Poll

Ceci n'est pas une poll.

oui!
- 17 (60.7%)
aucun!
- 11 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Linguistics: Community Project  (Read 22753 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Linguistics: Community Project
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:05:08 pm »

During a discussion on Dwarven battle cries talk of a fully fleshed out dwarven language appeared. One that would hypothetically be perfectly fit to be spoken conversationally. This idea intrigued me and a few others, so I have created this thread for anyone interested to work on building a Dwarven language from the ground up, either as a long term collaborator or to just drop by and offer suggestions. I won't lie, it is a MASSIVE project. The Dwarven language exists now for the sole purpose of naming sites and people.I have compiled some detailed notes on the language as it exists today spoiler'd below, but the tl;dr version is that the vocabulary is almost entirely nouns and adjectives, and that almost no grammar or mechanics exist. So verbs, forms and tenses, sentence structure and just about everything else will need to be built from scratch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As I see it, our first goal should be establishing verb forms and tenses. Any thoughts?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Linguistics: Community Project
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:05:43 pm »

We have a wiki! Check it out for an in-depth explanation of new proposals and accepted standards without having to slog through the forum thread.
The DF Languages Wiki
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:20:41 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Naharl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »

If you want to start proper with the linguistics, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

You could base dwarven speech on a particular set of sounds that already exists or existed in some real human language.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »

I didn't include it in my notes, but Dwarven speech as it is currently is pretty heavy on diacritical marks. mostly acutes, commonly seen in Western European languages, and the ring (å) which I am less familiar with. It seems to be more prominent in Scandinavian languages and older Eastern European ones. Umlauts and graves are seen with reasonable frequency too, so phonetically I see it being pretty diverse. The direction it eventually takes could easily end up being down to flavor.

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:00:18 pm »

I imagine dwarven as being a very regular language.
If I were to build a dwarven language, I would probably base it on ancient greek and hebraic grammatics (and not only because I know them).

My suggestion is to define suffixes, both verbal and nominal.

Also, would dwarven have a explicit neutral gender? It would save some work by hiding the neutral in one of the other genders like portuguese does (masculine can be both masculine and neutral)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »

Also incredibly useful for conlanging is this page: http://zompist.com/kit.html (which happens to state what Nahari said: start with sounds)

With regard to the missing articles, I personally don't count them out just because they don't yet exist. It seems to me that "The" and "Of" just happen to be omitted from names because the structuring of names is completely regular.

It would be very nice to create different forms for words. I suspect they're absent simply because it was never fully necessary for making the names work. But I'd sure like to see a difference between death the noun, die the present tense, and died the past tense. (Just making stuff up here, "naråsh", "råsh", and "rash" instead of råsh for all those words.)

Also nice would be avoiding a mirror image of English's lexicon. We could separate the meaning of "that" like in French, as a simple example.

English: "I enjoyed that." and "We know the method that will let us win."
French: "J'ai aimé ça." and "Nous savons le mode que laissera-nous gagner." (apologies for any possible French language mistakes, natives of the language)

We could also combine meanings that are represented by different words in English. My point here is that the Dwarven-to-English and vice-versa dictionaries shouldn't have easy lives :) .

Also, here's a list of all the letters used in language_DWARF.txt for the language, unless my quick one-liner ate some of the characters by accident (shouldn't've):

Code: [Select]
a b c d e f g h i k l m n o r s t u v z à á â ä å è é ê ë ì í î ï ò ó ô ö ù ú û
Maybe later I'll write up a quick table of how I think the diacritical letters are supposed to be pronounced, based on both how I read them and what European languages tend to say.

Keep in mind that diacritics don't necessarily have to change sound; in some languages they indicate grammar changes instead. (Such as the diaeresis in French and old English, where it forces syllable separation: co-operation would've once been spelled coöperation.)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:05:08 pm »

Also, would dwarven have a explicit neutral gender? It would save some work by hiding the neutral in one of the other genders like portuguese does (masculine can be both masculine and neutral)
I would think that neutral gender would be the default for dwarves, given how gender-neutral their society is (with the exception of baby-carrying and the parent a dwarven child chooses to follow).

So instead of having masculine / neutral with the feminine specifically noted, you'd have neutral and then both the masculine and feminine specifically noted.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:32:11 pm »

I would think that neutral gender would be the default for dwarves, given how gender-neutral their society is (with the exception of baby-carrying and the parent a dwarven child chooses to follow).

So instead of having masculine / neutral with the feminine specifically noted, you'd have neutral and then both the masculine and feminine specifically noted.
Why stick with actual genders? Perhaps the dwarves, taking a small note from their ethics, distinguish between sentients and non-sentients, with the latter being the majority of word?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:52:29 pm »

True gender-neutral language would have no gender differentiation in words. Maybe a word addition. Like Dwarf-female and dwarf-male. And sheep-male and sheep-female.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:44:29 pm »

I honestly didn't expect this much interest :)

Don't take my word as final, but I think that dwarves would want to be able to express something as concisely and explicitly as possible. That would mean IMO that words wouldn't usually define gender except in certain cases to avoid ambiguity.

With regard to "the," it isn't totally necessary to include. As stated in my notes, a lot of major languages don't have an equivalent. "Of" is essential as I see it though. An equivalent word or construction would have to be created from scratch. Of course, coming up with a way around its use would be awesome.

As far as sound goes, that is a lot more difficult to discuss in a text-only format. I honestly don't know how to approach that at this juncture.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:13 pm »

phonetically?

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 05:39:34 am »

Was musing on something similar (though unrelated) today.

1) plurals.  Two options, a modified version of the base word e.g. goose -> geese or an addon word to the base word goose -> many goose.  other e.gs mouse -> mice or mouse -> many mouse.

2) pronouns.  AFAIK there is no English singular version of the word 'they'.  English has he/she, but no gender neutral singular.  While English has 'it', 'it' never seems to suit to describe a singular 'person' without gender.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 05:39:55 am »

Don't take my word as final, but I think that dwarves would want to be able to express something as concisely and explicitly as possible. That would mean IMO that words wouldn't usually define gender except in certain cases to avoid ambiguity.

I would believe the dwarves would have a complex stressing system with their words. I.e.: dwarf could mean all three genders (male, neutral, female) based on stress of the pronunciation. Complexity and simplicity in one. Armok help you if you tried to read it.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 08:18:18 am »

Some people have already tried that.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108579.0
This thread should give you some ideas to work with.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 09:32:24 am »

I like the idea. A language system could be used in-game, i think.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Although im ignorant of the technical pieces, i'm a portuguese speaker willing to help. If needed, it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11