Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Masters of Manipulation OOC and Player Application Thread  (Read 3220 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Masters of Manipulation OOC and Player Application Thread
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:25:12 pm »

Game Thread

Current rules for Masters of Manipulation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:12:14 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Manipulation OOC
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:29:04 am »

Yeah, I actually agree about the attributes and wanted to change that but I'm not sure yet what a good way of going about it is. If you have a recommendation, I'd appreciate it in the OOC thread where the other players can see it and possibly voice their opinions as well. Personally I was thinking lowering it to 1/10.

First, need to clarify what you mean. What the rules say is:

"Attributes and skills raise after being used ⅕ times the level rounded up"

So...I would think that with 30 in an attribute, one fifth of 30 is 6, so it would take 6 skill uses to increase the attribute. But that's not what we're seeing in game. If you check the current turn, for example, Trisha used persuasion once, and now has 30 with 1/15 progress. Where is the 15 coming from? Isn't one fifth of 30, six? Korgoth used manipulation once and went from 10 to 10 with 1/10 progress. Where is the 10 coming from? Isn't one fifth 10 ten, two?

Suggestions:

First, do the ratio like the rules say rather than the way you've been implementing them. (One fifth of current value) skillgains required for a levelup.

Second, make those skillups required to increase an attribute usefully rather than required us to get 9 useless "levelups." Since 30 and 39 give exactly the same benefit in game, there's no need to multiple everything by ten simply for the sake of dividing by ten and rounding off when doing die rolls.

Third, eliminate the redundant digit. Make an attribute value of 1 give  +1, 2 give +2, etc.

Fourth, maintain the same ratio above. What was (one fifth) with the extra digit becomes (times 2) without it.

End result:

Attribute of 1 requires two skill uses to increase to 2
Attribute of 2 requires four skill uses to increase to 3
Attribute of 3 requires six skill uses to increase to 4

etc.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:07:28 pm »

You caught me :P
Originally it was 1/2 which I almost immediately thought to be a ridiculously long method of leveling up skills so I switched it to 1/5 but had yet to implement it. Perhaps a good thing considering I'm now about to attempt implementing a different method anyway.

I'll try out your suggestion assuming no players have any objections. My only hope is that it doesn't make it too easy to level up. I kind of worry that making things too easy removes some of the excitement that is a part of reaching new skill levels. Still, I suppose the higher skills will still take a decent amount of time to achieve, so it should work out. Perhaps I'll limit skill progress to 1 per turn. So you can progress from 1/5 to 2/5 but you can't use the skill multiple times in a turn and progress from 1/5 to 4/5.

At any rate, I must admit I like this method for the fact that it reduces my book keeping.

Edit: Everyone OK with the way Manipulation works so far in the rules? I know some of the creation stuff is expensive but I like it that way. You shouldn't be making god objects and giant demon armies too easily.

Edit: Looks like Encumbrance mechanics will also need to be overhauled but that shouldn't be too hard.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:14:16 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:21:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The main reason I got the OOC thread up was actually so people could let me know if they think anything is wrong with the rules. Hopefully in time it will serve more purposes than that.

The escaped lunatic is someone I know in real life whom I recommended getting a bay12 account to. I sent him a txt but if he doesn't hurry up with his turn, I may skip him and just do the rest of your turns. If it's a continuous thing with him not posting turns, I'll give his position to someone else.

Yeah, I actually agree about the attributes and wanted to change that but I'm not sure yet what a good way of going about it is. If you have a recommendation, I'd appreciate it in the OOC thread where the other players can see it and possibly voice their opinions as well. Personally I was thinking lowering it to 1/10.

Diseased Man Manipulation was a typo, I took the base template off an already made one and lowered all the stats to 5 in order to make it an easy initial encounter. Unfortunately, it seems I forgot to remove the Manipulation skill. Ironically enough, your teacher had the same stats except with 20 Manipulation but that's past now.

