Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 248548 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1260 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »

"Larry, we should get back to the church and vortex it to oblivion before any of her friends show up. They are going to be pissed if they find out what we did to  her. But it was the right thing to do, right. She could have kneecapped us too, the little fecker. I think the last few people... things we've met have shown us the reality of this new world. It's brutal, like tigers and antelopes. We need to stick together, and when we do anything, we have to do it really fecking hard, no questions. Unless that question be, dude, should we vortex the shit out of this eejit, and the answer to yon question be, shit yes dude, let's vortex hard."

So rambling in his approaching madness, Halesey doth turn back to the church, accompanied by his numerous hairy mafioso, there to do vortexing.

Go to the church. Stand, say, 25 feet away from it, where I can't be seen from the street. Cast Potato Vortex at the church. Then cast it again, at the same spot.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 12, 2014, 03:49:40 pm »

I look through the hole made by my underpants and then put on the new ones and stare again into the flames of creation.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:05:22 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 12, 2014, 04:58:25 pm »

"Shit, Luz! Trey, focus on gettin that thing off. I'll be there in a second!"

Cast detonate methhead on the methheads around the watchman, then go help get the washing machine off of Luz

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1263 on: April 12, 2014, 06:43:06 pm »

Pantless? Oh my. How peculiar. Eta tried to ignore the rather disturbing sight (even at this distance) and instead focused on inspect the alley itself.
There were no holes or other signs of destruction near the people there, at least none that she could see. So whatever caused this strange event must have originated from that alley. Which means that those individuals might have seen something... if they weren't directly responsible. Somehow.

Well, she had no time to call the police. They might be gone untill they get here (if the police responded to her call in the first place). Not to mention that if she did that, she would be missing out on an opportunity for adventure.
If I'm going to get to the bottom of this, I'm going to have to do some investigating of my own.
That way, Eta also got to satisfy her curiosity. Certainly better (and more interesting) than spending the night looking for a place to sleep that has no holes in it. Way better than watching television and drinking tea.

I sincerely hope it doesn't rain. Eta thought, looking at the night sky through the exit hole. Alas, given my luck, it probably will. And it will probably be that strange bubbly rain too.

Grab the sturdiest umbrella I can find (and wear temperature-appropriate clothing if necessary) and make my way to that alley as quickly as possible. See if the men are still there. I have to get to the bottom of this!

Keep an eye out for anything strange on the way there.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:47:17 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 12, 2014, 10:14:23 pm »

Did he say "feck?"  The hell was that?

"Damn skippy.  Let's vortex this bitch."

Start casting S-C Vortex at various spots on the church.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 13, 2014, 04:02:09 am »

Myles figures that a spell that ostensibly renders booze unspeakably nefarious couldn't make it all that bad to drink, right? He locks eyes with the bottle in the man's hand and concentrates, wishing to bring about magic!

However, nothing seems to happen for some reason. Myles wonders if magic's supposed to feel like that, or if something might have gone wrong. Fortunately, this puzzlement lasts only a moment, as the man is kind enough to immediately confirm that the latter scenario has definitely come to pass, examining his bottle for a moment before looking around, his dull, watery, pale red eyes settling on Myles.

"Trying to magic up my drink, aren't you?" he unexpectedly asks, and half-stands, half-floats to his feet, pointing the bottle at Myles. "I was just looking for one of you types, actually! C'mere," he says, approaching Myles in a mildly ominous fashion. "I want to tell you something."

Outside the church, Halesey and Larry are having one of their regular afternoon conversations.

"Larry, we should get back to the church and vortex it to oblivion before any of her friends show up. They are going to be pissed if they find out what we did to her. But it was the right thing to do, right. She could have kneecapped us too, the little fecker. I think the last few people... things we've met have shown us the reality of this new world. It's brutal, like tigers and antelopes. We need to stick together, and when we do anything, we have to do it really fecking hard, no questions. Unless that question be, dude, should we vortex the shit out of this eejit, and the answer to yon question be, shit yes dude, let's vortex hard," Halesey posits.

"Damn skippy. Let's vortex this bitch," Larry agrees, and the two move on to the obligatory second stage of all their afternoon conversations.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 5]
[Larry's affinity roll: 6-->1+1]

Practically synchronously there appear two vortexes, one of unhallowed potato borne, the other of champignons most damp and foul! The latter grows more quickly than the other, and its pull proves a little difficult for the two summoners to resist!

