused to unleash this one megaspell... he never did unleash that, actually. And now it's gone.

While he reflects on this particular failure, he notices another woman standing next to Jo. She's wearing a very nice suit, and she looks absolutely stunning, and also a little bit like what he would expect Jo's more successful big sister to be like.

"Wow. You look kinda like me."

"Well, of course. Consider my origin, for one."

"Uh... makes sense, I guess?"

"What spell was that, anyway?"

"Evoke a beautiful lawyer?"

"Quite so, yes."

Halesey, meanwhile, faces a different problem - there's this Wall of Pigeons he really wants, but hairy mafiosi are also something he could use... and most of his spells are so good already! Such a dilemma. It's starting to make his head hurt something fierce, actually.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 06, 2014, 01:21:20 pm »

((Oh hey.  Shouldn't I have another spell slot now since I went Mind at level up?))

Damn head.

Unleash the reading focus!  Read the SHIT out of that book.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:24:20 pm by Toaster »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:11 pm »

((Oh hey.  Shouldn't I have another spell slot now since I went Mind at level up?))

You should, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 244