Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SPORE and PlatinumSpore Mod - Plus the annoyance of the 5 key install limit DRM  (Read 19706 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PlatinumSpore: http://www.sporebase.com/forum/index.php?topic=4263.0 (keep in mind, the old page this mod was hosted on had rogue ads. The mod got moved to this new forum though)...I use an adblocker and script blocker, so I don't know what will be on the forum (if anything). Thought I'd put this here as a warning though.

I'm not sure how good the mod is, or what is all in it. From what I was told, it was much more like how Spore was originally envisioned. But, I'm still in the installing phase of Spore.

Also, this is the "correct" install order (copied from Vexx's post on his mod forum page)

"If you already had the v5.1 patch installed, you need to do a complete reinstall, and install in this order:
Spore -> Creepy and Cute (If you have it) -> GA (Installs Patch 4) ->  Patch 5.1

Otherwise you get godawful glitches thanks to Maxis' terribly outdated programming. :/"

Features (that I know of):
-More in-depth eras of cell, creature (major changes/additions), tribal, civilization (not sure how much was changed here) and space (major focus of the mod)

(all this is space features, not sure what is in the other eras)
-Better terraforming (supposed to be a lot better)
-10 x bigger planets
-more stuff to build on the planet itself
-more tools
-tougher AI ships
-More time/balance between pirate raids and ecosystem disasters

And...that is all I know.

------------------------------------------------------
So now for the original content of the thread which is my rant of having difficulties with the 5 install limit.

Okay, so...yeah Spore didn't live up to the hype and so forth. But one of my friends wanted me to install it (he couldn't find his copy, and he is coming over next week)...I have spore+creature dlc+galactic...I needed both spore and galactic cause PlatinumSpore doesn't work on only vanilla spore (needs GA). And we heard that PlatinumSpore actually makes Spore worth playing.

Okay, so I call up EA and...I ask for them to give me an activation code for Spore (cause I guess I used up the stupid 5 install limit).

And you know what they did?

Gave me a god damn auto response (edit: To expand. It wasn't even a person that answered like how one usually gets when they call support. How lame is that? Granted, I probably called a bit too late in the day (it was a Friday afternoon), but still). I was on hold for literally 27 minutes and 39 seconds (I had a timer going)...and I did not get a damn activation code or an actual person.

Okay so I call again this morning...and was on hold for a shorter time (about half, but the timer ran out of battery)...and...they gave me a code (finally)...oh wait! its already been used! WTF...

And you know what makes matters worse? I'm pretty sure my phone bill (I have a limited amount of call time I can make, I had to greatly downgrade to due to lack of money) is gonna be...

okay so I can get spore and galactic adventures and everything on amazon for 30 dollars.

I went past my talk limit on my cellphone (I don't have a house phone that works). Granted, I had a couple of phone interviews for jobs (last about half an hour. Used skype for one, but thats free :P), but still pisses me off I was on hold for so long with EA to get sh! out of them. And the cd key they gave me probably was used by a damn pirate or something.

I'm pretty sure buying from amazon (cheapest place I see spore at) would be much quicker and in the end, cheaper seeing that my cell usage was higher than normal (they usually charge me 15 dollars if I go over your limit)...and I wouldn't have to sit on the chair waiting for EA to take forever to respond...

Guess spore isn't supported (probably explains the lack of actual person responding when I first attempted), but I spent a lot of money on it way back when. And mostly it was my friend that wanted to play it, but we both wanted to actually try out PlatinumSpore and see how that was. Since like I said, we heard it was much closer to how spore was envisioned. But I'm pretty sure that isn't worth the time and money on the phone...

Well, there goes any hope of buying a game or playing Spore+GA+Platinumspore this month. Only to get a damn unusable cd key...

Probably should have emailed them instead...but it probably be a stupid auto response that every company does...especially since they don't support Spore anymore...at least it would have saved the phone usage, but I figured I'd actually get proper help. Would have been more worth it if they gave a working cd key...

Well, now that the rant is over...that released some anger over this whole stupid EA and Spore...should have just re-bought Spore on amazon for 30 dollars (since it comes with everything)...would have been way easier...and way less stressful. Oh well...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:56:08 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That pisses me off (rant about Spore and EA phone support)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »

What I'd like to know is...why do they still have a stupid activation limit anyway, especially since they don't even support Spore anymore? They should patch it out so people can actually you know...play the game they spent money on without having to deal with their stupid support that doesn't actually support Spore...such a dumb system...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:08:06 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:52:58 pm »

And now you know why Spore is one of the most pirated games of all time - the pirated version is a significant improvement over the EA version.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:58:42 pm »

And now you know why Spore is one of the most pirated games of all time - the pirated version is a significant improvement over the EA version.

