Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Blood of Armok with Tankers to fill your magma channel  (Read 2309 times)

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using Blood of Armok with Tankers to fill your magma channel
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:25:20 pm »

Okay, I looked all over the place to find a detailed instruction on how to do this safely, with no luck. I ended up incinerating one of my dwarfy kids and melting a tank cart somehow. Here are my suggestions for anyone who would like to do it.

Version 3e: Run 'feature list' in DFHack then type 'feature show #' where # is the entry for 'the subterranean water'. This will allow you to build magma powered buildings.

Version 3f: Just research the liquid spawner as Meph says below, that should unlock your magma powered buildings.

[EDIT] Silentdeth recommended using single tile holes below, which will avoid the magma sloshing out of the pit. Otherwise the instructions will still work, and may even be easier to accomplish. Just plan out where you want your workshops first.
Dig a 3x3 magma cistern, with your magma channels branching off of it, one floor below your workshops (as usual). You'll need magma safe bridges or floodgates to allow the magma in the cistern to fill up first, to minimize evaporation. Or don't, and it will just take longer, depending on your channel size. It may never fill if it is too big.  Channel out a 3x3 hole on the workshop floor, over the cistern.

Build (b) a construction (C) called a Track (S)top, setting it to (d)ump toward the hole. Do this several times for faster filling.

Build an Alchemist (other magma-powered workshops can fill tanks too) nearby. You'll want the dorfs to move quickly back and forth.

Forge several Tanker Carts - it requires Metalcrafting at a forge. I recommend Magma Safe, though it shouldn't matter. (Silent explained why magma spilled out of my cistern, and why I melted my cart. Simple fix, but using magma safe materials will still help prevent accidents if you have the materials.)

Set up a hauling route for each Track Stop. Press (h), make a new (r)oute, make a new (s)top. Press (enter) and (x) to remove all the commands in each stop you make, you don't need them.

Select each stop in turn and press (v) to select which cart is assigned to that stop.

Now, if you tell your alchemist to start filling tankers, as they fill, your haulers will haul them to the track stops and dump them. This prevents issues with minecart-related injury/death. If they're only three steps away, it's not a big problem.

Fill your cistern and open the floodgates. Most (all?) magma powered buildings need 4/7 magma below them to operate.

Any tips I missed would be appreciated. It was a big hassle just to fill enough to work with. Especially because I hadn't discovered the use of hauling routes or minecarts yet. I say, do it once to show you can, then use DFHack liquids after that. -.- Maybe this isn't the fastest or best way to do it, but maybe it will help someone.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:33:37 pm by masterdiscord »

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
Re: Using Blood of Armok with Tankers to fill your magma channel
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:26:53 pm »

Just did a 1x1 channel where the impassable tile for the magma workshop is, build a track stop to dump into it, and a route with 1 stop on the track stop. Then assign a magmatanker to the route, it will be emptied as soon as it is placed. Deconstruct the track stop and build the magma workshop over the hole, rinse and repeat. Filling the magmatanker should have enabled the magma workshops, but I guess that didn't make it into this version even though I wrote the script to do so a while ago...
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:07:22 pm »

Good instructions. :)

One point I want to add:
Run 'feature list' in DFHack then type 'feature show #' where # is the entry for 'the subterranean water'. This will allow you to build magma powered buildings.
Dont do this. It is already integrated into the mod, as soon as you researach the Liquid Spawner the "featurelua magmaWorkshops" is automatically run. No need to cheat. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 11:58:52 pm »

Ah. I'm still working with 3e, so it didn't require research and the magma workshops weren't enabled by default. I'll edit.

And it would probably work to use single spaces for workshops, I hadn't thought of that. I use tunnels in order to allow me some flexibility with what shops I use and how many.

Is there a way to avoid spilling magma outside of the hole? I ended up with some on the tracks, that's why one of my tankers melted.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 12:55:24 am »

Is there a way to avoid spilling magma outside of the hole? I ended up with some on the tracks, that's why one of my tankers melted.

This is why it is best to use 1x1 holes. The magma comes out instantly, faster than it can spread if there is any already in the hole. With a 1x1 hole it fills it full with no spillage.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 03:29:20 pm »

That makes sense, so it really DOES backwash, in a way. Unintuitive I guess, but I understand the problem now.