You can drain life for Manipulation from other people if they are willing living targets only. Otherwise the target needs to be deceased, in which case you Manipulate the "matter" or the total HP the character had before dying. So with Griffinpup, the Manipulation he attempted to cast on the target to heal would have taken in the target's initial max health into consideration for the Manipulation. That target has very low initial HP so it would have been enough to heal assuming a good skill roll but it would not have been enough for armor. Creating things like equipment or enchanting basically has a 10hp/1 point of effect type of ratio. So 10hp/ 1 point of damage for a weapon or 1 point of protection with armor.
So it's not really doing damage that allow's spell casting. It's utilizing a portion of yourself or of the target as fuel for the casting.

Natural healing works by resting, eating, drinking and visiting healing clinics (I was going to mention this in a post soon anyway but I should have done so earlier). Otherwise the healing "magic" works by taking "matter" or health from a target either willing or dead and transforming that matter into yourself which heals wounds. The actual rate for drain healing is currently 1/1 assuming success and if you roll very high 17-20, you get 2/1 health exchange but that is unreliable so I'm hoping it will prevent abuse. If there is abuse it may be subject to change with 1/2 exchange and 1/1 exchange on high rolls. You can't heal yourself with your own health though. That would be akin to removing kidneys from yourself and putting them back in to practice surgery skills.

Manipulation is mental in practice but usually the process has visual effects. For example, you wouldn't need to hold up your hands and make elaborate gestures to cast Manipulation but the target and yourself might glow if you were "draining health."

The time mechanic goes with "Universal Time". That's not the time of any one planet in particular but an overall mechanic I came up with because it helps prevent one player from running 10 miles in a turn and another sipping a drink. Unfortunately while it seemed a great idea on paper, it does limit me a bit as far as what everyone can achieve at certain points in time. I'm considering scrapping it or unfortunately giving some people shorter, more frequent updates and other longer less frequent updates depending on what is currently being done.

As an aside, the 1 turn per week isn't by any means a permanent thing or something I chose. It's a matter of recent laptop difficulty and not being able to access a computer on a predictable basis. I could see that you were genuinely frustrated by that and I'm going to try to work something out where I use Google docs instead of Microsoft word and write up updates on library computers as they are available. I want you to understand that is actually going to be somewhat stress inducing for me and it won't always be an option but I'm going to try it because I understand you feeling frustrated and I want to do something about you expressing that to me.

Finally, these messages contain some very useful information for the other players. Would you be okay with me copying this conversation and posting it for the others to see?
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 12:42:18 pm »

I'll try out your suggestion assuming no players have any objections. My only hope is that it doesn't make it too easy to level up. I kind of worry that making things too easy removes some of the excitement that is a part of reaching new skill levels. Still, I suppose the higher skills will still take a decent amount of time to achieve, so it should work out. Perhaps I'll limit skill progress to 1 per turn. So you can progress from 1/5 to 2/5 but you can't use the skill multiple times in a turn and progress from 1/5 to 4/5.

...well, ok...but...what I proposed, it would take 20 skillgains to go from +1 to +5. With a limit of one skillgain credit per updates, and assuming two updates per week, that's two and a half months. If only one update per week, it's five months. How long do you expect this forum game to last? It's entire lifetime? Because the average game probably only lasts a month or two.

And incidentally, that "two and a half to five months per skillgain" assumes skill uses for the same skill every single turn, which is unlikely for everything except the manipulation skill. Korgoth engaged in combat, so he managed to get credit for 4 different skill uses. I managed to use one. And half your players didn't use any skills at all.

My only hope is that it doesn't make it too easy to level up.

As is, skillgains are irrelevant and I don't even know why we're discussing them. Korgoth made a full +1 dagger for 10 points of sacrifice. Do item bonuses stack? Because if I can make, say, a +1 persuasion ring one turn and a +1 persuasion necklace the following turn for a net +2, there's no point at all in me trying to make a point to use persuasion on someone every turn for months and months of real life time just to get a skill gain.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »

Okay, how about two fixes for that then.

I redact the limit of 1 skill progress per turn and I'll increase the cost of creating items that affect skill bonuses (not damage bonuses or armor bonuses). So still 10 health for +1 damage or armor but perhaps 100 health for +1 skill. Really you might not even have to create an actual item. Perhaps just absorbing enough energy from other people let's you raise skills. That would enable somewhat faster but more costly leveling.