[Larry's body roll: 5-1]
[Halesey's body roll: 4]

Fortunately, with their levels of vortex mastery, none of their creations pose any threat to the two dudes! So they continue their summoning unabated!

[Larry's affinity roll: 2+1]
[Halesey's affinity roll: 6-->1]

Larry begins summoning another champignon-filled wound in spacetime, but does not get very far before he notices the tubery fire in Halesey's eyes! The thought of stepping away a bit occurs to him, but it comes far too late and without the requisite rodent instinct to facilitate rapid relocation! And so he can only watch as another vortex appears inside the one already there, and for a moment, space goes incredibly wonky in the area, twisting this way and that, before the two vortexes fuse into a single, massive, sucking maw about the size of a house, covering the entirety of the front of the building!

[Larry's body roll: 1-->5-1]
[Halesey's body roll: 3]

Both the summoners instantly find themselves in what people better-versed in science fiction would term a 'gravity well', and within seconds Larry is practically within spitting distance of the thing, his legs far too weak from the hundred-meter jog of mi to save him from the treacherous vortexward acceleration! Halesey does a little better, though he is also dangerously close to losing his footing!

After looking at the hole in the upscale apartment building he just made and deeming it all right and proper, Dave quickly puts on his new C-string, finding it oddly evocative of a single maple leaf in many ways, and finally decides to light another green light and look within.

[Dave's mind roll: 5+2]

This time, he winds up in the very same room, except there's no desk. Instead, he spies a banana hanging from the elevated ceiling on a piece of string, and also a single heavy crate in the corner. Looks like a puzzle, Dave thinks, and the solution is plainly obvious, so he ambles over to the crate and opens, finding to his satisfaction that there seems to be a lifetime supply of shurikens within. Grabbing a handful, he begins throwing them at the piece of string - fortunately, it does not require too much skill, as the string is fairly long and thin, and merely lobbing a shuriken at it seems to remove the banana from the ceiling's grasp, at which point it impacts the floor loudly, cracking the marble tiling a little. Seeing no other logical path of action, Dave walks over to the banana, picks it up and peels it, only to find that there is no sweet fulfillment within, only arcane secrets that waft into his brain, filling it with disturbing information!

Spoiler: Dave's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

John is displeased by the way the battle seems to be going.

"Shit, Luz! Trey, focus on gettin that thing off. I'll be there in a second!" John says before turning back to the watchman.

"Working on it!" Trey shouts back.

[John's affinity roll: 2]

John, however, can't seem to get the methheads around the watchman explode in all this excitement and anxiety, so he guesses he'll just go help Trey.

[Trey's body roll: 4-1]
[John's body roll: 6-->1]

Miscalculating the necessary distance, John straight-up rams into the washing machine as Trey feebly tries to push it off his girlfriend, upending it and successfully removing it from atop Luz, at which point the girl breathes in with blissful relief. John, meanwhile, gets the feeling that this maneuver he just did will hurt quite a bit more in the morning than it does now, and he can't say it feels awfully pleasant right now, either! If John had to venture a guess, he would say that he's probably fractured his arm in at least one place with the charge.

What's more, despite the washing machine having been taken off her, Luz still looks to be in a considerable amount of pain.

"Oh god, I think my ribs might be broken," she mutters to herself.

[Night Watchman's affinity roll: 3+1]

And things are then, in a shocking twist, made significantly worse when a vortex made of clacking, meaty-looking dentures suddenly appears right next to them, exerting more than a slightly uncomfortable pull on them all!

[John's body roll: 1-->3]
[Trey's body roll: 6-->4-1]
[Luz's body roll: 6-->4-1+1]

John is rather blindsided by the sudden appearance of the vortex, and would have been sucked in within seconds were it not for his two teenaged friends, with Luz grabbing on to his leg while Trey pulls him away by the arm, dragging him to a safer distance. John is rather glad, because he did not want to find out what unholy dimension of salty dentures that might have led to.

"How'd you like that, assholes? Want some more?" the night watchman sneers at them from his high perch.

