Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SPORE and PlatinumSpore Mod - Plus the annoyance of the 5 key install limit DRM  (Read 19709 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPORE and PlatinumSpore Mod - Plus annoyance of the 5 key install limit
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:39 pm »

I renamed the thread title to something a bit more appropriate, especially since I got the 5 install limit fixed (thanks for that :))

Dunno if PlatinumSpore will be a thing or anything and I don't even know how good it is, but figured I'd make the thread mostly about that. I'll add some facts/link to the OP that I know about the mod, but it will be mostly from comments on Youtube or what I've been told...doesn't seem like a feature list on the mod forum page.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

Back before the local cable provider got bought out by Time Warner Cable, when they found suspicious activity they'd free the internet by making sure that their screen would come up first.  It would detail what they thought had happened, and you'd have to click an Accept button on the C&D, but there wasn't any charges or extra fees. It sounds like you got scammed.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Billing you for torrenting would make them complicit in any court proceedings. They'd be as guilty as you because they don't own the content either. They'd be a bit worse off because money changed hands and the ISP isn't the content owner.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

They'd probably have no problem with whatever fee gets tossed at them, however.
I got a cease and desist order from my internet company and a bill of 50 dollars.

I highly doubt that letter actually came from your ISP, because it's not legal for them to bill you over a C&D. That's extortion. More likely, some group scanning the torrent's peers saw your IP, wrote up an authentic-looking letter pretending to be from your ISP, and sent you a fraudulent letter to scare you into sending them money. I hope you didn't pay it. These scams are the #2 most prevelant at the moment, right behind the classic Nigerian Prince emails.

Looks like BigD's solution might be the best thing for you. Hope it works out!
And yeah, I actually did pay xD
Thats probably the least funny xd I've seen in awhile. :-\
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got scammed then :( At least I didn't give them credit card info or anything, just sent a check. It looked really legit too.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

There is a chance its not a scam. But basically everything related to torrents and getting 'spotted' is a scam, unless its proved otherwise.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

Some torrents are uploaded with a specific tracker that'll allow law enforcement agencies to track it through IP domains and to specific computers.  Mostly movies and music, because those are big budget industries that most complain about pirated materials.  But all they can do is notify the internet provider; cause singular incidents aren't worth enough to press charges against.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, nothing weird or anything is going on with the GA download I got and the PlatinumSpore creator linked it a while back. So all good. I'm not rebuying everything again when I already spent the money lol...thats too dumb.

In the end, I ended up going into EA live chat...2-3 minute wait and got a guy to put my Spore+Creepy and Cute onto Origins. And you know what? If I knew EA even had live support chat...I'd have done that ages ago. It was so quick and the guy was nice. He couldn't put GA onto it though, cause I have no idea where the heck my GA box/discs/cd key is. Probably in a box somewhere when I packed a bunch of stuff up. Even though it "should" be linked on my Spore account (actually might never have installed it rofl), I guess he needed the CD key for it. Ah well. Eventually I'll unpack and find it and actually go into live chat and put the official one on my account.

Oh and funny thing is...I went past my 5 install limit from installing it on Origins. Dunno if that how it works cause I got it copied over to Origins or the guy did something. But, I installed it just fine with the same cd key.

As for PlatinumSpore. I'm too tired for a detailed post...(stayed up to almost 4 am allying the Grox last night and still didn't get quite there :P)

Cell stage: I went Omnivore. Not much has changed. Takes longer to evolve. However, the cell creator is 3d instead of 2d...so you can create rather cool cells. And the higher end parts have special abilities.

Creature Stage: I went Adaptable. This could very well have the best changes in the mod...however Space is really really close to (which I'll talk about soon). The world feels like an actual world. Tons of creatures everywhere, lots of life. A TON of parts to find. And the world is a lot bigger too (but he did make planets 10x bigger). Like Cell, it takes longer to move to the next era (A LOT LONGER)...but very well done. Oh, and like cell stage...higher level parts have special abilities.

Tribal Stage: Very bad. Worst of the changes. Very little is changed...but I beat it in 10 minutes and it was so easy. What was changed, is much bigger unit numbers. Now, other tribes get that too...but don't use the bigger numbers properly. I didn't like it at all. I went friendly.

Civilization Stage: The same pretty much. I went economic route, so that made it take a lot longer and made it a lot harder. But the regular path of religion/military hasn't changed. Pretty much no changes that I could tell/remember.

Space stage: Coming up nearly tied/tied with Creature Stage for the best changes. This one is better changes overall, and along with GA makes space way better. Bigger planets, more tools, more weapons, more (and much better) terraforming and probably has the most changes really.

Granted, its still Spore...and Spore is well...Spore...but at least the mod makes it a lot better. Except tribal stage. But creature/space stages are vastly better in the mod.

Dunno how long I'll play for, but its pretty fun so far. I definitely wouldn't play without the mod again.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Did the space stage controls get any better? I remember them being fairly decent until I actually had to fight something and then it was terrible.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did the space stage controls get any better? I remember them being fairly decent until I actually had to fight something and then it was terrible.

No, it is still the same. And yeah, they are pretty bad when fighting. Its really hard (at least for me) to target the enemy ships if using missiles or lasers.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That pisses me off (rant about Spore and EA phone support)
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:12:04 am »

Regarding the private message I got and some of the comments here...

The reason (well one of them, but its definitely my main reason) I will not use a torrent program (minus the files that often have viruses, but not always) is cause a year and a half ago I downloaded Crysis (yup just the first one. I already bought it, but couldn't find the disc, box, cd key or anything anywhere) and I got a cease and desist order from my internet company and a bill of 50 dollars. The game wasn't even new or anything.

So...not going that route again.
Isnt in it a private life intrusion thingy? It mean they literaly sniffed what you did over the internet wich is heavily frown uppon in like 80% of the countries.

A lot of legit company use torrent and such, just to name one: planet explorer is on the torrent, i think you can even get eve online using torrent.

If you still have that cease and desist thing, go see a lawyer because in my book that should never happen.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once got a cease and desist for downloading Harry Potter.

The funny thing is... I didn't. One of the POSSIBLE files on that torrent was harry potter (It was a torrent with a big bunch of files on it)

Mind you they didn't know what I downloaded they only knew I downloaded something with "Harry Potter" in the description. I would have gotten it if I tried to torrent My Immortal. Ultimately it was just some automated message there to "scare" me.

Isnt in it a private life intrusion thingy?

No, Torrents are 100% public.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:20:35 am by Neonivek »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

Yeah, Comcast sent me a email when someone used my WiFi to download a movie the letter was just pretty much saying don't do it again or w/e but that was the only one I ever got.

Back on topic I'll have to try this mod out I play a spore mod a long time ago that made some of the stages better but not on the scale this one has.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My recommendation in regards to that is basically to always be careful with torrents. Old torrents can be the worst imo. The only time I've ever gotten caught (of course, also the only time I've ever used torrents to violate copyright) was when I had downloaded the first few seasons of spongebob squarepants, then turned my computer on after it being off for almost an entire year and let the torrent run. Got a notice from my ISP that it was detected and to stop.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Spongebob is sorta a popular thing though. in my knowledge, it tends to be less the oldness or newness of the torrent and more how popular it is at the time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3