Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More megabeasts surviving worldgen?  (Read 1990 times)

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More megabeasts surviving worldgen?
« on: August 25, 2013, 02:09:18 am »

I habitually make new worlds after a fortress survives a few years and I've noticed that my megabeasts nearly all die out within 100 years.  I prefer at least 150-200 year worldgens so its more populated with FUN things. Is there a setting I could change on the pre-made worldgens that would help them to survive?  Worldgen rarely makes it past 110-120 before stopping due to too few megabeasts remaining.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More megabeasts surviving worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:01:59 am »

The trick is to increase the number of megabeasts but also to increase the number of caves.

Obviously a larger world can house far more megabeasts as they do not bump into each other and civilized nations all the time.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:42:54 am »

Actually those tricks only work to a very minor effect it seems. After dozens and dozens of world gens I've mostly come to the conclusion that megabeast population is as hard to control as necro towers.  I can put a huge number in for them, either the civilizations get wiped out or they all still die. Increasing caves only has a minor change in survival rate (5-8% from what I can tell if you have equal to half again as many caves as beasts). Number of civs seems to play more role than any other.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:31:27 am »

That's what happens when too many entities and megabeasts share the same tiny space, if larger areas of the world are inhospitable to civilizations then you should probably see that greater numbers of megabeasts survive for longer.

minor effect

minor effect is better than no effect. A small world with 30 civs and hundreds of megabeasts will not allow for an age of myth spanning 200 years, that is simply not going to happen without wiping out most of the civs. I can only recommend that you make a custom world gen that has larger dimensions, more everything and just a few civilizations.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:54 am »

Isnt there an option in advanced world gen ro choose what year the gen starts culling megabeast numbers?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 12:17:41 pm »

I think I've discovered why they die out so fast.

This guy showed up in one of my forts recently,

Then, a few ticks later, for discernible reason at all:

BOOM.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:19:09 pm »

This is a titan, not a megabeast. (it dies because the random mat the generator chose for it boils away at room temperature)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:23:57 pm »

I thought titans were megabeasts?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »

I've found that increasing megabeasts and caves has almost no effect.

During several overzealous world-gens, I used a medium region world with 40 civs and 800 megabeasts and just as many semi-megabeasts (with caves) and they STILL all died out by year 70.

My maps were generally exceedingly ugly.

But I imagine this is vanilla behavior?  Not caused by Masterwork?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 12:37:49 pm »

No. Titans are procedually generated, like FBs, megabeasts come from the raws.

Are you sure they all die? I usually have many megabeasts alive, and I put 200 of them in my preset worlds. Short histories are the key, I never play old worlds.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »

I've found that increasing megabeasts and caves has almost no effect.

During several overzealous world-gens, I used a medium region world with 40 civs and 800 megabeasts and just as many semi-megabeasts (with caves) and they STILL all died out by year 70.

your problem would be the 40 civs, megabeasts compete with civs for space so a lower amount of civs should enable megabeasts to survive longer as it takes longer for civs to cover the map in settlements.

*EDIT* As a proof of concept i made a quick alteration of garden of gaia. I limited the number of civs to 10 and had about 800 mega/semi megabeast caves. Hit age of legends at year 243, stopped generation at 250. All of the civs survived except the automatons that died in year 27, no frost giants appeared as there were not enough civs to have one for every race as i forgot to disable ashlander elves.

Summary: there are over a hundred dragons, 91 titans, over 60 metal colossi of various kinds, 35 roc, about 300 giants and various other mega/semimegas still alive. There are also huge numbers of liches, vampire lords and various other nasties around. There are 708 lairs on the map, 516 fortresses, 262 shrines,14 tombs and 4 towers.

The ashlander elves are ruled by a dwarf
The gnomes are ruled by a sky giant
The goblins are ruled by a lich (Reminds me of the order of the stick webcomic)
The orcs are ruled by an elf
The warlocks are ruled by a cursed blacksmith
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:40:43 pm by Varyag »

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:28 pm »

The goblins are ruled by a lich
...now I really want to play an adventure mode in this world: create a dwarf, name him Durkon, become a vampire and after that, kill this lich.