Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's exact a terrible vengeance in: Dishonoured  (Read 5194 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Let's exact a terrible vengeance in: Dishonoured
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:48:19 am »

Stay low, stay quiet, and if you're lucky I wont have to put you to sleep.
Temporarily or otherwise...

Greetings and welcome, fellow fugitives! In this Let's Play we shall be joining Corvo Attano, the former Lord Protector and silent protagonist of Dishonoured. This game, a stealth-centric action RPG, which some have compared to the Thief games, was developed by Arkane Studios, published by Bethesda Softworks, and was released globally in October, 2012.

Set in the industrial city of Dunwall during a virulent rat plague which has decimated the population, we will be tasked with making our way (by street, roof-top, or gutter) through a series of missions as we attempt to bring justice to those, whose actions have stripped us of not only our title, but also our freedom... how we do that, however, is up to us.

Will Corvo choke the city on its own poison, cursing it to crumble beneath the impossible weight of his indignant and bloody wrath? Or will he, in his most private moments, still be able to make out the susurrus of mercy, buried but not forgotten, beneath the burden of his grief?

Join me, as I try to work my way into Corvo's head, and heart, and guide him along his path (whatever that may be), all the while soaking up the rich atmosphere of this gorgeous game!

Recent Woes:

Echoes of a painful past:

As always, any feedback or suggestions (sans spoilers) are warmly welcomed :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:07:16 pm by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Re: Let's exact a terrible vengeance in: Dishonoured
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:48 am »

Welcome Home
It's been several long months since I left Dunwall, and my Empress. Truth be told, I missed only the latter. While I love my city, that same love drives the dagger that much deeper now that I must watch it slowly sink into the mire of this plague.

The message I carry for her majesty may hold the secrets of a cure, but in truth, I suspect it does not. Even hope seems to have lost its way in these strange times...

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:50:26 am »

Sleeping on the Job
It's been six months, and I still see Jessamine's face in my dreams, the life draining from her eyes. I hear Emily's last scream, before the void stole her.

I could do nothing to prevent either of them being taken from me... Lord Protector, and all I could do was watch.

The white hot pain of the torturer's poker burrowing into my body is as nothing before the blistering hatred that threatens to consume me, as I remember the now 'Lord Regent' Burrows, and High Overseer Campbell gloating.

They think themselves untouchable on their lofty thrones, but soon I'll be free of this prison...  and they'll never see me coming.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:10:38 am »

I do think I'll watch this, Dishonoured is definitely a game that could never fit well enough into my game and play-style preferences, but I've seen gryphongod play it a few times on his stream and looks interesting to watch.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:33:14 am »

Dishonored is, unfortunately, terribly broken on the very basics of difficulty. The game provides no interesting material, due to absolute lack of challenges. With magical powers of bullshittery, you will hardly ever fail a sneaking portion, and should you choose to just manfight your way through : even fighting the endlessly spawning elite guards that are supposed to force you out of the prison is... trivial.

P.S. : There is no U
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:00:37 am »

I must admit, I am a little disappointed with the apparent increase in difficulty. I had hoped that very hard difficulty, with the advertised increase in perceptiveness of enemies, would make for a more challenging experience. Still, while the mechanics of the game remain a little (or a lot) on the casual side of things, I think I'll be able to have enough fun exploring the story while adding my own foibles to Corvo's character.

As for there being no 'u' in the title of the game, I suppose I was being somewhat facetious there ;)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:24:35 am »

Well there is a sequel confirmed.
In the previews of the first game though, it was supposed to be a pseudo sailing sand-box, like Ocarina of Time or Assassin's Creed 3.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 04:01:25 pm »

Hmm, without more information I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'll have to look it up online and dig a little deeper, but I suppose that might be enjoyable, plenty of scope for being acrobatic on a ship, though not as much for being stealthy I imagine.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:06:59 pm »

NOrmally I wouldn't watch a game like this(I prefer to play them) but your voice alone made me watch it...

Is that something I should judge by?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:32 pm »

lol, it's not my place to dictate the criteria you use to judge the LP, but if you enjoy my voice then by all means ;)

I'm having a lot of fun putting myself in Corvo's shoes so far. Though it's not exactly RP, or at least not seriously, my commentary is a bit too comical to fit properly with such a dark theme, but still I hope it's adding something to the experience rather than distracting from it :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:45:55 am by Aavak »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:42:26 am »

Though it's not exactly RP, or at least not seriously, my commentary is a bit to comical to fit properly with such a dark theme, but still I hope it's adding something to the experience rather than distracting from it :)
Clearly not going far enough with your roleplaying.

Full Infernocanuck-esque roleplaying, do it! Bonus points if your character gets addicted to drugs along the way! :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:05 am »

Ah, I've seen quite a few RP let's plays, though most have been of fantasy games, such as Skyrim, rather than Fallout (not that it isn't equally fantastical, but you know what I mean :P)

I don't think I could do this game justice as a serious RP attempt, though as I've mentioned to one person who commented on this topic, I fancy as the first few episodes go on I'll likely sink a bit more into (what I imagine to be) Corvo's personality. I don't expect to completely lose the humour in my commentary, after all, I'm playing to have fun rather than become depressed, but I strongly suspect my otherwise jovial nature will grow a bit darker throughout ;)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 01:21:17 pm »

New Friends
They don't know I'm free, though how long that will last I can't say. Security seems relaxed, despite the execution scheduled for tomorrow... I wonder if my 'friend' has something to do with that? Like the weapon, and the key, perhaps they arranged for some mixup in the guard shifts.

Whatever the reason, it makes my job easier, and with so few guards I may be able to slip past them without having to knock them out, or worse. They're soldiers, following orders, their ears may have been filled with poison but my quarrel isn't with them. Whether I can make it to the sewers without them changing that though, is another matter.

One way or another, I'm getting out of this prison, whether it's past the guards, or through them, is entirely up to them...

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 06:52:40 pm »

He Walks Among us
Out of the frying pan, into the fire, as the saying goes. The prison guards were an inconvenience. Honestly, it was mostly due to the fact I didn't want to spill anyone's blood who didn't deserve it. But the sewer rats are far more than a frustration...

I know the plague has gotten bad in Dunwall, but watching a swarm rip two guardsmen apart really drove home how serious it has gotten in these past six months. In a way, the prison shielded me from that. So it was with great relief that I finally met my contact, Samuel. There's something about this one that puts me at ease, none of the airs and graces you'd find in court, or the sly scheming either. I feel I can trust him, and it's been a very long time since I've felt that way about anyone. I'd say the same for his companions, but asides from the natural philosopher, Piero (who seems too absorbed in his science to have time for anything duplicitous), I'll need more time to get a handle on what their motives are.

For now though, they've given me back my freedom, and a chance to rescue Emily, and that's all that matters. Once I've washed the memories of the sewers from my body, and found a place to rest, the real work begins.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 07:52:10 am »

I'd say the same for his companions, but asides from the natural philosopher, Piero (who seems too absorbed in his science to have time for anything duplicitous), I'll need more time to get a handle on what their motives are.
"Here, put this mask on. Nobody will ever recognize you even though nobody else wears masks and you are the only known fugitive."

I will probably never play this game but I might watch a few more or your videos.
Pages: [1] 2