Probably. But, I don't have or will ever get a torrent program.

I'll try the email approach with EA and see what happens. I spent literally over 100 usd on spore+expansions, and all I want is to install it, play platinumspore and mess around and see if its actually worth playing again with the mod. Its supposed to be really close to how Spore was envisioned...and if so, definitely be worth playing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:37:50 pm by Vendayn »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »

I had some shenanigans with my Origin account and Battlefield 3 last year and ended up having to contact EA Support.

What eventually convinced them who I was? My Spore CD-Key, which I have sitting in the boxed copy next to me. Literally, no other piece of information would satisfy them until the support person was like...."Can you tell me what your Spore CD Key is?"

I was kind of shocked that EA's records go back that far, but I guess Spore was really the start of EA's monolithic game services.

So I have to give them credit for that, even though I find it a little creepy EA has a longer memory than my state government for some things. Also I have to give belated props to Spore: You may have completely disappointed me as a game, but at least you saved me from having to rebuy Battlefield 3/recreate my whole EA account.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »

Probably. But, I don't have or will ever get a torrent program.

Then your SOL dude, but rethink it maybe?
I got nothing

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:43 pm »

Torrents aren't the only way.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:48:04 pm »

Regarding the private message I got and some of the comments here...

The reason (well one of them, but its definitely my main reason) I will not use a torrent program (minus the files that often have viruses, but not always) is cause a year and a half ago I downloaded Crysis (yup just the first one. I already bought it, but couldn't find the disc, box, cd key or anything anywhere) and I got a cease and desist order from my internet company and a bill of 50 dollars. The game wasn't even new or anything.

So...not going that route again.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:23:06 pm »

There is a deauthorization tool to get back keys. No clue how or if it works still, but it's worth a shot. http://www.spore.com/patch/deauthorization
The fact they have that kind of info on your computer is bullshit. Origin is built on that sort of intrusion.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:05:13 am »

I actually kinda hate torrents and rarely use them. My internet is too crappy to seed stuff anyway.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:33:44 am »

I got a cease and desist order from my internet company and a bill of 50 dollars.

I highly doubt that letter actually came from your ISP, because it's not legal for them to bill you over a C&D. That's extortion. More likely, some group scanning the torrent's peers saw your IP, wrote up an authentic-looking letter pretending to be from your ISP, and sent you a fraudulent letter to scare you into sending them money. I hope you didn't pay it. These scams are the #2 most prevelant at the moment, right behind the classic Nigerian Prince emails.

Looks like BigD's solution might be the best thing for you. Hope it works out!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:35:20 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 11:36:35 am »

I got a cease and desist order from my internet company and a bill of 50 dollars.

I highly doubt that letter actually came from your ISP, because it's not legal for them to bill you over a C&D. That's extortion. More likely, some group scanning the torrent's peers saw your IP, wrote up an authentic-looking letter pretending to be from your ISP, and sent you a fraudulent letter to scare you into sending them money. I hope you didn't pay it. These scams are the #2 most prevelant at the moment, right behind the classic Nigerian Prince emails.

I'll try that deauthorization tool, seems like it could be the best solution.

And yeah, I actually did pay xD

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 05:34:05 pm »

Post unrelated:

Do you have a link to this platinum spore? I haven't been too successful with a google search. one article linked to a defunct domain (taken over by a domain squatter) and a link to the mod directly was lasted updated in 2011. Wasn't sure if that's the most recent version or not since I can't seem to find any official site for it.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:39:24 pm »

In the US sure, but in some parts of the world this is a legitimate practise. Some time back in Sweden they jailed people and confiscated their computers on allegations of piracy.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 06:17:46 pm »

Post unrelated:

Do you have a link to this platinum spore? I haven't been too successful with a google search. one article linked to a defunct domain (taken over by a domain squatter) and a link to the mod directly was lasted updated in 2011. Wasn't sure if that's the most recent version or not since I can't seem to find any official site for it.

Here you go: http://www.sporebase.com/forum/index.php?topic=4263.0

I'm in the process of installing Spore (and GA) now :) I had to download GA though cause the disk didn't work at all. And I already bought it, not going to spend money to have to get it again. I cleaned it (properly) and everything, but it wasn't being found in my dvd drive. Probably a faulty disk, since all my other disks I've used work just fine.
Pages: [1] 2 3