Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game Breakers?  (Read 5682 times)

ƧƔℳƂỠⱠ ƜȺℕ

• Bay Watcher
  • n͢͡a҉͞ṕ̶̶͘ą̸͘͘҉l̶̕͝ò̧̧́͢m̸̢̛̕͟o͢͡
    • View Profile
    • This Interesting Thing I Found on the Internet
Game Breakers?
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »

Let's discuss game breakers.

From YMMV/Dwarf Fortress - tvtropes.org:

Are ballistas game breakers? One ballista itself seems to be able to hold off huge raids.

Dwarven lightsabers/hypersonic hammers?

Weapon Traps are considered to be game breakers by some due to the massive amount of damage they deal. Likewise for cage traps, which unfailingly captures anything that isn't immune to traps, even megabeasts (and if you put a Giant Cave Spider web on it, it catches anything)

Economically, stoneware pottery. Fire clay can be gathered indefinitely and stockpiled near a magma kiln, which perpetually churns out crafts and large pots. Considering that stoneware can hold liquid without being glazed, you will never have problems with booze again. The value of stoneware crafts is comparable to obsidian, but are much easier to mass-produce; a few years of constant production will give incredible purchasing power.

In Adventurer mode, sneaking and finding a tile where rocks can be picked up that close to the enemy's range of vision. Then you can throw the rocks until he dies (or passes out, at which point you can walk up and slit his throat), without ever being seen.

You can make a small room full of low-quality menacing spike traps. Fill those traps with practice spears. Attach them to a lever or repeater. Station a squad of dorfs in the room and watch their dodging, blocking, armor using, shield using, and weapon skills go up at a ridiculous rate. As a bonus, if any of them actually manage to get hurt, it gives your doctors practice, too!

Are there any more game breakers? Should these be removed or updated?
What are your thoughts?
check out my blog: titifoti.tk

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Game Breakers?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:13:11 pm »

Ballistas make sense to be that powerful. It's a siege weapon.

Weapon traps? They're too amusing to get rid of.

Lightsabers and hypersonic hammers could be fixed, as well as the rocks.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:45:06 pm »

practically any ranged weapon is a game breaker. an elite bowman is equally terrifying as a megabeast. especially since it can shoot through fortifications and fuck up your marksdwarves.

you shouldn't get rid of them though. a weakness of ranged weapons is that they take AGES to kill anything (unless you shoot them in the head or heart). any creature with NO STUN or NO PAIN is incredibly dangerous for a ranged attacker.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:47:03 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »

Engraving every square inch of the fort is an absurdly easy way to create enough wealth to guarantee that migrants will replenish your population after each goblin ambush.

However, this is one of those things that can save the game, rather than break it, for those of us who are only average players.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:44 pm »

Engraving every square inch of the fort is an absurdly easy way to create enough wealth to guarantee that migrants will replenish your population after each goblin ambush.

However, this is one of those things that can save the game, rather than break it, for those of us who are only average players.

It'll also quadruple your ambush sizes and double your megabeast migrations :3

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:28:25 pm »

I know it's not the game breaker you had in mind but the hauling update and the requirement of wheelbarrows just to haul almost anything in Fortress Mode kind of made me want to stop playing Dwarf Fortress all together. I mean I know I'm supposed to adapt to that but I'm just not seeing how I should adapt to it or why I should have to have several dozen wheelbarrows just to haul everything about. It's about as problematic for me as the military update. I still haven't figured out how to train dwarves or set them up in a squad without them dying horribly in the first wave of invaders. At least for that I can just turn the damn invaders off.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 04:01:11 am »

...requirement of wheelbarrows just to haul almost anything in Fortress Mode...
I do not see a problem here as it only affects really heavy items, i.e. stones. And for those I really appreciate that I can limit the number of stone hauling dwarves by setting the number of wheelbarrows for the stone stockpile.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:14:08 am »

Farming in its current form is an infinite food supply that is always reliable. Kind of makes the whole frontier survival thing pretty easy.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:26:26 am »

Masterwork solves all these problems

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:32 am »

True. But in Masterwork, War Dragon Raptors are the game breaker, unless you are playing the Orc plugin, in which case Uruks wielding welded mithril daikatanas is the game breaker.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:10 pm »

Masterwork solves all these problems

Not engraving or wheelbarrows or ballistas. Masterwork isn't "the ultimate mod" or anything.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 07:21:37 am »

The real game breaker is the wall. Build one instead of a front door and you're safe forever.

I don't really see these "game breakers" as problems at this stage in the game's life cycle, though. DF is all about self-imposed challenges, so it's not such a bad thing to offer the player a selection of overpowered tools and let him say "no thanks." Especially when most people are going to die a horrible death even with those tools.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 03:11:55 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164906.msg8296757#msg8296757

You can reach on the starting day of your adventure dodger level of 20 and keep doing this until you are unhittable.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 07:17:45 am »

Necromancy :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 04:08:17 am »

Personally love Wheelbarrows.

As itg and others said it's the self-imposed challenges are the only thing between you and the worst fortress killer: boredom

Well said.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: [1] 2