Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255176 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2490 on: August 04, 2014, 03:53:35 pm »

Oh. Well, why not join the wizard gang I'm in? We have access to a leyline, and I'm pretty sure we'd welcome more members.

"I have already partaken of their power, and their ways are incompatible with the narrow path. The guard especially is a vicious profligate, and his mistress is not much better. Beware of their foolish conduct, as it will spell their doom soon enough."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2491 on: August 04, 2014, 05:08:53 pm »

"Her friends, apparently, are having some kind of gathering in that establishment. Some guy called Nigel and some others. Why? Would it be a problem?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 04, 2014, 08:26:53 pm »

Oh. Well, why not join the wizard gang I'm in? We have access to a leyline, and I'm pretty sure we'd welcome more members.

"I have already partaken of their power, and their ways are incompatible with the narrow path. The guard especially is a vicious profligate, and his mistress is not much better. Beware of their foolish conduct, as it will spell their doom soon enough."
What exactly is a profligate?
Also, what narrow path? You said your only tenets are to gather power.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 05, 2014, 05:25:32 am »

"Her friends, apparently, are having some kind of gathering in that establishment. Some guy called Nigel and some others. Why? Would it be a problem?"

"No, actually. The more faces we get and assign names to, the better."

What exactly is a profligate?
Also, what narrow path? You said your only tenets are to gather power.

"A profligate is somebody wretched, abandoned and shamelessly vicious, like the two at the bar. It is also very wonderful to say. I dare say it is my favorite word. Sounds quite biblical, does it not?"

"As for the narrow path, it is a thing that I walk - it requires that I share my power with the deserving, shun profligates and demonic influences, and keep in mind that the end is nigh, and that soon we will all be judged."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 05, 2014, 05:38:39 am »

Ah. Judged by who? God or what have you? Isn't he sleeping under the sea or in chains with venom dripping into his eyes for all eternity or nonexistent or eternally go-go dancing or something? It varies from myth to myth.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 05, 2014, 05:40:03 am »

Ah. Judged by who? God or what have you? Isn't he sleeping under the sea or in chains with venom dripping into his eyes for all eternity or nonexistent or eternally go-go dancing or something? It varies from myth to myth.

"I don't know! That's the interesting thing. I thought God at first, but now I am not so sure. Part of my quest is to find out!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 05, 2014, 05:55:41 am »

If part of your quest is to find out, how'd you recieve instruction that profligatery was a bad thing?
Sig! Onol

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 05, 2014, 06:01:05 am »

((Go-Go dancing is a true thing of history and myth, it's why the Romans were notoriously addicted to dance-dance revolution.))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 05, 2014, 06:01:56 am »

If part of your quest is to find out, how'd you recieve instruction that profligatery was a bad thing?

"It is called profligacy, and it is vile because it denies us our quest to use the gifts of the Lord - this filth groups around the Fingers, hoping to deny their power to others, obscure them, prevent pilgrims from reaching them, all the while grasping for every bit of power they can hope to catch. They are fools, and I need no instruction to know that I want nothing to do with their path."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 05, 2014, 06:07:48 am »

Ah. Why not pretend to join one group and then subvert it from within or assassinate everyone in it after a while? I wouldn't even be that opposed to it, my only ambition is to consume more donuts and gain cool powers that will aid me in consuming said donuts.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 05, 2014, 06:33:20 am »

Ah. Why not pretend to join one group and then subvert it from within or assassinate everyone in it after a while? I wouldn't even be that opposed to it, my only ambition is to consume more donuts and gain cool powers that will aid me in consuming said donuts.

"I am terrible at deception, unfortunately. It is why I have not done well at fitting in so far!"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 06, 2014, 07:12:47 am »

Halesey, having been mentally absent for a few seconds after calling Linda and successfully putting down the phone, has a think. What’s he meant to be doing?

Ah yes! Converting to Potatoism!

He strides manfully out of his apartment after talking whatever money he can find lying about, and heads to the nearest café, picking up a bag of potatoes on the way from any open shop. He orders a coffee, and sits down to look around him. Does anyone look approachable and likely to be interested in potatoes?

(before doing this, he chooses the spell Enchant Potato!)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 06, 2014, 01:10:04 pm »

John knows exactly what will cheer James up.

"Come now, James. I know just the place to go in this kind of situation."

James does not resist, and nobody sees fit to stop the two from going anywhere, so they move out from the hospital into the now-lively streets and head over to Chow's Chow, where John gets him a big bowl of chow, although James refuses to speak and doesn't order a drink. Or look at the chow, for that matter. He seems a bit more down than expected, even with the amazing chow right in front of him.

