Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tower into the caverns  (Read 2213 times)

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A tower into the caverns
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:34 am »

So i embark on a volcano with virtually not a 3x3 area of flat land around it.
Its glorious. Now if only i could find any metal except for gold and aluminium in which i am basically drowning.

Then theres this tower.
Im not even sure it IS a tower. Its twisted and wound and edged, but from top to bottom it always has 1 up-ramp and 1 down-ramp. Exactly one of each.

It raises 5 z-levels from the ground, the top of the hill that makes up the volcano, and extends down 139 levels where the final down-ramp opens into the caverns.
I cant even tell if its the first or third layer.

Anyone ever seen one of those?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A tower into the caverns
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:09:02 am »

It sounds like a cave to me, they cover multiple z levels, always have a path down and often reach the caverns.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:47 am »

Multiple zölevels is nice, but 140?

Anyways, in the caverns i "discovered a downward passage".
So the tower led into a cave, leading into a cavern, leading into another cave... i have a bad feeling about this, which is no excuse not to send my scouts in.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:20:21 am »

Yup. It's a cave. They can go pretty deep, what you're describing is rare but possible.

Caves inherently aren't dangerous... they can and often are empty. Or they also might be filled with 400 kobolds. Or trolls.

Have Fun.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:21 am »

Im pretty excited, the second passage was a very short cave (2 z-levels) that opened into another cavern layer, and this one contains a "magma pool".
Never had one of those either.
Also theres spiderwebs all over and that usually means theres a spider nearby. A giant one.
And there was a gremlin that somehow managed to disappear when i sent my military after him, and theres a werecat outside that disappeared after kililng my livestock.

Only downside so far is that theres appearently no other civs than the mountainhomes.

Edit: the magma pool terminates in the great magma sea that also fuels my volcano.
And i still dont have any weaponizable metal other than what i got from trade.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:11:56 am by Berossus »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »

You won't see the other civs on your civ screen until their caravans and/or invaders show up
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »

I found my first downward passage in my current game, too.  Beware the forgotten beasts!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:40:32 pm »

Dude, drowning in aluminum? ALUMINUM?

You realize that's the most expensive metal in-game right? I think it's even work more than platinum.

You can BUY your weapons-grade metal.

Also infinite glass weapon traps. And weapons if you mod them in (I do.)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:32 pm »

You realize that's the most expensive metal in-game right? I think it's even work more than platinum.

Worth 40, same as platinum. Also candy (at 300 IIRC).
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:36 am »

If you really want to trade with elves (and not just chuck their mutilated corpses into the volcano): aluminum bins. Still heavier than wood, but better than zinc. Also, the bin will probably be worth more than anything in it. Are there any mods for aluminum alloys (from native aluminum)?
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:52:59 am »

Until now, neither elves nor humans have shown up, and the third visit from the mountainhome is just leaving.

Yes, aluminium is worth much, and i traded 80k urists in gold crafts, but that doest change the fact that i am trade-dependand when it comes to weapons and armor.

Im still strip mining in hopes of iron, as i am reluctant to mine the candy yet... i still hear the screams of my last fortress when i dug one tile too much