As far as how long I hope this to last... well I really want to keep this alive until people lose interest. I've had this concept in mind for a while and I genuinely do enjoy tweaking it to make it better and writing up the updates.
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 07:40:29 pm »

Can we get an overview of the economy? What can I buy with copper? How much do things cost? Liam paid 5 copper for a glass of whiskey, but 50 copper was apparently the combined life savings of both myself and my instructor combined.

How much to buy a car? Do cars exist? Are they wheeled, or flying? This is apparently a high tech society capable of interplanetary travel, but we're still using metal coins for currency. Does banking exist? Is there a stock market? Are there credit cards? Can we take out a loan? If we want to buy something expensive do we have to bring in wheelbarrows full of heavy metal coins, or can we use credit/check/etc? Are there higher denomination coins? Silver? Gold? What are the conversion rates?

At present we have no idea how the economy works. Would you fill in the blanks? We've lived here our entire lives. Presumably we would know these things.

What are typical prices for:

* Dinner at an average, middle class restaurant
 * A bicycle
 * A car
 * A plane
 * A spaceship
 * A computer
 * One night hotel stay
 * International airfare
 * Interplanetary travel
 * A house, to buy it
 * A house, to rent it
 * Middle class clothes
 * A business suit
 * A fancy dress

Need a general overview of the economy.

Also, what about technology? Again...supposedly this is a society capable of interplanetary travel, but we're using copper, and there's been no indication of any kind of advanced banking. We know there are roads, but would I be more likely to see a automobile or a horse drawn cart? Does air travel exist for the common man? Is it done via jet aircraft? Propeller craft? Or is there a magitek system based of manipulation, and every pilot is a manipulator? Or is air travel pointless because teleportation is common? What about personal weapons? Will we see people with swords walking down the street? Do guns exist? Lightsabers? Orbital particle beam cannons? What re these "manipulation created weapons" you mentioned nd do they exist alongside older tech? What is communication like? Do people have cellphones? Do phones exist? Is there an internet? Television? Radio? Pony express? How does communication happen here?

Need some worldbuilding. In World lore you explain that we're "past" the age of technology...but I'd like a better overview of what we can expect.

What is the role of government in this society? You mentioned at one point that manipulators are generally regulated and people who train with the college of manipulators are tightly controlled, but so far Trisha is the only one for whom an explanation has been given as to how she avoided registration. Is there a central world government? Is there a single interplanetary government that governs all three worlds? If not, are the different governments friendly or antagonistic with each other? Is there a police force? Is there a military? Centralized governments, or is every city state run by a separate fuedal warlord? Or we do have an "every man for themselves" frontier west? If we go into town and start blowing people up, what sort of opposition could we expect? Huddled townsfolk with knives? Gun in every house? Organized police force with heavy weapons and void beasts on leashes? Airstrikes? Organized manhunts in the form or people on horseback chasing us? Instant satelite imagery of our face and activities broadcast on national television?

Need worldbuilding. We don't know anything about this place.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »

Also, in the most recent update I have 1/4 progress for manipulation:

Manipulation: 2 (¼)

But I've used manipulation twice:

while siphoning the animal and performing your Manipulation.
(Manipulation roll 16+1=17)

drain the corpse lying in the bed. (Manipulation roll 14+2=16)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 12:01:12 am »

To be honest I kind of make up prices as I go along but for a basic "food" or "drink" it's about 5 to 10 coppers. Think of that as paying for a basic meal like bread or a hunk of meat or something else. Exactly what food you get is basically just fluff, the important thing is you got one food item which would help heal. A slightly nicer meal might be 15 to 20 coppers and and even more expensive might be like 30 to 50 coppers. Think real life if you bought a cheaper meal it might only be five or ten dollars but a more expensive meal like a nice steak with some lobster might be more around thirty dollars and at some places more if you are paying for atmosphere.

50 copper isn't necessary his life savings, that's just what your followers found when they searched the house. Further searching might yield more items or it might not if he hid his valuables outside the house. Also keep in mind, he took you in because he was desperate for money. That means he probably needed the money to spend on something, not just that he likes the way it looks lying in his money box.