Hm. James' emotions may be a tad more complex than his, the still slightly drunk John thinks.

Dave, after a moment's consideration of where he needs to go next, begins to think of how to not completely flop his next introduction. He blames the clown, personally. Nobody wants to greet a clown with anything but pure suspicion under the best of times, least of all when they are inexplicably intertwined with the body of an otherwise normal human being. So he focuses on reversing this change.

Well, sort of. He doesn't actually focus, but rather decides to prepare to focus. He guesses it's similar to a portal spewing thylacines out of his buttocks in both basic pathology and general unsightliness, so he supposes he just need to collect his thoughts and command his body to return to the way it should be, right?

A multitude of Larries are almost on the verge of partaking of more of this holy water of the Oldthinker, but then think better of it. Instead, a sizable number of them produce their respective binders, and proceed to smash their faces into it, thinking happy thoughts of angels!

[Larry's mind roll: 1-->1+1+8]

Nothing happens, though, so the Larries think nothing of it and close their binders, and silently wonder why they cannot be the singular Larry who is currently getting some rather than the many that instead are trying to research magic at a time like this. Then again, their perceptions are entirely or at least partially shared, so they console themselves with the thought that they're indirectly experiencing all that the other, cooler Larries are. In a way, anyway.

As Eta and Officer Rieux speak, they make their way inside the hospital, which seems to be quite busy with the current emergency efforts. So busy, in fact, that handing Lois off to the emergency room is almost an automatically handled thing - nobody really asks any questions aside from her name, which Officer Rieux provides, and they just get down to business after that, delivering her to the appropriate location. After this, the officer turns to Eta.

"So, when are we going to meet this Joan? I can manage things in one and a half hour if I rush, but later can work as well if you want. I would prefer if we set a specific time, at any rate."

She looks at her watch.

"It's a quarter to three now, so how about we meet in four-thirty over on Jew Street? There's no landmarks to meet at there, so we'll probably have to use our best guesses where to meet or pick a nearby, more recognizable place. What do you think?"

As Halesey rises from his private time of potatoes and enchantment, he quickly looks around his apartment for money, quite stereotypically finding only a few dollars in the couch. Perhaps he needs to do something more profitable than mere heaven-trashing and chronic potato abuse with his time. Indeed, this may be the case. But as reasonable as this piece of advice may be, Halesey shall not follow it today, for he has people to convert! And so he takes to the streets, realizing that there's a perfectly wonderful cafe that's been on the first floor of his apartment building for very long now. It seems to just be called Cafe, or at least that's what the sign says, so he heads right in. Surely there shall be people worth speaking to in this place.

The interior of the cafe, Halesey notices, is quite cozy, though also rather humble. A nice, proper cafe this undoubtedly is. It also seems to be empty, a rather bored and dirty young man standing by the counter, staring at the nearby coffee machine, then switching to staring at donuts, then deciding to look over at the price listing, which is conspicuously bare.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 06, 2014, 01:20:30 pm »

"I am terrible at deception, unfortunately. It is why I have not done well at fitting in so far!"
Well then, this is the perfect opportunity to practice! C'mon, I'll introduce you.

Drag whatever this guy's name is over to my magical acquaintances.

Joan, Nigel, meet ... this guy. Don't know his name. He knows magic too, apparently, and I thought we should join up! More power in numbers after all.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 06, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »

Well then, this is the perfect opportunity to practice! C'mon, I'll introduce you.

Drag whatever this guy's name is over to my magical acquaintances.

Joan, Nigel, meet ... this guy. Don't know his name. He knows magic too, apparently, and I thought we should join up! More power in numbers after all.

"Indeed! Don't mind me, profl-profriends! Yes, quite. I'm Pete, and I know much magic, and I wish to join up with your fabulous enterprise for all the right reasons!" Hungry Pete agrees in a shrill tone.

"Didn't you tell me to fuck off moments ago?"

"Oh no, that was my other personality. Totally different now, I promise!"

"I like him, Nigey! A mixture of disdain and implied insanity! You'll be fantastic to drink with."

"Oh, I only drink milk."

Joanie becomes dead serious suddenly.

"Well then, son, you'd best mosey on along before there's any trouble, you hear?" she affects a bizarre half Southern, half New York accent.

"But-"

"Even Nigey here's drinkin', and ain't nobody who ain't drinkin' gonna sit at this counter. Under pain of death. That clear?"

Hungry Pete looks dejected, turning around and beginning to walk off while Joanie eyes him warily.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 244