After spending a moment cleverly rationalizing about why exactly she's going to go outside and have a looksie at what's going on, Eta quickly gets her coat and sturdiest umbrella before descending down the steps of her building and getting out into the street - it takes her no more than a minute to rush over to the alley. Aside from the rather noticeable panic inside her building, the area seems perfectly calm and normal up until the point she rushes into the alley, where she does indeed confirm the presence of two men - one wearing a suit and looking quite smug, while the other seems to be wearing nothing but a very damaged shirt and some sort of strapless thong. The latter individual currently appears to be staring at a lit match with glassy eyes, no less.

One thing is clear - whatever happened a few moments ago, these people look weird enough to be complicit in it somehow. And as Eta considers what her game plan here might be, taking into account all the present information, the suited man turns to face her, his eyes gleaming with a mildly creepy sort of interest as they take in her arriving shape.

"Why, hello there!" he says in a subdued voice. "Looking for something, miss?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 13, 2014, 06:15:12 am »

"You don't have to be such a fucking prick about it! You...you prick! If you guys still have anything to throw at that asshole, that would be great."

get the three of us a bit further away from the dentures. Then cast detonate methheads again on the ones around the watchman. after (trying) to cast detonate methheads, hit the watchman with a beam of suicidal tobacco

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1267 on: April 13, 2014, 06:37:16 am »

The man with the questionable wardrobe choices didn't interest her very much. The way he stared at those flames... He was probably drunk, or worse. It was unlikely that he could provide her with the answers she needed.

The other man though... he looked more alert and yet more dangerous. Being mugged in an alley would not be very nice. Good thing she had her trusty umbrella with her.

She began talking to the man, trying to sound as polite as possible while at the same time keeping her distance from him.
"Good evening, dear sir. I'm terribly sorry to disturb you, but I was wondering if you could be so kind as to please inform me of whether or not you have noticed anything out of the ordinary in this alley. Perhaps something related to the destructive events that transpired in that building?" she used her umbrella to point to her apartment.

Questions!

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)

((Is it just me, or does this guy talk with the same color as the guy whose booze Myles tried to evilify? Nevermind, turns out they were different colours after all.))
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:40:51 am by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 13, 2014, 06:55:39 am »

"Good evening, dear sir. I'm terribly sorry to disturb you, but I was wondering if you could be so kind as to please inform me of whether or not you have noticed anything out of the ordinary in this alley. Perhaps something related to the destructive events that transpired in that building?" she used her umbrella to point to her apartment.

"Oh, that. I have, actually. Why do you ask? Who are you, anyway?" the man asks, stepping a little closer.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 13, 2014, 09:37:10 am »

"I'ma good boy! Wha... Oh my apologies and who might this lovely lady be."

Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1270 on: April 13, 2014, 09:54:41 am »

"Oh, that. I have, actually. Why do you ask? Who are you, anyway?" the man asks, stepping a little closer.
"I'ma good boy! Wha... Oh my apologies and who might this lovely lady be."
Hm. Now we're getting somewhere.
"Really? How interesting. I ask because- Oh, but you're right, how inconsiderate of me. I failed to provide my name. I am Henrieta, although most people just call me Eta."
Eta made a small pause and bent her head a little, both as a form of greeting that didn't required her to get close to the strange men and a way to give them enough time to reply with their name.

Regardless of whether or not the men took the cue and provided her with a name, she continued.
"Anyway, a friend of mine happens to reside in the apartment I indicated a few moments ago. I was merely hoping I could find out what happened here and and ensure that there is no chance any more meteorites will pass through their residence."

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 13, 2014, 10:13:28 am »

"Dave David Davidson glad to make your acquaintance and to answer your questions science happened and I'm not making any promises."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 13, 2014, 10:42:24 am »

"Fuck your potatoes!  Help me out of here!"

Get out!  Summon hats to distract the vortex!

strapless thong

I think you've been hanging around La too much.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 13, 2014, 11:06:46 am »

"Shit, I keep forgetting that happens. Must be why they didn't want to vortex this church up themselves, eh."

Physically assist Larry in escaping the vortex. Ask my Mafiosi to help too. But first cast Wall of Pigeons between him and it!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1274 on: April 13, 2014, 12:05:32 pm »

"Dave David Davidson glad to make your acquaintance and to answer your questions science happened and I'm not making any promises."
Eta lowered her glasses to get a better look at the man, simultaneously using their frame to obscure his underwear.
"Are you implying that you were responsible for this destruction then?" she said with a bit more irritation than she intended. "How could that be possible? And you're saying that you aren't going to stop destroying nearby buildings?"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:09:32 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 244