Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Board Organisation - Good as is, or could be better?  (Read 1256 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Board Organisation - Good as is, or could be better?
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:33:41 am »

Just wanted to know if the state of the Masterwork board is ok as it is. As of late I have seen many random threats popping up, and other, designated threads disappear. I myself have opened quite a few threats about some ideas, and all in all its a bit chaotic. We even have a succession fort thread here now.

So, does anyone have a good idea for a better sorting? I can ask Toady for as many sticky-threats as I like. Like: "Announcements/News", and one for "Current Poll". Future of The Mod or something like that.

It also appears that many people rather open a new thread for a single question instead of asking in the DWARF/KOBOLD/ORC QUESTIONS threats... no idea how to make those more obvious. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Board Organisation - Good as is, or could be better?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:30:08 am »

Single topic threads just make more sense to many of us. Easier to search for, easier to find. I understand your desire to keep things organized but questions get overlooked when the Gameplay threads get moving quick. Many forums have a strict 'one question per thread' rule, so that's what some people are trained to do.

The problem is titles like 'help!' that are completely nondescript. That's why I try, when making a new thread, to make the title clearly identify the topic.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:58 am »

I agree that having all the important threads like bug reports, releases, general discussion and the community projects thread could be stickied. If possible it would be nice if there was a subforum for the masterwork mod subforum for masterwork succession forts or a stickied thread that lists all the forts.

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:34:23 am »

Id say sticky question threads for each race + technical questions and suggestions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:50:52 am »

Yeah, hehe, a sub-sub-forum. Toady is going to kill me. :P

A thread with all succession fort links sounds like a good idea. I tried to add this to the "Content Repository", but I have a feeling that not many players use it. For sure no one who makes a succession thread has ever said: Please add me to the repository. ^^

Making all races suggestion/question/bugreport + general questions + suggestions would mean 11 threads. Thats 13 with the 2 that are already stickied, almost the entire first page... I cant do that.

Masterdiscord: If all questions are in one place, then people can go there, use the search function and see if their question has been asked before. :P Guess it works with single threads too, because they can only search the board.

Personally, I wouldnt mind a stickied "BUGREPORT" thread, for all races. All bugs get reported there, makes my work a lot easier. Its just that people have to say: Race, Tileset, Modversion... which is something people dont do half of the time. And a "ANNOUNCEMENTS/NEWS/DEVLOG" thing, to allow people to follow the progress. Dont know if that should be a locked or open thread.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

It is good as it is now. No reason to change it too much.

I agree with Vabalokis: some more stickies could be useful. Add
[Dwarf] Bug reports, [Dwarf] Gameplay questions, [Dwarf] Suggestions
[Orc] Discussion
[Kobold] Discussion.

In the Orc and Kobold threads a link to Bugs related topic can be placed in the first message - might need to ask schmakemupagus for his thread.

Haven't seen messages and updates from him for a long time. I wonder when he'll be back from travelling.