Cars like vehicles do exist but are very rare. The majority of transport is composed of flying air/space ships of varying sizes. Taking a commuter ship isn't too expensive and could be compared to taking a bus but riding on the larger ships to get to another planet would be more like an expensive plane ticket. Actually buying a ship is very expensive and usually something only the rich people can afford. Like I said I don't actually have actual price listings written down anywhere but I would probably be thinking around 10 gold for a smaller ship that could hold around 10 people comfortably. Cars are kind of antiquated and you wouldn't really go to a store to buy one but you might find one lying around somewhere if you go about looking.

Banking does not exist in the way we have it today but there would be vault like places where you could pay someone money to hold onto your belongings and loans would be something certain people would be willing to give, especially in the criminal world but with interest. There isn't a stock market or credit cards and the really important people who have lot's of influence, most likely don't even use money, they are probably government regulated Manipulation practitioners who have the government take care of whatever they need and only care about "blood slaves" as currency.

The exchange rate for money is 100 copper for 1 silver and 100 silver for 1 gold and 100 gold for 1 platinum. You are unlikely to need wheelbarrows of coins for expensive purchases because you would just exchange your less valuable currency for more valuable currency. That could be done at a local government official building which would specialize in doing so. Also by the time you actually have enough money where exchanging large amounts is a problem, you probably have followers or workers to go about performing the exchange for you... actually you all already have some followers, so yeah that probably won't be a problem.

A lot of the prices I come up with are somewhat based on real life prices of items but here are some basic outlines.
Bikes really don't exist, you could make one with Manipulation but you wouldn't buy one.
A small ship would be about 10 gold
A computer would be a couple silvers most likely
Hotels depend heavily on the type of location you are staying and how nice it is - for a tavern type of place it would probably just be around 15 to 25 ish
International travel is pretty cheap, think bus type prices in modern day, so it would cost some coppers depending on the distance
Interplanetary would be a few silver
Houses and apartments, think real life price in money costs but with more really cheap options for the lower classes
Clothing is a little more expensive then food being around 20 coppers for cheap clothing and maybe a silver or two for really nice clothing

Yeah I know I don't give too many exact numbers above but I'm going to be making that stuff up when you actually go looking to buy it and a lot of it will depend on what area you are when purchasing and other factors. For the most part I base prices off real life price equivalents to a limited degree.

Technology is advanced in that you can make whatever you want but it's set back by the fact that everything requires sacrifice now. Something functioning like a gun is possible to make but very expensive to create in sacrifice so swords and other less advanced types of equipment are a far more common thing to see. Most armies are outfitted with lots of grunts with armor and shields backed up by very effective siege units that might launch blasts of plasma. Higher ranking officials might be given a spear that shoots lightning in addition to being well crafted for melee combat but that would be too expensive to mass produce and give to the lower ranking people.

The reason there aren't things like official banking and the money used is metal coins, etc is because society kind of fell apart after the void wars. Yeah a lot of it doesn't make sense but society is kind of wacky right now run by crazy despots who run around sacrificing people to make shiny new toys or whatever and they generally couldn't care less about if things make sense or are run smoothly because all they are concerned about is that the sacrifices keep pouring in and that they remain in power. (Besides it makes running the game simple for me  ;))

The government is comparable to an oligarchy with multiple dictator like guys running individual areas but getting together in councils to determine bigger government related things. The head council person would be very powerful but not exactly a supreme ruler. Government activity is very prevalent and things are sort of like in martial law police state mode. There are lots of soldiers policing the cities and rebellion isn't that common because the gov is ruling by fear and most people would rather be under the rule of the crazy government people that they actually understand then the Void beings that terrify and confuse them. Since the Void wars are still pretty fresh in everyone's heads it makes the atmosphere and everything very fearful. Each of the planets has their own council running it with a Grand Council running all three planets. There is a bit of competition between the different leaders though, especially the more nationalistic ones.

Manipulation is heavily regulated by the government. Since it can do anything, there's a lot of fear about unlicensed practitioners running about doing whatever they want. All the licensed ones have to actually work for the government and perform lots of tasks vital to keeping society running. They make all the big stuff while the people who don't know Manipulation perform lesser tasks. For example, a Manipulation practitioner working for the government might create a machine that paves roads but it requires 3 people to operate that machine which would be where the common people come in to work. There might be machine that takes in energy to create weapons but it would require common people to keep the machine fueled and make sure it doesn't overheat or whatever.

