Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Gaming Setup for 2014 and beyond  (Read 3281 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Gaming Setup for 2014 and beyond
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 05:37:50 am »

Machines I don't already have? I'm planning on getting a Nintendo 64 on some christmas sale, that should net me a few good exclusive titles. Will probably also expand into Dreamcast some time next year largely for the same reasons. And it's very possible that I'll get PS3 and/or Xbox 360 if we're talking at a time frame of 2-3 years. Right now I'm busy enough with their predecessors to even think about upgrading though.
I'd like to think that I'll get a new PC as well, but I've been telling that to myself for a decade and I've always scraped by with some ancient freebies.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 05:47:27 am »

Bought this PC 6 months ago.
I plan on keeping it without upgrading for at least 6.5 years.
I think i still have a Nintendo 64 in one of my closets.
I might buy a Chintendo Vii to play Super Mario Bros out od nostalgia.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 12:03:45 pm »

Just PC for me.  I didn't get enough value out of my PS3 to rationalize getting a new console.  That and I can get games for so ridiculously cheap on the PC makes it hard to convince myself I need anything else.  I probably won't need to upgrade or replace it until 2015.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 01:40:59 pm »

I've always used PC at home. My last two computers were laptops. One lasted about 4 years before it got too far behind (and also I think the heat dissipation hardware was wearing out. I saw a video about thermal gel or something) and my current laptop is good enough to play a whole bunch of new games.

Not new-new, because I stay about 4 years behind the state of the art. Cheaper that way and just as fun. Plus there are new games that aren't resource-intensive (Grimrock, Shadowrun).

I stopped buying into consoles because I realized how many awesome games I could get for the price of the console, and I can get 2-5 PC games for the price of one console game. I'm sure that's changed somewhat with network marketplaces but I think it's still true for recent AAA titles.

The networks, invasive info-gathering, etc. have also turned me off of consoles, but also from organizations like Steam. I want the deal to be very simple: I pay a money, you give me a game, and we part ways. The transaction must not be more complex than handing over a dollar bill for a Slim Jim at a gas station.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 11:14:43 am »

Same as it's been since ... When did the Wii come out? Wii and PSP are my most current consoles. PC is a staple for me and has been for over twenty years.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 01:40:38 pm »

1 PC, 1 Laptop lightly used while travelling.

Theres only 3 console games i'd play: final fantasy, pokemon and (oooold) metroid. No reason to spend money for whole systems.
I don't even own a TV to plug them into.

Not to mention: i played pokemon red and blue ages ago and the new games dont have the same allure for me, and ff7, 8 can be played on PC anyway.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

Same as most, PC suits my needs perfectly. I'm far more happy building a PC exactly like I want than getting whatever a console maker decides I should have, and since I graduated some years ago I don't have meatspace friends to come over and game with. I use a desktop for pretty much everything from gaming to writing and am satisfied with what I have.

The consoles I have are: original NES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, PS2. I got the NES when it was brand new (I still have ROB the robot buddy somewhere with some of the peripherals. No kidding.) and the others were used, work discount, and clearance when PS3 came out, respectively. Nothing on the newer console generations holds my interest enough to spend money (I'd love rock band, but can't justify the investment when I have more pressing needs and PC games are so much cheaper per time yield).

I would like at some point to have an old Dreamcast just because the games are so easy to acquire.. by.. means... but not enough to try and seek one out. Meh.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 02:13:38 am »

never rant while under the influence
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:36:48 pm by freeformschooler »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 04:14:15 am »

Mostly PC and a little 3DS. The temptation being caused by only a few games has stopped me getting a WiiU.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 05:15:58 am »

The fact that the game industry is producing so many more games increases the chance that they will produce something I like. Considering I tend to be more interested in niche concepts/mechanics, this is a good thing for me.
Keep making those games 8)

There is no reason you can't play skyrim or dark souls or torchlight for 500 hours

Really? How about not liking Skyrim/Dark Souls?

I also couldn't imagine playing any game for 500 hours, and I grew up on NES/DOS games. 500 hours is crazy for me, think of the monotony!

Actually related to the thread:

I will be sticking with my almost 3 year old laptop as it still runs everything at mediumish, and will probably do so until it breaks/becomes-overly-obsolete. I have also contemplated buying a second hand PS3 to play a select few games (the only name I can remember off the top of my head is Jungle Tokyo (I think it was called)).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 11:06:30 am »

I'll probably be sticking to pc. Don't really see any exclusives that interest me. I'm planning on getting a new pc next year, so I can finally play the newest games on something other than low, without my pc throwing a tantrum.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.
Pages: 1 [2]