Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HTML/Javascript Game Quest!(Alien)  (Read 585 times)

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
HTML/Javascript Game Quest!(Alien)
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:50:10 pm »

Ok so I've just read Aquizzar's thread and i'm very much in the same boat, although I had a staggered interest in programming. I learnt on an off for the past 5 years, i'm still bad.

However, I've had this project in mind for quite a while, and my skills have been notched up to scratch enough to do it. It's nothing difficult, infact it's probably one of the easiest games to code you will ever see, to me it's the beginning of using what has been my hobby for many years, programming on a subject I enjoy, Games!!

1) I won't be selling a thing, if you're stupid enough to buy anything I make, I'd feel stupid taking any money from you. This is not a commercial enterprise in any way shape or form.

2) I will be going from scratch again to fine tune up my programming skills before properly engaging in the nitty gritty of this, so this is fairly early(a month?) prior to any real programming on the game will get done. So this will not get done quick.

3) For the forseeable future I have a lot of time on my hands. I can and will devote time to this project.

4) Advice is welcome, but I think mainly advice on gameplay, the programming i'll be doing myself.

5) While I could code this project right now, I want to make it as good as I can. However In this next phase of learning, I will complete it. I will force myself to use the tools I have at hand in terms of online resources, books etc and finish it. I won't stop, decide to use something more complex and rewrite the whole thing.

6) I'm an amateur. Completely. This is a hobby, I'm not pretending to be a real developer or even imagining I ever could be one. I'm comfortable leaving it a hobby! This is a challenge to me, and I don't pretend it will be easy.

Why am I writing this here?

Two reasons, game ideas from you guys!, and as a motivational tool to record my progress.

Onto the project

Remaking an old Spectrum classic on PC with a few additions.
This is far from my only idea, but this is one I'm happy to single out as a nice first major project.

Alien - ZX Spectrum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65jIrUfp58

Game features planned:

A 2d rpg style survival game based on the film alien in which you must escape the ship and/or kill the alien.

-All the characters of the film/game in with statistics and skills.
-Alien 'roaming' AI(not just random events)
-Basic crafting(Motion scanners, flame throwers)
-A random 'Traitor'
-Randomised elements(the level to be determined, at least random placement of items)

Other ideas that may or may not be used:

-Welding doors and vents. Everybody loves welding am I right?
-'Realistic' Alien lifecycle
-Sounds
*More when I remember them.

Why this?

I love the game, I'm a HUGE Alien/Aliens/Alien3 fan and it's simple in comparison to larger projects.

Why should I care?

You aren't obligated to care. You really aren't. If I got 0 ideas from the community on this it wouldn't sway me a tad in either direction. It's a personal project and learning experience! I'm hoping I'll have something good to share at the end of it!

Dev map thingy

This Monday I begin serious preparation and development of this. **
I estimate 1 month of re-learning, learning and tinkering to be ready to actually code the game.
1 month to finish it.
Barring any 'life events', this seems pretty reasonable to me.

**Serious as in, I devote time each day to the project and not just half ass either the learning or coding.

Lets say October 24 is my goal to finish this completely.
If it falls behind this, thats not an issue, but I will aim to finish it by then to give myself a timeframe in which to complete the project and not let it dangle free forever.

All ideas welcome! Gameplay ones very welcome, I'd like to make it as gameplay rich as I can, as thats the meat of what is essentially a very simple RPG game. Alien fans unite.

P.S.

I don't expect any input whatsoever on this until i've posted a few updates in a couple of weeks(at least), so don't feel bad ignoring this thread for a while, or completely.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:15:04 am by Grand Nagus »

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HTML/Javascript Game Quest!(Alien)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:48:16 pm »

Day 1

As part of learning in one of my JS books, am making an 'interactive story'.
Hostage negotiation.

Just as I was gearing down to go to bed I made a bug where the items were un usable, deleted the code for items and will redo it tomorrow.

*ps. 'It' is a typo, just noticed 'it'. Also I hate the placeholder UI I 'borrowed' its horrid. I'll be making alterations
**I'm actually considering moving straight onto my main project, I've not really learned anything new yet.

Moving on to using a different library, one more valid. Starting to code the main project tomorrow.

First things first, the map.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:54:32 pm by Grand Nagus »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:24:02 am »

What are you using to code this? :)

And good luck :D

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:02:30 pm »

Javascript!
I'm gonna need it.

Day 2
Not much progress today. Gathered some pictures and materials for UI elements and such.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:04:44 pm by Grand Nagus »