Manipulation created weapons really encompasses everything. Swords, cannons, laser beams and all that is created by Manipulation. Everything is created by Manipulation. The age of technology is past because everyone forgot how technology works. They became so reliant on Manipulation to make and do everything that now they no longer are able to actually put things together or actually smith swords or manufacture vehicles and all that.

Teleportation is common but much more expensive then traveling with vehicles and is pretty much confined to use by the military.

Uhhh alright that was bit unorganized and I might have missed or glossed over a few points but I hope it helped. I'm very busy lately and the only time I really am able to post huge things like this instead of my regular 2 line posts in late at night around 1-3 when I'm exhausted. Same goes for writing the turns so I'm sorry if I make any mistakes... like yeah your Manipulation skill progress should be higher and I'll change that. So if I missed anything, sorry about that, let me know and I apologize in advance.

Edit: Just wanted to say that it's pretty easy to forge copper coins and even make ones that could fool a government official. Silvers are sort of hard to make where they fool a gov official and after that it gets pretty hard to make good counterfeit money.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:03:12 am by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:04:42 am »

By the way, in order to keep up the updates even away from my home computer, I've started using google docs. Does anyone know if when I create a doc on google "My Drive" does it automatically upload it online so I can access it from different computers like in a library?
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:40 am »

Thank you for the clarifications.

By the way, in order to keep up the updates even away from my home computer, I've started using google docs. Does anyone know if when I create a doc on google "My Drive" does it automatically upload it online so I can access it from different computers like in a library?

If I'm reading this and this correctly, it sounds like by default it does sync, but it can be configured not to if you want it not to.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:48:54 pm »

How close do you need to be to someone to use their life force?
Can you heat things using manipulation? What's that ratio?
Whats the cost to disable a sense for about a minute? Like making a noise so loud people can't hear.
What's the prevelance of animals outside the city?
How big are they?
Can you store life force in items?
What's the price for defying gravity?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »

I hate to give an exact distance for how close but I'd say a couple meters if it's you draining the energy out of someone.

Yeah, you can raise or lower the temperature of things with Manipulation. Setting something on fire might cost around 5 health while giving someone a bad burn might just be around 1 health. It depends on how big the object is you are trying to burn.

Making a really loud noise that just causes temporary hearing loss might be around 2 health but an actual sonic attack that deals damage might cost a bit more.

Natural animals are pretty rare. Your more likely to see some sort of weird monster like things wandering about in the woods caused by warping energies from the void. These would be very variable in size but most would be around human size or smaller.

Yes you can store life force in items if they have been enchanted to hold life force.

The cost of defying gravity is relative to the extent you defy it. If you are just making yourself float for a while or levitating a rock it would be a smaller amount of hp then trying to rip a building out of the ground.

Also don't worry about just trying things with Manipulation. I won't kill you from trying something too big, you'll probably just fail it and lose a few hp.
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 07:19:09 pm »

The cost of defying gravity is relative to the extent you defy it. If you are just making yourself float for a
while or levitating a rock it would be a smaller amount of hp then trying to rip a building out of the ground.

I think that's the point of manipulating gravity, though, rather than trying to move objects by applying force. Moving a 100 ton object shouldn't be any more difficult than moving a one pound object.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »

The cost of defying gravity is relative to the extent you defy it. If you are just making yourself float for a
while or levitating a rock it would be a smaller amount of hp then trying to rip a building out of the ground.

I think that's the point of manipulating gravity, though, rather than trying to move objects by applying force. Moving a 100 ton object shouldn't be any more difficult than moving a one pound object.

This is true to an extent, supposing the 100 ton object and the one pound object are the same size. I would assume that kind of Manipulation use would be based on area affected, just like it would cost more to start a forest fire then to light a candle.

After that is figured out is should probably work on how much you are "shifting" gravity. So outright making something weightless or fall upwards should cost more then just making it weigh less or fall more to the side.

That's how I would imagine it works at least :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: [1] 2